Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:27:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Permanently keeping the 1MB (anti-spam) restriction is a great idea ...  (Read 104993 times)
r0ach
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 02, 2015, 02:41:35 PM
Last edit: November 03, 2015, 01:36:21 PM by r0ach

Not sure how this thread died.  Blockstream/small blocks are anti-free market and still need to be overthrown.  If Lightning Network has any legs it should be able to compete fine against larger blocks.  Not allowing the free market to choose is the problem.

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2015, 11:10:37 PM

Not sure how this thread died.  Blockstream/small blocks are anti-free market and still need to be overthrown.  If Lightning Network has any legs, it should be able to compete fine against larger blocks.  Not allowing the free market to choose is the problem.

This thread died with a whimper, not a a bang.  Death&Taxes got told "Not Tonight Dear."   Cheesy

I wish you all the best with your "Bitcoin" "Unlimited" altcoin project.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1007

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 01:26:25 AM

Raise the fucking block sizes already.

There is nothing to debate here, better earlier than later, as later it could cause more damage.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2015, 04:06:13 AM

That will happen eventually, but Not Tonight Dear.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Blue_Tiger73

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 07:19:13 AM

I definitely agree with this topic. 1MB size limit is great as it is anti-spam. There was quite a big debate about block sizes. The block size limit at the start of bitcoin was 36MB but they reduced it to 1MB in 2010 because of spam. You can read about that here.
Zarathustra
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 10:46:28 AM

But soonish. Core's (blockthestream inc.) attempt to take over bitcoin got REKT.
They got competition by implementations that are ready for the next bubble.
Developer centralization is over. Totalitarianism doesn't work here.
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 01:10:29 PM

But soonish. Core's (blockthestream inc.) attempt to take over bitcoin got REKT.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Not only that, downstream users, rely on Bitcoin Core because they know it has the expertise and stability. XT has nothing, in the short time of it’s existence, hardly any changes have been merged, and what has been has deep technical flaws. Meanwhile Bitcoin Core has made literally hundreds of improvements.

XT #REKT

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
hdbuck
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 03, 2015, 01:12:22 PM

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Not only that, downstream users, rely on Bitcoin Core because they know it has the expertise and stability. XT has nothing, in the short time of it’s existence, hardly any changes have been merged, and what has been has deep technical flaws. Meanwhile Bitcoin Core has made literally hundreds of improvements.

XT #REKT

lel, delusions all over the place.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 05:11:14 PM

can someone have a more updated graphic ? Thanks  Wink
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 05:17:53 PM

So the OP is gone forever? The biggest and most knowledgable Bitcoin advocate from back in the day is gone forever from the "official" Bitcoin forum. wtf

He didn't end up being a scammer like cypherdoc or goat did he?

On Topic: Keeping the spam restriction is a great idea. Probably not forever.

brg444

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 05:19:24 PM

So the OP is gone forever? The biggest and most knowledgable Bitcoin advocate from back in the day is gone forever from the "official" Bitcoin forum. wtf

He did actually

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 05:38:28 PM

He did actually

Firstly, I consider 'the most knowledgeable Bitcoin advocate' to be Stephen Gornick.  By a mile!  He is still around, but I run across his work as little now as I did often back in the day.

Secondly, I'm not aware of any blatant scammery that Gerald was involved in.  I may just not be paying close enough attention, so if you wish to expand on your statement that would be interesting.

I would note that 'old timers' who choose to be economically active (trying to set up a business or interaction with others, etc) likely did quite well.  A rising tide floats all boats as they say.  The fall-out is that many of them opened themselves up to various points of pressure as Bitcoin garnered the attention of the various 'powers that be.'  It is probably more common than not that 'old timers' are struggling to deal with their own success, and this should be considered when analyzing the ecosystem at a point in time.  Some of the unusual behaviors (usually simply dropping out, but sometimes more mysterious) could be explained as having come under external pressures of one form or another.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
brg444

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 05:50:48 PM

He did actually

Secondly, I'm not aware of any blatant scammery that Gerald was involved in.  I may just not be paying close enough attention, so if you wish to expand on your statement that would be interesting.

Was going to but was posting from my phone. I just was able to retrieve the info from my desktop. It kinda flew under the radar indeed. Here goes:

Gerald Davis a.k.a. DeathAndTaxes of BitSimple (BitSimple.com) and Tangible Cryptography (tangiblecryptography.com) sought out and accepted $600,000 in fiat and bitcoin from investors in January 2014. These funds were acquired by selling stock in Tangible Cryptography and were to be invested in BitSimple.com.

BitSimple.com shut down bank transfer operations in May 2014. The investors were not informed until August 2014. Mr. Davis was asked to consider dissolving the company in August 2014 after he reported a theft of around $25,000 and no banking accounts. Gerald Davis did not respond and failed to communicate to shareholders from August 2014 to January 2015. During this time a six figure amount of US dollars was redirected to Mr. Davis and members of his family.

In February 2015 Gerald asked us to vote for a company dissolution and scheduled the fist company meeting. The shareholders refused to vote for dissolution because promised finical reports were not delivered.

Gerald Davis then asked for more time due to personal reasons and this was granted. However at this time Gerald Davis is no longer communicating or responding to investors.

The BitSimple fiasco
Somewhere in early January 2014 (during a chat about immersion cooled high-density ASICs) DaT incidentally told me that he was collecting money for a seed funding of his BitSimple exchange service. I did not even thought about it twice but agreed to buy what is left and ended with 390k from a total of 1200k series A shares. With the total sum of $600k collected, my payment was a $195k equivalent in BTC. Iirc, all of the handful investors paid in BTC, which made this seed funding the first processed completely in the BTC domain. Shares were managed by the gust platform.

I was very well aware of the involved risk, but at the same time I felt it is not worse than putting my coins into pre-orders of mining equipment or into doubious bitcoin companies. After being defrauded and betrayed by so many, my hope was straight and simple: if there is one person to remain honest, it must be DaT - if he did not, it was time to leave this community.

What happened thereafter is what OP is reporting. I was very disappointed to realize that Gerald managed to spend the collected funds mostly to pay his employed family-members - even if most of the time the exchange was not operational due to a missing bank account. Even if this might be legal, it is very unethical and puts him and his intentions in a very suspicious light. Still, I was willing to accept this as business failure when the company is dissolved and remaining assets were distributed to investors (which would give us back some 15%). But shortly after the investors agreed to do so, DaT stopped communicating and is not reachable any more for the past 6 months.

This is a sad ending for a bright shining star.

You too, Gerald?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=998257.msg12620721#msg12620721

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 05:59:16 PM

He did actually

Secondly, I'm not aware of any blatant scammery that Gerald was involved in.  I may just not be paying close enough attention, so if you wish to expand on your statement that would be interesting.

Was going to but was posting from my phone. I just was able to retrieve the info from my desktop. It kinda flew under the radar indeed. Here goes:

Gerald Davis a.k.a. DeathAndTaxes of BitSimple (BitSimple.com) and Tangible Cryptography (tangiblecryptography.com) sought out and accepted $600,000 in fiat and bitcoin from investors in January 2014. These funds were acquired by selling stock in Tangible Cryptography and were to be invested in BitSimple.com.

BitSimple.com shut down bank transfer operations in May 2014. The investors were not informed until August 2014. Mr. Davis was asked to consider dissolving the company in August 2014 after he reported a theft of around $25,000 and no banking accounts. Gerald Davis did not respond and failed to communicate to shareholders from August 2014 to January 2015. During this time a six figure amount of US dollars was redirected to Mr. Davis and members of his family.

In February 2015 Gerald asked us to vote for a company dissolution and scheduled the fist company meeting. The shareholders refused to vote for dissolution because promised finical reports were not delivered.

Gerald Davis then asked for more time due to personal reasons and this was granted. However at this time Gerald Davis is no longer communicating or responding to investors.

The BitSimple fiasco
Somewhere in early January 2014 (during a chat about immersion cooled high-density ASICs) DaT incidentally told me that he was collecting money for a seed funding of his BitSimple exchange service. I did not even thought about it twice but agreed to buy what is left and ended with 390k from a total of 1200k series A shares. With the total sum of $600k collected, my payment was a $195k equivalent in BTC. Iirc, all of the handful investors paid in BTC, which made this seed funding the first processed completely in the BTC domain. Shares were managed by the gust platform.

I was very well aware of the involved risk, but at the same time I felt it is not worse than putting my coins into pre-orders of mining equipment or into doubious bitcoin companies. After being defrauded and betrayed by so many, my hope was straight and simple: if there is one person to remain honest, it must be DaT - if he did not, it was time to leave this community.

What happened thereafter is what OP is reporting. I was very disappointed to realize that Gerald managed to spend the collected funds mostly to pay his employed family-members - even if most of the time the exchange was not operational due to a missing bank account. Even if this might be legal, it is very unethical and puts him and his intentions in a very suspicious light. Still, I was willing to accept this as business failure when the company is dissolved and remaining assets were distributed to investors (which would give us back some 15%). But shortly after the investors agreed to do so, DaT stopped communicating and is not reachable any more for the past 6 months.

You too, Gerald?

Holy shit, I was half joking. And such a cliché thing to do too. That means he scammed in exactly the same way goat did, issuing a security. I thought the days of GLBSE were over. Thanks for the info.

BTW: I agree Stephen Gornick is great but I still see him around. DnT not so much.

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 06:13:32 PM

Holy shit, I was half joking. And such a cliché thing to do too. That means he [Gerald Davis, aka Death&Taxes] scammed in exactly the same way goat did, issuing a security. I thought the days of GLBSE were over. Thanks for the info. ...
2nd'd

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 06:51:14 PM

Holy shit, I was half joking. And such a cliché thing to do too. That means he scammed in exactly the same way goat did, issuing a security. I thought the days of GLBSE were over. Thanks for the info.

There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee - that says, fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 06:57:43 PM

There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee - that says, fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again.

Equilux

Activity: 353
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 07:01:50 PM

Holy shit, I was half joking. And such a cliché thing to do too. That means he [Gerald Davis, aka Death&Taxes] scammed in exactly the same way goat did, issuing a security. I thought the days of GLBSE were over. Thanks for the info. ...
2nd'd
Holy shit indeed, that's sad

hdbuck
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 07:23:19 PM

2nd'd
Holy shit indeed, that's sad

That's reality.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 09:37:27 PM

He did actually

The BitSimple fiasco

You too, Gerald?

such a sad stereotypical pattern emerging ... capital accrues in worthy hands in a healthy system.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: