Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:30:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Reach out for the white spots!  (Read 9438 times)
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2012, 02:53:16 PM
Last edit: October 09, 2012, 07:56:37 PM by jim618

Thanks to the efforts of techmix and mohammad_rafigh there is now a Farsi translation of MultiBit. They will share the bounty on this translation work (pro rata on number of terms done).

It just missed the 0.4.11 release which went out today but here is a screen shot:

Updated below

I will spend a bit of time over the weekend tidying up some of the layout anomalies (white space, placement of 'BTC') and aim to get it out early next week.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 07:50:21 PM

Thanks to the efforts of techmix and mohammad_rafigh there is now a Farsi translation of MultiBit.

Well that was easy, and fast!  Ok, the next translation I personally am looking forward to seeing completed is the Hindi.  The Persian translation yielded 2.7 BTC.  I'll start it off with a pledge of 2.7 BTC for completion of the Hindi translations.

Jim, would that be another instance where you could set up a bounty for it with a dedicated bitcoin address?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

jim618
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2012, 07:59:15 PM

Yes it was impressively quick !

I will set up a bounty for the Hindi in a similar way. Will do it tomorrow (Sat) morning.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
giszmo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2012, 08:41:05 PM

Jim how do you treat the questions of quality and word length? I could easily contribute by picking all the one word "phrases" and auto-translate by google.

Actually I have a project where I got community help and me doing google-translations in an attempt to help my contributors lead to my (=maintainer) translations overruling the native speaker's correction on getlocalization having me to up-vote their correction manually.

Anyway, as long as contributors don't complain about to much work or unfair rules I highly welcome Jim's attempt to reach for the white spots and hope for other projects to follow (or be more aggressive about their localisation attempts) Wink

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
jim618
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2012, 08:59:17 PM

For quality checking I was going to take some samples and reverse translate with Google to check they made sense.

I have also asked the translators to have a check once the version with their text is in. Often you can only pick up inconsistencies when you actually see the text in situ. There is no BTC for this - I am hoping people will take pride in their work for this.

I was not going to bother with word length in the payment metric - mainly because the crowdin.net platform does not give me that. It does give number of terms done by translator.

The terms of the bounty are phrased in terms of terms approved i.e. that actually get into the code base. If you autotranslated and someone else gave human translated phrases and theirs were then approved then they would get the bounty.

Of course you need a native speaker to do the approving but hopefully it will stop someone contributing rubbish.
If people are obviously gaming it to the point of uselessness as the terms of the bounty are in approvals it would be legitimate to approve nothing, throw everything away and return the bounty. If it gets to that point I will stop doing bounties and go back to people doing it for the love of it !

jim618
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2012, 11:11:14 AM

I have set up bounties for the translation of the remaining Arabic and Hindi phrases of MultiBit.
If you are interested in either contributing to a bounty or doing the translation, please have a look here:

multibit.org/bounties.html

There is a link from the main text on the multibit.org landing page too.

giszmo (OP)
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2012, 05:48:41 PM

Please post once the Farsi bounties have been paid. If it worked well, I will contribute more to other languages.

WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
jim618
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2012, 06:37:13 PM

Yes - will do.
I am waiting for a reply from one of the translators for their address.
Also, I want to do a bit of QA on the phrases before I send out the bounty.

Current Arabic bounty

Current Hindi bounty

RE: other languages - that would be excellent but I would prefer it if we don't run too many languages in parallel. There is a bit of overhead in running bounties and there is other development work I want to keep progressing as well.

Ashkanian

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 06:35:04 PM
Last edit: October 07, 2012, 07:30:59 PM by Ashkanian

Hi everyone I'm from Iran I'm one of the friends of techmix(one of the translator) actually we as PEOPLE OF IRAN don't have any kind of problem with any nation or countries even USA or ISRAEL it's a government and political problem but some people think that we're very wide and we like a big terrorist but it isn’t true we have a lot of problem because of these sanctions so I said as a person who lived in Tehran Bitcoin is great for Iranian people we are not stupid I'm telling you why it is great for us for example : Islamic Azad University is a private university in Iran and with a total of over 400 campuses, is a unique institution, that can be considered one of the largest in the world (more information). it has a lot of branches here so as you know many universities especially if they have a ENGINEERING department they have computer engineering faculty so we have a lot of these student in Iran who study these science also we have a lot of private institute that teach Networking and these things so just think that these student want to challenge with servers and VPS so they can learn better and working with server and you know ask their problem from their professors for that even for these little thing they can use bitcoin and buy some VPS for their self and this is good for everyone because you know in Btcoin ... THE MORE THE MERRIER ... we all use the benefit of bitcoin and notice that because of sanctions we can’t use credit card so this is the best way for us to buy what we want but NO ONE I emphasize NO ONE(except few people like Jim and some of you that donate us and support us)help us we don’t say give us money but you know some people they didn’t even bother them self to reply an email to us for example techmix few days ago emailed to admin of bitcoin.it and asked from him that make a Farsi section for us that we can translate wiki for Iranians but although techmix emailed 2 or 3 times to him he didn’t reply anything to him so now here we are ... we must buy VPS and build a site for this so as you could see it just not because we don't want to give information to Iranian People we want but some people think that because we're Iranian so if they work with us some how Obama and US government Banned them or I don't know ARREST them and these NON-sense things ... by the way from techmix & all the rest of our team I appreciated from you that donate us some bitcoin it is what you do that give us energy to work again
thank you very much  Kiss
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 07:14:37 PM

Hi everyone I'm from Iran I'm one of the friends of techmix(one of the translator) actually we as PEOPLE OF IRAN don't have any kind of problem with any nation or countries even USA or ISRAEL it's a government and political problem but some people think that we're very wide and we like a big terrorist but it isn’t true we have a lot of problem because of these sanctions so I said as a person who lived in Tehran Bitcoin is great for Iranian people we are not stupid I'm telling you why it is great for us for example : Islamic Azad University is a private university in Iran and with a total of over 400 campuses, is a unique institution, that can be considered one of the largest in the world (more information). it has a lot of branches here so as you know many universities especially if they have a ENGINEERING department they have computer engineering faculty so we have a lot of these student in Iran who study these science also we have a lot of private institute that teach Networking and these things so just think that these student want to challenge with servers and VPS so they can learn better and working with server and you know ask their problem from their professors for that even for these little thing they can use bitcoin and buy some VPS for their self and this is good for everyone because you know in Btcoin ... THE MORE THE MERRIER ... we all use the benefit of bitcoin and notice that because of sanctions we can’t use credit card so this is the best way for us to buy what we want but NO ONE I emphasize NO ONE(except few people like Jim and some of you that donate us and support us)help us we don’t say give us money but you know some people they didn’t even bother them self to reply an email to us for example techmix few days ago emailed to admin of bitcoin.it and asked from him that make a Farsi section for us that we can translate wiki for Iranians but although techmix emailed 2 or 3 times to him he didn’t reply anything to him so now here we are ... we must buy VPS and build a site for this so as you could see it just not because we don't want to give information to Iranian People we want but some people think that because we're Iranian so if they work with us some how Obama and US government Banned them or I don't know ARREST them and these NON-sense things ... by the way from techmix & all the rest of our team I appreciated from you that donate us some bitcoin it is what you do that give us energy to work again
thank you very much  Kiss

http://twitter.com/withfreeiran

I ran a proxy server for connections originating in Iran a few years back.  Bitcoin + Iran (with its loads of young, smart people) could be prime for true revolution...

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
goodlord666

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

100%

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 11:46:16 PM

I understand there's some US export embargo on a number of countries for cryptographic software. Are we talking about that?

Bitcoin isn't a US software product. It just utilizes some cryptography made in US.

dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 12:10:55 AM

I understand there's some US export embargo on a number of countries for cryptographic software. Are we talking about that?

Bitcoin isn't a US software product. It just utilizes some cryptography made in US.

The US has full embargo with Iran, so nothing (bar some very specific exceptions) can be exported to there directly.
giszmo (OP)
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 02:05:06 AM

The US has full embargo with Iran, so nothing (bar some very specific exceptions) can be exported to there directly.

Ok, so technically browsing a website always is "downloading" some index.html. So if downloading the bitcoin.exe is illegal, why isn't downloading the index.html or downloading the somethingWentWrong.html illegal?
Can please somebody rename bitcoin.exe to bitcoin.exe.htmlindex.html!

ɃɃ
jim618
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 06:41:35 AM

MultiBit/bitcoinj uses the crypto software called BouncyCastle, which is Australian.

jim618
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 10:55:36 AM

I have paid out the bounty for the Farsi translation of MultiBit.

I have put the details here:
http://multibit.org/bounties.html

(As all the bounty information is on the blockchain and the translation details are all available at translate.multibit.org I think it is ok to put all the details in the public domain).

jim618
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 07:58:49 PM

Now that there is a 100% Farsi translation of MultiBit I have improved the right-to-left layout.
It is not perfect but I think it is now usable.
Screenshot in Farsi:

I plan to get this released this week.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 08:01:41 PM

Now that there is a 100% Farsi translation of MultiBit

Jon Matonis just wrote on how the Bitcoin.org client software (binaries and source), which uses SourceForge, is unavailable to those from Iran:
 - http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmatonis/2012/10/09/as-inflation-rages-in-iran-bitcoin-software-not-available/

MutliBit differs in that it uses GitHub for distributing the software but that it is not software from the U.S..  Is access to MultiBit on GitHub also restricted for those from Iran?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Ashkanian

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 08:13:11 AM

No. I'm just talking generally not us sanction I'm just saying that because of media a lot of people in a lot of countries think that we're some kind of terrorist ...
I know that bitcoin is not US software so maybe we translate it after this one but now we want to give information to our people so they realize what is bitcoin & how great is this Wink
Ashkanian

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 08:27:37 AM
Last edit: October 11, 2012, 09:05:31 AM by Ashkanian

Now that there is a 100% Farsi translation of MultiBit

Jon Matonis just wrote on how the Bitcoin.org client software (binaries and source), which uses SourceForge, is unavailable to those from Iran:
 - http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmatonis/2012/10/09/as-inflation-rages-in-iran-bitcoin-software-not-available/

MutliBit differs in that it uses GitHub for distributing the software but that it is not software from the U.S..  Is access to MultiBit on GitHub also restricted for those from Iran?
yes this is true some time government block some site like facebook,youtube, ... but some time US and the main site block their service for Iranian I don't know why they do this because as Obama said(link) it doesn't related to sanction but anyway they do this and now for this some how blocking from this side and that side many people use VPN , PROXY , TOR and many other things to access to the WORLD WIDE WEB  Grin
jim618
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2012, 02:44:32 PM

The Farsi translation is now in the MultiBit release at:

multibit.org

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: