Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:56:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: This is HUGE: WIKISPEED, first car-maker in the world to accept Bitcoin  (Read 19624 times)
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2012, 12:27:09 AM
Last edit: July 24, 2012, 12:50:28 AM by casascius

Pretty soon you'll be able to buy a Moller SkyCar for bitcoins!

Those are just toys for the rich.  This wikispeed commuter car does have me interested, though.

They are toys for the rich in imagination and an unlimited appetite for unfulfilled promises and an empty wallet.  For those rich in the usually understood sense and want something that actually flies, there's Cessna, Cirrus, Gulfstream, Lancair, etc.

Someone who wants a 100mpg commuter vehicle can buy a motorcycle today.  Leaps and bounds in automotive technology are unlikely to come from someone barely figuring out how to integrate a door and a roof into a mass production run of their car.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
nedbert9

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Inactive

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 12:31:52 AM

Impressive.
Littleshop
Legendary

Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2012, 12:37:42 AM

I have always liked the idea of a modular car.   If a serious market develops, you will have alternative engine and body kits all made mostly interchangeable. 

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2012, 01:16:52 AM

/sub

I see you claim to use SCRUM in a huge distributed team but the paper scrum wall implies you only scrum locally. Did you consider using Kunagi? I would love to show you around in Kunagi (the first steps can be confusing but it all makes sense after minutes) as I find it near perfect as an online solution replacing what I did in my local scrum teams with paper, planning poker cards, …
I would even prefer using Kunagi over paper on a local team.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
dunand

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 01:25:26 AM

This is great. I really like the fact that it's modular and you can swap pieces around. They should make computers like this. I'm thinking about the Retina MacBook.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2012, 01:26:55 AM

The question needs to be asked....Could you take the principles used at wikispeed and apply them to aircraft manufacturing ?

Im thinking here of a wikispeed personal aircraft...

AndrewBUD

Activity: 1078
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2012, 01:35:45 AM

This is great. I really like the fact that it's modular and you can swap pieces around. They should make computers like this. I'm thinking about the Retina MacBook.

They don't make computers that you can swap pieces?

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▄██P'                  `Y██▄
███'                      `███
███'                         ███
▄██'   ▄█████▄▄  ,▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄p   ███
▄██▀  ,████▀P▀███.`██████████P   ▀██▄
███[ ,████ __. ███.   ,▄████▀    ███
███[ ]████████████[  ▄████▀       ███
███[ `████   ,oo2 ▄████▀'       ,███
▀██▄  `████▄▄█████d███████████   ▄██▀
▀██.   `▀▀▀▀▀▀"  Y▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ,██▀
███.                        ,███
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀███▄_                 ,███▀
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

EZ365 is a digital ecosystem that combines
the best aspects of online gaming, cryptocurrency
trading
and blockchain education. ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

..WHITEPAPER..    ..INVESTOR PITCH..

.Telegram     Twitter   Facebook

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
                     ****M██████m.~███f~~__mW█
          ██▀▀▀████████=  Y██▀▀██W ,gm███████
      g█████▄▄▄██   █A~`_WW Y█  ██!,████████
   g▀▀▀███   ████▀▀`_m████i!████P W███  ██
 _███▄▄▄██▀▀▀███Af`_m███   █W ███A ]███  ██
__ ~~~▀▀▀▀▄▄▄█*f_m██████   ██i!██!i███████
Y█████▄▄▄▄__. i██▀▀▀██████████ █!,██████
 8█  █▀▀█████.!██   ██████████i! █████
 '█  █  █   █W M█▄▄▄██████   ██ !██
  !███▄▄█   ██i'██████████   ██
   Y███████████.]██████████████
   █   ███████b ███   ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
 _▄▄█████████▀▀~`,▄████████████▄▄▄
 ~▀▀████▀▀~`,_▄▄███████████████▀▀▀
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
   ]█! m▄▄ '~▀▀▀████▀▀~~ ,_▄▄
  ,W█. *████▄▄__ '  __▄▄█████
  !██P  █████████████████████
   W█. - ██████████████████▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
[/tabl
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 01:40:48 AM

They don't make computers that you can swap pieces?

Apple doesn't Tongue.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Electricbees

Activity: 322

We are bees, and we hate you.

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 01:46:41 AM

Is anyone familiar with the early model Honda Insight? The most fuel-efficient, mass-produced consumer vehicle in history? (Yet?)

Anyone remember the technology that went into making the most fuel efficient consumer car in history?

1.0 liter 3 cylinder engine?
Lean-burn with stoichiometric gas/air ratio of 1/25.8?
Hugely plastic chassis and seats 2 comfortably plus some groceries?
It's a hybrid?
Manual transmission or a CVT?
Looked HORRIBLE as far as appearances went?

So, where the hell is all this stuff on this supposed 100mpg vehicle?
And why aren't they selling it for $150,000+?

I think anyone can tell you the answer to that...

Donations are welcome!
1BEES19ds5gEnRBoU1qNFPfjRXe94trMG3
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2012, 01:49:13 AM

I guess they just like making them out of solid pieces of aluminium.

nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 02:07:11 AM

I guess they just like making them out of solid pieces of aluminium.
Have you read Steve Job's biography? It talks about that. He would always insist that the inside look pretty, and that nobody ever see the inside. Look up the NeXT as well.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2012, 02:09:20 AM

The first person to buy a car with Bitcoin is totally gonna be more famous than that pizza guy Smiley

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Littleshop
Legendary

Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2012, 02:38:17 AM

Is anyone familiar with the early model Honda Insight? The most fuel-efficient, mass-produced consumer vehicle in history? (Yet?)

Anyone remember the technology that went into making the most fuel efficient consumer car in history?

It's a hybrid?

The Insight no AC manual tranny is the MPG king but it is real close now.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectEngine.jsp?year=2000&make=Honda&model=Insight

The Insight is 53 combined rating under the new ratings, the Prius C is 51.  The Insight with AC/auto is about 50 mpg under the new ratings.

The high mpg rating (70mpg highway) on the original Insight was done on an easier test. 

The Insight chassis was actually just plastic covered in some spots, it was mostly aluminum and often said to be 'hand assembled' at a loss. 

rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 02:44:55 AM

Meanwhile, the Volkswagen Lupo 3L TDI got 78MPG, but was never (as far as I know) available in the US. It had a 3-cylinder turbodiesel with direct injection.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2012, 02:45:24 AM

The question needs to be asked....Could you take the principles used at wikispeed and apply them to aircraft manufacturing ?

What principles are used at Wikispeed that would help manufacture aircraft better than what we're doing now?

The hardest part of designing an aircraft isn't designing it, 90% of it is passing all the damn tests to get it certified and getting certification on every damn little thing you want to do.  Sadly, a major part of what makes an airplane design "great" is how long it's been flown without any problems, as safety is on more people's minds than features.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 02:48:38 AM

It's a hybrid?

The Insight no AC manual tranny is the MPG king but it is real close now.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectEngine.jsp?year=2000&make=Honda&model=Insight

The Insight is 53 combined rating under the new ratings, the Prius C is 51.  The Insight with AC/auto is about 50 mpg under the new ratings.

The high mpg rating (70mpg highway) on the original Insight was done on an easier test. 

The Insight chassis was actually just plastic covered in some spots, it was mostly aluminum and often said to be 'hand assembled' at a loss. 

Um, maybe the ~1,400 lb. weight helps just a smidge.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 02:51:24 AM

What principles are used at Wikispeed that would help manufacture aircraft better than what we're doing now?

The hardest part of designing an aircraft isn't designing it, 90% of it is passing all the damn tests to get it certified and getting certification on every damn little thing you want to do.  Sadly, a major part of what makes an airplane design "great" is how long it's been flown without any problems, as safety is on more people's minds than features.

Here's where you start:
http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/aircraft_certification/airworthiness_certification/

Sure, it would take capital to do the paperwork, but you can crowdsource the tests to people who are building prototypes along with you.  You each specialize in one area and send parts around.  That's how.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2012, 02:59:21 AM

Here's where you start:
http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/aircraft_certification/airworthiness_certification/

Sure, it would take capital to do the paperwork, but you can crowdsource the tests to people who are building prototypes along with you.  You each specialize in one area and send parts around.  That's how.

Is there already an existing modular aircraft design ?

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2012, 03:48:28 AM

Here's where you start:

So the Wikispeed secret is to find qualified unpaid volunteers willing to risk their lives as test pilots all begging to be the first to climb into some untested contraption and hit the throttle?  I could see how this might work for space travel (moon or bust!) but not for a new personal aircraft paradigm.

Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2012, 03:50:05 AM

Here's where you start:

So the Wikispeed secret is to find qualified unpaid volunteers willing to risk their lives as test pilots being the first to climb into some untested contraption and hit the throttle?

It worked for the US Air Force ?

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: