Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:05:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: This is HUGE: WIKISPEED, first car-maker in the world to accept Bitcoin  (Read 19614 times)
chrisrico

Activity: 496
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 05:43:02 AM

I hope I'm wrong but somehow if Bitcoin and wikiwikispeed is such a perfect match, why so late?

My understanding is that the OP pitched the idea of Bitcoin funding to the existing Wikispeed people and they said "sure, that sounds like it wouldn't suck, you handle that" or something. Late will be the realm of major car companies, I'd say.
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 06:24:30 AM

I call vaporware.
Way to fail.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2012, 06:34:21 AM

If that's the case, they did a mighty fine job pulling the alpaca sock over everybody's head over in Detroit.

~Bruno~
nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 12:03:46 PM

Show me a sale. Seems everything which touches Bitcoin is announced years ahead of time and never arrives, or arrives very lates.
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 03:54:25 PM

Show me a sale. Seems everything which touches Bitcoin is announced years ahead of time and never arrives, or arrives very lates.
If you're too dumb to click on the video link to see the guy driving one of the prototypes, which is for sale right this second, why should I bother? And now you're bashing Bitcoin? /ignore.
nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 05:41:18 PM

I'm not bashing Bitcoin, I'm bashing the vaporware which happens way too often. Just "because Bitcoin" doesn't mean people should announce every thought that pops into their heads.

In any case, it has no roof. Like I said, show me a sale. It doesn't even have to be paid in bitcoins, and I'm betting that it won't be.
Taz

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 06:00:07 PM
Last edit: July 25, 2012, 07:27:01 PM by Taz

Not to bicker but it is still just a prototype.
Few would cash out for an unfinished product.
It is at least progressing towards a finished product.

I do wish them the best of luck,
but I figure the RSA (Road Safety Authority) and other countries' equivalent would have something to say about any Tom, Dick and Harry building their own car in the backyard, over a few beers.
miscreanity
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 06:44:08 PM

I'm not bashing Bitcoin, I'm bashing the vaporware which happens way too often. Just "because Bitcoin" doesn't mean people should announce every thought that pops into their heads.

This is why normal people with a little persistence are called "visionary" in retrospect, after they toil away with the meager resources they can pull together on their own. Fools engage in emotional negativity and knee-jerk reactions, often without bothering to investigate further before rejecting anything out of the ordinary.

In any case, it has no roof. Like I said, show me a sale. It doesn't even have to be paid in bitcoins, and I'm betting that it won't be.

Some of the first cars didn't have brakes. Early computers had no graphical interface. Bitcoin doesn't have idiot-proof client software yet. Should they all have been abandoned?

Those are all revolutionary; Wikispeed is an incremental improvement - a mashup. At the very least, the initial idea of applying rapid development methods may influence others who will refine it and lower production costs.

• Visionary: Hey, I have an idea that might be cool. Want to help me try it out?
  • Fools: NO NRRRGHGNGNN VAPORWARE GAAAAH!!

Another version:

• SW: Let's see if we can add sound to moving pictures.
  • HW: Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?

So, do you still want to stay mired in unwarranted negativity? After all, in your infinite wisdom and knowledge, it can't be done - right?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2012, 08:02:31 PM

This is why normal people with a little persistence are called "visionary" in retrospect, after they toil away with the meager resources they can pull together on their own. Fools engage in emotional negativity and knee-jerk reactions, often without bothering to investigate further before rejecting anything out of the ordinary.

Some of the first cars didn't have brakes. Early computers had no graphical interface. Bitcoin doesn't have idiot-proof client software yet. Should they all have been abandoned?

Those are all revolutionary; Wikispeed is an incremental improvement - a mashup. At the very least, the initial idea of applying rapid development methods may influence others who will refine it and lower production costs.

• Visionary: Hey, I have an idea that might be cool. Want to help me try it out?
  • Fools: NO NRRRGHGNGNN VAPORWARE GAAAAH!!

Another version:

• SW: Let's see if we can add sound to moving pictures.
  • HW: Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?

So, do you still want to stay mired in unwarranted negativity? After all, in your infinite wisdom and knowledge, it can't be done - right?

One of the comments on the last link you provided above.

Where's the Kickstarter project so I can buy one / cofund this?

A naysayer's comment: Who the hell is going to buy that piece of shit. The first time it rains, all you'll have left is a pile of wet paper.

But a visionary replies with: I developed a sealer that I believe would solve that problem.

Naysayer: Of course now the damn thing is going to cost more than $9.00.

Visionary: You mean 1 BTC, for that's the only way you can purchase these now. If you don't mind, would you get out of our way? We have work to do.
nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 10:44:42 PM

No. I just don't want people announcing stuff which doesn't exist. Sure wikispeed has prototypes, but I bet they won't sell one before June of next year. I don't really care to know about it right now. I'm not a venture capitalist. Same thing with BFL, Bitcoincard, Ellet, etc. Maybe if any one of these people set an ETA which was anywhere near on time (does wikispeed even have an ETA?) then I'd be interested.

Really, I'm bashing the unrealistic ETA's. Some of these products won't ever exist, even though they were supposed to come out months ago. There's a saying that it's better to be 15 minutes early, so that even if you're 12 minutes late, you're still on time. Really, once I left middle school, I stopped being late.

I'm starting to think I can make money on this. Every announcement of a big product in this forum, I'll ask for an ETA. Then I'll make a bet that they won't hit it. We can do a negative interest thing: for every day before the eta that they ship, I'll give them 1% extra. For every day late, they give me 1% extra.
AndrewBUD

Activity: 1078
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2012, 11:20:31 PM

Every announcement of a big product in this forum, I'll ask for an ETA. Then I'll make a bet that they won't hit it. We can do a negative interest thing: for every day before the eta that they ship, I'll give them 1% extra. For every day late, they give me 1% extra.

I think BFL should do this.

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▄██P'                  `Y██▄
███'                      `███
███'                         ███
▄██'   ▄█████▄▄  ,▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄p   ███
▄██▀  ,████▀P▀███.`██████████P   ▀██▄
███[ ,████ __. ███.   ,▄████▀    ███
███[ ]████████████[  ▄████▀       ███
███[ `████   ,oo2 ▄████▀'       ,███
▀██▄  `████▄▄█████d███████████   ▄██▀
▀██.   `▀▀▀▀▀▀"  Y▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ,██▀
███.                        ,███
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀███▄_                 ,███▀
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

EZ365 is a digital ecosystem that combines
the best aspects of online gaming, cryptocurrency
trading
and blockchain education. ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

..WHITEPAPER..    ..INVESTOR PITCH..

.Telegram     Twitter   Facebook

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
                     ****M██████m.~███f~~__mW█
          ██▀▀▀████████=  Y██▀▀██W ,gm███████
      g█████▄▄▄██   █A~`_WW Y█  ██!,████████
   g▀▀▀███   ████▀▀`_m████i!████P W███  ██
 _███▄▄▄██▀▀▀███Af`_m███   █W ███A ]███  ██
__ ~~~▀▀▀▀▄▄▄█*f_m██████   ██i!██!i███████
Y█████▄▄▄▄__. i██▀▀▀██████████ █!,██████
 8█  █▀▀█████.!██   ██████████i! █████
 '█  █  █   █W M█▄▄▄██████   ██ !██
  !███▄▄█   ██i'██████████   ██
   Y███████████.]██████████████
   █   ███████b ███   ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
 _▄▄█████████▀▀~`,▄████████████▄▄▄
 ~▀▀████▀▀~`,_▄▄███████████████▀▀▀
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
   ]█! m▄▄ '~▀▀▀████▀▀~~ ,_▄▄
  ,W█. *████▄▄__ '  __▄▄█████
  !██P  █████████████████████
   W█. - ██████████████████▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
[/tabl
Philj

Activity: 388
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 11:35:19 PM

I've set aside 100 bitcoins for this or another similar car project if one comes along. Whenever I can buy a car with those 100 bitcoins I will.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 02:54:07 AM

I've set aside 100 bitcoins for this or another similar car project if one comes along. Whenever I can buy a car with those 100 bitcoins I will.

You'll have a car within 2 years.
miscreanity
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 02:54:41 AM

No. I just don't want people announcing stuff which doesn't exist. Sure wikispeed has prototypes, but I bet they won't sell one before June of next year. I don't really care to know about it right now. I'm not a venture capitalist. Same thing with BFL, Bitcoincard, Ellet, etc. Maybe if any one of these people set an ETA which was anywhere near on time (does wikispeed even have an ETA?) then I'd be interested.

Really, I'm bashing the unrealistic ETA's. Some of these products won't ever exist, even though they were supposed to come out months ago. There's a saying that it's better to be 15 minutes early, so that even if you're 12 minutes late, you're still on time. Really, once I left middle school, I stopped being late.

I'm starting to think I can make money on this. Every announcement of a big product in this forum, I'll ask for an ETA. Then I'll make a bet that they won't hit it. We can do a negative interest thing: for every day before the eta that they ship, I'll give them 1% extra. For every day late, they give me 1% extra.

Nice backpedal. We don't want a lot of things to happen, but they still do. Don't make a mountain out of a molehill. For that, put your efforts toward human trafficking or child abuse.

I want to know about ideas and things being developed. I want to be able to gauge potential trends. I want to have an estimate on production, even if it isn't guaranteed or absolutely accurate. As do many businesses, which is part of the reason that a lot of them are even in business.

At least be genuine and start off with the proclamation that you want to speculate and make bets like a rote gambler. Otherwise, stop killing hope: live and let live. We can all do with less negativity.
nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 03:12:43 AM

I'll bet money against any optimist. That way I'm either proven right or pleasantly surprised.
smithy

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 10:36:56 AM

I think you'll find automobiles have been around for awhile and they all have a roof of some kind. This piece of crap is a step backwards if anything. Oh, but you're the visionary genius and only you can see the holy light that the infallible wikiturd casts. 
arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 02:14:54 PM

actually, generally speaking "roadster" style cars don't have a roof of any form.

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 04:08:40 PM

If I ever buy a brand new car it will be a WIKISPEED and I will obviously pay with BTC!
Ilikeham

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 07:49:13 PM

I don't care much for the car or it's components. Even the fact that they claim to not worry about making a profit is ... offputting. To me that means it's a hobby and hobbies change.

But seriously, the fact that someone is willing to sell a car and accept BTC means a lot more than the car itself. That is a real good you can use everyday to do something with. It's not a bag of roasted coffee or a video card, it's a essential part of life for many people.

That's the nice part.
nedbert9

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Inactive

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 08:00:20 PM

IF they can get it refined, add more body styles (ie roof) and ensure delivery they will have a market.

The killer app for this mod car would be easy body style changes + affordability.  What will hurt them is a crappy interior and instrumentation package.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: