Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:02:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: AR-15 lower (the important part with the serial number) from 3d printer  (Read 3940 times)
Slushpuppy (OP)

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 11:51:48 AM

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/579913_3D_printed_lower___yes__it_works_.html

So he said he has fired over 200 rounds so far with no problems. What does this mean for society? We will probably live to see an age where 3d printers can make anything out of poop and dirt, and then  a 3d printer that can make a 3d printer! Bottom line, fuck patents, ring in the printer's age.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vampire

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 11:56:26 AM

Someone reads reddit. 3d printers can print 3 printers already...

And means absolutely nothing for society.
ColdHardMetal

Activity: 700

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 11:56:52 AM

Wow. The implications of that are pretty far reaching.

myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2012, 05:13:51 PM

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/579913_3D_printed_lower___yes__it_works_.html

So he said he has fired over 200 rounds so far with no problems. What does this mean for society? We will probably live to see an age where 3d printers can make anything out of poop and dirt, and then  a 3d printer that can make a 3d printer! Bottom line, fuck patents, ring in the printer's age.

Nice. And if my understanding of the US gun laws are correct, since that makes you the "manufacturer" of the weapon (the lower receiver, with the serial number is, effectively the "gun", and everything else can be bought as replacement parts), you don't have to register it or anything?

And yes, Printers can already make ~60% of the parts needed to make another printer. Certainly all the structural parts, and they're working on the control circuits. Printing circuit boards is a complex process.

Here's a nifty little story By Cory Doctorow, "Printcrime" http://craphound.com/?p=573

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 07:23:58 PM

Sweet. There is a hackerspace here in Madison. I may have to take the printer class now.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2012, 12:30:54 AM

Nice. And if my understanding of the US gun laws are correct, since that makes you the "manufacturer" of the weapon (the lower receiver, with the serial number is, effectively the "gun", and everything else can be bought as replacement parts), you don't have to register it or anything?

And yes, Printers can already make ~60% of the parts needed to make another printer. Certainly all the structural parts, and they're working on the control circuits. Printing circuit boards is a complex process.

Here's a nifty little story By Cory Doctorow, "Printcrime" http://craphound.com/?p=573

Even if you made a zip gun out of some old steel pipe, according to the law you are still required to register it.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2012, 12:54:18 AM

Even if you made a zip gun out of some old steel pipe, according to the law you are still required to register it.

Ah well. I did say I might be wrong. Wink

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2012, 03:18:39 PM

You are supposed to register as a firearm manufacturer, there are different regulations for manufacture than ownership. All firearms require a serial number therefore defacto registration.
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 03:25:12 PM

You are supposed to register as a firearm manufacturer, there are different regulations for manufacture than ownership. All firearms require a serial number therefore defacto registration.
Having a serial number does not mean you have to "register" with anyone other than yourself.

You don't have to apply for a license to be a firearms manufacturer unless you start selling them.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2012, 07:09:52 PM

You don't have to apply for a license to be a firearms manufacturer unless you start selling them.

Everything I've read supports this.

(I know you're not a lawyer but: ) Does non-profit transfer, ie a gift, count?

jwzguy

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 07:22:44 PM

Probably doesn't legally, but if I was making my own lowers, I wouldn't risk them being in the wild. The ATF has gone to extreme lengths to put people who haven't broken the law in prison.

OTOH, you can get whoever you want to give it to to come over and press "print" and then they made it on your equipment. Much safer.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2012, 07:29:57 PM

Probably doesn't legally, but if I was making my own lowers, I wouldn't risk them being in the wild. The ATF has gone to extreme length to put people who haven't broken the law in prison.

OTOH, you can get whoever you want to give it to to come over and press "print" and then they made it on your equipment. Much safer.

That makes sense. Thanks.

westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 10:53:48 PM

Well, depending on the situation and person, maybe it's just easier (and possibly cheaper) in the long-term to gift them a 3D printer instead?

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2012, 11:34:52 PM

Well, depending on the situation and person, maybe it's just easier (and possibly cheaper) in the long-term to gift them a 3D printer instead?

Not a bad idea, there.

TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2012, 03:48:26 PM

Having a serial number does not mean you have to "register" with anyone other than yourself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_Control_Act_of_1968
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2012, 03:55:53 PM

The means to manufacture weapons (guns) has been available to most people at the cost of 1-2K USD in machining equipment and a little ingenuity.

For example, some interesting submachine gun plans here http://thehomegunsmith.com/

I've had an idea for a Six Shooter Shotgun made from pipes floating around my head for the last couple of days (making a single shot - shotgun requires some steel pipes, a bit of wod and a nail).

The most difficult part to machine is the rifling in the barrel (the lack of which makes the above sub-machine gun very innacurate).

All 3D printers do is bring this ability to someone who doesn't do metalwork.

Really I'm surprised that there are not traveling arms factories drifting around places like the US, UK and other countries, they'd make a fortune pumping out cheap, low quality guns and ammo.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
jwzguy

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 04:07:17 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_Control_Act_of_1968

From your own link:
"Firearms manufactured prior to the Gun Control Act and firearms manufactured by non-FFLs remain exempt from the serial number requirement."

FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 05:42:48 PM

When technology evolves to the point that everyone has the ability to give themselves the tech to build a device in their own garage that can blow the world up, it stands to reason that there will be at least one that will do so. Is that exciting, or is it definitely not so exciting?
Mike Jones

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 06:15:54 PM

When technology evolves to the point that everyone has the ability to give themselves the tech to build a device in their own garage that can blow the world up, it stands to reason that there will be at least one that will do so. Is that exciting, or is it definitely not so exciting?
M16s can destroy worlds?
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 07:15:47 PM

M16s can destroy worlds?

Totally missed the philosophical observation on the inevitable trajectory of technology and the slippery slope it creates, did you?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: