Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 11:40:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BTER.com hacked| 7170 BTC stolen | DON'T KEEP YOUR MONEY ON AN EXCHANGE |  (Read 119637 times)
tee-rex

Activity: 742
Merit: 526

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 07:44:11 PM

So, after this mess, where would you be moving your altcoins ?   (redsn0w, how about a poll ?  Grin)

Poloniex  looks good so does alts.trade but that pretty basic judgment based on appearances only. No idea how they'd fair when hacked

Poloniex had already got stripped of some 50k dollars in bitcoins through a lame hole in their withdrawal system in 2014. All users ended up having to pay for the robbery by "giving up" a part of their funds.

No. Busoni paid everyone back over a period of time. He is one of the exchange owners who treated customers well under very difficult circumstances.

You are entitled to think so indeed, but nevertheless, many would obviously disagree with you that forcibly taking a part of someone else's funds for covering one's own faults could go as "treating customers well". He didn't sell out his own assets to cover the losses, to begin with.

Everyone got their money back. Under the circumstances, I know which I'd prefer to lose money on.
It was a relatively small amount, of course. But BTER is being less than transparent and I simply don't see how they'll make good on this.

This is a crucial point. I would agree that this may look better (or promising) given the present circumstances (known past vs unknown future). But what if (and this is a big if really) bter allows the withdrawal of all funds (including bitcoins) without limitation and expropriation right tomorrow? Would you still think the same, i.e. poloniex being better than bter in this context?

Besides that, you are being inconsistent here. At first you say that "the exchange owners treated customers well under very difficult circumstances", and then you say that "it was a relatively small amount, of course".

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cassius
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2015, 09:04:48 PM

This is a crucial point. I would agree that this may look better (or promising) given the present circumstances (known past vs unknown future). But what if (and this is a big if really) bter allows the withdrawal of all funds (including bitcoins) without limitation and expropriation right tomorrow? Would you still think the same, i.e. poloniex being better than bter in this context?

Besides that, you are being inconsistent here. At first you say that "the exchange owners treated customers well under very difficult circumstances", and then you say that "it was a relatively small amount, of course".

I'm not really interested in playing word games, since it's what I do for a living and I'm not working right now.
In my opinion and given what I know, Polo did ok. Yes, it was a smaller amount, but they found a solution and everyone got their cash back. It was a difficult situation. There's no inconsistency there.
BTER? Well, knowing a little of what they're planning and what happened, I don't have a lot of respect for them and don't want anything more to do with them. I will use Polo.
tee-rex

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 09:09:20 PM

I'm not really interested in playing word games, since it's what I do for a living and I'm not working right now.
In my opinion and given what I know, Polo did ok. Yes, it was a smaller amount, but they found a solution and everyone got their cash back. It was a difficult situation. There's no inconsistency there.
BTER? Well, knowing a little of what they're planning and what happened, I don't have a lot of respect for them and don't want anything more to do with them. I will use Polo.

With all due respect and all that, but you still didn't answer my question. What would you prefer, i.e. your money taken (some part of) or your money returned (all of it), right now?
Cassius
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2015, 09:12:06 PM

With all due respect and all that, but you still didn't answer my question. What would you prefer, i.e. your money taken (some part of) or your money returned (all of it), right now?

No, I'll still never use them again. Various reasons, but transparency is one of them. They should have provided better updates. In this kind of situation, that will buy you a little respect and time.
Suppose they sell the exchange and get enough money to pay off their customers. That doesn't point to competence or integrity. They just got lucky that someone bought it.
I didn't lose anything on BTER, in any case.

Edit: that answers your first question, not the second. I assume the answer to that is obvious.
tee-rex

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 09:37:42 PM

No, I'll still never use them again. Various reasons, but transparency is one of them. They should have provided better updates. In this kind of situation, that will buy you a little respect and time.
Suppose they sell the exchange and get enough money to pay off their customers. That doesn't point to competence or integrity. They just got lucky that someone bought it.

Edit: that answers your first question, not the second. I assume the answer to that is obvious.

These are effectively one and the same question within the given context. If you don't see my point clearly, imagine that two exchanges got their clients' money stolen at the same time. One returns all the funds to the customers in full (by selling the exchange or whatever), the other averages out the losses by expropriating a part of the customers personal funds. What exchange would you choose to be at when the job is pulled off?
Cassius
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2015, 09:50:27 PM

These are effectively one and the same question within the given context. If you don't see my point clearly, imagine that two exchanges got their clients' money stolen at the same time. One returns all the funds to the customers in full (by selling the exchange or whatever), the other averages out the losses by expropriating a part of the customers personal funds. What exchange would you choose to be at when the job is pulled off?

Sure, but this is apples and apples. BTER is an orange or, more accurately, a lemon. If they come back from this, there's a good chance they'll get hacked again. Also, this is getting a little Schrodingery for me. I get to choose which exchange my money is at when it's hacked...?
I'll pass on this one. BTER's not for me.
tee-rex

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 10:07:51 PM

Sure, but this is apples and apples. BTER is an orange or, more accurately, a lemon. If they come back from this, there's a good chance they'll get hacked again. Also, this is getting a little Schrodingery for me. I get to choose which exchange my money is at when it's hacked...?

Not necessarily, this is just an "option", so to speak. You just have to choose what you prefer, namely your money returned to you in full or part of it expropriated, in the case of hackery, that's all. As you can guess, this basically is a rhetoric question.

And it doesn't matter if bter gets hacked again. Besides that, poloniex may get hacked too (since it had been "hacked" already), and you don't know which hack will happen sooner.
Kn_os
Legendary

Activity: 1055
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 10:52:20 PM

Not necessarily, this is just an "option", so to speak. You just have to choose what you prefer, namely your money returned to you in full or part of it expropriated, in the case of hackery, that's all. As you can guess, this basically is a rhetoric question.

And it doesn't matter if bter gets hacked again. Besides that, poloniex may get hacked too (since it had been "hacked" already), and you don't know which hack will happen sooner.

Bad question. If you want to say that we should choose exchange for trading keeping in mind who of them can return your money if they will get hacked, then answer will be "none of them" there are no alt coins exchange which can cover big lose of btc in way "return all money". So i would prefer to choose exchange with paranoid security mode, which i can be sure will not scam me itsell with just runing with my money. I can save from hack only one way -  spread depo, not keeping big amount on any exchange..

Actualy only Bitstamp on my memory could get 18k btc lose and "return all money" but they not trading alt coins... and anyway it could be 100k btc lose and they would not able to cover it too, it is not question of free will of exchange.. it just matter of amount of lose.

PS. For little just opened exchange which got hacked in mounth or so after they opened, Poloniex threat situation with hack very well, they promissed to returned btc and only asked for some time. It was best exit from situation. They didn't hold all user's balance for weeks at least:|

tee-rex

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 10:59:13 PM
Last edit: February 28, 2015, 11:22:43 PM by tee-rex

Bad question. If you want to say that we should choose exchange for trading keeping in mind who of them can return your money if they will get hacked, then answer will be "none of them" there are no alt coins exchange which can cover big lose of btc in way "return all money". So i would prefer to choose exchange with paranoid security mode, which i can be sure will not scam me itsell with just runing with my money. I can save from hack only one way -  spread depo, not keeping big amount on any exchange..

To begin with, you can't be certain about that in regard to any existing exchange out there, unless you are the exchange owner himself. Further on, you seem to have missed the whole point of our debate. It is not about choosing an exchange that could allegedly return the funds if they get stolen, in the first place. In fact, it is about choosing between the two evils, when the evils are known beforehand at that.

It all started with a statement that expropriating a part of clients' deposits had been a good decision (for clients).
justmyname

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 03:40:20 AM

So, after this mess, where would you be moving your altcoins ?   (redsn0w, how about a poll ?  Grin)

I wouldn't put any significant amount of coins on any exchange.  Cool

Especially on a low volume site that you won't be able to trade large amounts anyway.
Monnt
Legendary

Activity: 938

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 03:41:37 AM

So... What is the current situation?
Kn_os
Legendary

Activity: 1055

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 06:16:30 AM

Nothing changed ...
But at least alt coins still in cold wallets, means they are untorched at least..
Monnt
Legendary

Activity: 938

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 07:26:16 AM

Nothing changed ...
But at least alt coins still in cold wallets, means they are untorched at least..

Hope all the best for the people who were involved in this. Hope to hear some positive updates
havecoch

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 08:13:44 AM

Current situation is that they enabled withdrawls for altcoins and CNY . But still not for everything on the site.

tee-rex

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 08:51:43 AM

Current situation is that they enabled withdrawls for altcoins and CNY . But still not for everything on the site.

And I'd rather add far from everything! Just some shitty altcoins that I haven't even heard about until I saw them on the bter balances page.
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 08:57:33 AM

What is the "Fund password" you need to enter to withdraw?

And if I withdraw NeoDICE DICE or NXTInspect INSPCT, do I enter my NXT account id as withdrawal address?

Is there any way to see my trading history? Because I'm pretty sure I had a couple of BTC worth of UNITY there but it just says I have 0.000032 UNITY which doesn't make any sense.
tee-rex

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 09:00:48 AM

What is the "Fund password" you need to enter to withdraw?

And if I withdraw NeoDICE DICE or NXTInspect INSPCT, do I enter my NXT account id as withdrawal address?

Is there any way to see my trading history? Because I'm pretty sure I had a couple of BTC worth of UNITY there but it just says I have 0.000032 UNITY which doesn't make any sense.

Without this password you won't be able to withdraw your funds (it is used specifically for this purpose). It is different from your login password, but you can always set/change it if you can successfully login into your account.
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 09:08:00 AM

Thanks!
bri912678

Activity: 348
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 10:42:20 AM

And I'd rather add far from everything! Just some shitty altcoins that I haven't even heard about until I saw them on the bter balances page.

There is no word on their twitter yet about what they plan to do about the stolen bitcoins.
zazarb
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1548

Get loan in just five minutes goo.gl/8WMW6n

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2015, 11:11:18 AM

It remains to wait patiently,
and I saw that nxt removed from withdraw  list

███████████████▄▄
    ██████████████████████▄
  ██████████████████████████▄
 ███████   ▀████████▀   ████▄
██████████    █▀  ▀    ██████▄
███████████▄▄▀  ██  ▀▄▄████████
███████████          █████████
███████████▀▀▄  ██  ▄▀▀████████
██████████▀   ▀▄  ▄▀   ▀██████▀
 ███████  ▄██▄████▄█▄  █████▀
  ██████████████████████████▀
    ██████████████████████▀
       ███████████████▀▀
.Duelbits.
..THE MOST REWARDING CASINO......
   ▄▄▄▄████▀███▄▄▄▄▄
▄███▄▀▄██▄   ▄██▄▀▄███▄
████▄█▄███▄█▄███▄█▄████
███████████████████████   ▄██▄
██     ██     ██     ██   ▀██▀
██ ▀▀█ ██ ▀▀█ ██ ▀▀█ ██    ██
██  █  ██  █  ██  █  ██
█▌  ██
██     ██     ██     ████  ██
█████████████████████████  ██
████████████████████████████▀
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████▌
       +4,000      
PROVABLY FAIR
GAMES
   $500,000  
MONTHLY
PRIZE POOL
      $10,000     
BLACKJACK
GIVEAWAY
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 »
  Print  

Jump to: