Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:04:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The no ad-sigs posters allowed topic - come and not be annoyed by rubbish posts  (Read 4960 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 07:11:42 PM

InBit, you're completely missing the point of Kakmakr's comment. S/he was commenting on someone else's suggestion that forum users would need to keep a $100 balance of bitcoin in a wallet to be allowed to use this forum. Keeping that balance sitting idle in a BTC wallet could prevent poor people from participating in the forum, which would be an awful discrimination.

Excluding poor people from access to information by requiring wealth minimums goes against all the spirit of bitcoin.

Correct, the post wasn't clear but I think you are right so I deleted my posts. I apologize Kakmakr for reading too much into your comments.

Yeah, how do they say "follow the dollar"? Money is a great motivator for better and worse.

I am an anarcho-cap so have nothing against making profits.

Conscious comsumerism exists within capitalism and if the sig campaigns, moderators, and certain users cannot raise their standards themselves we will find market based solutions to meet our own needs.

This thread is one solution to this problem, another one would be leaving this forum to another one that has different standards or methods of enforcing spam, trolls, and shill accounts. Hopefully, it won't come down to that but some of us are so fed up that we are willing to do what is necessary to raise the discourse.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2015, 07:15:35 PM

In all truth this topic was an experiment to see how much better the quality of posting can be without the usual trolling and ad-sig posts.

Whilst not maybe perfect I do think it has ended up being a bit less *annoying* than most other topics have ended up becoming recently after several pages (as most have been polite to one another even if in disagreement which is the way I think it should be).

Of course I know that being a self-moderated topic the burden is on me to not overly "take control" and that is not an easy thing to do (so self-moderated topics are not necessarily the best mechanism) but a "free-for-all with ad-sigs" just ends up being something that no-one with any intellect has time for (which is partly why I tried this as I am now bored with most topics on this forum).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
onemorebtc

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 07:20:42 PM

In all truth this topic was an experiment to see how much better the quality of posting can be without the usual trolling and ad-sig posts.

Whilst not maybe perfect I do think it has ended up being a bit less *annoying* than most other topics have ended up becoming recently after several pages (as most have been polite to one another even if in disagreement which is the way I think it should be).

Of course I know that being a self-moderated topic the burden is on me to not overly "take control" and that is not an easy thing to do (so self-moderated topics are not necessarily the best mechanism) but a "free-for-all with ad-sigs" just ends up being something that no-one with any intellect has time for (which is partly why I tried this as I am now bored with most topics on this forum).

just out of curiosity: did you delete posts?

(i try to avoid self-moderatored topics and i never every ignore anybody: i think self-censorship is worse than gov-cencorship)

edit: i share your opinion about "poor people". but i would not call it pride: they just seem to understand that its easier to live together than against each other - most of my friends are poor (i am not rich either...but i have enough to live comfortably)

transfer 3 onemorebtc.k1024.de 1
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2015, 07:28:09 PM

just out of curiosity: did you delete posts?

Yes - many of the posts came from people that were "asked explicitly not to post" and that is part of the very problem I was bringing up.

People with any respect don't go into a church and graffiti do they?

But people in this forum will do that (they have no respect at all for anyone). Quite a few were very angry at me for even creating a single topic that didn't allow them to post in (so they think it is their *right* to post shit in every single topic in the forum).

As stated - I have actually met with *real poor people* (who don't even have internet) and they are not the nasty, childish sort of people you find here (so the posters here are not poor people at all - just people wanting to make money by any means they can by trying to *pretend* they are the poor).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

StevenS

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 07:35:57 PM

(there is no option to "hide all posts by ad-sig posters" which would be something I'd gladly use if it were available).
How could a forum algorithm determine if a signature is an ad-sig?
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2015, 07:37:03 PM

How could a forum algorithm determine if a signature is an ad-sig?

It wouldn't be that hard - as ad sigs tend to have a pretty "exact format" (I have read their posts).

But at the same time it wouldn't need to be algorithmically determined - it could be judged according to reports.

CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2015, 07:40:15 PM

Code:
Total time logged in: 200 days, 12 minutes.

Jesus - I have spent that much of my time on this forum?

onemorebtc

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 07:48:57 PM

As stated - I have actually met with *real poor people* (who don't even have internet) and they are not the nasty, childish sort of people you find here (so the posters here are not poor people at all - just people wanting to make money by any means they can by trying to *pretend* they are the poor).

i prefer the amount of warm food as an indicator for poorness - luckily i am a good cook Wink
i never saw people behaving like here in reallife (this includes myself btw - sometimes the horses are going through with me (german saying - not really translateable for my sucky english skills))

CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2015, 07:51:17 PM

I have seen people here that use "makeup and clothing" to pretend they are 60+ years old (when they are only maybe 30) in order to "beg".

You only find out if a security person spots them and chases them - suddenly you see a supposedly 60+ old woman (who was trembling in front of you looking very unsteady on her feet) run faster than a 30yo man! Cheesy

(seriously - I have seen that)

The real *country-side* Chinese would despise such people as honesty is actually a very important trait for them.

onemorebtc

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 07:55:14 PM

I have seen people here that use "makeup and clothing" to pretend they are 60+ years old (when they are only maybe 30) in order to "beg".

You only find out if a security person spots them and chases them - suddenly you see a supposedly 60+ old woman run faster than a 30yo man! Cheesy

(seriously - I have seen that)

china is way poorer than germany i guess.
its funny and sad at the same time... but: to change that anybody needs to do a little. but now we are really off topic Wink

i'll leave this to be on topic again:

CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2015, 08:00:07 PM

If only we did see decent posts from the ad-siggers then there would be no need for this topic at all.

It is a pity the ad-sig sponsors don't realise what they have done - now as soon as I see any post with a bright shiny "ad sig" I just ignore it without even reading it (as I know that at least 90% of the time it is going to be just a crap post).

So any chance of me ever paying attention to one single post has now gone (and in fact now I delete any ad-sig post in my self-moderated topics as a protest - if they actually have anything reasonable to say then they should create a new account and post it using that instead).

So to those ad-siggers who complain I won't let you post - you can - just create a new account without your ad-sig (oh yes I forgot that is the whole reason you post didn't I).

inBitweTrust

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 08:01:38 PM

http://slashdot.org is a tech forum with a decent solution of rating/classifying the quality of posts and earning "karma" for contributions of value and sorting through the garbage .

Reading a thread with a 3 and above rating usually is fairly enjoyable.

CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2015, 08:03:35 PM

And this might be end up being the reason why people end up moving from this forum to find a better place to post (I know I am getting tired of having to monitor my topics like a hawk and constantly just unwatch topics due to the drift towards pointless postings).

inBitweTrust

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 08:10:22 PM

And this might be end up being the reason why people end up moving from this forum to find a better place to post.

I'm still tempted to start creating threads that are all self moderated per topic from here on out, the thing that is keeping me from doing so is the time involved in watching those threads and the fact that it may scare users off from appearing that it was full of censorship because that is the reaction I have when I see a self moderated topic.

somewhat of a shame the new forum software isn't going to include any of the solutions slashdot has for decentrally moderating a topic --

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bHlm4NQkSzaBTT5tLIqQBmV92wSsbdOX5r-dRR9Dgg0/edit

Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 08:12:22 PM

i prefer the amount of warm food as an indicator for poorness - luckily i am a good cook Wink
Can you elaborate? Lots of warm food is poor or rich? I can't understand.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
buyandhold

Activity: 231
Merit: 43

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 08:17:20 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM8mKMtEg7M from 2:07
onemorebtc

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 08:19:17 PM

Can you elaborate? Lots of warm food is poor or rich? I can't understand.

the poor people i spoke of dont have enough money and suffer mentally illnesses so they are not able to cook or buy food to cook - its just something i do to help.

in germany anybody can have enough money to get internet, tv, an apartment and something to eat - but some people (which are considered mentally ill by society) are not able to get it or use it the right way

Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 08:27:47 PM

the poor people i spoke of dont have enough money and suffer mentally illnesses so they are not able to cook or buy food to cook - its just something i do to help.

in germany anybody can have enough money to get internet, tv, an apartment and something to eat - but some people (which are considered mentally ill by society) are not able to get it or use it the right way
OK, thanks for the clarification. I believe your observation must be specific to Germany or maybe broader to the Western Europe.

In some Asian communities (both in Asia itself and expatriates in other continents) there is an opposite correlation: poor people tend to spend inordinate amount of time and energy&fuel to elaborately cook their ethnic food, to the detriment of their children who are drafted to help. On the other hand reasonably well-off people tend to use quick-food or self-bagged cold lunches to be able to effectively participate in economy and education.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
juju

Activity: 381

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 08:28:08 PM

And this might be end up being the reason why people end up moving from this forum to find a better place to post (I know I am getting tired of having to monitor my topics like a hawk and constantly just unwatch topics due to the drift towards pointless postings).

I have to agree with your intent on creating this thread, when I first started reading this forum I just assumed people were trying to market new websites and technologies they were creating by having a website in their signature. After sometime on the forum you start to learn that the majority of the signatures linked to Ponzi/Gambling/pay per post and were not really users trying to "share" their technology.

For along while I had a Bitcoin news and price aggregation website I made one weekend in my signature. I decided to remove this link to my website after reading a similar thread you made on the Meta forum. Not because my website was a Ponzi or pay per post scheme, but because I wouldn't want anyone to think that's what was created as in the end. I actually noticed a few days ago I posted a thread about some new technology, a few people chimed in and essentially left no content/discussion. Perhaps they legitimately did-int understand the concept and wanted me to elaborate but their posts just seemed contrived.

I think theymos, and the other admins should strongly consider doing what was done with avatars. Save signatures as legacy for existing users and Add the option to remove signature. Remove the ability for anyone to add/edit signatures, and one day this issue will lessen/go away.

onemorebtc

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 08:48:59 PM

OK, thanks for the clarification. I believe your observation must be specific to Germany or maybe broader to the Western Europe.

In some Asian communities (both in Asia itself and expatriates in other continents) there is an opposite correlation: poor people tend to spend inordinate amount of time and energy&fuel to elaborately cook their ethnic food, to the detriment of their children who are drafted to help. On the other hand reasonably well-off people tend to use quick-food or self-bagged cold lunches to be able to effectively participate in economy and education.

maybe you'll find this interesting: http://www.vox.com/2014/7/6/5874499/map-heres-how-much-every-country-spends-on-food.
indeed: europe does not spend much of their income in food (i do btw... but i am crazy Cheesy)

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: