Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:55:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Bitcointalk don't use Google Adsense ?  (Read 3097 times)
Madness (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

My goal is becaming a billionaire.

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2015, 04:49:30 PM

Hi,

I was really wondering why the forums don't use Google Adsense , BuySellAds , or any other Advertising company that pays well , I know that there is Auctions that theymos do to make ads and get paid but I don't think they are enough or we can compare them with Adsense or any other company . I mean come on .. the forum is getting millions of page views each month , so I don't see why theymos wouldn't use those .

~ Madness

It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 04:52:44 PM

Hi,

I was really wondering why the forums don't use Google Adsense , BuySellAds , or any other Advertising company that pays well , I know that there is Auctions that theymos do to make ads and get paid but I don't think they are enough or we can compare them with Adsense or any other company . I mean come on .. the forum is getting millions of page views each month , so I don't see why theymos wouldn't use those .

~ Madness

I think because 1) the google ads banners will ruin bitcointalk "design" (does not integrate "well") - - 2) because they are using Js, and theymos doesn't allow js banner here in the forum.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2015, 05:00:16 PM

3) Upfront payment. When using Google, we can't know how much we can earn. At the current price, forum is getting ~$1,924.02087/~10 days.

4) Exploits are possible. Proof : #1 #2

Quote from: #2
Attack Overview:

Traffic Capture:

I used Sulo to decrypt the malicious redirection that is hiding deep inside the Flash advert:

-MZ

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2015, 05:03:56 PM

4) not paying in bitcoin

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Madness (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2015, 05:06:43 PM

3) Upfront payment. When using Google, we can't know how much we can earn. At the current price, forum is getting ~$1,924.02087/~10 days.

-MZ

How you can know how much we are getting ?
Anyway , what do you mean we can't know how much we can earn , I was watching Statistics and we are getting about 5-10 million views monthly . that would generate easily 50k $ a month . I know that some people do use Adblock .

~ Madness

4) not paying in bitcoin

As I said , there is Alternatives that pays with Bitcoin , I was just giving an example about Google adsense which is the most known around here . Even if they was no companies that pays with Bitcoin , they would simply use Banks , Paypal , Western Union then buy Bitcoin.

~ Madness

EFS
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 2068

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 05:07:03 PM

Why Google Adsense don't use Bitcoin?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2015, 05:09:43 PM

Anyway , what do you mean we can't know how much we can earn , I was watching Statistics and we are getting about 5-10 million views monthly . that would generate easily 50k $ a month . I know that some people do use Adblock .

Check auctions and you are right!

4) not paying in bitcoin

As I said , there is Alternatives that pays with Bitcoin , I was just giving an example about Google adsense which is the most known around here . Even if they was no companies that pays with Bitcoin , they would simply use Banks , Paypal , Western Union then buy Bitcoin.

~ Madness

Big tax problems might be there.

Anonymity maybe.

By the way, Post updated.

-MZ

Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 05:18:14 PM

-MZ

It is public. For the most recent auction the cheapest slot sold for 4.3 BTC (out of 8 slots total) that will run for 25% of a month (if you count the extra time they are usually up for).

4.3 BTC times 8 = 34.4 BTC per quarter month, times 4 quarters is 137.6 BTC per month in estimated advertising  revenue. That works out to roughly $32k per month.

Additionally a lot of the impressions are of very low quality (from things like spam bots) - it is not faucet quality, but is still bad - and this may be a reason for adsense to withhold payment (even though a very high amount of the impressions are legit).

Also the forum would probably have difficulty serving that many relevant ads via Adsense so it would need to serve ads that are not relevant to bitcoin which will ultimately result in lower pricing per impression/click. With the way the forum sells ads now, it is pretty much a guarantee that all the served ads will be relevant
Madness (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2015, 07:02:54 PM

It's not a reason , at least I don't see it as a good reason to not use Google adsense . Besides as I said there is Alternatives those days and ads network that pays with Bitcoin .

~ Madness

theymos_away

Activity: 82
Merit: 26

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 08:29:35 PM

In addition to the reasons already mentioned, I've set things up so native forum ads can't be blocked (if the ad is designed correctly). This provides additional value to advertisers which isn't possible with any sort of JS- or image-based ad system.
Cøbra
Bitcoin.org domain administrator

Activity: 123
Merit: 469

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2015, 09:43:33 PM

The auction system works well and brings in the same amount of income that Adsense would; just without the risk of being dependent on one company.
Karpeles
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 05:41:53 AM

I see two reasons:

1)No control about what is being adverted(can't refuse advertisements)

2)THe terms of service
BlackMachine

Activity: 208
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 05:57:33 AM

If theymos use adsense he will earn maximum 10k per month. And his adsense account will be hold and will be subject for manual review. Plus adsense pays net 30.

dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2015, 06:36:39 AM
Last edit: February 17, 2015, 07:04:33 AM by dogie

Being an ex Googler, this is something I'd asked Theymos before. This was his PM response, which I don't believe is privileged information or includes intentions he hasn't stated elsewhere:

I don't want to insert foreign JavaScript into the forum. That seems potentially dangerous. Also, using external ad services gives them some influence over forum policy because they can drop us. (AdSense would probably be especially likely to complain to the forum about various things posted here, I expect.)

Income could be significantly increased in many ways. For example, more ads could be added, or cheaper premium memberships (like VIP) could be sold. But the main goal of the forum is to be a good forum, not to make boatloads of money, and I don't see the need to strive for increased revenue at this time.

Madness (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2015, 06:43:30 AM

Being an ex Googler, this is something I'd asked Theymos before. This was his PM response, which I don't believe is privileged information or intentions he hasn't stated elsewhere:

I don't want to insert foreign JavaScript into the forum. That seems potentially dangerous. Also, using external ad services gives them some influence over forum policy because they can drop us. (AdSense would probably be especially likely to complain to the forum about various things posted here, I expect.)

Income could be significantly increased in many ways. For example, more ads could be added, or cheaper premium memberships (like VIP) could be sold. But the main goal of the forum is to be a good forum, not to make boatloads of money, and I don't see the need to strive for increased revenue at this time.

Oh Alright I see . I didn't knew that Ads could be used for Exploits and gets the forum hacked or something .
Also glad to know that it's not all about the "money" Grin thanks mate

~ Madness

dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2015, 07:06:06 AM

Being an ex Googler, this is something I'd asked Theymos before. This was his PM response, which I don't believe is privileged information or intentions he hasn't stated elsewhere:

Oh Alright I see . I didn't knew that Ads could be used for Exploits and gets the forum hacked or something .
Also glad to know that it's not all about the "money" Grin thanks mate

~ Madness

Anything served with adsense is extremely unlikely to be exploitable, but its his general policy to not have any foreign js as that's how bad things start.

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 07:23:01 AM

If theymos use adsense he will earn maximum 10k per month. And his adsense account will be hold and will be subject for manual review. Plus adsense pays net 30.

Can you tell me how much Bitcoin will be worth next year too?
ColderThanIce

Activity: 373
Merit: 252

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 06:24:09 PM

personally i like the site how it is now. on other sites i've gone to sometimes ads open popups to malicious sites. but i really hate when i'm on mobile, and then ads redirect me to the app store, even when i don't click on anything. plus the ads on this forum seem more relevant to the topic (bitcoin) and i'm thinking that there are fewer scam ads here, compared to google adsense.

ROLLIN.IO  BITCOIN   DICE   GAME
   ⚁    ⚂    ⚃    ⚄   ⚅   ⚁   ⚂
                                        ███████████████████    
                                      ██                                    ██
      ██████████████████                                    ██
      ██                            ██                                    ██
      ██                            ██                                    ██  
      ██                            ██                                    ██
      ██                            ██████████            ██████
      ██                            ██              ██          ██
      ██                            ██                 ██       ██
      ██                            ██                    ██    ██
      ███████        ███████                        ████
                ██     ██
                ██  ██
                ████

███████████
S  O  C  I  A  L
C H A T T I N G
                    ██
                  ████
                ██████
              ████████
            ██████████
          ████████████
        ██████████████
      ████████████████
    ██████████████████
  ████████████████████ 
              ████████
              ████████

████████

████████
██████████████
LEVEL UP SYSTEM
   WITH REWADS
                ██████
              ████████
            ██████████
          ████████████
        ██████████████
    ██████████████████
  ████████████████████
█         ████████████████
   ██████████████████ 
     ████████████████
        █████████████
           ██████████
                █████
██████████████
 FREE BITCOINS
Baitty

Activity: 532

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 06:35:56 PM

personally i like the site how it is now. on other sites i've gone to sometimes ads open popups to malicious sites. but i really hate when i'm on mobile, and then ads redirect me to the app store, even when i don't click on anything. plus the ads on this forum seem more relevant to the topic (bitcoin) and i'm thinking that there are fewer scam ads here, compared to google adsense.
there could still be malicious sites advertised here I think as theymos doesnt check every single one only if they raise a few red flags but he wont advertise them if he knows they are scams unlike adsense.

Currently held as collateral by monbux
Madness (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2015, 06:38:32 PM

there could still be malicious sites advertised here I think as theymos doesnt check every single one only if they raise a few red flags but he wont advertise them if he knows they are scams unlike adsense.

He don't need to check since he wrote that little note under the Advertisement saying that Bitcointalk is not responsable for them :
"Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here."

~ Madness

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: