Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 11:46:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ETA for the ETF? (and Gemini Exchange speculation)  (Read 21095 times)
monsanto (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1241
Merit: 1005

..like bright metal on a sullen ground.

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 12:40:40 PM
Last edit: June 24, 2017, 02:31:21 PM by monsanto

When do you predict the Winklevoss' ETF will be available?

What effect will this have on price? Do you think it will be priced in by then?

I assume this will happen before their Gemini exchange is open.

update: Obviously the Gemini exchange did open.  Still waiting on the ETF.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2015, 12:58:16 PM

I predict January 2016.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Paashaas
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 4441

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 01:13:11 PM

When do you predict the Winklevoss' ETF will be available?

What effect will this have on price? Do you think it will be priced in by then?

I assume this will happen before their Gemini exchange is open.

The ETF will only be approved with a top-nutch exchange, pretty cool from the twins that they funded it from there own money.

Gemini will go online q1, give it 6 months to 1 year before the ETF will be launched.

Pretty sure the price will go up.
EatonABooger

Activity: 151
Merit: 36

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 01:28:28 PM

Just a thought...

I do not think they would be going forward with Gemini and having so many "dog-pile" into it, if they did not have a very good indication by the insiders and that famous lawyer lady of success.

In other words, I think they are almost certain that the ETF will be approved.

I do not have any clue about timing (so I am not answering your question), but I just want to add that I am optimistic when the prices of BTC stay relatively low with this ETF looming.   I really hope the ETF is available when the BTC price is depressed - I will be dumping in some retirement $$ that is limited to only those Funds that are SEC secured and available on the Wall Street Exchanges.  The lower the BTC price, the more coins (or ETF equivalent pieces of paper) I will own.

Warning - as you asked " will it be priced in by then?" -   I is very possible that the price will shoot up on the rumor and prior to ETF opening, then everyone will sell on the event.  Seems to be the way we roll in BTC land.  

I'm still licking wounds from a couple weeks ago when the price looked to be going exponential (at the moment I viewed it).  I purchased at market price in a full panic....  I could not have bought it at a higher price - it really sucked.

“Look at those poor saps back on land with their laws and ethics! They’ll never know the simple joys of a monkey knife fight.”
H.J.Simpson
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2015, 01:38:36 PM

Just a thought...

I do not think they would be going forward with Gemini and having so many "dog-pile" into it, if they did not have a very good indication by the insiders and that famous lawyer lady of success.

In other words, I think they are almost certain that the ETF will be approved.

I do not have any clue about timing (so I am not answering your question), but I just want to add that I am optimistic when the prices of BTC stay relatively low with this ETF looming.   I really hope the ETF is available when the BTC price is depressed - I will be dumping in some retirement $$ that is limited to only those Funds that are SEC secured and available on the Wall Street Exchanges.  The lower the BTC price, the more coins (or ETF equivalent pieces of paper) I will own.

Warning - as you asked " will it be priced in by then?" -   I is very possible that the price will shoot up on the rumor and prior to ETF opening, then everyone will sell on the event.  Seems to be the way we roll in BTC land.  

I'm still licking wounds from a couple weeks ago when the price looked to be going exponential (at the moment I viewed it).  I purchased at market price in a full panic....  I could not have bought it at a higher price - it really sucked.

I think this is key. Most people think "Wall Street people will be getting into Bitcoin". But the big deal is all of us sitting here with our 401k filled with dollar denominated stocks when we do not have much confidence in the dollar. It is one thing to say you may some day start saving 5% of your savings towards Bitcoin. It is another to take 5% of your $100k+ 401k and move it to the Bitcoin ETF.

My 401k already consists mainly of foreign investment funds, that is how much confidence I have in our debt laden dollar. A Bitcoin ETF will be an even better place for some of my retirement.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
var53

Activity: 345
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 02:18:56 PM

Will the ETF only be for US resident big holders? How about Gemini, will that allow traders from outside the US? I wonder if it will do a Coinbase and only allow US traders to begin with.
bitards

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 03:01:09 PM

Maybe it will be a short-btc etf  Tongue
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 06:17:20 PM

It's a great thing to have something this big looming on the horizon. This is a signal to keep setting aside money every paycheck to keep building your stake in Bitcoin. Great times ahead.
Paashaas
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 4441

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 06:24:24 PM

It's a great thing to have something this big looming on the horizon. This is a signal to keep setting aside money every paycheck to keep building your stake in Bitcoin. Great times ahead.

Got some more Gemini/ETF food for you!

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/19319/look-nasdaq-comes-winklevoss-gemini-exchange/
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 06:49:43 PM

There is no ETA but it sounds like it could be getting close, drafts and revisions have been made, soon it is decision time...
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2015, 06:50:58 PM

~2017
bassclef

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 07:14:55 PM

I think Gemini is probably something the SEC would very much like to see, as in, they were told they needed a licensed, bonded exchange with expertly-implemented security best practices before approval would be imminent.

I do wonder why people get nervous at the idea of "Wall Street" getting into Bitcoin. Wall Street is a collection of investors, investment related businesses, hedge funds, trading desks, etc. They generally will not be concerned with manipulating the market, rather they will want customers to invest in their crypto portfolios and services. It's a win for Bitcoin. The trading will be left to large pocketed individuals and groups, and probably many of the whales you see today will still be active. The best traders now will be the professional market makers of the future.
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 07:19:55 PM

I think the Winklevoss' ETF will be available ~February of 2016, or at least I hope. I don't think the price will go [up] in theory the price should go up after the next block reward halving.
Mellnik

Activity: 242

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 08:04:10 PM

Didn't someone said Q1 2015?
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2015, 10:25:04 PM

That would have been the case had they not needed to update their submission last summer and then again in January.

SnokkomBTC

Activity: 559
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 10:42:32 PM

Last interview they said Q1 indeed

Sometimes, if it looks too bearish, it's actually bullish
lolled

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 11:01:55 PM

I thought it would have been out early February. looks not.

Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 11:09:25 PM

take whatever date they give, and add at least 2 years.

So I guess maybe by 2017 or after
readysalted89

Activity: 327

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 11:13:25 PM

That would have been the case had they not needed to update their submission last summer and then again in January.

Does the clock get reset back to zero each time they update their submission? I remember they made some big change a month or two ago. Did they change its proposed location out of New York?
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1180

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2015, 11:23:10 PM

Interview that was posted yesterday indicated they are going for a Q1 launch for Gemini. No ETA on the ETF was mentioned IIRC.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: