Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 03:24:30 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ETA for the ETF? (and Gemini Exchange speculation)  (Read 21093 times)
Alley
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 02:47:12 AM

I wonder how much institutional money is ready to enter the bitcoin economy with Gemini?
Patel
Legendary

Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2015, 03:11:13 AM

I wonder how much institutional money is ready to enter the bitcoin economy with Gemini?

The same that entered itbit.

nada, zip, zilch, zero
Alley
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 03:23:35 AM

nada, zip, zilch, zero

Why are  institutional investors requesting early access then?
Patel
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2015, 03:30:14 AM

nada, zip, zilch, zero

Gemini is the one requesting to get "institutional investors" to trade on their platform so they can make more revenue off of volume. Like every other exchange.
pleaseexplainagain

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 03:35:11 AM

nada, zip, zilch, zero

not sure they are getting "early' access to the actual marketplace - the winklevii post indicates more to being just early form filling so they can trade at the same time as the small guys. maybe I am wrong.

I think there will be interest in Gemini over itbit. Its all about name recognition and FOMO as much as fundementals.
Alley
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 03:40:07 AM

A institutional investor had to sign up on there site first.  Then they just received that email from them to get the process started.  So institutional investors have started the process and will be trading.  To say it will be "zero" makes you seem like a troll.
eerygarden

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 11:59:42 AM

Any idea if brits using GBP will be able to use Gemini with competitive exchange rates? Or will access for grits remain poor? Obviously Gemini will use USD.
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2015, 12:22:51 PM

I think there will be interest in Gemini over itbit. Its all about name recognition and FOMO as much as fundementals.

I agree. Gemini has hardcore bitcoin supporters, the Winklevosses, behind it and have ties to the ETF. They seems more geared towards institutional investors than itBit. The name matters too, Gemini sounds much better than itBit.

itBit has insurance covering clients' funds, does Gemini offer the same protection?
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 12:24:23 PM

Any idea if brits using GBP will be able to use Gemini with competitive exchange rates? Or will access for grits remain poor? Obviously Gemini will use USD.

I doubt they've made any extra provision for Brits. Everything is US based.

I don't think it'll be a very practical option. Their banking system is third world. Transferring money all the way there is painful.
pleaseexplainagain

Activity: 115

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 12:37:45 PM

I agree. Gemini has hardcore bitcoin supporters, the Winklevosses, behind it and have ties to the ETF. They seems more geared towards institutional investors than itBit. The name matters too, Gemini sounds much better than itBit.

itBit has insurance covering clients' funds, does Gemini offer the same protection?

yes if they have kept to the original idea
 https://blog.gemini.com/welcome-to-gemini/
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1180

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2015, 12:43:19 PM

You can't really compare itBit and Gemini, they are two different beasts.
ItBit is a foreign corporation from Singapore with very little backing and even less hype.
Gemini is a domestic NY Corp with lots of backing from the bitcoin community and a ton of hype.

ItBit did their thing, they were a company nobody ever heard of and they slid in out of nowhere to become the first licensed BTC exchange in NY, too bad nobody uses them.

brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 01:30:39 PM

You can't really compare itBit and Gemini, they are two different beasts.
ItBit is a foreign corporation from Singapore with very little backing and even less hype.
Gemini is a domestic NY Corp with lots of backing from the bitcoin community and a ton of hype.

ItBit did their thing, they were a company nobody ever heard of and they slid in out of nowhere to become the first licensed BTC exchange in NY, too bad nobody uses them.

I'm afraid you are slightly misguided.

itBit was one of the first company in the sector to receive venture investement back in 2013. At that point they were indeed based in Singapore but the backers were far from insignificant (RRE, Canaan)

Since then they have headquartered in New York and successfully obtained a banking trust charter with sponsor from, amongst others, former FDIC chairman Sheila Bair. All while raising an additional 25$m series A from new & existing investors. That makes them legal in all states, not only NY.

They are, by all account, a very significant player in the industry with some of the most important names in finance backing them. Trading hasn't picked up much on their exchange but I expect they will eventually become a major force seeing they have an extremely competent and experienced team behind them.

You don't "slide in" into a NY bank charter trust license. This indicates serious commitment and connections within the existing financial world.  

So far the only thing Gemini has against them is exactly what you've said : hype but not much to show for it.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
PolarPoint

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 12:11:03 AM

The exchange sideshow is on schedule, when can we expect the main attraction to come? ETF is what everyone is longing for! Yet we still have no updates for more than 6 months. It's mid August now, I think it won't be traded in 2015, have to wait until Q2 2016 the earliest, round about time of the next halving. I hope the synergy of these 2 events could take bitcoin to new highs.
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 12:33:25 AM

The exchange sideshow is on schedule, when can we expect the main attraction to come? ETF is what everyone is longing for! Yet we still have no updates for more than 6 months. It's mid August now, I think it won't be traded in 2015, have to wait until Q2 2016 the earliest, round about time of the next halving. I hope the synergy of these 2 events could take bitcoin to new highs.

I also expect this is what is going to happen.

I do think we are going to see a corrected submission of the S-1A that should include a very much needed update on the ecosystem especially in regards to the exchanges cited. Gemini, Coinbase, itBit, Bitstamp should replace Mt.Gox, btc-e, and the other suspects.

Unfortunately this might indeed delay things until 2016 but the potential for the halving and a subsequent launch of the ETF to coincide is very interesting.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
gotmilk_

Activity: 442

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 12:29:17 PM

http://bravenewcoin.com/news/institutional-bitcoin-exchange-gemini-prepares-for-launch/
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 01:19:27 PM

I wonder where them becoming a trust leaves the possibility of margin trading. I'm pretty sure Itbit said they couldn't provide leverage because of the terms of their creation.
Greendragon

Activity: 70

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 01:50:46 PM

so its approved ?
Patel
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2015, 03:30:09 PM

No, they filed so they can continue operating.

It took itBit 3 months from file to approval.
gotmilk_

Activity: 442

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 04:50:20 PM

https://twitter.com/GeminiDotCom/status/633307506765352960

They should stop with that bullshit and finally open it.  Roll Eyes
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1180

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2015, 02:33:42 AM

Can I guess that Gemini will open tomorrow on Wednesday the 19th?  What a perfect time to launch, price is low so there's only one way to go, up!  Grin

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: