Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 10:41:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ETA for the ETF? (and Gemini Exchange speculation)  (Read 21087 times)
wakka622

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

The big fish

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 03:31:06 PM

What would be a realistic release date in your opinion? Personally I'd be surprised with 2015.

I think it could be done within a few days after Gemini is becoming a trust company - they had more than 2 years to prepare the ETF. Not sure if that's in 2015, but it could be.

There is no way the SEC is gonna let it pass using the last S-1A

There is a 90% chance they will submit another S-1A and remove exchanges like btc-e, mtgox, etc. They will replace all the foreign bitcoin companies and resources with things like Gemini, Coinbase Exchange, itBit and other regulated infastructure.

Then the SEC will review it again.

That sounds like the smart option but are you sure they must do this because if so then it could be another year before we see the etf launched.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Patel
Legendary

Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2015, 04:14:11 PM
Last edit: September 25, 2015, 04:24:29 PM by Patel

What would be a realistic release date in your opinion? Personally I'd be surprised with 2015.

I think it could be done within a few days after Gemini is becoming a trust company - they had more than 2 years to prepare the ETF. Not sure if that's in 2015, but it could be.

There is a 90% chance they will submit another S-1A and remove exchanges like btc-e, mtgox, etc. They will replace all the foreign bitcoin companies and resources with things like Gemini, Coinbase Exchange, itBit and other regulated infastructure.

That sounds like the smart option but are you sure they must do this because if so then it could be another year before we see the etf launched.

yes I am very sure. The old S-1A has nothing in it about Gemini. They have to file a new S-1A. The reason their last S-1A was so long ago is because they are waiting to get all their ducks lined up, then submit one final S-1A with everything in it.

If I had to take a guess, it's 6-12 months away after/if their Gemini charter gets approved

note: I am not a legal expert, not giving legal advice, and I am not dealing with this ETF in any way. I am just giving my opinions.
wakka622

Activity: 476

The big fish

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 06:40:22 PM

yes I am very sure. The old S-1A has nothing in it about Gemini. They have to file a new S-1A. The reason their last S-1A was so long ago is because they are waiting to get all their ducks lined up, then submit one final S-1A with everything in it.

If I had to take a guess, it's 6-12 months away after/if their Gemini charter gets approved

note: I am not a legal expert, not giving legal advice, and I am not dealing with this ETF in any way. I am just giving my opinions.

But where are you getting this information from?
Patel
Legendary

Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2015, 06:54:17 PM

But where are you getting this information from?

Common sense, and a bit of legal knowledge
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 11:20:11 PM

This sounds sensible. I too agree that their old S-1A has no chance to get approved as it is. Hopefully the SEC is actively collaborating with them so that when the revised form is submitted the review process is shortened.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2015, 02:26:35 AM

They could be on their way.
From their Gemini instagram (https://instagram.com/p/7fu0naBNst/) posted on Sept 11th.

geminidotcomThanks for having us, #AIBA. We enjoyed our time discussing the future of #bitcoin compliance yesterday with fellow panelist Dana Syracuse of @K2Intelligence at one of NYC's oldest and most renowned establishments.

The AIBA is the Association of International Bank Auditors.

I work at a private lending institution in the US and when we teamed up with Wells Fargo and Bank of Internet the auditors came in after an agreement was reached, but before it was effective.

Fakhoury
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1027

Permabull Bitcoin Investor

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 08:01:59 PM

Quote from:  Satoshi Nakamoto
Feb. 14, 2010: I’m sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume.
jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 08:44:24 PM

I followed the link to Department of Financial Services:
http://www.dfs.ny.gov/reportpub/wb150925.htm

September 23, 2015 (TR-CRB)
GEMINI TRUST COMPANY, LLC
30 West 24th Street, 4th Floor, New York, New York 10010
Articles of Organization approved and filed.

Application for exemption from the deposit insurance requirements of Section 32 of the Banking Law approved.

itBit received their Certificate of Authorisation in May and open for business around July? So Gemini should go live in about 3 months in January, the earliest.
BldSwtTrs
Legendary

Activity: 861
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 08:47:36 PM

Application for exemption from the deposit insurance requirements of Section 32 of the Banking Law approved.

itBit received their Certificate of Authorisation in May and open for business around July? So Gemini should go live in about 3 months in January, the earliest.
Why the Winklevoss are so slow at everyhting they do?
Denker
Legendary

Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 09:15:50 PM

Why the Winklevoss are so slow at everyhting they do?

Being born as twins could mean they also need for everything they do the doubled amount of time.They never will be numero uno.They seem to be designated for being second at most. That's act of nature.You can not blame them. Cheesy
Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 09:41:44 PM

It took 12 days until itBit got their certificate, so Gemini can get their certificate next week. I guess they will start trading pretty soon. Why should they wait?

April 24, 2015 (TR-CRB)
itBit TRUST COMPANY, LLC
140 East 45th Street, 16th Floor, New York, New York 10017

April 24, 2015 (TR-CRB)
itBit TRUST COMPANY, LLC

Application for exemption from the deposit insurance requirements of Section 32 of the Banking Law approved

http://www.dfs.ny.gov/reportpub/wb150424.htm

May 6, 2015 (TR-CRB)
ITBIT TRUST COMPANY, LLC

Authorization Certificate issued.

http://www.dfs.ny.gov/reportpub/wb150508.htm
jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 10:10:47 PM

It took 12 days until itBit got their certificate, so Gemini can get their certificate next week. I guess they will start trading pretty soon. Why should they wait?

They shouldn't wait. I would like to see Gemini online trading and their ETF approved by SEC as soon as possible. Things are moving quite slow for them, I don't know how "ready" they are now.
coinableS
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2015, 01:23:19 AM

Articles of Org are filed when a corporation begins. The corporation Gemini began well before today. This is likely just an updated filing or a new filing for a state that they were previously not registered. Not big news in my opinion.

Nami

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 01:52:04 AM

When do you predict the Winklevoss' ETF will be available?

What effect will this have on price? Do you think it will be priced in by then?

I assume this will happen before their Gemini exchange is open.

Yeah Gemini exchange are very manipulative and its always making sure that dollars will never leave this country,
I think it will surely affect the coin's price.
gotmilk_

Activity: 442

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 10:00:39 PM

http://www.coindesk.com/gemini-exchange-moves-toward-launch-nydfs-approvals/?utm_content=buffer947c1&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Further, he said that restrictions on fiat lending were unlikely to apply to its bitcoin activities, suggesting that this leaves the company open to adding other financial instruments like derivatives, swaps and futures pending dialogue with the CFTC.

This!
jertsy

Activity: 341

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 11:52:37 PM

http://www.coindesk.com/gemini-exchange-moves-toward-launch-nydfs-approvals/?utm_content=buffer947c1&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Further, he said that restrictions on fiat lending were unlikely to apply to its bitcoin activities, suggesting that this leaves the company open to adding other financial instruments like derivatives, swaps and futures pending dialogue with the CFTC.

This!

That Coindesk story says Gemini will need to pass subsequent approvals before it can serve US customers. Exactly what extra approvals will it have to pass, and how long will they be expected to take? Until they can serve US customers they won't start serving foreign customers. I thought Gemini would have been open months ago, and it's so long since the last time I heard anything about it that I'd given up looking for stories about it.

A spokesperson for the NYDFS indicated that Gemini would need to pass subsequent approvals before being able to serve US customers, adding:

"There are still additional steps for final approval of a charter."
monsanto (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1241
Merit: 1005

..like bright metal on a sullen ground.

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 08:39:28 AM

Latest instagram post:

Is there a day of the week on which something like an exchange opening would be most likely to be announced? If I recall correctly, Coinbase was launched on a Monday.  Not sure when it was announced though.
gotmilk_

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 09:50:16 PM

So now is clear that Gemini will offer derivatives. Cool!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3n9pfp/why_gemini_bitcoin_exchange_has_institutional/

Last part of the article is in comment.

Also Cool

They also are awaiting U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission approval of the Winklevoss Bitcoin Trust, a Bitcoin exchange-traded fund (ETF) that will trade under the ticker Nasdaq: COIN. Approval of the Winklevoss Bitcoin ETF is expected before the end of the year.

coinableS
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2015, 12:51:02 AM

So now is clear that Gemini will offer derivatives. Cool!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3n9pfp/why_gemini_bitcoin_exchange_has_institutional/

Last part of the article is in comment.

Also Cool

They also are awaiting U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission approval of the Winklevoss Bitcoin Trust, a Bitcoin exchange-traded fund (ETF) that will trade under the ticker Nasdaq: COIN. Approval of the Winklevoss Bitcoin ETF is expected before the end of the year.

That's all very bullish news  Grin
Perhaps the patience will pay off. If there is a US regulated and accepted exchange that offers not just buy/sell but also derivative trading, and then to top is off the ETF to trade on NASDAQ before the end of the year.  Gather up your coins now while you still can my friends, once the FOMO sets in the price could skyrocket.

gotmilk_

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 01:53:09 PM

Here we go!  Smiley

http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-exchange-gemini-new-york/
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: