Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:54:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining server room (cooling development help)  (Read 22790 times)
warweed (OP)

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 07:00:42 AM

With this Your right I could fairly easily adjust the clock speed to suit the cooling needs the usual temp in Edmonton hovers around 25 in the summer an hits maybe 32 ish for 2 weeks the bonus is both sides of the room face north or south so no direct sunlight Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
warweed (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 07:02:59 AM

I forgot to ask thou I know Linux a bit but to be honest I'm pretty much a n00b I can make my way around terminal and such not much for GUIs ect but is there any good software from overclocking past what overdrive will let you ? In the linuxcoin distro ?

Assuming I can figure out why I'm getting rpc errors ?
namley

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 07:09:28 AM

I know this is a bit off topic, but back to the beginning of the thread.

I am planning something similar, but on a much smaller scale

You think it would by more cost efficient to isolate the racks in a semi-sealed environment and use portable air conditioners?

By that I mean, Isolate an entire shelf with isolating plastic, available at most hardware stores. Use velcro strips to make a door, and buy portable air conditioning units from walmart.

Make an outlet to vent and keep your AirFlow CFM up.

I'm not an engineer by anymeans, if you haven't noticed  yet.

Basiley

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 07:24:18 AM

use tubes attached to ordinary desktop/midtower cases fans to exhaust heat rather than messing/mixing it in room fighting with aerodynamic.
PVC-made isn't strong enough termally, but rest can do the trick.

in case if you prefer cool room enteriely, as usual for 19'' racks-based data-centers, keep in mind thats not so energy-efficient[even meaning air loses in tubes]
noobboon

Activity: 25

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 11:14:16 AM

burn!!!!!!!!!

don't forget to call 911 Smiley
w128

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 12:18:07 PM

I know this is a bit off topic, but back to the beginning of the thread.

I am planning something similar, but on a much smaller scale

You think it would by more cost efficient to isolate the racks in a semi-sealed environment and use portable air conditioners?

By that I mean, Isolate an entire shelf with isolating plastic, available at most hardware stores. Use velcro strips to make a door, and buy portable air conditioning units from walmart.

Make an outlet to vent and keep your AirFlow CFM up.

I'm not an engineer by anymeans, if you haven't noticed  yet.

Yes.

This is what I was talking about with partitioning early on.
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 02:17:13 PM

He needs to move this operation to the Northwest Territories (Just above Alberta where he is) or as close as possible to the north pole as possible Tongue. When it's -30 outside I don't think cooling shall be a problem. I'm being facetious here but lol someone crazy enough may do this Smiley
Here is the idea:
1. Gather all mining equipment you can get
2. Get one of these portable nuclear power station. http://www.hyperionpowergeneration.com/
3. Find a remote place in NWT at the cost of $1/acre. http://www.ehow.com/facts_6775117_homestead-act-canada.html
4. Build biosphere 3, powered by mining rigs.
5. The birth of Bitcointopia!

allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2011, 02:55:55 PM

I forgot to ask thou I know Linux a bit but to be honest I'm pretty much a n00b I can make my way around terminal and such not much for GUIs ect but is there any good software from overclocking past what overdrive will let you ? In the linuxcoin distro ?

Assuming I can figure out why I'm getting rpc errors ?

Well you should be able to set any clock rate you want with AMDoverdrivectl or even with aticonfig. To be honest I haven't tried to overclock my cards under linuxcoin but theoretically it should work just the same as in windows except that you're doing it via command line.

RPC errors means your miner lost connectivity to the master bitcoin daemon. Are you mining solo, pool? This usually means there is a network connectivity issue or massive packet loss/lag.

allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2011, 02:57:59 PM

He needs to move this operation to the Northwest Territories (Just above Alberta where he is) or as close as possible to the north pole as possible Tongue. When it's -30 outside I don't think cooling shall be a problem. I'm being facetious here but lol someone crazy enough may do this Smiley
Here is the idea:
1. Gather all mining equipment you can get
2. Get one of these portable nuclear power station. http://www.hyperionpowergeneration.com/
3. Find a remote place in NWT at the cost of $1/acre. http://www.ehow.com/facts_6775117_homestead-act-canada.html
4. Build biosphere 3, powered by mining rigs.
5. The birth of Bitcointopia!

That Hyperiod mini nuclear reactor is really cool. I'd definitely get one if I was super rich. I bet that the thing costs millions of dollars so I don't think it's within the reach of even the most hardcore bitcoin miner.

pwnyboy

Activity: 125

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 06:56:37 AM

Yes.

This is what I was talking about with partitioning early on.

To add to this, I would think regular plywood for the partitions, assuming the original scheme as depicted in the OP's drawings is used.  You could go as far as to space the plywood off of the shelving with a 2x4, this would give you almost 2" that you could use to staple insulation to the inside of the plywood.  You can hinge the plywood at the top, where it fastens to the 2x4 beam, to make the shelves accessible by simply flippling the plywood up.  If the shelves are made of a solid material as-depicted, I'd envision ventilation ducts for input and output attaching to each side of the shelf ends (so at a 90 degree angle to the plywood which runs the length of the shelf, input at one end, output at the other end).  This would also be extremely easy to build up and test because you could do it with just one level of one shelf.  If you settled on a good vendor for the fans (like some place akin to Walmart) which sold fans with a rated CFM, you could test, adjust, test some more, and have a pretty good idea of how your system will perform using the delta T calculation provided above.

But that's merely conjecture, and math is hard.  It's much easier to just go shopping for video cards and ignore the details.. yanno?

mathx

Activity: 29

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 07:30:48 AM

Oh geez. I didnt even read the whole thread. In a former life I ran a 10,000 sq ft data centre, and build cluster computers for many different outfits.

Luckily we had real budgets so we bought AC's and proper server rooms.

Cheaper solution is to use environmental cooling. see intel's site for more info on that.

You can move regular temperature air in, just gotta move more faster (exponentially) as the temp diff between outside air and your cards is lower (course ,the cards
will just get hotter if you arent cooling them enough, then fail or otherwise). Obviously having them throttle down based on operating temp will keep your investment safe.

Try to keep your exhaust air from incoming air as seperate as possible - duct away from the cards as you can. Beware however, if there's a failure of incoming air for any reason,  your ducting may insulate your cards from new cool air, and you'll quickly achieve burnout (or possibly fire)? One way to do this is to keep two air moving systems on the same circuit as the rig itself, so if the power goes out then everything is off, not just the AC/air mover. You dont want your gear in a small box with a tiny air buffer that it can heat up to very hot in a short time while still powered. Thermal trips on the mobos will also help of course, they can just shut off the whole system if too hot.

Ducting upwards is a good way to keep exhaust from one row away from the next. (course you need to get it back away from the shelf as per the diagrams first, so back, then up), so you need incoming air coming from the 3rd dimention, from the side, then thru the back, then up and out, then there's no mixing of air, or exhaust air becoming input air to the next row. (You could also have air coming in the bottom, but now you're talking raised floor).

Im thinking at approx 0.7-0.9W/W to cool with a professional chiller, that it isnt worth it. Cheaper to throttle on hot days and use ambient air. 1.8x the cost of power is a big increase in cost.

a 1 ton chiller will cool 12000 BTU/hr, or about 3500W of cooling ish. That will cool 4000-5000 W of dissipated heat. a 1 ton chiller is about $5000 USD new in places, i see some for $3k used. Install is going to be at least that (then count shipping).

http://www.dimplexthermal.com/UsedChillerStore.aspx

15 ton for $18.5 K, add in $5-8k for ship/install assuming you have some power busses in place already for 3phase etc. Pushing $25K gives you cooling using ~50kva for 60-75,000VA (depending on many factors). 50kva is about $6.25/hr in my market (assuming you're not enjoying industrial rates, in which case it's about 60-90% of that), which is ~$30/day or ~~$1k/mo. not huge, the capital cost and install will beat operating in amortization for 24 months or more.

However, I think bigger blowers will give you more ambient environmental air, just gotta clean your gear more often. Itll turn black if you're in a city/near any roads due to diesel particulate. Pretty gross.
Filtering the air just means lower airflow due to backpressure/drag. Cleaning is cheaper Smiley Doesnt affect operation for the most part, unless your fans are getting gummed up. Watch for humidity issues however in very dry climates/winter, could get static and sparks and dead gear. Wetness wont be an issue if the room is always 20F > outside... however, gear may really suffer when its 90F out and 110-130F inside. So will the humans.

Chucksta

Activity: 168

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 08:13:32 AM

LOL, mug... you've only got a month at best before this becomes unprofitable... that's if the price does not change and the we continue getting similar increases in difficulty.

I hope I am wrong, as it would be nice to make a bit more than a few hundred dollars profit from this.
CalibrataBG

Activity: 38

View Profile
May 29, 2011, 09:08:36 AM

for mining that's OVERKILL!

Question is are you that stupid to invest in this at this time or you know something we don't? Please do tell!
All distributed computing projects I know are unpayed, made for dumb people that don't get they're being used, so maybe I'm missing something...

PS. I wonder why you ask about cooling ... when the answer is obvious ...
colossus

Activity: 121

Obey me and live or disobey and die.

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 05:37:37 AM

Remember to put this on youtube after your done building it.
warweed (OP)

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 07:14:30 AM

Its all in the works 27 miners are up ATM but there all in cases ATM the others are a work in progress were are having issues getting enough power to our location ATM so were looking into other options As for The last poster WTF are you talking about man are you on glue ?

My power bill comes in at 700/mo. Right now

I'm currently at current difficulty mining average 35 btc a day ...

Do the math it is certainly worth it for me to mine and expand my mining operations and I put aside a certain % dependent on a few variables for expanding my mining operation to stay ahead of the game right now I'm operating at zero loss what so ever and a rather large net. Profit

So yes I know something you obviosily don't mining is profitable
inh

Activity: 155

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 01:14:34 PM

Its all in the works 27 miners are up ATM but there all in cases ATM the others are a work in progress were are having issues getting enough power to our location ATM so were looking into other options As for The last poster WTF are you talking about man are you on glue ?

My power bill comes in at 700/mo. Right now

I'm currently at current difficulty mining average 35 btc a day ...

Do the math it is certainly worth it for me to mine and expand my mining operations and I put aside a certain % dependent on a few variables for expanding my mining operation to stay ahead of the game right now I'm operating at zero loss what so ever and a rather large net. Profit

So yes I know something you obviosily don't mining is profitable

So each machine only gets about 500 Mh/s ? Seems like there is a LOT of room for improvement here.
pwnyboy

Activity: 125

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 01:28:59 PM

So each machine only gets about 500 Mh/s ? Seems like there is a LOT of room for improvement here.

The OP decided on the one-card-per-box strategy for all of the new deployments because he could get machines for something like $20 each (see previous pages in this thread).  It could be argued that when you multiply that figure out by 4, he could've bought one of those MSI boards with slots for 4 cards, plus a low power Sempron for maybe $240 versus the $80.  But the power savings would likely take 6 or so months to pay back the difference.. and one could argue that it's a wise move to pay the difference in power in the short-term, if his goal is to get as many rigs up as he can with a given budget constraint.  I'd likely employ the same strategy if I were him.
inh

Activity: 155

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 01:37:27 PM

But you also deacrease your footprint by 4 times as well, which allows for more efficient cooling and then you not only gain the power savings of going from four to one systems, but also the gain in going from four crappy PSUs to one decent. it's all a trade off. Personally i'd go for a more dense system.
Meatball

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 01:46:54 PM

But you also deacrease your footprint by 4 times as well, which allows for more efficient cooling and then you not only gain the power savings of going from four to one systems, but also the gain in going from four crappy PSUs to one decent. it's all a trade off. Personally i'd go for a more dense system.

I don't know if I agree with that.  I've noticed that cramming 4 cards into one box puts off a lot more heat than a single card in the box.  Might be a wash with the fewer CPU's/PSU's though...
airdata

Activity: 1148
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 01:59:40 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16896808070&cm_re=air_conditioner_portable-_-96-808-070-_-Product

8000btu portable air conditioner $229 + free shipping

▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄
██████████▀▀  █████████████████▀      ▀████████████████▀      ▀████████
▄█████████     ████████████████   ▄██▄   ██████████████   ▄██▄   ███████▄
████████████   ███████████████████████   ████████████████████▀   ████████
████████████   █████████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████     █████████
████████████   ███████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████████▄   ████████
▀███████████   █████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████   ▀██▀   ███████▀
███████████   ████████████████          ███████████████▄      ▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀