Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:05:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: DRK vs XMR warez  (Read 13302 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Propulsion

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

The Buck Stops Here.

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 03:29:40 AM

Compelling argument. Exactly none of your points addressed the technical merits of either coin.

Here's one that I think a lot of people seem to overlook.

Darkcoin is forked from Bitcoin v0.10.

That means that anything created for Bitcoin can be easily adopted for Darkcoin.
  • Mycellium
  • Trezor
  • Electrum
  • Openbazaar
  • Darkleaks
  • Etc...

Monero doesn't have the luxury of being able to use some of these great projects that have been in development for years.

Having most of the base work already completed is a major advantage for Darkcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
stopsigningbitch

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 04:08:17 AM

Compelling argument. Exactly none of your points addressed the technical merits of either coin.

Here's one that I think a lot of people seem to overlook.

Darkcoin is forked from Bitcoin v0.10.

That means that anything created for Bitcoin can be easily adopted for Darkcoin.
  • Mycellium
  • Trezor
  • Electrum
  • Openbazaar
  • Darkleaks
  • Etc...

Monero doesn't have the luxury of being able to use some of these great projects that have been in development for years.

Having most of the base work already completed is a major advantage for Darkcoin.

Actually, that works the other way around propulsion.  Think of it this way: Bitcoin has had people build that infructaure around it, they built all those things for profit and to be the dominant companies/people in that field(like coinbase is trying to be for regulated exchanges, etc). The reason why bitcoin has all those things built around it is many other things in life are based around, To gain Money/Profit.

If a coin that doesn't possess the same underlying code as Bitcoin reaches heights where it's being used continually for buying/selling, then that infrastructure that was built around Bitcoin would happen to said coin as people compete to be the dominant leaders of whatever infrastructure they build around said coin.
Pline

Activity: 448
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 01:03:11 PM

A better comparison would probably be DRK vs BBR (Boolberry)

Darkcoin provides a reasonable solution for making anonymous transactions. Boolberry has the best CryptoNote implementation to date, ihmo.

Let me sum this up for you. 

The technology behind cryptonote obliterates darkcoin.  It's mathematically provable, it doesn't have random nodes that mostly exist in the amazon cloud to mix shit.

Monero cons

Original authors are scam artists so other devs have taken it over (for XMR)
Low market cap
Mostly held up by bitcoin whales who have no experience in altcoins
Not enough money to fund development (devs are using their own money).  Probably will run out at some point and project will die.
Kinda fubar'd emission

Dark cons

Massive premine
Alternated emission curve to jack price up (make early guys rich on shoulders of late guys after the fact).  Use of node required funding to prop price up.
Spaghetti code
Hypeish name that attracts the wrong crowd
Project will die as soon as devs don't have more coins to unload on a market they create by releasing features.  Even if that isn't the case, changing emission curve as dramatically as it was PLUS the massive instamine will kill it longterm.

This I think is a very accurate description of the cons. I think the underlying theme is they are both bullshit and better can be done.

In terms of 'true' anonymity no coin offers this at present.

What about ShadowCash: http://www.slideshare.net/shadowcash/presentation3-43827434

If Shadow truly does what they say, then its the only coin to offer true anonymity with non-interactive zero knowledge proofs.  This along with dual-key stealth addresses, and ring signatures for further obfuscation means its an obvious winner does it not?  The dual key stealth addresses are also very important also for severing the link between transactions.

Monero uses ring signatures for obfuscation and its just another form of mixing, from what I understand.  DRK is also more mixing and coinjoin.  Shadow is the only coin using zero knowledge from what I have seen.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  What do you think of Shadow?  Am I just shilling?  Because to me it honestly seems like the best solution, but I am open to change my mind if someone can offer any insight, thanks.
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 01:12:34 PM

Shadow is the only coin using zero knowledge from what I have seen.

Is there more zero knowledge technology in Shadow than for example in DuckNote?
Propulsion

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

The Buck Stops Here.

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 01:13:38 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong.  What do you think of --------?  Am I just shilling?  Because to me it honestly seems like the best solution, but I am open to change my mind if someone can offer any insight, thanks.

Yeah Pline you're just shilling. Look at the damn title of the thread. The discussion is about two currencies not every single 'anonymous coin' like Nojavo and whatever the ooooh me tooo is.

child_harold

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 01:15:15 PM

Why even compare those two coins when Shadow (sdc) beats them all in privacy, distribution and usability.

+1

Quite right. Did whoever start this thread deliberately ignore the dark horse in this race.

Like DRK, Shadow is A BTC fork
Like XMR, Shadow has cryptonote-like ZK transactions, but better*

So Shadow has a cutting-edge NIZKP (non-interactive zero-knowledge proof) implementation, the first of its kind on a BTC blockchain, and is ready for B2B use today.

It is super fast. No waiting for DarkSend. No Masternodes.
And a working GUI wallet.

And the wallet has a built-in P2P encrypted chat system allowing merchant/customer to deal securely.

*pending the Zeuner peer review both XMR and DRK know is coming.

illodin

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 01:20:37 PM

Why even compare those two coins when Shadow (sdc) beats them all in privacy, distribution and usability.

+1

Quite right. Did whoever start this thread deliberately ignore the dark horse in this race.

Like DRK, Shadow is A BTC fork
Like XMR, Shadow has cryptonote-like ZK transactions, but better*

So Shadow has a cutting-edge NIZKP (non-interactive zero-knowledge proof) implementation, the first of its kind on a BTC blockchain, and is ready for B2B use today.

It is super fast. No waiting for DarkSend. No Masternodes.
And a working GUI wallet.

And the wallet has a built-in P2P encrypted chat system allowing merchant/customer to deal securely.

*pending the Zeuner peer review both XMR and DRK know is coming.

Shadow is so yesterday, Navajoe coin is clearly the best with its State of Art Double Encrypted Anonymous Technology Blockchain.
Pline

Activity: 448
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 01:22:44 PM

Not sure, I tried looking into ducknote/darknote before but didn't gleam too much info about it. I think it is just a cryptonote clone.  Where Shadow is a unique system of itself.  Does ducknote really use zero knowledge? How do they implement it?

Correct me if I'm wrong.  What do you think of --------?  Am I just shilling?  Because to me it honestly seems like the best solution, but I am open to change my mind if someone can offer any insight, thanks.

Yeah Pline you're just shilling. Look at the damn title of the thread. The discussion is about two currencies not every single 'anonymous coin' like Nojavo and whatever the ooooh me tooo is.

Ohhh I don't think its shilling though.  Its an honest question, because seems on the surface that Shadow blows these other coins away with their zero knowledge tech.  Maybe you see it as a threat to your favored coin?  I am looking for the best anon solution, not just to make profit off my holdings.
child_harold

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 01:26:07 PM

LOL

I'll go out on a limb here and say YES

Shadow is so yesterday, Navajoe coin is clearly the best with its State of Art Double Encrypted Anonymous Technology Blockchain.

Laugh it up while u still can…

p.s. hey Pline \o/

illodin

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 01:55:11 PM

I have larger percentage of the float of SDC than I have DRK, so please pump it up already so I can get second round of profit from it.
child_harold

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 02:09:25 PM

I have larger percentage of the float of SDC than I have DRK, so please pump it up already so I can get second round of profit from it.

1) DUDE! I'm so happy to hear you have SDC! In our encounters I have not missed your obvious shrewdness and stuborness - two great qualities for a crypto-player

2) This is not difficult given the outrageous price difference between Shadow (now ~$0.04) compared to DRk and XMR (esp given SDC has much lower inflation than either of you!)

3) How many XMR do u own Smiley hehe

respect

p.s. doin' my best for you bro!

illodin

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 02:15:03 PM

If rpietila's visions about the price become true I will be billionaire.
00Smurf

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 02:30:03 PM

I own all 3 but the majority is in SDC shadowcash. Tech wise I think SDC is the leader.

But I have no doubt the other two will be able to have good money made on them. Any good investor is diversified.
child_harold

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 02:47:35 PM

I own all 3 but the majority is in SDC shadowcash. Tech wise I think SDC is the leader.

But I have no doubt the other two will be able to have good money made on them. Any good investor is diversified.

Much to my chagrin you prove my point. shrewd.

toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 03:26:40 PM

In saying that, I see no point to DRK, it is a variation on everything else.

Let's split "the point" to DRK into 2 categories:

- monetary
 - technological

Monetarily, there are generally 6 accepted "properties": portability, durability, divisability, scarecity, un-consumability and fungibility.

Bitcoin exhibits all of these except 1: fungibility. So there's the first "point" to DRK - it adds fungibility where there is a problem in bitcoin.

Technologically, the "point" to DRK is that it's technology is designed to support the fungibility requirement as optimally as possible. For example the coins are pre-mixed while in the wallet. This is a very different approach from attempting to "hide" individual transactions right at the point of use because it places the emphasis on supporting a monetary property rather than a technological one.

As far as "the point" to DRK relative to other anonymous coins, there are probably several but the one I would pick out is that the others are almost exclusively obsessed with pursuing "anon-technology". This is admirable but it isn't where the value or marketcap comes from. Most of it comes from a monetary premium gained from adoption as a monetary medium whether that be a as store of value or as a token of goods exchange. So pursuing monetary properties over technological ones will always produce more effective returns in terms of value.

If you look at the history of crypto-currencies you can see that first mover advantage combined with a trusted development plan thats seen to be delivering is an almost guarantee of market supremacy. Even if others come along which improve on your tech, they don't do anything to your marketcap unless you make some kind of catastrophic mistake. This has been true for so many cases - bitcoin, litecoin, NXT, Bitshares, Peercoin etc. They've all had both clones and originals in the same market sector, none of which really challenged their market position.

I'd probably even include Monero in that category because it was one of the early cryptonote coins that has sustained its position in the top 20 and it has a respectable 2M+ cap. So it's not a sh*tcoin. It's also a good hedge for DRK because it uses a completely different algo, however the fact that Darkcoin is compatible with Bitcoin's API is a huge commercial advantage for it which will help to consolidate its position IMO.
stopsigningbitch

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 07:16:27 PM

Lmao, even the shitcoin Darkcoin cant be compared to the even shittier shitcoin Shadowcash

Shadowcash's implementation of "ring sigs" is mediocre at best. In simple terms, it's kind of like a rusty, broken down version of cryptonote's ring signatures.
child_harold

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 11:39:53 PM

Lmao, even the shitcoin Darkcoin cant be compared to the even shittier shitcoin Shadowcash

Shadowcash's implementation of "ring sigs" is mediocre at best. In simple terms, it's kind of like a rusty, broken down version of cryptonote's ring signatures.

And u are? Pls provide some evidence for your claims and a member of the Shadow team will forward to Zeuner for review.

fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2015, 11:23:45 AM

And u are? Pls provide some evidence for your claims and a member of the Shadow team will forward to Zeuner for review.

I can't speak for the person you're replying to, but I see this card being played a lot recently, and it gives me pause. Who is Isidor Zeuner, and what qualifies him to evaluate the cryptographic soundness of the proposed scheme as well as the merits and security of the code? I Google'd around to try figure it out, but to no avail.

According to his LinkedIn profile he is an "IT Consultant" whose "mission is to provide quality software solutions to demanding small and medium sized businesses."

His work history details that he has been involved in projects such as "custom functionality for embedded linux devices", "crawling, indexing and retrieval of content", and "web development".

I can find no mention of him on any publication available on arXiv, so given this body of evidence it's safe to say that he is not a recognised cryptographer (or a cryptographer at all).

I'm also not sure if the ShadowCoin team are paying him, but the top review on hie Freelancer profile is quite disturbing.

Don't get me wrong, in today's day and age nearly everyone has had something "controversial" splashed across the Internet, and invariably there are multiple sides to the story etc. etc., but nevertheless I think the term "renowned cryptographer" or whatever should not be bandied about without clarification thereof.

toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 12:26:43 PM

Fungibility:

ring sigs = keep the gold coins and try to hide the exchange
drk = melt the gold coins and show the exchange

No comparison.
rustynailer

Activity: 725
Merit: 501

Boycott Qatar 2022

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 12:38:56 PM

I can't speak for the person you're replying to, but I see this card being played a lot recently, and it gives me pause. Who is Isidor Zeuner, and what qualifies him to evaluate the cryptographic soundness of the proposed scheme as well as the merits and security of the code? I Google'd around to try figure it out, but to no avail.

According to his LinkedIn profile he is an "IT Consultant" whose "mission is to provide quality software solutions to demanding small and medium sized businesses."

His work history details that he has been involved in projects such as "custom functionality for embedded linux devices", "crawling, indexing and retrieval of content", and "web development".

I can find no mention of him on any publication available on arXiv, so given this body of evidence it's safe to say that he is not a recognised cryptographer (or a cryptographer at all).

I'm also not sure if the ShadowCoin team are paying him, but the top review on hie Freelancer profile is quite disturbing.

Don't get me wrong, in today's day and age nearly everyone has had something "controversial" splashed across the Internet, and invariably there are multiple sides to the story etc. etc., but nevertheless I think the term "renowned cryptographer" or whatever should not be bandied about without clarification thereof.

Here is a link to a recent article he has wrote. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/competing-completing-isidor-zeuner?trk=mp-reader-card
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: