Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:25:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should Everything Be Decentralized?  (Read 4315 times)
Beymond

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 03:25:56 PM

Internet allready has done a lot for decentralisation. Now everyone can sell his stuff on amazon, has a platform for his show or music on Youtube. Twitter and Facebook helped destroying totalitarian regimes all around the world.

The Internet did many things just like Bitcoin can do many things but it does not fundamentally change human nature which is what some of the "wing nuts" and cultists are claiming.

A friend of mine often talks about some very weird esoteric-stuff. He told me: The peoples minds will be connected..bla..bla..bla..

I said: The peoples minds ARE allready connected!And Web 3.0 is what you are waiting for!

He said: NO! Thats nonsense, it's for kids, NSA and geeks. Smiley

The internet makes what human nature can not do...it connects us ALL.

And so does/will bitcoin as a globally decentralized currency

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 03:41:51 PM

The problem is we have people like Bill Gates not fully endorsing Bitcoin because they are scared of its decentralized nature.
chmod755 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2015, 04:00:07 PM

The problem is we have people like Bill Gates not fully endorsing Bitcoin because they are scared of its decentralized nature.

That's not what he said. In the videos where he talks about Bitcoin he says that he's concerned about criminals using it, but he likes that it's cheaper than traditional payment methods.

A few members of the Bitcoin community are actively taking steps to make it more difficult for criminals to use Bitcoin, but we need more.

OpenOcean

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 01:52:40 PM

Some people in Bitcoin are arguing that everything (or most things) should be decentralized. I firmly disagree with them, and here's why:

1. There's only a limited amount of world-class programmers - if they are working on 1000 different projects it's very likely that 950 of these projects won't be used by more than just a few people - effectively wasting a lot of time that could be used to make a huge project.

2. Usability: Most projects that are trying to "decentralize" are not user-friendly at all. Companies however are building very user-friendly software and manage to actually attract a lot of users (see: coinbase.com)

There are certainly a few cool projects that are decentralized, but most of them will probably remain to be unknown by the general public.

Comments?

I like the notion of decentralization. In terms of everything being decentralized, that's a bit to black and white, and extreme. Decentralization should not happen for it's own sake, but for the sake of utility.

However, stating that there are very few great programmers out as being a reason to not have decentralization does not sit well with me personally. In fact I think that's why decentralization should happen as it might create incentive so that more people learn how to program and therefore yield a larger pool of great programmers.
stopsigningbitch

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 04:14:32 PM
Last edit: March 02, 2015, 03:32:07 AM by stopsigningbitch

I have to agree with HELP.org, the vast majority of you don't even understand what goes along with decentralization. An example of how decentralization can't work on some things in the real world is:

1) Decentralization of companies (Those in the company uninformed or ignorant on matters should be given equal right as those that are specially trained on such matters? Cashier vs Manager, think about it)
2) Decentralization of Public Transportation (This would cost anyone using Public Transportation much more money than they're using for it now, as you'd be responsible for contributing aka buying miners, and Also how would any repairs get done or any improvements?)
and more

As he pointed out, Reddit is not decentralized. If you want decentralization on the scale that Bitcoin has it or for everything in life, then you need to prepare to fork out a lot of $ just to keep doing what you're doing for relatively cheap today.

Get real people.
The Bad Guy

Activity: 280

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 05:15:00 PM

Decentralization should be on the Internet it self also .
Like http://maidsafe.net/ project for example of Kim Dotcom MegaNet project . so yes everything should be Decentralized .

HELP.org

Activity: 510
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2015, 03:31:01 AM

Like http://maidsafe.net/ project for example of Kim Dotcom MegaNet project . so yes everything should be Decentralized .

OK, let's start with your Bitcointalk account.  You need to give up control and somehow put the account into the blockchain so we can come to some kind of decentralized consensus on what you will be posted by the account. 

On the other hand you can consider https://piazza.com/princeton/spring2015/btctech/home  instead of posting nonsense.

Certified Bitcoin Professional
Bicoin.me - Bitcoin.me!
rockyrotcoin

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 03:13:35 PM

It should not be.

Malicious people will take advantage if everything is decentralized.
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 03:29:46 PM

Maid safe is the real shit. Kim Dotcoim is an opportunist, his stuff is not as legit.
Im going 75% in when the price goes back to 5000.
The Bad Guy

Activity: 280

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 04:01:02 PM

It should not be.

Malicious people will take advantage if everything is decentralized.
[/quote

It should be . At least some people start using their brains by then .
Instead of just trading (or anything else) without thinking then they go back to the police or whatever .

jdbtracker

Activity: 727

Minimum Effort/Maximum effect

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 12:46:19 PM

We have no choice Brothers and Sisters, we must Decentralize everything!

WE must decentralize Doctors, Lawyers, Politicians, Technicians, Scientists... they must become ubiquitous, available everywhere.

Professionals as a service whether they are A.I. or Human it does not matter, they must become available everywhere.

We have decentralized Money and with it we have gained access to all those who are willing to accept Bitcoin for their products and services.

We will decentralize manufacturing, Micro factories everywhere, expert designs custom made for everyone.

Decentralize Guns, Ammo, boxes, cars, everything.

I look forward to the day when I can randomly get into my neighbours car and pay my hard earned Bitcoins to drive to work.

Decentralized work, so I can work everywhere, Turn everything into a platform service... i want my tools to be decentralized, available when needed and Drone dropped to my work site...

I have a dream of Drones delivering food, tools, equipment to those who pay for it as a service... no longer will we wait at the Lunch Van deciding what to eat... I will have already made my choice on my phone. The Lunch Van will simply be a deployment area for all the gourmet meals without ever having exchanged my Bitcoins because I will have chosen my lunch as a service.

When I need security it will be provided in a decentralized manner, ubiquitously everywhere. Cameras shall watch my every move, located in every home and be paid for watching my back on my request because I paid for it as a service.

politicians, lobbysts i will pay them as a service to handle my interests and those who believe what I believe as a service.

Internet shall be Decentralized available everywhere. regardless of password, i shall pay every wi-fi hotspot as a service as I walk by them everyday, and they shall transition from hot spot to hot spot seemlessly.

I shall pay for my news and services as a service, autonomous AI programmed with my specifications scouring the internet looking out for my interests and informing me... news shall be decentralized.

electricity shall be decentralized, Fuel cell technology powering my home, solar patching as it can...

in the future every Man, Woman and Child will be a Army of one, dependent on no one but themselves.

If you think my efforts are worth something; I'll keep on keeping on.
I don't believe in IQ, only in Determination.
Daniel91
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 01:35:30 PM

WE must decentralize Doctors, Lawyers, Politicians, Technicians, Scientists... they must become ubiquitous, available everywhere.

Professionals as a service whether they are A.I. or Human it does not matter, they must become available everywhere.

We have decentralized Money and with it we have gained access to all those who are willing to accept Bitcoin for their products and services.

We will decentralize manufacturing, Micro factories everywhere, expert designs custom made for everyone.

I look forward to the day when I can randomly get into my neighbours car and pay my hard earned Bitcoins to drive to work.

Decentralized work, so I can work everywhere, Turn everything into a platform service... i want my tools to be decentralized, available when needed and Drone dropped to my work site...

I have a dream of Drones delivering food, tools, equipment to those who pay for it as a service... no longer will we wait at the Lunch Van deciding what to eat... I will have already made my choice on my phone. The Lunch Van will simply be a deployment area for all the gourmet meals without ever having exchanged my Bitcoins because I will have chosen my lunch as a service.

When I need security it will be provided in a decentralized manner, ubiquitously everywhere. Cameras shall watch my every move, located in every home and be paid for watching my back on my request because I paid for it as a service.

politicians, lobbysts i will pay them as a service to handle my interests and those who believe what I believe as a service.

Internet shall be Decentralized available everywhere. regardless of password, i shall pay every wi-fi hotspot as a service as I walk by them everyday, and they shall transition from hot spot to hot spot seemlessly.

I shall pay for my news and services as a service, autonomous AI programmed with my specifications scouring the internet looking out for my interests and informing me... news shall be decentralized.

electricity shall be decentralized, Fuel cell technology powering my home, solar patching as it can...

in the future every Man, Woman and Child will be a Army of one, dependent on no one but themselves.

Very interesting idea but I don't think that it can really work in real world.
We will always need central governments, army, police etc.
If we will live in ideal world without wars, conflicts, borders etc. such scenario will be possible but we are not on such stage of human development.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2015, 04:49:59 PM

Sounds like a movie synopsis.  Is this Avengers 2: Age of Ultron and you just spoiled it for everyone?!!

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 05:01:44 PM

If we will live in ideal world without wars, conflicts, borders etc. such scenario will be possible but we are not on such stage of human development.

Indeed, it s a good idea but unrealistic, we would require several orders of magnitude of human evolution for that to be sustainable. And if we don't have any of these, it would mean we don't even need money anymore to begin with.
jdbtracker

Activity: 727

Minimum Effort/Maximum effect

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 12:46:37 PM

Indeed, it s a good idea but unrealistic, we would require several orders of magnitude of human evolution for that to be sustainable. And if we don't have any of these, it would mean we don't even need money anymore to begin with.

What do you mean? It's already built. You just haven't noticed it yet. Smiley

If you think my efforts are worth something; I'll keep on keeping on.
I don't believe in IQ, only in Determination.
Cray4Cryptz

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 03:59:14 PM

Something should be centralized.
Not everyone is educated.

Look at those scammers and thieves who are on always on a prowl for unsecured sites, they do it because there is no central entity that will fuck him up if he did those things.

So, we sometimes need it.
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 05:23:37 PM

Look at those scammers and thieves who are on always on a prowl for unsecured sites, they do it because there is no central entity that will fuck him up if he did those things.

Like it or not we are heading towards a totally decentralized technological future, or at least the option of being at a totally decentralized internet.
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 05:39:11 PM

Like it or not we are heading towards a totally decentralized technological future, or at least the option of being at a totally decentralized internet.

Yes of course, the idea of decentralize everything is good but the process might be very very difficult because some people dont like to "decentralize" all the life aspect (yes I know it is hard to understand, but this is true). The freedom and the decentralization are really correlated.
Somekindabitcoin

Activity: 518

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 05:41:01 PM

I would actually like everything to be centralized, but by someone who could insure everything when using their services. In that, they charge you a fee or a monthly invoice for somewhat of an insurance.
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 10:58:11 PM

Yes of course, the idea of decentralize everything is good but the process might be very very difficult because some people dont like to "decentralize" all the life aspect (yes I know it is hard to understand, but this is true). The freedom and the decentralization are really correlated.
I dont think it will be difficult. People will naturally go towards it as they keep getting scammed with with fiat (they go to bitcoin) and they keep getting spyed on (they stop using normal internet for maidsafe etc)
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: