Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:25:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC-E.COM NICE RECOVERY FROM THE HACK! =)  (Read 50975 times)
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 03:19:27 AM

FWIW, I do believe the hacker is using the name 'MrWubbles'.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 03:20:01 AM

Your bitcoin, as long as you withdraw it, should still arrive. Good luck.

Unfortunately, you might have to write off your USD, or sell it at a massive loss. There is no way BTC-E has enough to pay out the USD.

I do not want withdraw "fake USD" from BTC-e... I will not touch that USD.

I just want, at least, those 140 BTC (total is 180 I had there for sure), withdraw still "pending" (i.e. not reached my wallet)...  :-/

Good luck for those that feel a bit lost now...  :-P

This is less worse than the "life with the government and banks"... lol
Unless one of the following is true, your BTC withdrawal will still go through.

• The hacker hacked in BTC as well.
  • BTC-E used fractional reserve.
  • BTC-E had a cold wallet.
  • BTC-E wakes up and discovers the hack.

Yes, I'm telling the truth. It is all here registered in my btc-e account anyway...  ;-)
I know you are telling the truth. I was reassuring you that the withdrawal will likely eventually go through.

I strongly suggest you discard the USD by selling it, while it is still worth ~1/5 of its actual value. The 40 BTC that is missing has been converted to USD, most likely. You can still retrieve some of that value from it.

How so?!
Did you have a sell order open? That may be the reason your BTC is now missing. (since price spiked to 99, all sell orders must have been fulfilled).
1QaZxSw2

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 03:20:45 AM

Well, Zhou needed to get the money to pay back everyone from somewhere I guess Cheesy

LOL
burnside
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

Lead Blockchain Developer

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 03:20:58 AM

I chickened out, ran away with my bitcoins while I still could.  Tongue

Smart and as a bonus you dont have to feel guilty about contributing to the death of another exchange just to make a fast buck...

Ditto here.  Canceled all my pending trades and withdrew.  2 confirms so far, I think I might have beat the clock.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 03:22:07 AM

Btter hope this does not hit mainstream media...another BTC robbery will only shake the BTC tree more and eventually result in a collapse

You couldn't ask for a worse hack/theft than bitcoinica. If we aren't screwed then, we ain't screwed now.

dree12
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 03:23:14 AM

I do believe MrWubbles is falsely taking credit. -retracted needless accusation-, however.

Nobody seems to have received payment back.
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 03:25:12 AM

Real Time!!
wndrbr3d

Activity: 914
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 03:25:24 AM

It looks like some hacker/scammer injected a huge amount of FAKE capital and bought the ACTUAL coins on the market.

I don't think a hack like this means they have access to the wallet, it just looks like they pumped a bunch of funny money USD into the market to make the transactions legit. I suspect the coins are giggity-gone at this point.
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 03:26:18 AM

I do believe MrWubbles is falsely taking credit. SupaDupaJenkins may be the culprit, however.
It's possible it's false, but it seems convincing to me. Maybe I'm too quick to trust people when they say I can't trust them.

dree12
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 03:28:30 AM

I do believe MrWubbles is falsely taking credit. SupaDupaJenkins may be the culprit, however.
It's possible it's false, but it seems convincing to me. Maybe I'm too quick to trust people when they say I can't trust them.
I'm monitoring the btc-e chat, and they seem to believe Mr. Wubbles is trolling.

He had obviously lied before about deleting the database. If Mr. Wubbles had the ability to do that, there would be a much easier way of "hurting the exchange" without hurting its users: withdraw the hot wallet directly.

I also find it hard to believe Wubbles would take more than 5 blocks to pay out.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 03:31:37 AM

I'm monitoring the btc-e chat, and they seem to believe Mr. Wubbles is trolling.

He had obviously lied before about deleting the database. If Mr. Wubbles had the ability to do that, there would be a much easier way of "hurting the exchange" without hurting its users: withdraw the hot wallet directly.

I'm pretty sure that would 'hurt the users' too. Though it wouldn't lure others in.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
dree12
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 03:32:37 AM

I'm pretty sure that would 'hurt the users' too. Though it wouldn't lure others in.
This hurts the users more. Mr. Wubbles has, in this way, not been consistent. At least one of his statements was a lie.
EnergyVampire

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 03:33:27 AM

Which payment processors and exchanges accept BTC-e codes?

tiberiandusk

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

The North Remembers

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 03:34:19 AM

Which payment processors and exchanges accept BTC-e codes?

None anymore.

Bitcoin Auction House http://www.BitBid.net BTC - 1EwfBVC6BwA6YeqcYZmm3htwykK3MStW6N | LTC - LdBpJJHj4WSAsUqaTbwyJQFiG1tVjo4Uys Don't get Goxed.
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 03:34:25 AM

He is. That doesn't mean he's not the hacker.

I agree. The hacker cannot do that, they can only buy BTC and withdraw them, most likely.

Bjork

Activity: 457
Merit: 250

Look for the bear necessities!!

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 03:35:54 AM

is it wrong that I'm hoping the hacker dumps those coins on gox so i can buy em up cheap

Lips sealed

Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 03:36:04 AM

Dont wanna scare anyone, but look:
https://blockchain.info/tx-index/14019256/cce8c325893d90e1d99e116e9279cf2e3e3f5ae6703854020726a660d8491289

15k BTC now receiving 6 confirmations. Where are they heading to MtGox?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 03:36:12 AM

So as an experiment I deposited ~ 1 BTC sold if for USD, bought the BTC back using my USD balance and withdrew the 0.8 BTC.  Yeah i "lost" 0.2 BTC but the point was to test the liquidity of the BTC side.

This makes me very confident that my (and others) original theory was correct. The attacker ONLY increased the amount of USD.  Period.  Nothing else.  There also appears to be some (at least 0.8 BTC as of 2 minute ago) BTC left.  Likely the hacker hit some per account limit or got his account suspended preventing him for getting 100% of the BTC.  

So what that means if you will very soon see HYPER INFLATION on the BTC-E exchange.  Think of BTC as the "goods" in the BTC-E economy.  The BTC-E USD money supply has been massively inflated but the amount of "goods" (BTC) hasn't.  This is the recipe for massive inflation.  It was inflated by the hacker/counterfeiter.  Normally we think of central banks as the one doing inflating and generally that is true in major economies however any increase in money supply  (even illegal ones like counterfeiting) causes inflation  As people realize this they will dump USD for BTC driving the price higher and higher and higher.  $50, $100, $500, maybe even $25,000 USD per BTC.

There is SOME (who knows how much) real BTC on the exchange but anyone hanging on to USD "profits" is an idiot.  Selling USD for BTC at 50%, 70% even 90% loss is better than holding on to a hyperinflating currency.  You may say "the money supply is no longer inflating" while that is true, but price action often lags the actual increase in the money supply.  If the hacker increased the USD money supply by say a factor of 50x then eventually USD:BTC will rise by a factor of 50x.  Under that scenario BTC-E "USD" are worth only 1/50th of "real USD".    

How much did the hacker inflate the BTC-E USD money supply?  I don't have a clue ... but do you want to find out holding BTC or BTC-E "USD?"
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 03:36:27 AM

woah, I wonder howmany people are gaining/loosing money from this guy

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
dree12
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 03:37:15 AM

So as an experiment I deposited BTC sold if for USD, bought the BTC back and withdrew.  I got my "test" 0.8 BTC out of the exchange (minus some trading losses).

This makes me very confident that my (and others) original theory was correct.  The attacker ONLY increased the amount of USD.  Period.  Nothing else.  There also appears to be some (at least 0.8 BTC as of 2 minute ago) BTC left.  Likely the hacker hit some per account limit. 

So what that means if you will very soon see HYPER INFLATION on the BTC-E exchange.  Think of BTC as the "goods".  The BTC-E USD money supply has been massively inflated.  As people realize this they will dump USD for BTC driving the price higher and higher and higher.  $50, $100, $500, maybe even $25,000 USD per BTC.

There is SOME (who knows how much) real BTC on the exchange but anyone hanging on to USD "profits" is an idiot.  Selling USD for BTC at 50%, 70% even 90% loss is better than holding on to a hyperinflating currency.  You may say "the money supply is no longer inflating" while that is true price action often lags the actual increase in the money supply.  If the hacker increased the USD money supply by say a factor of 50x then eventually USD:BTC will rise by a factor of 50x. 

No way BTC-E can pay out all the fake USD so get into the store of value ... BTC.
Well said. I've been urging this for a while.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: