Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:01:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How much would it cost to buy 51% of owned BTC (excluding lost/unused/unallocated)
< $5 billion
$5 billion to $50 billion
$50 billion to $100 billion
$100 billion to $500 billion
$500 billion to $1 trillion
> $1 trillion

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cost of buying 51% of BTC (for attack if bitcoin were to go PoS)  (Read 1858 times)
happygeorge (OP)

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

In da Jungle!

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 04:40:54 AM

If Bitcoin were to go the Proof of Stake option (using sidechains perhaps), one of the problem people have with the idea is that it will become much less secure because it would be very cheap to perform a 51% attack.

Some PoS coins boast that you need more than 51% of the coin to control/destroy the normal functioning of the network, but we'll just focus on 51% now.

How much would it cost to buy 51% of BTC (not including lost/unused/unallocated)

Please comment below.  

The reason it is 51% of "owned" coins is that in PoS only actively owned/used coins count, so lost/unused coins don't count... at present, i think there are about 10-12million BTC that are "used"... so the question is, how much to buy about 6million btc...although this figure may change if the purchase happens slowly, over a year or two. The cost estimate still stays valid/interesting

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
koelen3
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1007

Sooner or later, a man who wears two faces forgets

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 05:08:39 AM

If Bitcoin were to go the Proof of Stake option (using sidechains perhaps), one of the problem people have with the idea is that it will become much less secure because it would be very cheap to perform a 51% attack.

Some PoS coins boast that you need more than 51% of the coin to control/destroy the normal functioning of the network, but we'll just focus on 51% now.

How much would it cost to buy 51% of BTC (not including lost/unused/unallocated)

Please comment below.  

The reason it is 51% of "owned" coins is that in PoS only actively owned/used coins count, so lost/unused coins don't count... at present, i think there are about 10-12million BTC that are "used"... so the question is, how much to buy about 6million btc...although this figure may change if the purchase happens slowly, over a year or two. The cost estimate still stays valid/interesting

51% attack means To own the 51% of hashing power over all not 51% of btc
sandy47bt

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 06:41:57 AM

If you keep buying bitcoin, it will be more expensive.
And you will reach point where you can't buy bitcoin since bitcoin price is too expensive.
Maybe you will like The Hunt brothers who trying to buy as many silver as they can
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2015, 06:47:07 AM

When a coin is POW, yes, but POS is different. POS is vulnerable to a 51% shareholder attack. Honestly I don't believe that this could be done. Good luck finding 7 million Bitcoin to buy.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
stopsigningbitch

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 06:53:56 AM

When a coin is POW, yes, but POS is different. POS is vulnerable to a 51% shareholder attack. Honestly I don't believe that this could be done. Good luck finding 7 million Bitcoin to buy.

You have it wrong. You don't need 51% of the total coins to do the attack. You just need 51% of the total staking coins to do the attack(which is much lower than 51% of the total coins).

Thats why PoS is not as secure as PoW.
happygeorge (OP)

In da Jungle!

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 07:07:01 AM

Please comment below.  

the whole point is to consider this this if Bitcoin switched to Proof of Stake (POS)... so not about hashing power...but the number of units

my curiosity is what people think the cost of buying the coins would be if it was POS
happygeorge (OP)

In da Jungle!

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 07:11:54 AM

You have it wrong. You don't need 51% of the total coins to do the attack. You just need 51% of the total staking coins to do the attack(which is much lower than 51% of the total coins).

That's a good point.. though that seems to be alleviated by things like "balance leasing" 

"it is possible to loan forging power from one account to another without giving up control of the tokens associated with the account. Using a transaction of the account control type, an account owner may temporarily reduce an accounts effective balance to zero, adding it to the effective balance of another account. The targeted accounts forging power is increased until the end of a time period specified by the original account owner, after which the effective balance is returned to the original account."
https://wiki.nxtcrypto.org/wiki/Whitepaper:Nxt#Balance_leasing
koelen3
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1007

Sooner or later, a man who wears two faces forgets

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 07:13:17 AM

Please comment below.  

the whole point is to consider this this if Bitcoin switched to Proof of Stake (POS)... so not about hashing power...but the number of units

my curiosity is what people think the cost of buying the coins would be if it was POS

Okay so even if you're considering it to go PoS , it is quite good but will need 51% of Staking hash
Though i would like to know this too , what could happen and how ?
happygeorge (OP)

In da Jungle!

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 07:16:34 AM

I think you need at least $1 trillion to buy 51% of all bitcoin
I'm sure bitcoin price could rise up to $1 million if you do that Grin

But, bitcoin will fail if it going to PoS

I hope you voted <$5 billion in that case... since you think POS will kill bitcoin
happygeorge (OP)

In da Jungle!

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 07:19:49 AM

A friend of mine suggested that the gov't (or some evil attacking entity) would ANNOUNCE their plans publicly to buy 51% of the POS Bitcoins

virtapayseller666

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 07:21:03 AM

Please comment below.  

51% hashing power its very large bitcoin network is very large so need so manny bitcoins

this will rise bitcoins price if you bought

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2015, 07:29:01 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi2thGzzNSs

happygeorge (OP)

In da Jungle!

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 07:41:37 AM

This video talks about the "old" bitcoin that is POW... this thread is on the "what if..." on a new bitcoin that were to become Proof of Stake
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2015, 08:49:52 AM

I did not realize this, thank you for telling me. Well then PoS seems even more vulnerable to me.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
BitmoreCoin

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 11:24:17 AM

The more you buy, the more expensive the coin will be. So it could cost you $10m*7m to buy up 51% of existing btc. However, if somebody owns 51% of btc, it could be worthless then.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4447

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 01:31:43 PM

OP ill sell you my:
1st bitcoin for $250
2nd bitcoin for $255
3rd bitcoin for $260
3000th bitcoin for $15000

if everyone else done the same .. well your thinking billions$ -> trillions$ just to get 7m coins

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 01:35:17 PM

If bitcoin change to a PoS algorithm then it is not more "bitcoin" , because the real bitcoin is based to a PoW algorithm. However I think "> $1 trillion".
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4610

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 01:43:54 PM

I don't know much about POS, but my understanding was that the problem is that you don't need to own ANY of the coins that currently exist at all.  You just need to own 50% of the coins that existed at some point in time in the past.

So, I could spend some of my unspent outputs, and then I could sell (or give) those useless (worthless) now spent outputs to someone else.  If they can manage to collect up >50% of the outputs that were unspent at that point in time (even if they've all been spent since then), then they can mount an attack.

Perhaps my understanding is flawed?  This is where I thought the biggest vulnerability was.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2015, 01:49:54 PM

This video talks about the "old" bitcoin that is POW... this thread is on the "what if..." on a new bitcoin that were to become Proof of Stake

ah okay, i thought it was the same old story again  Cheesy

inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 01:53:44 PM

Your question is based upon a false assumption that a 51% attack on a PoS coin requires one to purchase 51% of coins.

Certain variations of PoS have already been successfully attacked with only 5% stake - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=897493.0, and more sophisticated variants of PoS likely need around 25% stake. This stake doesn't need to be purchased either but could be temporarily leased, held by an early stakeholder, or come from a compromised large stakeholder. With PoW there are physical considerations and expenses that often need to be met before performing a 51% attack which raises the security of bitcoin.

This being said, I like TaPoS and would like it added as a PoW/TapoS sidechain or as a security layer within a wallet ontop of PoW for bitcoin. We should be considering ideas to make bitcoin more secure and not less secure just in the name of cutting down on an electric bill.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: