Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 12:05:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you "scared" that Bitcoin might actually succeed?  (Read 3751 times)
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2015, 05:21:30 PM

I believe it would take a lot to get to that point, although am I scared? No, not at all. The World is craving change.

countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 07:22:38 PM

No, I'm not scared, because I have a few BTC which will provide me a bright future. It is the billions of people who don't have any BTC who should be scared.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
Monetizer

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 09:08:28 PM

I am not scared of bitcoin I am scared about the "bag holder" aka early miners/adopters. They can ruin all in less than one month. Bitcoin is a good technologi (blockchain) and I think it will succeed for sure.

There's only one person that could crash Bitcoin to nothing and I'm convinced he's dead.

I don't think he will dump all his bitcoin, after has created this "currency" (peer-to-peer electronic cash system). He will be very crazy if he will do this thing. Bitcoin will succeed only when all the governments will "shut down".

If you where living an ok life and found you had a billion dollars to your name would you not use a little bit of it? Not saying he would ofcourse but he has a lot to him and no one knows truelly who he is.
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 09:20:15 PM
Last edit: March 06, 2015, 09:38:17 PM by Bobsurplus

In April/May 2011 (and earlier) this forum was much quieter, and great conversations were easy to find. Those days are gone forever.
I want Biction to succeed "all the way", but that journey will not be easy. The establishment will fight back and the going could get rough.
Hopefully we will be flooded with a new group of honest people who have no intention of setting up more "failed companies".

Do you think the huge wave of venture capital will continue without big setbacks?
Are you "scared" that Bitcoin might actually succeed (and then have serious issues), or are you focused on the bright side?

LOL, yeah because what happens in this forum sets the tone for the future of bitcoin....

Cheesy

Your title sucks, it should read: I'm a long time permabull losing my grip, PLEASE help!

LOL.. Grin

For real though... You've been around for long enough to know where Bitcoin is going. You've seen all the threads, heard all the arguments and you still know that bitcoin is the future so suck it up.. This forum sucks, its's never gonna be what it was and soon it wont be needed at all. Bitcoin has already outgrown this forum over a year ago. You shouldn't be making decisions based on the lack of good quality posts/members here. Its a fucking cesspool and the leader of the pack Sir Theymos doesn't give two shits about the forum or it's users.

So am I scared that Bitcoin will succeed, Hell no.. Only ones who would be, are the few that have not bought in yet and are waiting for the train to leave the station prior to buying their tickets. Those are the ones who are worried and should be scared.

#BitcoinToTheMoon
okthen

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 09:30:09 PM

No, I'm not afraid at all.
I never shared the dreams that bitcoin would end corruption and economical freedom to all. I think if it indeed reaches massive adoption it will allow governments and people to do much of what they do now.
But there are two aspects that I think make bitcoin worth succeeding:

1 - bringing back the gold-pattern; no more injecting money by central powers
2 - quickness and ease of use; end of fiat, making everything so much simpler
homeless hacker

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 09:42:01 PM

Bitcoin has already succeeded. Look around.
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 10:47:43 PM

In April/May 2011 (and earlier) this forum was much quieter, and great conversations were easy to find. Those days are gone forever.
I want Biction to succeed "all the way", but that journey will not be easy. The establishment will fight back and the going could get rough.
Hopefully we will be flooded with a new group of honest people who have no intention of setting up more "failed companies".

Do you think the huge wave of venture capital will continue without big setbacks?
Are you "scared" that Bitcoin might actually succeed (and then have serious issues), or are you focused on the bright side?

bitcoin had potential til the VC types came along, don't see how anyone would consider vc's as positive, they are leeches that make bitcoin no better the the bank controls fiat....of course that plays into gov hands so thats where btc is heading anyways.

most people consider btc success vs its price in USD  Embarrassed so as a fiat maker well u'll get the success as a currency success will never come for it.

Please, please shut the fuck up. Every one of your posts I've read has been stupid as fuck. Companies around Bitcoin is what helps grow the currency. It's what gives Bitcoin it's economy. Without VC's, Bitcoin would be nowhere and going nowhere.

I'm just gonna put your dumb ass on ignore, cause reading your ill-thought out, retarded ass posts makes my blood boil.

if other peoples opinion on the internet makes your blood boil, you my friend need to turn your internets off and go out get some clean fresh air and lighten up Smiley

please lay off the personal attacks you're only making one person look dumbass here  Wink
L

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 10:55:38 PM

Not scared at all, hoping it will succeed, this is a great technology enabling individuals to do business freely on the Internet, it has some cons, like everything else, but they sure are surpassed by the pros.
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2015, 10:58:10 PM

There will always be setbacks in the midst of positive growth. The thing that scares me the most is too much growth at once. Sometimes too much growth in too short of time can cause everything to implode.

cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 12:20:39 AM

Im not scared, and I know it will be a succeed. All of the problems need to be addressed before it gets flooded with new people, such as the fork issue.
Lorenzo

Activity: 406

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 01:07:36 AM
Last edit: March 07, 2015, 01:49:38 AM by Lorenzo

This thread kind of reminds me of another thread that was posted a while back. In it, the OP expressed his concern that a future where Bitcoin succeeds might actually be rather bleak. I can't say that I agree with his views but it's an interesting (although rather long) read.

I think the definition for success is variable. For many bitcoins success means it becoming it's own stabilized currency not being pegged to another external fiat value. I would love to see bitcoin succeed but I don't think I am ready for something this drastic.

Bitcoin isn't pegged to the US dollar. It is traded against the dollar but then again, most, if not all, currencies today are traded against the dollar and other currencies too. What differentiates BTC from USD or GBP is that it isn't its own unit of account since we don't actually price things in BTC. Unfortunately, Bitcoin's price volatility means that we'll probably be pricing BTC in USD for a very long time.

Why would we be scared it will suceed? We should be scared that it wont and I think progress is severely going to be hampered by the reluctance of the general public to adopt it. I believe its use as a currency will grow over time but very slowly. And what do you mean by "setting up more "failed companies"". I think most bitcoin based companies don't get set up to fail unless they're a scam or something.

The success rate of companies involved in the Bitcoin industry isn't pretty. In addition to Mt. Gox, most Bitcoin and general crypto services that are more than a few years old have failed. Think of MyBitcoin, inputs.io, Bitcoinica, Bitfloor, etc. Some were scams, some were hacked, and others were shut down.

Not that bothered about vc's but I suppose they are a necessary evil for bitcoin's adoption.

I'm sure btc will succeed, whether or not it replaces $$$ is anybody's guess. One thing's for certain, the powers-that-be aren't going to give up their fiat system without a fight.

I was always surprised at how friendly the US and other governments of the world were, and still are, to Bitcoin. The government absolutely hated E-Gold which, like Bitcoin, was a payment system that positioned itself as being "electronic gold".

As far as I'm concerned every day the bitcoin network is online bitcoin has succeeded.

The Bitcoin network did encounter some significant problems early on though. Fortunately, whenever an issue appeared, it was quickly fixed after being discovered:

Quote from: Wikipedia
On 6 August 2010, a major vulnerability in the bitcoin protocol was spotted. Transactions weren't properly verified before they were included in the transaction log or "block chain" which let users bypass bitcoin's economic restrictions and create an indefinite number of bitcoins. On 15 August, the vulnerability was exploited; over 184 billion bitcoins were generated in a transaction, and sent to two addresses on the network. Within hours, the transaction was spotted and erased from the transaction log after the bug was fixed and the network forked to an updated version of the bitcoin protocol. This was the only major security flaw found and exploited in Bitcoin's history...

...On 12 March 2013, a bitcoin miner running version 0.8.0 of the bitcoin software created a large invalid block. This created a split or "fork" in the block chain since computers with the recent version of the software accepted the invalid block and continued to build on the diverging chain, whereas older versions of the software rejected it and continued extending the block chain without the offending block. This split resulted in two separate transaction logs being formed without clear consensus, which allowed for the same funds to be spent differently on each chain.

in certain sense you are right.

if Bitcoin succeeds some good things will disappear, like the relative anonymity and some easy ways of making money

Even if Bitcoin's market cap reaches hundreds of billions of dollars, people will still have the choice of mixing their coins or using Dark Wallet.
Eastfist

Activity: 210

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2015, 01:23:48 AM

It will have succeeded, for me anyway, when:

-Fully implemented
-Secure
-Customer-friendly, easy to use

So I'm not scared. I'd rather it succeed than fail, but I'm also realistic.
Monetizer

Activity: 812

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 01:31:24 AM

-Fully implemented
-Secure

What do you consider to be fully implemented though?
Eastfist

Activity: 210

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2015, 01:42:22 AM

-Fully implemented
-Secure

What do you consider to be fully implemented though?

I don't know yet. I'll just keep an eye on how things go for now.
Slaxt

Activity: 476

Gone......

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 02:21:17 AM

Are you "scared" that Bitcoin might actually succeed? Am i scared of potential freedom? No i am not scared of either it is time people become their own banks and become brave stepping into the unknown Smiley

TC is the worse thing to happen to default, needs to open his eyes and not jump to conclusions, not everyone lies!!! Anyway as promised I have left, pass word changed to long random which I will forget like that plonker who ruined a perfectly fine account.
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1373

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 03:31:13 AM

Attack On Arizona's Internet Was the Beta Test for the Implementation of Martial Law

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/attack-on-arizonas-internet-was-the-beta-test-for-the-implementation-of-martial-law_03012015

The very first reports I received about the outage, coming out of Wickenburg and Prescott, was that the ISP from Century Link went down because a car crashed into a transformer. Shortly after that, reports stated that a construction crew hit a power line causing Internet service to go down. From the Phoenix media, we now know that this was the work of “vandals” who discovered where cables, buried several feet underground, were located in the midst of rough terrain. These “vandals” subsequently cut through the Internet cables which were inches to a foot thick and this was the cause of this massive outage.

The Key Word of the Day Is “Vandals”

The media has been very uniform in describing this act as the work of “vandals”.

Independent Channel 3 referred to the outage as the work of  “vandals”.
    Phoenix CBS Channel 5 also used the word “vandals”.
    Phoenix Fox News, Channel 10, described this as the work of “vandals”.
    Phoenix NBC, Channel 12, said this Internet take down was perpetrated by “vandals”.
    Phoenix ABC, Channel 15, also used the word “vandals”.
    AZ Central, the website for the Arizona Republic used the word “vandals” to describe the origin of the attack.
    Even the BBC and Russia Today used the word “vandals”.

For those of us that have covered events such as this, we can often smell a cover-up when we see the repetitive use of a key word or phrase. In this case, the key word is “vandals”.

So, let's look forward to Bitcoin as a winner. But, let's also, get practical as preppers.

Smiley

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, methylene blue, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/.
worth

Activity: 558
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 05:26:59 AM

Are you "scared" that Bitcoin might actually succeed?

No.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 06:01:00 AM

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet:

http://lifeboat.com/blog/2013/04/bitcoins-dystopian-future

(author: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=3313 )

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
BootstrapCoinDev

Activity: 154

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 01:39:02 PM

Bitcoin is a horrible money transmitter if low transaction fees would ever become a real threat to the banking sector, banks would simply lower their fees to match, and find other ways to make money off of you. If Bitcoin becomes an significant part of the economy the need for extreme decentralization will be less. In such a situation the government cannot attack Bitcoin anymore without harming the economy.
josef2000

Activity: 280

Bro, you need to try http://dadice.com

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2015, 02:04:42 PM

Why should I be scared? If it succeed I will be happy instead.
It is an success already, but not everyone knows it(like the internet back then)

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█   ⚂⚄⚀⚃⚅⚁    ██  d a d i c e  ██    Next Generation Dice Game
• Low 1% house edge. • Provably Fair.  
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: