Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:15:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: AltSheets AltFolio = AltCoin PortFolio - auto-updating spreadsheet & dataserver  (Read 19050 times)
Hubus

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 08:24:42 PM

Thank you for the link!

...I mean for the link.

...for this link: lmgtfy  Cheesy  Grin !

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
altsheets (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 902
Merit: 1001

Free trial of #AltFolio = save time, react faster

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2015, 08:53:30 PM

Grin

AltFolio = Altcoin Portfolio solution || AAsset = crowdfunding, dividends paying = profit sharing Assets on NXT || Newbium great new platform || AssetGraphs = novel GUI to assets & shareholders (won nxthacks2015!) || ABEE = Block Explorer Extension for ETH clones, live on SOIL || Advice = Consulting || assetparser.py and shareholders.py - tools for NXT/HZ asset buyers & issuers || bamm.py || PeerCrawler || PGP || Texts || Github e.g. ChainCountDown, ethjsre |||| /give/ GiveBackLicense /give/ |||| Looking for an affordable crypto advertisement service with adspaces on crypto-attractive websites, contact me, thx.
altsheets (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2015, 01:56:45 PM

Altfolio description - sentences for press releases, etc.

The GUI frontend of the ‘AltFolio’ software is a GoogleSheet, so experienced spreadsheet users have full control, and can adapt everything to their needs! For beginners, it is intuitively colored so you hardly need any manual - and some 500 lines of Google AppsScript give it extra functionality. The many automatic cells make it so useful, and the updates come from a dedicated  data server - that backend consists of 3000 lines of Python code, which concurrently collects and caches from 9 data sources, including bittrex, and poloniex. And coinmarketcap - which shows me immediately if something dramatic happened to one of my coins in the past hour and week.

AltFolio = Altcoin Portfolio solution || AAsset = crowdfunding, dividends paying = profit sharing Assets on NXT || Newbium great new platform || AssetGraphs = novel GUI to assets & shareholders (won nxthacks2015!) || ABEE = Block Explorer Extension for ETH clones, live on SOIL || Advice = Consulting || assetparser.py and shareholders.py - tools for NXT/HZ asset buyers & issuers || bamm.py || PeerCrawler || PGP || Texts || Github e.g. ChainCountDown, ethjsre |||| /give/ GiveBackLicense /give/ |||| Looking for an affordable crypto advertisement service with adspaces on crypto-attractive websites, contact me, thx.
altsheets (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2015, 02:06:53 PM
Last edit: April 04, 2015, 05:05:40 PM by altsheets

AltSheets structure, definitions, and names

I was told my endeavour is "progressive as fuck".
Already too complex, or a bit confusing?

Perhaps it is time to define my 4 new words:

... AltSheets = Altcoin Spreadsheets - a software family:
... ... AltFolio - the auto-updated portfolio tracker
... ... assetparser.py - the HZ&Nxt asset market blockchain parser in Python

... AAssetHZ - my AltSheets asset shares, on HZ

-->

AltSheets
* a software family
* to ease the life of altcoin and altasset traders
* --> AltSheets AltFolio,
* --> AltSheets assetparser, and the resulting --> asset market overview study ...

AltFolio
* is the altcoin portfolio overview sheet
* the software you are invited to try now for free.
* can be bought as a month/quarterly/yearly licensed “Software-as-a-service”.
* with GoogleSheet frontend, and 500 lines of GoogleAppsScript to add functionality
* and data server backend in 3000 lines of Python, which manages fast, concurrent access to 9 data sources
* more info: read this thread here "AltFolio - price-updated ALTcoin PortFOLIO Overview"

assetparser.py
* an analyzer for HZ and NXT asset markets
* compares 107 HZ assets, and 488 NXT assets with each other
* in 28 observables, mostly statistical
* is written in Python, accessing the node API, to parse the blockchain data of the past
* the program output can be bought (107x27 and 488x28 cells big spreadsheets), and the program sourcecode can be bought
* more info in its own thread assetparser.py
* was originally just meant to explain me more about the asset market when I designed:

AAssetHZ
* the profit sharing, dividends paying, tradeable ... asset shares
* with which I sell 5% (five percent) of all future AltSheets profits
* buy them on HoriZon Platform now
* second largest volume among all HZ assets!
* more info in its own thread "[ANN][AAssetHZ] AltSheets Asset on HoriZon - software profits dividends",
* and in "How to buy an asset on HorizonPlatform.io (HZ)"

Any questions - please ask!

altsheets (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2015, 03:49:46 AM

Logo & Banners & Colors & Font - Competition ?

See the above "structure" text - a whole set of (icon-like?) objects would be nice.

But first: Please help me to understand this whole topic better.

Have you observed many? (because myself I kind of ignored logo competitions in the past).
Which such competition worked really well, in the recent past? Why do you think that is?

What is the order of magnitude for a prize that is attractive enough to get seriously talented designers to participate?
(And how much if I can only afford a 90% solution - for now?)

N.B.: This competition has NOT started yet. I always need time to think, and listen, and research. As an example, see my asset thread - it took from #1(March 08, 2015) to #41 (March 28, 2015) to launch AAssetHZ ! Also ... it could save me time (a scarce resource right now) to simply work together with ONE designer. So if you know someone, please point her/him to me ...

altsheets (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2015, 03:39:47 PM

Much appreciated feedback of a knowledgeable user
N.B.: The larger size headings are not really part of the answer,
but rather a way to structure this long text better, for other readers.

Hey Hubus,
I finally find the time to go through your suggestions. Crazy times, since the launch. So much, and so different things to do.

> I had a look at your Altsheets Sheet.
Thanks a lot. Much appreciated. Every idea is welcome!

Spreadsheets

> Personally, I like spreadsheets (Excel) - like you.
Yes. Especially chaining of operations is so easy. Complex calculations can be broken down. And once formulas are defined, applied to whole columns. Spreadsheets are great!

Then when I decided to split my program into frontend, and Python backend - I made it even more useful. A lot of previous problems were suddenly solvable.

By the way, only a small part is visible to you users. Much of the intelligence lives in the Python backend now. It has become a powerful architecture. I like this short text that explains it well.

Frontend

What am I talking about when I say "frontend"?  Please open
AltFolio ... Menu ... Tools ... Script Editor ... altsheets-scripts.gs

To me, 'frontend' is the visible spreadsheet including the GS (GoogleappsScript) that is extending its functions.

Make your own mod

> So for me it's good to have this as a spreadsheet.
Feel free to re-arrange, and extend and expand it.

Would love to see which mods will come up.
One other mod already exists, by the way.

> I would probably even like to customize it for my taste,
Exactly.
Please do so.

> which might be difficult if you want to protect your program.
Not at all. Go ahead.
You work in your copy anyways.

And really cool ideas could be reinserted upstream
- and I will reward you for it!

The protection comes with the data server authentication.
Plus expecting a minimum of morals from my customers, of course ;-)

Excel port?  LibreOffice port?

> On the other hand, it should be possible
> to link my own spreadsheets to yours
Sounds interesting.

> (if it would be in Excel).
Two ways:

Either you import your existing sheets into GoogleSheets (if they are script-less then super-easy, automatic import for most of the Excel functions),

... or start building that portation to Excel.

An Excel version is already on my long list of ideas for the future (but not with high priority). One day, I might do it myself: Learn VBA, and do an Excel version of the frontend. Or probably it then won't be Excel, but LibreOffice/OpenOffice due to its different license - and of course it also has a scripting language.

However, as the data server backend is an online resource, I see not a huge advantage in building an offline version of the frontend. So why not Googlesheets?

I'd like your opinion on that.

Several frontends

>  I don't know if a local Excel version of this would be possible, but I would like it.
Of course it would be. Possible.
I simply took a decision early, to go for the online, GoogleSheets version.

But different frontends are possible. For sure.

For example, I have another quick'n'dirty hack as a completely different frontend - still only for myself, because it is slightly more complex to use.
Have you installed Python 2.7 ?  Then I could let you try it ...

Easy to use

> On the other hand, I think for a broader public,
Never to forget about them, I have to

(Yoda speak :-) )

> a spreadsheet version might be to complicated
If that turns out to be the case, I will make a altfolio-for-dummies version :-)

But let us first try this more advanced technology ... hoping for some tech literacy - just because it is so damn useful.

> and leading to errors
The good thing about googlesheets is the eternal rollback. With
  Menu ... File ... see revision history ...
you just hop to a version in your own past, which still worked.

Solved.

> (look at your "many" instructions,
Yes.

For a quickstart you really only have to stay to the one-liner rule:

--> Only ever edit the orange and yellow cells <--

If you stick to that, _most_ problems can be avoided.

But not all, I agree.

I made videos, too. You only have to see them once, less than 10 minutes.

Clever software for clever users

> where the user has to find and input his changes freely.
Yes, flexibility comes with (the disadvantage of) choice.

> I think this is only possible, if the user already knows spreadsheets.
We have just had a case in which an spreadsheet newbie -quickly- went all the way, and he is enthusiastic about the power of (a) my programm, and (b) spreadsheets in general.

> For a good-selling program, probably a standalone version would be best.
Not impossible to do, yes.
But then you have 3 different operating systems, etc.  
It would probably better become a webpage as a frontend.

For my taste, however, the whole concept would loose an essential part of its beauty.
I had been using static solutions, and didn't like them. That's why I built AltFolio.

Perhaps ... I make software for intelligent people?

And: Look at the cryptocurrency scene  - even after 5 years, the majority still has a higher tech literacy than the average population.

Scripts

> I can write some Excel makros (programs),
Superb.

Then please do have a look at the frontend GoogleScript code.

Perhaps you feel like porting it?

> so it might be possible to hide even more of your formulas
> from the screen and automate some of the inputs.
I am really open to suggestions.

> Well, it seems to be possible with these scripts ("Altsheets Functions"), too.
Yep.

> I should learn this, what kind of script is this, is it included in Google Sheets?
Yep.

See above.

GUI

>  You could form a more graphical user interface for the commands and inputs, maybe.

Unfortunately "buttons" are (still) implemented in a really stupid way, in this evolution step of GS.

They are graphics objects, have to be created (and linked to functions) manually, and (seemingly) do not get an addressable identity. *meh* GS is primitive.

If I had found a better way to create, show (and hide!) buttons, then I would have built a functions panel - instead of that slightly off menu.

But Google is a fast moving company, and when they upgrade their GS, I can do more such things.

Buy at different prices

> More improvement ideas:
Super, thanks!

> 1) Often, one buys the same currency at different times and prices.
Yes. Me. Often.

> So far, the only solution with your spreadsheet seems to be to add another row.
No no no. Please don't :-)

Simply combine all purchases,
into one average buy price,
and a total sum of coins.

> But then the currency is displayed separately.
> It's ok, but would be better, if all different buys
> in the same currency could be added and summed up to one total.
Yes.

> Maybe you should think of such a function for later.
> A heavy trader won't only make one buy for one price.
Sure.

I often have several consecutive buys at different prices.

The current workaround is the little handy "Combined purchases calculator" below the main table.

What you want is to divide the total BTC expenses by total purchased coins, to get an average buy price.

Any idea to improve usability more - happy to hear!
I want to reduce the "number of necessary clicks and keyboard presses" more.

> And a light trader probably doesn't need a software
> to keep his few things under control.
AltFolio actually allows a "light trader" to do one careful step towards becoming a "heavy trader", by having more different coins in overview than before.

BTC vs fiat

> 2) If you don't want to play and don't want to loose money,
> I think you would be more interested in the value in US $ or,
> in my case, in Euros €, especially as the Bitcoin is so volatile.
That's what the one column "balance in USD" is for.
I often look at it, just to get a feeling how "important" that coin is, and not to care too much about 4 dollars worth of (what-turned-out-to-be-)shitcoins :-)

My intuition still needs fiat value, sometimes.

> So you really only know if you made a plus or minus,
> if you take the price of the Bitcoin itself into account!
Not sure that I agree with that.

Because I trade my altcoins often, but
bitcoin-fiat only really really seldom.

Or do you really do the (HZ --> BTC --> EUR --> BTC --> HZ) conversions for each and every hickup of the BTC price?

My altcoin trading is a way to increase my BTC total.
And in a good moment I trade BTC for fiat then.

In my first months with cryptos I was always converting everything to Euros; I don't do that anymore.
REAL money is bitcoins, Euros are just fiatmoney :-)

> Of course, the Bitcoin is an important denominator for the altcoins,
> but to see if you really made a plus or minus with your altcoins
> (and Bitcoins), you need to relate it to a fiat money like $ or  €.

What about this:

You introduce extra columns into your own copy,
and try out the best ways to represent that.

You can simply use the cell P3 (bitstamp USD/BTC)
to multiply everything, to get dollar values.

Please first start with dollars.

Then in my next backend upgrade, I build you a EUR/BTC data "askServer" function.

What about that plan?

N.B.: When you insert colums, some of the extra-menu-functionality
will break, for a moment, until you also fix the column numbers and
names in lines 17-56 of the GS code.
Please make a comment, to find your changes more easily later.

future version: Euros!

> 3) If this is too much,
> I would at least like it,
> if it would be possible to choose
> Euros besides Dollars for the balance column.

good idea.

It's on the TODO list now.

For now:
USD/EUR is almost at parity.
Just subtract one tenth from everything, and you have the Euro value.

Thank you very very much!

> Ok, I don't know if my comments are already worth 3 % of your profits,
:-)

Your comments are  ... invaluable.

But why do you say 3%?

>  but at least I earned a serial key prolongation... ;-) ?

Of course you do. Definitely.

I have just prolonged it once more. try menu ... "serial key server answer refresh".

Thank you soooooooo much. Be sure: All of your ideas, and suggestions have been heard, and some are already on the list for future versions of the software. Thank you for your attention!

Please keep on using, and help improving it!

Happy Easter!

Hubus

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 03:01:51 PM

Hello,

thank you for your answers! As usual, time is a scarce resource, so I don't know if and when I can answer more or even try to make my own version of your spreadsheet - usually, that's why people just want to buy a fully functional version and be lazy themselves!  Grin

The protection comes with the data server authentication.
Plus expecting a minimum of morals from my customers, of course ;-)

Hey, we are in THE INTERNET here!  Shocked

> (if it would be in Excel).
Two ways:

An Excel version is already on my long list of ideas for the future (but not with high priority).

However, as the data server backend is an online resource, I see not a huge advantage in building an offline version of the frontend. So why not Googlesheets?

I am from old times, I always prefer local versions. And so far, everything through the browser takes more computer resources, more time and more steps and more open windows and confusion, as far as I see it (and I don't have a super new computer).

>  I don't know if a local Excel version of this would be possible, but I would like it.
Of course it would be. Possible.

> I can write some Excel makros (programs),
Superb.

Then please do have a look at the frontend GoogleScript code.

Perhaps you feel like porting it?

Have you installed Python 2.7 ?  Then I could let you try it ...

Excel would be interesting, I would like to try a portation, but that would probably cost too much time for me... I don't have Python, but will have a look at it.

Perhaps ... I make software for intelligent people?

Maybe, but if they are too intelligent, they might not buy your software but do everything on their own?
> I should learn this, what kind of script is this, is it included in Google Sheets?

> 1) Often, one buys the same currency at different times and prices.
Yes. Me. Often.

> So far, the only solution with your spreadsheet seems to be to add another row.
No no no. Please don't :-)

Simply combine all purchases,
into one average buy price,
and a total sum of coins.

The current workaround is the little handy "Combined purchases calculator" below the main table.

What you want is to divide the total BTC expenses by total purchased coins, to get an average buy price.

But I thought, the software should save me from work and from calculating everything on my own. If I have to do this in Excel first and then export the results to your google spreadheet, I have to do so many steps by myself and on two different platforms. Then I might not use your software but do everything in my Excel spreadsheet.

> 2) If you don't want to play and don't want to loose money,
> I think you would be more interested in the value in US $ or,
> in my case, in Euros €, especially as the Bitcoin is so volatile.
That's what the one column "balance in USD" is for.

My intuition still needs fiat value, sometimes.

That is only half of the problem and it's not only about intuition, it is really necessary if you want to calculate profits.

Or do you really do the (HZ --> BTC --> EUR --> BTC --> HZ) conversions for each and every hickup of the BTC price?

If you really don't want to loose money and if you trade seriously, it's absolutely necessary and important, as the bitcoin price does not only "hickup", but does a lot more, possibly changing by 20 % on a single day, and much, much more in two weeks! That's not a hickup, that's changing from rocket high to vomiting and sick...!

And it is a problem of the altcoins, which I would really like to look at: They change when the BTC price changes - but not in the same and predictable and clearly linear manner! They are neither independent from the BTC nor completely dependend - this is very interesting for a trader!

In my first months with cryptos I was always converting everything to Euros; I don't do that anymore.
REAL money is bitcoins, Euros are just fiatmoney :-)

So you buy everything you need with BTC? I don't believe you...  Tongue

What about this:

You introduce extra columns into your own copy,
and try out the best ways to represent that.

You can simply use the cell P3 (bitstamp USD/BTC)
to multiply everything, to get dollar values.

N.B.: When you insert colums, some of the extra-menu-functionality
will break, for a moment, until you also fix the column numbers and
names in lines 17-56 of the GS code.
Please make a comment, to find your changes more easily later.

I'll try. Maybe. If I find the time.

> Ok, I don't know if my comments are already worth 3 % of your profits,

Your comments are  ... invaluable.

But why do you say 3%?

You wrote it somewhere, I don't recall where it was now.

I have just prolonged it once more. try menu ... "serial key server answer refresh".

Thank you very much! It's important for me, as I don't look at it every day...!
Hubus

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 03:07:06 PM

P.S.: I just saw that the assets seem to have an abbreviation/symbol like the coins (e.g. the asset Supernet has the symbol "UNITY").
Yes, and I have just done this here for you:
Code:
$MINE, $MINEW, $MINEZ, 10K,......... ZIRK, ZRC, ZS
All these should be accepted - by the coinmarketcap columns generator. I have not compared them yet against all 51 assets that CMC is supporting - are they all in there?

I tried today to insert the Asset Abbreviation, but your sheet has to fetch the data from some server!? So far, I found only the exchanges (like Bittrex, cryptsy etc.) in column M, but they don't have any assets, so where do you get these values? Or is it still something planned?
altsheets (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2015, 04:11:00 PM

P.S.: I just saw that the assets seem to have an abbreviation/symbol like the coins (e.g. the asset Supernet has the symbol "UNITY").
Yes, and I have just done this here for you:
Code:
$MINE, $MINEW, $MINEZ, 10K,......... ZIRK, ZRC, ZS
All these should be accepted - by the coinmarketcap columns generator. I have not compared them yet against all 51 assets that CMC is supporting - are they all in there?
I tried today to insert the Asset Abbreviation,
Thanks a lot!

Which ones have you tried?
With which results?

but your sheet has to fetch the data from some server!?
No, it makes up an answer on the basis of random function :-) Just a joke.

Correct is:
Your sheet-copy compiles the questions column-wise,
then when you press "update" ... asks my data server,
which in turn asks the data sources (*) - all async/concurrently;
and then the data sources provide the answers. Usually.
All is cached, and sent back to your sheet.
Then you decide to sell or buy :-)

I have implemented dedicated API access routines for (*) 8 exchanges (bittrex, poloniex, ccex, ...), plus coinmarketcap.com .

More is possible easily - I just have to find the time. You buying the software allows me to prioritize extending it along your wishes.

So far, I found only the exchanges (like Bittrex, cryptsy etc.) in column M, but they don't have any assets,
correct.

They have VERY few assets yet, and implemented them like coins.

The news about this type of cryptoassets is actually ... that they live on the blockchain, and they are traded in DISTRIBUTED asset exchanges. No need for mtgox, mintpal, poloniex, allcoin ... and all the other places that already got/robbed our coins in the past.

so where do you get these values?
I will build a similar gateway between my dataserver, and a HZ / Nxt node, to fetch asset prices. Thinking is being done - See the design questions in this thread.

Or is it still something planned?

Y

-->

AltFolio - possible extension: Asset prices
Yes, for sure, asset inclusion is definitely planned for one of the next versions.

but already:

Code:
... ZEIT, ZET, ZIRK, ZRC, ZS
All these should be accepted - by the coinmarketcap columns generator.

Thanks a lot for your long answer above. Will get to it.

Enjoy your weekend!

Hubus

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 06:12:14 PM

If you really don't want to loose money and if you trade seriously, it's absolutely necessary and important, as the bitcoin price does not only "hickup", but does a lot more, possibly changing by 20 % on a single day, and much, much more in two weeks! That's not a hickup, that's changing from rocket high to vomiting and sick...!

And it is a problem of the altcoins, which I would really like to look at: They change when the BTC price changes - but not in the same and predictable and clearly linear manner! They are neither independent from the BTC nor completely dependend - this is very interesting for a trader!

... I could have edited my answer, but I think it's more clear to add something here:

If we want to calculate the "real" values, it is not necessarily the price of the EUR, BTC and HZ triplett at a given timestamp. Unfortunately, the calculation cannot be completely automated, as we don't buy the BTC with Euros at the same time as we buy the HZ with Bitcoins. Usually, you buy some amount of BTC at an individual time before you convert your BTC into HZ. And then, if we convert this back to Euros, we also do this at two different times and perhaps not with equivalent amounts.

So if I really want to calculate my profits/losses in the right way (and if you want to relate to fiat currency and not to BTC for this), I would have to note my personal EUR/BTC exchange price and amount manually, and then again the BTC/HZ price. And if I exchange EUR/BTC not a single time, but more often (which is normal), I even have to note from which BTC tranche I have bought which HZ tranche!

So it might be too complicated, but it would be the only accurate way to calculate my profits/losses (in EUR)!

(I think it would also be interesting for tax calculation, if you assume that you do everything accurate and legally...!  Grin )
altsheets (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2015, 08:17:33 PM
Last edit: April 11, 2015, 08:38:49 PM by altsheets

Good thinking. You are completely right, for tax accuracy, another approach would have to be taken. All exact transactions that actually happened need to be taken into account, preferably directly downloaded from all 539 blockchains of all currencies. And for the exchanges (which is partly hidden data!) complex mixtures of them have to be manually input. E.g.:

I bought some BTC at 600 USD which I still had been lying around, and combine that with some new bitcoin which I got cheap for 180 USD and some to the day price of 237USD; then use 93% of the whole lot to buy some HZ at 101 Satoshi, and 94 Satoshi - and after buying and selling some assets on HZ (of which I actually keep 43% into the next tax year) ... I do the whole thing in reverse, but at 120 and 117 Satoshi per HZ - and can unfortunately sell my BTC only at 234 USD now - but I need the fiat so I have to.  

A very realistic example of what could really happen. And when future tax officers (or their bots) then discover on the blockchain that I had bought those third bitcoin 17 seconds later - and then the exchange rate was actually 1.2% lower ... they will put a chain to my feet, and I have to live on water and bread for a while Wink

My program is not intended to solve that.

Instead, AltFolio informs me -to its best knowledge- about the here and now. With the goal of looking into the future.

So that I can base my buy and sell decisions on real data. Without going to 5 different websites, loosing time for nothing.
... now I only check the price charts of those coins which have recently moved. <-- that, to me, is its greatest advantage.

But I agree, for Prussian accuracy Tongue, it will always be only an approximation of the situation.

> from which BTC tranche I have bought which HZ tranche!
Due to the property of fungibility of currencies ... that is not necessary.
Imagine a trip to the US: Which 10 dollar note will you take out of your pocket when you buy a Veggieburger? The note which you got for 9 Euros - or the one which you bought for 8.50 Euros last year?

All we need to do is calculate a new average buy price.

> want to relate to fiat currency
Try to implement your ideas about conversion into the different currencies - or into those that you favor most. It's easy. My choice of a GoogleSheet frontend has the immense advantage that you can make your own mod of the frontend. And you know your Excel well - so it should be easy for you. Have fun with it! :-)

altsheets (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2015, 08:24:16 PM
Last edit: April 12, 2015, 10:10:20 PM by altsheets

Now all essential information can be found starting from this one place:

http://AltSheets.ddns.net

I have up'ped my webpage
- to the degree that my mediocre design abilities allow Smiley

But the main goal is to provide answers.
Have I succeeded?

(... wondering how a LOGO will look like
- until then I am using the old placeholder ...
but upgraded the logo with amazing CRAVE results Wink )

Hubus

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 10:26:14 AM

A very realistic example of what could really happen. And when future tax officers (or their bots) then discover on the blockchain that I had bought those third bitcoin 17 seconds later - and then the exchange rate was actually 1.2% lower ... they will put a chain to my feet, and I have to live on water and bread for a while Wink

Either that or worse! Spending all my time with arguing with them, filling in forms, calculating and trying to prove that I did not make a few cents more than they think... and I thought Altsheets could save my from this  Cry !

At least, one should try to have some kind of "before & after" pools to see if the money got more or less.

With the goal of looking into the future.

How's that?

> from which BTC tranche I have bought which HZ tranche!
Due to the property of fungibility of currencies ... that is not necessary.
Imagine a trip to the US: Which 10 dollar note will you take out of your pocket when you buy a Veggieburger? The note which you got for 9 Euros - or the one which you bought for 8.50 Euros last year?

All we need to do is calculate a new average buy price.

There, you are of course right! My thinking or explanation wasn't clear there  Tongue - but I had in mind, that you at least have to note all the tranches - otherwise you cannot calculate that average.

I still did not look at how to get this into your spreadsheet or if I have to calculate this separately in Excel, but for my taste, it would be good to have such an average calculation space directly in your sheet, maybe in a different table, but relating to your main table. As we have already discussed, also for different tranches of the same altcoin (bought at different BTC prices).

I like to work in a single file (and offline is still much faster on my computer). If we have to switch all the time between local and online, I will look for import/export possibilities from Googlesheets to Excel and vice versa.

Btw, Microsoft has an online version of Excel, now, too. Will look at that, too, but as far as I tried it, it is also unconvenient and slow compared to my "personal" Excel.
altsheets (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2015, 05:04:31 PM

it would be good to have such an average calculation space directly in your sheet,
Yes, I agree - combining purchases is still the most tedious part of using it.
The little "calculator" at the bottom has at least automatized the necessary calculations now.
It takes me less than a minute, to update my sheet when I have bought additional coins.
(And most of the time, I am just LOOKING at the sheet, to see if anything dramatic has happened.)

But I agree, in this version there is still some considerable number of clicks and copy-paste operations, that can be reduced ... in future versions.

Thanks for insisting, by the way, that made me think about it longer - I think I came up with an idea how that might be solved more elegantly than now. Will try in a future update of the frontend. Until then: Semi-automatic, manual copy-pasting :-)

By the way:
The far future could also have an option for APIkey&secret input (needs more trust, though),
and direct import from all (8!) exchanges. That would automatize this step completely.

But to be able to implement all that ... I would need additional funding first.
Which will happen. This is a long distance endeavour ;-)

Excel
An OpenOffice/LibreOffice portation of the frontend, I could imagine. Not now, rather mid-future.

But the longer I think about it - the less likely I will invest myself into a (completely proprietary) Excel+VBA portation.

But you speak VBA, right?

Hubus

View Profile
April 14, 2015, 08:15:52 AM
Last edit: April 14, 2015, 08:31:57 AM by Hubus

The little "calculator" at the bottom has at least automatized the necessary calculations now.

It takes me less than a minute, to update my sheet when I have bought additional coins.

Ah, I see, if I understood it right, you keep an old value in the upper row, and each time you buy some new, you insert it into the lower row and then take the result as the new old value?

By the way:
The far future could also have an option for APIkey&secret input (needs more trust, though),
and direct import from all (8!) exchanges. That would automatize this step completely.

I am not sure if I understood everything. Would that give the user full control over your sheet? I like that, but on the other hand, that will take away your last protection if you want to sell anything. Then you are dependent on good will, probably like selling shareware on a voluntary paying basis?

Excel
An OpenOffice/LibreOffice portation of the frontend, I could imagine. Not now, rather mid-future.

Yeah, while looking at all this new Microsoft monthly paying and online Office shit, I also begin to think slowly about changing one day, maybe. On the other hand, the old versions of Office I already own, have all (maybe more) core functionality - concerning the functions I usually I need - than the new versions and I am not sure if I need new versions at all. It might only be a compatibility/communication problem, when I am the last person who is using this (good) old software.

But the longer I think about it - the less likely I will invest myself into a (completely proprietary) Excel+VBA portation.

But you speak VBA, right?

I am not a 100 % professional in VBA, but did some things a while ago and might learn more (especially as the help functions in this system are very nice and useful, I don't know if this is the same in OpenOffice) - the only thing which would currently be missing in my knowledge to build an Excel-clone of your sheet are probably things like those web queries, and licence keys and such things.

And as I said: I use old versions. I can only recommend to get them for a cheap price, it should be allowed to do business with the "Office Professional" versions, shouldn't it? But people always want new things, even if they are made more dependent and even if functions are reduced...

P.S.: The REAL thing would be to build some kind of HZ wallet wich has the functions of your sheet. OK, a sheet always has advantages, but maybe if you use the core functions and add an export (.csv) function, for example... What programming language is used to build those wallets? Java? (I told you to have a look at the SuperNet NXT wallet, it has some interesting etended functions in terms of asset administration, dividends, polls and decentralized exchange. I hope the HZ exchange - it's available as asset, too - will soon be realized).

Also, the BURST wallet, has an "AT automated transactions" function in which you can add code. Problem is, I do not understand all this yet, what kind of code has to be inserted there?
altsheets (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2015, 04:47:24 PM

Ah, I see, if I understood it right, you keep an old value in the upper row, and each time you buy some new, you insert it into the lower row and then take the result as the new old value?

yes, that's how it works:

... because you want to input the new altcoin total (here 13.00), and the new average buy price (here 0.03846).

And with Ctrl-Shift-V you can paste the values only (keyboard-shortcut for: Edit ... paste special ... paste values only)

By the way:
I am not sure if I understood everything. Would that give the user full control over your sheet?
No, different story, completely different. The other way around - it would give me some control, over their trading account.

Have a look at e.g. https://poloniex.com/apiKeys = the way to get information about your trading account at poloniex.

The huge advantage for our question:  If you give me your poloniex API key & secret, I can get your current coin balances
--> import them into AltFolio.future.version, all done fully automatic. Coin balances would update as soon as you buy or sell coins.

(needs more trust, though)
I mentioned trust because altFolio.future.version users would have to trust me with their API key & secret.

At the moment there is no conceivable way that I could do real harm to my AltFolio users
- but for such an automated access to their trading accounts, my users would have to trust me more ... than is necessary now.

P.S.: The REAL thing would be to build some kind of HZ wallet wich has the functions of your sheet. ... What programming language is used to build those wallets? Java?
Yes, the HZ backend is Java, the HZ frontend is HTML+Javascript.
Other wallets (e.g. bitcoin, and all of its clones, like DOGE, and SDC etc.) are done in C++.

Also, the BURST wallet, has an "AT automated transactions" function in which you can add code. Problem is, I do not understand all this yet, what kind of code has to be inserted there?
No idea. Just googled a bit. At first glance, screenshots of BURST look like just-another-Nxt-clone. Ask them in their thread, I'd suggest.

(I told you to have a look at the SuperNet NXT wallet, it has some interesting etended functions in terms of asset administration, dividends, polls and decentralized exchange.
Yes. Had no chance to look at it, yet.  But thx for the hint! Hope to find time for it ...

Cheesy

altsheets (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2015, 04:53:24 PM
Last edit: April 15, 2015, 07:32:33 PM by altsheets

MJcoins special - screenshot

Which MJcoins will pump for 420 - what is your guess?

Above is data of an "ideal buying" scenario,
in which I assume a trading genius would have correctly guessed
the (recent) bottom of each of the 7 MJcoins,
and then bought 0.1 BTC each, at that lowest price.
That is why all are in the plus now, in this picture.

April 20th is in 6 days - so what is your guess:
Will any of these go up? Which one?
Who of you is trying to score?

Disclaimer: I am not saying it will happen - I am just asking whether it might happen

---

EDIT: This is based on the observation that all 7 MJcoins pumped shortly before 20/10/2014, and some around 20/4/2014. But also see this posting.

Hubus

View Profile
April 15, 2015, 08:06:48 AM

Thank you again for the explanations, very interesting to learn about these things!

But something shocked me:

By the way:

I am not sure if I understood everything. Would that give the user full control over your sheet?
No, different story, completely different. The other way around - it would give me some control, over their trading account.

Have a look at e.g. https://poloniex.com/apiKeys = the way to get information about your trading account at poloniex.

The huge advantage for our question:  If you give me your poloniex API key & secret, I can get your current coin balances
--> import them into AltFolio.future.version, all done fully automatic. Coin balances would update as soon as you buy or sell coins.

I mentioned trust because altFolio.future.version users would have to trust me with their API key & secret.

At the moment there is no conceivable way that I could do real harm to my AltFolio users
- but for such an automated access to their trading accounts, my users would have to trust me more ... than is necessary now.

Did I get it right? Would this give you COMPLETE CONTROL over the user's account, meaning you could withdraw coins from there?

If this is the case, I have to tell you, this idea is completely unrealistic! I would never do this and never recommend this to anyone - on the contrary! Such level of trust might exist within a family, or between best friends or a couple. Or in a company between the owner and only the highest financial or IT security executives, and even then it would be secured by some mechanisms and contracts, and the people know each other personally, see them every day, know their addresses etc. No way such a thing would be possible with your software. Well, if you find someone who does it, I might call that person crazy...

(I'm sorry, I am not saying that you are not trustworthy, but really, life experience, and even more: internet experience should have taught every reasonable and sane person that this is not adviseable.)
Hubus

View Profile
April 15, 2015, 08:13:13 AM

Which MJcoins will pump for 420 - what is your guess?

After reading about your suggestion, I now understood what "420" is. But in the history of the coins the 20th Oct. seems to be more significant. However, I would like to understand this as well, I did not find any hint on that.  Huh

...alas, October is a bit further away...  Wink
altsheets (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2015, 09:45:56 AM
Last edit: April 15, 2015, 10:24:20 AM by altsheets

Thank you again for the explanations, very interesting to learn about these things!
Yes, isn't it? Happy to tell.
I have been programming for a long time, but API access to data has revolutionized how I think about the internet.

But something shocked me:
By the way:
Did I get it right? Would this give you COMPLETE CONTROL over the user's account, meaning you could withdraw coins from there?

No.

Have a look:

If this is the case, I have to tell you, this idea is completely unrealistic! I would never do this and never recommend this to anyone - on the contrary! Such level of trust might exist within a family, or between best friends or a couple. Or in a company between the owner and only the highest financial or IT security executives, and even then it would be secured by some mechanisms and contracts, and the people know each other personally, see them every day, know their addresses etc. No way such a thing would be possible with your software. Well, if you find someone who does it, I might call that person crazy... (I'm sorry, I am not saying that you are not trustworthy, but really, life experience, and even more: internet experience should have taught every reasonable and sane person that this is not adviseable.)

All not relevant.

Again, and to be 100% clear: No. I would NOT get COMPLETE CONTROL over the user's account, e.g. including withdraw coins from there.

But your reaction is exactly what I meant - so we have a very good live example now.
Even if I would technically not be able to do what you suspected ... a user could immediately get panicky, paranoid, and run into a distrust spiral.

So the (huge!) advantage of fully automatic updates about all coin balances ... are weighed down by fear in less informed users.

But that is only one argument, not the full case.
I would still like to implement it into a far.future.version of AltFolio. Make it an optional gimmick.
But as it is a lot of work (it has to be done separately for each of the 8 exchanges) ... it's future music, anyways.

TL;DR: Just to be clear, for a quick readers:
PrivateAPI access is NOT part of the current AltFolio version.
Coin balances are updated manually.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: