Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 06:05:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What did theymos do with 200K?  (Read 10921 times)
micky123
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 12:25:01 PM

SMF sucks pretty bad for a forum of this size, and is not at all good enough. They make too many assumptions and don't give enough choices for certain things. Theymos fixed some things, this would be broken in any upgrade and would need to be done again.

No way to see all threads created by a user.

Can't watch a thread without posting in it, can't unwatch a thread without deleting your post (which doesn't always work). (fixed by theymos)

No way to add notes to a user that would be visible to mods, only admins.

Only admins can ban people (somewhat fixed by theymos).

No ban queue, we literally have a thread in the staff forum called banning where mods post to report bans.  

No way for non-admin mods to see current ban status (I can actually see big red warning text in a user's profile when they are banned, which is
handy and saves a lot of time, there's even a button to click on to take you to the ban where you can see reason and duration, I am amazed they got that right).

No way to ban multiple people at the same time, and bans are so slow it's painful, I almost want to stab myself. I have stuff to do and limited time here, just do it already sdaasdjasdjkliuodas. (partially fixed by theymos, but those are only for permanent bans).

Speaking of which, when you go to ban someone, better hope he hasn't been banned before, it will give you an error. Then you get to click on ban list, and go through page by page looking for the previous ban so you can see the reason and duration. Search? What's that? Get bent. Then modify the ban group (typically the username, I add a number) so it will go through and do it again. Then wait (see above).

No way to see previous bans of a user without poring over the banlist, which has no search.

No way to see deleted posts without using the forum search, or poring over the post history.

Want to see who locked or moved a thread? Sure just go check the modlog. There's even a search bar!!! But wait, it only searches by the moderator who took the action. No way to search the other fields, such as thread, user involved, date, etc. I honestly feel like I'm being trolled when I see that. Have fun looking through page after page (20 results per page, and there's a lot of pages).

Honestly I could go on and on and on...and on and on.

Wow, now that was a frustration fuelled post! I am now on-board. I really think we need the new software before bad bear blows up completely. He does not look to be a happy bear but more like his name suggests  Grin

KaChingCoinDev (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 12:27:29 PM

SMF sucks pretty bad for a forum of this size, and is not at all good enough. They make too many assumptions and don't give enough choices for certain things. Theymos fixed some things, this would be broken in any upgrade and would need to be done again.

No way to see all threads created by a user.

Can't watch a thread without posting in it, can't unwatch a thread without deleting your post (which doesn't always work). (fixed by theymos)

No way to add notes to a user that would be visible to mods, only admins.

Only admins can ban people (somewhat fixed by theymos).

No ban queue, we literally have a thread in the staff forum called banning where mods post to report bans.  

No way for non-admin mods to see current ban status (I can actually see big red warning text in a user's profile when they are banned, which is
handy and saves a lot of time, there's even a button to click on to take you to the ban where you can see reason and duration, I am amazed they got that right).

No way to ban multiple people at the same time, and bans are so slow it's painful, I almost want to stab myself. I have stuff to do and limited time here, just do it already sdaasdjasdjkliuodas. (partially fixed by theymos, but those are only for permanent bans).

Speaking of which, when you go to ban someone, better hope he hasn't been banned before, it will give you an error. Then you get to click on ban list, and go through page by page looking for the previous ban so you can see the reason and duration. Search? What's that? Get bent. Then modify the ban group (typically the username, I add a number) so it will go through and do it again. Then wait (see above).

No way to see previous bans of a user without poring over the banlist, which has no search.

No way to see deleted posts without using the forum search, or poring over the post history.

Want to see who locked or moved a thread? Sure just go check the modlog. There's even a search bar!!! But wait, it only searches by the moderator who took the action. No way to search the other fields, such as thread, user involved, date, etc. I honestly feel like I'm being trolled when I see that. Have fun looking through page after page (20 results per page, and there's a lot of pages).

Honestly I could go on and on and on...and on and on.

Wow, SMF does have quite a few problems!
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2015, 12:31:32 PM

Wrong. He is not obliged to spend the money on the forum. He can spend it however he wants, he can even shut down the forum.
The fact that he spent (is spending) so much money on the forum, shows what kind of person he really is.

Is that to me or him? Smiley

Quoting the discussion after that:

Holding and owning are two different things. The tresurers are basically holding the funds for theymos, they have no right to spend the funds while theymos because he owns the bitcoins can get the funds from the treasurers  anytime of his choosing.

Could you please read my post again? Thank you! Smiley

You said "privately". How is that private if it is public? He can get or he may get or he might get? It is not 100% sure than the persons who hold it will send to theymos when he asks?

P.S. Another thing, how is theymos owning them? It isn't his money even though he is admin and managing this forum.

-MZ

abyrnes81

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 01:05:52 PM

Holy crap... Over $1million for a website. I can't wait for this Smiley
This forum is going to be insane. How come the company charge that much?

It would be interesting if they update us with an alpha version, so we can test it and give a report here in the forum; or they can post here some screenshot of how it will be (I didn't find any screenshot).
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2015, 01:24:09 PM

How far away do we think the new forum software will be?

Slickage told they are at end. So I think it will be released soon(1-3 months). Smiley

He also said that for the last 4-6 months though.... Knowing the new forum software is going to "get rekt" my guide formatting I keep putting off gen 3.0 styling, but at some point I have to assume its 'never' coming.

Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2015, 01:28:01 PM

Holy crap... Over $1million for a website. I can't wait for this Smiley
This forum is going to be insane. How come the company charge that much?

It would be interesting if they update us with an alpha version, so we can test it and give a report here in the forum; or they can post here some screenshot of how it will be (I didn't find any screenshot).

It is old and changes may have happened in the time being:

preview:

Icon preview (they are vectors):

-MZ

Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2015, 03:12:28 PM

man are they reinventing the wheel? This forum (SMF) is free to use, why the hell would anyone spend that much money on new forum code? Why not donate it to smf and work with the devs there to make it better?
Obviously it has held up quite well for the last 5 years too; which seems like a pretty good testament to the code.

Yes, we are creating a completely new forum software to compete with SMF. SMF has a lot of issues, it just isn't suitable for our needs. As far as how much money it costs, I hope that it will be well worth it, but frankly, creating new forum software is pretty much the only thing that the donated coins are to be used for. What else do we need? Might as well go all out.

I agree 100%. The forum has a ton of coins and really does not need them.. go big or go home!
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 03:19:48 PM

I never expected that the inflation in software development is so heavy, maybe one day I will work as a programmer again  Grin Grin

Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 03:34:10 PM
Last edit: March 10, 2015, 03:48:13 PM by Gleb Gamow

We should keep it to ourselves lol. If we are spending 1.5 million I doubt we would want to give it for free or cheap to other people. Also it would make a bunch of clones and we want our forum to be OURS, and no copies anywhere else. I doubt we would be the best forum software in the world though...

If it really is that good it can be sold, not given for free.
Also it could be called "Bitcoin Forums" or something like that and give bitcoin more exposure.

There are several options here, I don't think keeping it for ourselves would be the best one.

Yes, I agree. Wouldn't it be great if the forum could end up making the 1.5 Million back by licensing out the software!

Problem! Funds were donated, hence non-profit.

EDIT: Saw that the above was addressed. Read the entire thread. I have faith, and all looks mmmkay, otherwise I would comment.
abyrnes81

Activity: 714

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 05:24:09 PM

Muhammed Zakir, thanks for the images. Can I ask you if there are present others images? I would like to know & see more about this new forum software.
tss

Activity: 742

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 06:11:18 PM

great to see things moving forward.  i can't wait to see what $1.5m gets these days in terms of software development.  i am expecting big things, even though most cool coding will only be useful to the mods.
CC23

Activity: 288

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 06:24:20 PM

Oh, I'm in another SMF forum where exactly this is an issue. Might one get their hands on this fix, somehow, please? Smiley
To be exact, we are wondering if there's a way to stop seeing a thread in "unreadreplies", like when someone posts in a thread which proceeds to degenerate into unending spam and trolling and keeps showing up although you don't want to see it anymore. If this is something else, never mind.

I will answer your Geology questions! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=864879
BCwinning

Activity: 770

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 10:13:42 PM

Oh, I'm in another SMF forum where exactly this is an issue. Might one get their hands on this fix, somehow, please? Smiley
To be exact, we are wondering if there's a way to stop seeing a thread in "unreadreplies", like when someone posts in a thread which proceeds to degenerate into unending spam and trolling and keeps showing up although you don't want to see it anymore. If this is something else, never mind.
have you checked github to see if that patch has been uploaded? Maybe the coder here, shared it with smf.

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2015, 10:22:50 PM

Wrong. He is not obliged to spend the money on the forum. He can spend it however he wants, he can even shut down the forum.
The fact that he spent (is spending) so much money on the forum, shows what kind of person he really is.

Is that to me or him? Smiley
Obviously I meant him, while using 'he', else I'd use 'you'.
I guess we will still have to wait, even though in the meantime accounts are at risk.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2015, 05:04:30 AM

have you checked github to see if that patch has been uploaded? Maybe the coder here, shared it with smf.

I think it was none other than theymos and I don't think he made a pull request. He is too busy for that!

-MZ

dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2015, 06:03:25 AM

Problem! Funds were donated, hence non-profit.

That's not how non profits work.

Enzyme

Activity: 420

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 06:39:25 AM

Can't wait for the new forum.

Hope it has a good BG and template like HackForums...
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 06:52:17 AM

Can't wait for the new forum.

Hope it has a good BG and template like HackForums...

That forum was never good...  Huh
AT101ET
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1348

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 10:06:02 AM

Templates are easily changeable. Anyway I disagree. From my experience with HackForums I definitely prefer this.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2015, 11:28:43 AM

No, that's exactly it. Show new replies to your posts is kind of useless because you have to post in a thread to make it show up there, and a lot of people are lurkers and don't have anything to say, they just want to be kept up to date on specific threads without going to a dozen different boards to find them. And then once it's there, there is no way to remove it. IIRC some people reported success by deleting their posts in that thread, but some didn't, but with how large some threads are it can be hard to find all your posts.

Theymos made the watchlist himself, mostly to get around this specific issue, it was causing lots of nonsense posts (I remember one particular user posted "hmm..." in every thread he was interested in). It has all the features of show new replies, also the watch and unwatch button, and watch boards.

Theymos handles the technical side though, I'm no coder or anything, computers are just a hobby at best for me. I don't know if what he did will work on new versions of SMF. You'll have to talk to him about that.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: