Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:20:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Designated "business etiquette" boards  (Read 4079 times)
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12968

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 07:50:34 PM

As to the idea that forum.bitcoin.org is not an official forum, sorry but that's naive.

Why? What makes anything on bitcoin.org official? No code is hosted here, and the bitcoin.org resources are not controlled by anyone currently involved in development. There are no links to bitcoin.org in the Bitcoin software.

I think they're already in place anyhow, but I don't moderate the marketplace forum for thread hijacking much.

Off-topic posts should already be deleted or split in any section.

It's hard to notice off-topic posts when you're reading dozens of threads at a time, though. More reports are needed.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gene

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 08:44:48 PM
Last edit: May 25, 2011, 09:11:38 PM by gene

This forum is currently an embarrassment. (See my sig for a good example)

As for professionalism and image, let me note once again that "theymos" advertises the following in his sig:
Did you miss the Bitcoin gold rush? Is Bitcoin not the money machine you'd hoped? You can still Get Rich Quick with fxnet, the Bitcoin Ponzi scheme!

Let's consider the ramifications of having a bitcoin.org forum Administrator and "Hero Member" peddling a ponzi scheme.

Now, I'm not an expert on public relations or anything, but I may understand if a visitor becomes a bit put off by that fact. Think how many time bitcoin has been labeled as a ponzi/pyramid scheme. Is theymos' sig really the kind of thing that we need? Is this the type of person/"business" we wish to have as an administrator and representative?

So yes, anything that makes this place more presentable is worth the effort. Perhaps Gavin should also say his piece here. Thank you, eMansipater, for sticking out your neck.

*processing payment* *error 404 : funds not found*
Do you want to complain on the forum just to fall for another scam a few days later?
| YES       |        YES |
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 08:51:33 PM

As to the idea that forum.bitcoin.org is not an official forum, sorry but that's naive.

Why? What makes anything on bitcoin.org official? No code is hosted here, and the bitcoin.org resources are not controlled by anyone currently involved in development. There are no links to bitcoin.org in the Bitcoin software.

Off-topic posts should already be deleted or split in any section.

It's hard to notice off-topic posts when you're reading dozens of threads at a time, though. More reports are needed.

It is the de-facto site of the bitcoin community and the bitcoin project. It is the closest thing we have to "official".

Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 10:16:32 PM

I support eMansipater. Let's face it this forum is as official for bitcoin as it gets and perception matters. A lot of juvenile flames does not help it. If it comes to that I would prefer politics and flames moving to another forum.

As a reasonable compromise though we really could coexist. eMancipater, you are the damn moderator, go and expand list of subforums and set up some simple, subforum specific  rules. Problem solved.

-
eMansipater (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2011, 10:26:20 PM

I support eMansipater. Let's face it this forum is as official for bitcoin as it gets and perception matters. A lot of juvenile flames does not help it. If it comes to that I would prefer politics and flames moving to another forum.
+1

As a reasonable compromise though we really could coexist. eMancipater, you are the damn moderator, go and expand list of subforums and set up some simple, subforum specific rules. Problem solved.
I realise not everyone knows this, but moderators don't have the ability to create new boards/subforums.  That's reserved for admins.

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2011, 11:14:04 PM

+1
[/quote]
I don't think this place should be seen as a place to advertise bitcoin, if bitcoin succeeds it won't be because of good marketing, it will be because it solves a problem, because it puts the control of money where it belongs, in the hands which use it.

If people desire a new subforum with different rules, why not ? But I don't think that project development should be removed and that too much attention should be given to marketing and PR.

Let's consider the ramifications of having a bitcoin.org forum Administrator and "Hero Member" peddling a ponzi scheme.
I don't think this place is about PR, and I'm also amused at the obvious "this is not a ponzi scheme anymore since i just told you it is one" paradox Smiley

kiba
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 11:23:59 PM

I am tired of the effort in censoring everything for the sake of Public Relation.

First they come for the drugs. Next, they'll come for the gambling, which is by the way...is illegal in the US. Then they will get rid of sex.

Moderate and keep the business forums efficient is what we should be doing as mods anyway.

Anonymous

May 26, 2011, 12:08:33 AM

Slippery Slope Fallacy, Kiba.

Tsk tsk.
xf2_org

Activity: 98
Merit: 13

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 02:18:01 AM

bitcoin.org should not be considered any more official than weusecoins.com or any other site.

Pure fantasy.  It is the de facto official website and forum.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 07:07:11 AM

The anarchists are organising.

I don't think you realise how discredited anything with a slick PR "official" look to it has become after the rip-offs perpetrated from on high for so long. Sure make a "Business" section for the "high-rollers" or whoever you think it is that is offended by the bitcoin rabble but don't expect the vast majority of the people that are using bitcoin now to give a damn what you are saying in there ....

gene

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 02:09:29 PM

Public relations (what used to be called propaganda) is a weapon. Either we understand how it is used and protect ourselves with it, or we make ourselves vulnerable to those who are skilled in its use.

We should not make the job of those who would see bitcoin fail any easier than it already is. Ponzi schemes, deranged ancap/sociopathic rants and weak self-evaluation work to undermine this project.

*processing payment* *error 404 : funds not found*
Do you want to complain on the forum just to fall for another scam a few days later?
| YES       |        YES |
eMansipater (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2011, 04:29:33 PM

I don't think you realise how discredited anything with a slick PR "official" look to it has become after the rip-offs perpetrated from on high for so long. Sure make a "Business" section for the "high-rollers" or whoever you think it is that is offended by the bitcoin rabble but don't expect the vast majority of the people that are using bitcoin now to give a damn what you are saying in there ....

Yeah, like how everyone has stopped using Tor because their homepage looks like this:

It's too bad such a useful tool has become so discredited.

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 05:08:15 PM

Public relations (what used to be called propaganda) is a weapon. Either we understand how it is used and protect ourselves with it, or we make ourselves vulnerable to those who are skilled in its use.

We should not make the job of those who would see bitcoin fail any easier than it already is. Ponzi schemes, deranged ancap/sociopathic rants and weak self-evaluation work to undermine this project.

There is an inherent tension between promoting free speech, which we bitcoiners value a lot, and PR, which is making us looks politically correct or inoffensive.

mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 06:04:50 PM

I support eMansipater's proposal. I think he proved through actions he means well to Bitcoin. We should recognize that there are people who don't like hearing controversial things. If creating a new, heavily moderated, board means they will adopt Bitcoin, why the hell not.
It may even open few people's eyes once their curiosity gets the better of them and they browse the rest of this forum
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 09:24:39 AM

There's now a "Politics and society" subforum where these sorts of things can be discussed. People who aren't interested don't have to see it, people who are can debate at length without worrying about flooding out newbie discussion.
Anonymous

May 27, 2011, 01:39:13 PM

Mark the business section as safe for work/under 18 and the rest of the board nsfw, problem solved and people cant complain if they voluntarily click through. Then you can be as control freakish as you want in your own section and the rest of us can ignore your nanny state.

P.S.
People who think they are doing something for your own good will torment you with no ending.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: