Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 12:51:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Relieving the pain inflicted by the jackboot of the state upon young Zoe's neck  (Read 7418 times)
jbreher (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 04:29:31 PM
Last edit: June 16, 2015, 08:31:29 PM by jbreher

Top Post Edit: Goal Met.

As of 2015 Jun 15, we have hit the goal of $600.00 (the stated approximate confiscation by the jackboots). Thank you all for your donations.

I'll update the donator's list with what I can sort out, provide pictorial proof of existence of Federal Reserve Notes, with 'kicker' paper wallet including prominent funding address, and deliver all the above to Zoe in the next day or three.

In the meantime, see today's postings in this thread for suggestions for an inscription to include.

Thanks to everyone who selflessly pitched in. And thanks to Gleb for kicking this whole project off.

It'll be up to Burt and Jean as to whether there will be a public acknowledgement of this gesture. But Jean has posted contact info at BurtW.com - you can always ask if you suspect anything might be amiss.

Watch this space for the next step...

OK, 2015 Jun 16 update. Stop donating to original address. Any further donations should be sent to https://blockchain.info/address/1KayK9cRSUHXLcs3kjyu1sbcJpUrdsk2Ei, which is a paper wallet that will be given in paper wallet form, along with the cash raised.

Please see the 'BurtW arrested' thread (link below) for background.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=934268.msg10733040#msg10733040

Summary: In its bloodlust to lash out at a person trading bitcoins for their personal use, the behemoth of the state has stolen assets of an innocent family. Caught up in this is the family's eight year old daughter - the jackboot thugs stole her piggy bank, along with approximately $600 -- her entire life savings.

One would think that, once BurtW is exonerated, Zoe would get her savings back. But the tyrants are employing the legalistic theft doctrine of so-called 'civil forfeiture' to simply steal the funds, which leaves no meaningful recourse for recovering the funds. Easy as stealing candy from a baby. (no shit - look it up if you're not familiar with this travesty of injustice).

Bruno has suggested a donation fund, with the goal of restoring young Zoe's hard-earned money.

Having lived the nightmare of dozens of masked men, bearing guns and full riot gear, burst into her home and abuse and terrify her family, Zoe may never again trust anyone in law enforcement. However, we may be able to restore a little of her faith in the basic goodness of most of humanity.

If you're up to the task, would you be so kind as to escrow a bitcoin wallet address that you'll create for the purpose of garnering $600 USD worth of bitcoins? Once amassed, you convert (or however) the bitcoins to fiat, and source a like or similar container/safe that said amount once held Burt and Jean's eight-year-old daughter's savings to once again store the $600.

Hey Bruno - I'd be happy to do so. Bear in mind that, despite my long time involvement here on bitcointalk, I have never escrowed anything for anybody. Accordingly, there is the issue of having to trust me.

Alternatively, we could create a multisig address, which would distribute the trust. However, that's another thing that I've never done, and it would take a bit for me to figure it out. This time could run in parallel with a discussion of whom within the community should be signatories (keyholders) to the multisig address.

Thirdly, we can employ kevinlarr's addy. But then the community would need to trust both of us. In this case, it is likely better to leave it in the sole custody of kevinlarr, though I could still ensure the fiat gets to Zoe. Incidentally, while I have met Zoe -- even bought girl scout cookies from her on more than one occasion -- I am unsure of the spelling of her name. However, I have no reason currently to think that is is other than the most common 'Zoe' derivation.

So I ask anyone likely to donate to weigh in -- in this thread -- on which of these options they would prefer.

==========================
Edit:

Following is the address for donations - see https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=985596.msg10752541#msg10752541 for details.

1FvX81SxjLLvFymFVDH3Z4LXA87jVU6EaH OK, 2015 Jun 16 update. Stop donating to original address. Any further donations should be sent to https://blockchain.info/address/1KayK9cRSUHXLcs3kjyu1sbcJpUrdsk2Ei, which is a paper wallet that will be given in paper wallet form, along with the cash raised.

Donators include:
jbreher
Gleb Gamow
kevinlarr
frankenmint
seven others that have not declared
pawel7777
more unidentified
jonald_fyookball
BitUsher
hedgy73

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
kevinlarr

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 04:53:52 PM

Alternatively, we could create a multisig address, which would distribute the trust. However, that's another thing that I've never done, and it would take a bit for me to figure it out. This time could run in parallel with a discussion of whom within the community should be signatories (keyholders) to the multisig address.

Thirdly, we can employ kevinlarr's addy. But then the community would need to trust both of us. In this case, it is likely better to leave it in the sole custody of kevinlarr, though I could still ensure the fiat gets to Zoe.

I'd be happy to just FWD the bitcoin where ever needed but looks like my spelling on the vanity address was off anyway, LOL.  The way I spelled it kinda sounds like zowwwie (rhyme with Maui) -- I guess I should've googled first:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100103210237AATBdGi

Anyway if we wanna make a vanity address for this, it's easy enough for whoever's ultimately in charge of handling it to do so with VanityGen ( https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Vanitygen ) same as I did it, so that way I don't have to be trusted with the private key at first.

Happy to help either way, just let me know & I'm ready to send some BTC to the fund for little Zoe ("Zoey?") as soon as it's ready.

KEVIN
jbreher (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 05:49:38 PM

Anyway if we wanna make a vanity address for this, it's easy enough for whoever's ultimately in charge of handling it to do so with VanityGen ( https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Vanitygen ) same as I did it,

I don't like vanity addresses. They're cute and all, but they reduce entropy.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 05:59:09 PM

Sounds horrible... maybe more regulation will fix this?

/sarcasm

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 06:11:37 PM

Wait, they really stole 600 USD from a kid? whats the deal with this shit? That is insane, it sounds like it's off some movie.
kevinlarr

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 06:39:49 PM

Yeah, I know that. And I generally agree, but for something like this that doesn't need to protect anonymity so much, and really just to make it kinda a little more FUN for the girl?  I figured maybe it was appropriate.

Anyway, either way = fine 4 me.

Just whoever's doing this let us know where to send the coin, I'm ready to click some over.

Maybe if we pull this off and get the money the jackboots STOLE from this little 8-year-old girl back to her, it can even generate some media coverage, stories, human-interest news articles to shine more light on what they've done to BURT and his FAMILY.

That'd show 'em... ha! Karma's a bitch  Grin

KEVIN
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 07:25:43 PM

Please see the 'BurtW arrested' thread (link below) for background.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=934268.msg10733040#msg10733040

Summary: In its bloodlust to lash out at a person trading bitcoins for their personal use, the behemoth of the state has stolen assets of an innocent family. Caught up in this is the family's eight year old daughter - the jackboot thugs stole her piggy bank, along with approximately $600 -- her entire life savings.

One would think that, once BurtW is exonerated, Zoe would get her savings back. But the tyrants are employing the legalistic theft doctrine of so-called 'civil forfeiture' to simply steal the funds, which leaves no meaningful recourse for recovering the funds. Easy as stealing candy from a baby. (no shit - look it up if you're not familiar with this travesty of injustice).

Bruno has suggested a donation fund, with the goal of restoring young Zoe's hard-earned money.

Having lived the nightmare of dozens of masked men, bearing guns and full riot gear, burst into her home and abuse and terrify her family, Zoe may never again trust anyone in law enforcement. However, we may be able to restore a little of her faith in the basic goodness of most of humanity.

If you're up to the task, would you be so kind as to escrow a bitcoin wallet address that you'll create for the purpose of garnering $600 USD worth of bitcoins? Once amassed, you convert (or however) the bitcoins to fiat, and source a like or similar container/safe that said amount once held Burt and Jean's eight-year-old daughter's savings to once again store the $600.

Hey Bruno - I'd be happy to do so. Bear in mind that, despite my long time involvement here on bitcointalk, I have never escrowed anything for anybody. Accordingly, there is the issue of having to trust me.

Thirdly, we can employ kevinlarr's addy. But then the community would need to trust both of us. In this case, it is likely better to leave it in the sole custody of kevinlarr, though I could still ensure the fiat gets to Zoe. Incidentally, while I have met Zoe -- even bought girl scout cookies from her on more than one occasion -- I am unsure of the spelling of her name. However, I have no reason currently to think that is is other than the most common 'Zoe' derivation.

So I ask anyone likely to donate to weigh in -- in this thread -- on which of these options they would prefer.

Without reading the rest of this thread, there should be no problem with you acting as escrow for a mere $600 in this regard, nor no need for a third-party/multi sig. Just provide a bitcoin wallet address, and the rest should take care of itself, with everybody who donates having enough faith in you to do as you've outlined. No need to complicate a simple venture. And, thanks for doin' this, bud.

I'll now read the rest of this thread to see if an address is readily available.

Bruno
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 07:32:41 PM

Anyway if we wanna make a vanity address for this, it's easy enough for whoever's ultimately in charge of handling it to do so with VanityGen ( https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Vanitygen ) same as I did it,

I'll concur. If this were for a larger sum with the campaign having a longer duration time, then I would lean toward a vanity address. That said, J, just create an address that'll be in your sole control, and let's move forward. I sincerely doubt if there'll be more than a small handful of naysayers about the overall attempt expressing any discontent, albeit their views should be welcome sans laying into them too heavily, if that clause makes any sense, with apologies if I failed in that regard.
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1353

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 07:34:39 PM

Been following the thread about BurtW and as the time progresses, my disgust to the law enforcement deepens. Civil forfeiture - why would those jackboots get the hard-earned money of an eight-year old kid? I mean, seriously, it is a different entity from her parents' money. I cannot believe what is happening to the law enforcement today. "Legal actions"? I don't think so. They are overstepping the lines of their so-called "duties" to the "law".

If you can provide an address, I would love to chuck in something for the kid.

Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2015, 11:08:12 PM

Is everyone assuming Burt was innocent in all of this? I mean, he wasn't bringing the heat on himself at all?

I realize what he did should not impact his daughter. The fact that they seized her money is bullshit. And if Burt's found innocent he can sue the police and get the money back.

There just seems to be a lot of automatic support for this guy but he doesn't seem to be completely innocent.

Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 11:42:24 PM

J, PM me when an official address is created, bud.
kevinlarr

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 02:11:16 AM

Is everyone assuming Burt was innocent in all of this? I mean, he wasn't bringing the heat on himself at all?

I realize what he did should not impact his daughter. The fact that they seized her money is bullshit. And if Burt's found innocent he can sue the police and get the money back.

There just seems to be a lot of automatic support for this guy but he doesn't seem to be completely innocent.

Um, dude... no offense, okay? But can you fucking *read*?

This ain't Andy Griffith 1950's America with Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie and Chevrolet anymore, man.  Pretty fucking far from it.  Suggest you go research and read up on CIVIL ASSET FORFEITURE and etc, i.e. what's really going on, before commenting, right?

At the very least, follow the link to http://www.fear.org that Burt's wife posted prominently on their support page. Or go listen to the senate subcommittee hearing audio, posted earlier in this thread, about what's being attempted to be done to reform this shit.

The "AUTHORITIES" are COUNTING on the SAD FACT that un-informed observers LIKE YOU will simply ASSUME "the guy doesn't seem to be innocent" to TOTALLY COVER UP their extreme un-constitutional actions.

But it ain't supposed to be like that: in AMERICA - in theory - even if someone is actually guilty but the police violate their constitutional rights against unreasonable search and seizure in collecting the evidence to prove their guilt, THEY WALK FREE anyway.

YOUR ATTITUDE is *precisely* and nearly ONLY the entire reason THEY are getting away with this shit.

You're enabling it.  Wake the fuck up.

KEVIN
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 02:31:23 AM

Not tryin' to further bash you (seriously), bud, but me <redacted in case some 8-year-old reads this post> off to a video while fantasizing that the chick is one day younger than of legal age may also be considered a crime.

Note to self: Tape over cam and snip mic wires, otherwise they may have a case if they don't already.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 04:03:36 PM

Non-apologetic bump to learn about address status.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 05:33:37 PM

Um, dude... no offense, okay? But can you fucking *read*?

This ain't Andy Griffith 1950's America with Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie and Chevrolet anymore, man.  Pretty fucking far from it.  Suggest you go research and read up on CIVIL ASSET FORFEITURE and etc, i.e. what's really going on, before commenting, right?

At the very least, follow the link to http://www.fear.org that Burt's wife posted prominently on their support page. Or go listen to the senate subcommittee hearing audio, posted earlier in this thread, about what's being attempted to be done to reform this shit.

The "AUTHORITIES" are COUNTING on the SAD FACT that un-informed observers LIKE YOU will simply ASSUME "the guy doesn't seem to be innocent" to TOTALLY COVER UP their extreme un-constitutional actions.

But it ain't supposed to be like that: in AMERICA - in theory - even if someone is actually guilty but the police violate their constitutional rights against unreasonable search and seizure in collecting the evidence to prove their guilt, THEY WALK FREE anyway.

YOUR ATTITUDE is *precisely* and nearly ONLY the entire reason THEY are getting away with this shit.

You're enabling it.  Wake the fuck up.

KEVIN

A lot more people need to be woken up if you want to stop this kind of thing. We have become a near Orwellian police state. As long as we are fat and comfortable not enough people will care. Put your feet up, throw on the reality show du joir and go down with the ship seems to be the gameplan for the vast majority of not only Americans but westerners in general.

jbreher (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 06:16:48 PM
Last edit: June 16, 2015, 05:55:31 PM by jbreher

OK, I've given this 24 hours for comment. Having seen no dissension, this will be the address to be used:

1FvX81SxjLLvFymFVDH3Z4LXA87jVU6EaH one line edit: don't use this address - we met our goal. Paper wallet will accompany $600 cash. If you want to donate further, please use https://blockchain.info/address/1KayK9cRSUHXLcs3kjyu1sbcJpUrdsk2Ei, which is a paper wallet that will be given in paper wallet form, along with the cash raised.

This is an address for which I am the only party that has the private key. I will leave this until we reach $600.00, or until consensus in this thread determines that no more donations are likely to be made. Upon either of these conditions, I will cut a check to Zoe, provide an image of said check in this thread, and either mail or hand-deliver it to her.

If funds in excess of $600.00 are accumulated in this fund, I will remit the remainder to Jean's donation address.

Not meaning to put words in the mouths of Zoe, Burt, or Jean, but I assume they might make an announcement of Zoe receiving this token of our appreciation of her fight against creeping totalitarianism on the BurtW.com website.

Thank you all for your effort in this cause, and thank you Bruno for putting this in motion.

If you contribute to this effort by making a donation, notify us in the thread here. I will accumulate nicks of all donators in the OP. If a day or so goes by without your name appearing in the OP, shoot me a PM.

Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 12:29:59 AM

OK, I've given this 24 hours for comment. Having seen no dissension, this will be the address to be used:

1FvX81SxjLLvFymFVDH3Z4LXA87jVU6EaH

This is an address for which I am the only party that has the private key. I will leave this until we reach $600.00, or until consensus in this thread determines that no more donations are likely to be made. Upon either of these conditions, I will cut a check to Zoe, provide an image of said check in this thread, and either mail or hand-deliver it to her.

If funds in excess of $600.00 are accumulated in this fund, I will remit the remainder to Jean's donation address.

Not meaning to put words in the mouths of Zoe, Burt, or Jean, but I assume they might make an announcement of Zoe receiving this token of our appreciation of her fight against creeping totalitarianism on the BurtW.com website.

Thank you all for your effort in this cause, and thank you Bruno for putting this in motion.

If you contribute to this effort by making a donation, notify us in the thread here. I will accumulate nicks of all donators in the OP. If a day or so goes by without your name appearing in the OP, shoot me a PM.

Great, bud. I've sent, so let's see if I can create some magic via Reddit.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 12:36:57 AM

Here's the Reddit link: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2yuwgo/seeking_only_600_usd_via_btc_donations_to_replace/

For those unable to donate but desire to help, simply get the word out via the myriad social media outlets. We're only talkin' 'bout $600 USD here, folks.

Bruno
kevinlarr

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 02:09:25 PM

The third transaction to the donation address for 0.0777 BTC about $23 bucks was from me... but since I'm using this kevinlarr account *only* for comment in the BurtW threads (keeping my normal nic out of it, just in case of retaliation etc by The Other Side) kinda don't care if you list me in the donators or not, either way.

C'mon you guys, let's get this up to $600 for Zoe.

And anyone have any contacts or sources for media/news attention to this topic? Would be cool to see a feature story on it on coindesk or even some mainstream media site.

KEVIN
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 02:31:28 PM

The third transaction to the donation address for 0.0777 BTC about $23 bucks was from me... but since I'm using this kevinlarr account *only* for comment in the BurtW threads (keeping my normal nic out of it, just in case of retaliation etc by The Other Side) kinda don't care if you list me in the donators or not, either way.

C'mon you guys, let's get this up to $600 for Zoe.

And anyone have any contacts or sources for media/news attention to this topic? Would be cool to see a feature story on it on coindesk or even some mainstream media site.

KEVIN

Thanks, bud, and nobody's maintaining a list. To date, we're just shy of a third of the way to the ONLY $600 goal.

Neat idea about having an article penned. The rags (non-derogatory) always need fodder. Who reading this has connections?

Somebody on Reddit penned a kinda snide remark, so I replied in kind, kind of: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2yuwgo/seeking_only_600_usd_via_btc_donations_to_replace/
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: