Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 01:12:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: whats the most creative way of keeping bitcoins in cold storage  (Read 2287 times)
cshelswell

Activity: 615
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2015, 08:03:14 PM

Nothing beats backup, back up the key in different geographical locations remove the need to protect a single point of failure, and keeping several copies at your relatives might give them chance to retrieve it once you were caught by an incident

I back everything up in 2 locations and 3 different drives. Backup is the best way to preserve something I used to love watching people at uni who stored all their assignments on a thumb drive only for it to fail. I'd ask if they'd backed it up... They learnt to do so quickly

What's "uni"?

Uni = University.

Even worse I meant an older women at my previous University who kept her Thesis on a freaking 3.5'' floppy drive, no backups, and it FAILED. Poof, years of work....GONE.

Yeah I remember people using only one floppy to put stuff on... Nutters... I don't think floppy disks were ever reliable

"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rikkie

Activity: 574

Richard Coleman - Chief Executive @ CloudThink.IO

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2015, 09:42:27 PM

Make a ring engraved with a private key forged in the fires of Mount Doom in Mordor

The Key only becomes visible when the ring is heated in fire

I think Charlie Shrem did this already...... 

How about storing them in plane sight??? Make a bunch of new addresses in a wallet each with 1 satoshi. Then pay all those satoshis back to one of your primary well-known wallet address that you can recognize. Use the 2nd number/letter of each address as the passphrase for a brain wallet which then give you a private key/public key. HIDDEN IN PLAIN SITE and won't go away unless bitcoin is dead.

--Now that this method is said it is not safe (and not really random either), DO NOT ACTUALLY DO THIS!!! lol
You could possibly do some variation of this. Instead of the second number, you could use the last digit or the second to last digit. You obviously would not use 1 satoshi inputs, but instead use inputs starting at .01 BTC and increasing up to 1.12 BTC in .01 BTC increments, and having the digit that you use for the .01 input as the first number/letter of your passphrase, the .02 input the second digit and so on until the 1.12 digit is the last digit of your passphrase. You could first create transactions to an intermediary address (or several so you would need to go back a few 'hops' to get back to your passphraise inputs), then create the brainwallet and fund the brainwallet.
picolo

Activity: 1022

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 12:37:52 AM

Paper burns, what is a super creative way of keeping cold storage?

Paper that doesn't burn or a brain wallet. I think a brain wallet is a very creative way to keep your bitcoins in cold storage because you need to be very creative to create a safe brainwallet.
asuryan180

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 12:47:06 AM

Not sure how creative it is but it would surly be very safe as long as you remember where you put it i would use stone engraved with the keys and have that buried in a time capsule in my garden. Like i said would be safe enough and as long as you do not need it really quick would be perfect for me at least and i am going to look into it Smiley

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: