Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 08:39:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Rise of Bitcoin Cost  (Read 5224 times)
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 06:42:38 AM

If there is lots of volatility, it probably offers lots of opportunities for speculators/bot-writers/traders to profit from the volatility. SO the problem could fix itself.

JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 08:49:26 AM

Isn't it the case that with low (even if stable) prices, any large transaction in an exchange will move the market, thus causing volatility?
I believe so.

The only way to a more stable and functional market is increase in "market cap" (a misnomer) - and since supply is set in stone, this means increase in exchange rates (influx of fiat capital).
I agree. To some extent, the price of a bitcoin is a measure of the success of bitcoins. (Though indirectly.)

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
norulezapply

Activity: 481
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 10:55:43 AM

Bitcoin prices rise...

Not sure what the problem is, I would love to know why.

No problems here, chief!
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 02:38:07 PM

To some extent, the price of a bitcoin is a measure of the success of bitcoins. (Though indirectly.)

This is an important point. Perhaps trivial, but many miss it: if Bitcoin ever succeeds, the exchange rates will have to be many times higher than they are today. The other way around is not necessarily true: high price doesn't indicate the success (wide adoption). Lots of fiat capital doesn't necessarily mean lots of users and diversity.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 02:42:37 PM
Last edit: August 06, 2012, 03:59:30 PM by DeathAndTaxes

Isn't it the case that with low (even if stable) prices, any large transaction in an exchange will move the market, thus causing volatility? The recurring joke here is that current btc economy cannot even sustain a fancy yacht or a house being traded without volatility.

The only way to a more stable and functional market is increase in "market cap" (a misnomer) - and since supply is set in stone, this means increase in exchange rates (influx of fiat capital).

Yes.  However two things are needed.  A larger money supply AND sufficient market depth (doesn't matter where it will all arbitrage).  For Bitcoin, the larger money supply requires higher exchange rates (not just pump and dump but sustainable higher exchange rates due to real demand).   The deeper market depth will come with higher prices, larger players, more economic activity, and more mature exchanges/platforms.

The USD:EUR exchange rate has low volatility not just because both economies are large but also because the Forex market has massive depth.  It takes hundreds of millions in trades to move the market in any meaningful way.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 03:50:45 PM

It started rising after Butterfly Labs started taking payment in BTC for their new mining equipment.

It also started rising after April 15. April 15th must've caused it!
donatello

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 10:45:56 PM

I too am curious to know why a rise in price is perceived as a problem.
Use as a medium of exchange is critical to Bitcoin's long-term success. Instability in value makes a currency harder to use as a medium of exchange. Imagine, for example, if you placed a large purchase on a Bitcoin credit card and the value of Bitcoins doubled. Or imagine if your rent was in Bitcoins and then the value of Bitcoins doubled.

Part of using something as a medium of exchange is you hold those things to plan for future purchases.  If you're paying rent in BTC and holding dollars, you're doing it wrong imo.

Anyways, Bitcoin is used by a tiny amount of people right now.  You're not gonna get to the point of "long-term success" without it going up a bunch.
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 03:28:23 AM

probably due to the success of sr.
http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/onepercent/2012/08/silk-road-bitcoin-illegal.html

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 03:38:57 AM

wired uk and forbes picked up the story

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-08/06/silk-road-drugs
http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2012/08/06/black-market-drug-site-silk-road-booming-22-million-in-annual-mostly-illegal-sales/

JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 04:16:44 AM

Use as a medium of exchange is critical to Bitcoin's long-term success. Instability in value makes a currency harder to use as a medium of exchange. Imagine, for example, if you placed a large purchase on a Bitcoin credit card and the value of Bitcoins doubled. Or imagine if your rent was in Bitcoins and then the value of Bitcoins doubled.
Part of using something as a medium of exchange is you hold those things to plan for future purchases.  If you're paying rent in BTC and holding dollars, you're doing it wrong imo.
Sure, that solves the problem for people who have enough wealth stored that they can stash the money to pay all their future rent when they enter into the rental agreement. However, for ordinary people, having their rent suddenly cost twice as much of their income would be devastating.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 11:53:24 AM

The research discovered that there was a very tight coupling between the Silk Road and Bitcoin market, saying that "daily sales on Silk Road correspond to almost 20 percent fo the average daily volume of US dollar to Bitcoin exchanges on Mt.Gox. As a result, a potentially effective intervention policy would be to destabilise the value of the Bitcoin, creating instability in the market.

Well boys, it looks like its on!! Angry

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 01:47:40 PM
Last edit: August 07, 2012, 02:06:16 PM by Serge

The research discovered that there was a very tight coupling between the Silk Road and Bitcoin market, saying that "daily sales on Silk Road correspond to almost 20 percent fo the average daily volume of US dollar to Bitcoin exchanges on Mt.Gox. As a result, a potentially effective intervention policy would be to destabilise the value of the Bitcoin, creating instability in the market.

Well boys, it looks like its on!! Angry

If they cut fiat access to major bitcoin exchanges, bitcoin will just go into shadows evolving more advanced decentralized exchanges. Even if value of bitcoin drops with panic at that point, in the end Bitcoin will come out only stronger and more resilient.

edit: the quoted comment taken out of context, researchers actually gave 4 suggestions on "potential intervention strategies": a) Attacking the (tor) network; b) Attacking the financial infrastructure; c) Attacking the delivery model & d) Laissez-faire - do nothing.  To follow author's logic with accepting "attacking financial infrastructure", it should start with fiat - as it is widely used in all sorts of crime.
donatello

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 11:53:14 PM

Sure, that solves the problem for people who have enough wealth stored that they can stash the money to pay all their future rent when they enter into the rental agreement. However, for ordinary people, having their rent suddenly cost twice as much of their income would be devastating.
To me having 6-12 months of rent saved seems fairly "ordinary" when you enter into a rental agreement. (I'm sleeping in the woods before I'm coughing up like most of my net worth on rent.)

But regardless, I don't think it makes much sense to make long-term contracts in BTC right now. Your hypothetical person should be getting income in BTC if it makes sense to do rent contracts that way.

When it's widely used, then it can be stable, but stability now would just mean bitcoin is never widely used.
anu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 06:17:57 AM

High BTC price is mainly a good thing, as it stabilizes the price - a 1$ movement in price is huge when price is 5$, and a minor thing when price is 100$

That's not really a good argument -  there's no reason why the absolute volatility of the price should be constant, rather than proportional to the price itself. What is a good argument is that higher price implies more people which implies a more diffuse community and therefore more stability due to the random walk effect.
It is. Back in November buying a car for $30K would move the price more than 20% back and forth (you buying the BTC and the car dealer selling them again). Today, the same deal would barely be noticeable.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.