Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:32:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Pool as of August 2012?  (Read 7302 times)
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2012, 12:35:42 PM

If you want the least variance (PPS) and transaction fees paid out, Mt. Red would make more sense.

If you want PPS and transaction fees paid out then you are out of luck. That pool doesn't exist.

In the future when transaction fees go up even more we will see PPS pools paying above what they today call "zero fee", because it isn't actually zero fee (transaction fees are not paid out).

Sorry, MtRed do payout txn fees on PPS, part of the reason they pay on blockfind I am told Smiley

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=15929.msg1128174#msg1128174

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DrHaribo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1034

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2012, 01:24:13 PM

Sorry, MtRed do payout txn fees on PPS, part of the reason they pay on blockfind I am told Smiley

Ah, I stand corrected. My apologies.

Interesting, they delay PPS payouts so they can include transaction fees in the payout. Looks like a good way to include tx fees on PPS pools.

Maybe other PPS pools will take that route too, rather than calculate in some average tx fee value. Time will show.

▶▶▶ bitminter.com 2011-2020 ▶▶▶ pool.xbtodigital.io 2023-
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2012, 01:27:22 PM

Ah, I stand corrected. My apologies.

Interesting, they delay PPS payouts so they can include transaction fees in the payout. Looks like a good way to include tx fees on PPS pools.

Maybe other PPS pools will take that route too, rather than calculate in some average tx fee value. Time will show.

Details on pools fees and payments can be found here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=104664.0

Tongue

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
DrHaribo
Legendary

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2012, 01:36:20 PM

Details on pools fees and payments can be found here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=104664.0

Tongue

Yeah, yeah, rub it in Cheesy

Btw, what does "pay stales" mean? Do that many pools pay for stale proofs of work ("shares")?

I thought only one pool did that, which closed down. The name eludes me right now.

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2012, 01:40:47 PM

Tongue

Yeah, yeah, rub it in Cheesy

Btw, what does "pay stales" mean? Do that many pools pay for stale proofs of work ("shares")?

I thought only one pool did that, which closed down. The name eludes me right now.

Yes, it means they pay stale shares. I'm not sure how they tell those from invalid shares, but according to their websites and forum threads, there are five pools that do, four of which are PPS.

BTW, that post is a work in progress - if anything is wrong, let me know. I spent a day off sick from work reading pool threads, and I might have lost my mind at some point. Wink

DrHaribo
Legendary

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2012, 01:56:55 PM

Yes, it means they pay stale shares. I'm not sure how they tell those from invalid shares, but according to their websites and forum threads, there are five pools that do, four of which are PPS.

I guess they keep track of old work for a while so they pay for work that is "too old" but not "too too old". Wink Doesn't make sense to pay for work that was stale 30 minutes ago.

BTW, that post is a work in progress - if anything is wrong, let me know. I spent a day off sick from work reading pool threads, and I might have lost my mind at some point. Wink

I was sure Deepbit doesn't pay stale shares. They pay out orphaned ("invalid") blocks though.

Maybe I'm wrong and I should also start reading all the pool threads. But it does sound like a fast way to lose one's mind.

MXRider

Activity: 466
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 02:00:54 PM

Best pool as of Semptember 2012? I'd say Bonuspool https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60717.0
Miners get 130% PPS. Only trick is that coins are paid at the end of Semptember.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2012, 02:01:30 PM

I guess they keep track of old work for a while so they pay for work that is "too old" but not "too too old". Wink Doesn't make sense to pay for work that was stale 30 minutes ago.

I was sure Deepbit doesn't pay stale shares. They pay out orphaned ("invalid") blocks though.

Maybe I'm wrong and I should also start reading all the pool threads. But it does sound like a fast way to lose one's mind.

I'll pm [Tycho] and check that I didn't make a mistake. I seem to also remember this in the thread, so I could be wrong.

P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 02:31:15 PM

Best pool as of Semptember 2012? I'd say Bonuspool https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60717.0
Miners get 130% PPS. Only trick is that coins are paid at the end of Semptember.

... if coins are paid at all.
Dont you think that whole scheme smells to high heaven? Its a pool run by one of Pirate's fiercest defenders. I would exercise some caution if I were you.

MXRider

Activity: 466

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 03:04:07 PM

Dont you think that whole scheme smells to high heaven? Its a pool run by one of Pirate's fiercest defenders. I would exercise some caution if I were you.

I know you hate Clipse and his pool. Now you are going to advertise your pool hopping scheme, right? Like you did few weeks ago in Clipse's thread?
doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 03:31:00 PM

The approach I've been considering implementing is paying a PPS value based on the actual value of the block that getwork creates. This would include transaction fees for the block. It'd make the PPS value slightly variable as transactions are included in blocks being hashed. A downside might be if an outlier transaction with a large fee is in a block and the pool pays out PPS for it but doesn't win it - it might take longer to recover from that. if transactions fees are evenly distributed across blocks it might not be too bad. I assume this is how DGM pools include transaction fees?
P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 04:04:46 PM

I know you hate Clipse and his pool. Now you are going to advertise your pool hopping scheme, right? Like you did few weeks ago in Clipse's thread?

I strongly distrust Clipse, accused and IMO shown him to be a liar. Whats currently going on doesnt exactly instil confidence, but if you do trust him, feel free to spend your shares there. You may want to buy some Pirate debt while you are at it.  As for my pool hopping scheme, its not a pool, so its not something I would bring up in this thread and I dont think you can seriously accuse me of spamming it.  

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2012, 09:43:30 PM

The approach I've been considering implementing is paying a PPS value based on the actual value of the block that getwork creates. This would include transaction fees for the block. It'd make the PPS value slightly variable as transactions are included in blocks being hashed. A downside might be if an outlier transaction with a large fee is in a block and the pool pays out PPS for it but doesn't win it - it might take longer to recover from that. if transactions fees are evenly distributed across blocks it might not be too bad. I assume this is how DGM pools include transaction fees?

In effect you're paying out Tx fees?

doublec
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 11:58:26 PM

That's what the effect would be. I haven't implemented it yet though so not currently paying out Tx fees.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2012, 12:12:27 AM

That's what the effect would be. I haven't implemented it yet though so not currently paying out Tx fees.

That would mean paying PPS once a block solves rather per share -  is that how you do it atm?

doublec
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 12:39:09 AM

That would mean paying PPS once a block solves rather per share -  is that how you do it atm?
No, the effect is it pays out the transaction fee value for the current block being worked at as part of the PPS payment. So each PPS increment for the user is adjusted based on the fees for that block being worked on, even though the pool hasn't received those fees and might not if it doesn't solve that actual block. Over time it should balance out though.

Currently bitparking doesn't pay out transaction fees at all.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2012, 01:03:59 AM

No, the effect is it pays out the transaction fee value for the current block being worked at as part of the PPS payment. So each PPS increment for the user is adjusted based on the fees for that block being worked on, even though the pool hasn't received those fees and might not if it doesn't solve that actual block .....

I understand - thanks for persevering.

Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2012, 02:16:35 AM

Only 1 DGM pool is paying txn fees currently to my knowledge
DGM is score based
incoming shares increases score,
we use a RPC call to see value of transactions in block when share submitted, this is factored into score
currently when we pay out we do: pool_B = [[50 - 3%]+ txn_fee]
this will be changing to: pool_B = [[50+ txn_fee  ] - 3%] before block reward halves, obviously when reward halves it will become pool_B = [[25+ txn_fee ] - 3%]
roomservice may be able to give a more detailed explanation when he has time
hope that's a help
Graet

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
Prattler

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 05:04:44 AM

What's the best pool right now?

P2pool! Everyone who cares for bitcoin's future, should at least check it out.
psilan

Activity: 364

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 08:22:03 PM

I haven't been paid since 2012-07-24 despite Clipse agreeing to pay me prior to the pirate collapse.
He is able to lock his pool thread to avoid bad publicity.

dip
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: