Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 02:26:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Why the darkcoin/dash/dashpay instamine matters  (Read 47769 times)

Activity: 288
Merit: 102

Yin Yang religion of wisdom, harmony

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 10:23:25 PM

That's exactly the point.

Corporations and presidents have plenty of critics calling them out when what they do is seen as wrong, do they not?

Yes there are, but you know what, you can't satisfy every person out there, there are always critics and different thinkers, that's the way life is...
But that's the freedom of speech, which is great!

Quote from: smooth
I don't know exactly what Bill Gates told IBM, investors, etc. Let's stick with what we do know -- about Dash -- and that's referenced in the first post here and subsequent discussion.
We can leave digging into Microsoft to the dozens or hundreds of lawyers, writers and journalists who have investigated it over the decades. Why should Dash get a pass from the same scrutiny

This is exactly my point, we don't know the future of this yet.

We certainly know dash's past even though they keep changing the name on us. And if you think institutional investors (whom dash will need to get to their moon objective) are going to look past shadiness, you need to think more clearly on the subject.

"You want me to trust your assertion that you accidentally mined 2 million coins and didn't relaunch to validate your claim of a fair launch?" says Institutional Investor.

"But it was an accident!" says Evan.

"Get out of my office." says Institutional Investor.
An astute investor will never touch Dash. The targeted audience is the simple minded individual buying the all curing snake oil.

Thank you for not sending browny points, much appreciated.

4D Torus Earth https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5042249.msg46425670#msg46425670
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2015, 10:30:46 PM

Privacy should be inherent at the protocol level, not attempted as an added feature

Why?

Because mathematically proven 'good crypto' is preferable to Dash's 'bad crypto.'

https://downloads.getmonero.org/whitepaper_review.pdf

You can't simply glue privacy onto a Bitcoin-like transparent protocol/blockchain.  A house is only as strong as its foundation.

And why would this matter, Windows was built on top of DOS, and still it's the most widest used OS, and that's only one example.

Windows is not the most widely used OS for FinTech infrastructure.

Are you saying Dash is good enough for consumers, because it is the DOS of crypto?   Cheesy

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
minersday

Activity: 1484
Merit: 535

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 02:12:09 AM

Privacy should be inherent at the protocol level, not attempted as an added feature

Why?

Because mathematically proven 'good crypto' is preferable to Dash's 'bad crypto.'

https://downloads.getmonero.org/whitepaper_review.pdf

You can't simply glue privacy onto a Bitcoin-like transparent protocol/blockchain.  A house is only as strong as its foundation.

And why would this matter, Windows was built on top of DOS, and still it's the most widest used OS, and that's only one example.

Windows is not the most widely used OS for FinTech infrastructure.

Are you saying Dash is good enough for consumers, because it is the DOS of crypto?   Cheesy

You based this FinTech infrastructure claim on what? (oh yeah, and please take into account that there are hypervizors under there nowadays).
And the end users of Fintech they use what OS mostly? I guess it would be Windows.
So what's really wrong with it if everybody uses it?

minersday

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 02:17:00 AM

An astute investor will never touch Dash. The targeted audience is the simple minded individual buying the all curing snake oil.

You know that investors/corporations only talk money. As long as they make the money they don't care if somebody else has some funds or any other stuff for that matter and that's the cold fact.

It's a cold rationalization.

smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 02:18:13 AM

You know that investors/corporations only talk money. As long as they make the money they don't care if somebody else has some funds or any other stuff for that matter and that's the cold fact.

There are a thousand coins and no reason to think that Dash is the way to "make the money". If they're going to look beyond Bitcoin at all (a long shot to begin with) they're going to be very, very selective. I don't see Dash with its baggage making the cut.
minersday

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 02:26:31 AM

There are a thousand coins and no reason to think that Dash is the way to "make the money". If they're going to look beyond Bitcoin at all (a long shot to begin with) they're going to be very, very selective. I don't see Dash with its baggage making the cut.

There could be several coins that could be selected because of only their current market cap (money talks), which reflects the trust of any coin.
But currently bitcoin has the most trust of course. I hope lot's of coins would be added to example (NYSE) trading posts..
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 02:33:55 AM

There could be several coins that could be selected because of only their current market value (money talks), which reflects the trust of any coin.
But currently bitcoin has the most trust of course. I hope lot's of coins would be added to example (NYSE) trading posts..

You bolded statement doesn't apply when there is potential manipulation due to a highly concentrated supply, only when that market value is the result of a credible market process. Which is exactly why serious investors who need to cover their ass* are going to stay the hell away from anything with such enormous red flags: because the market prices can't be trusted.

No doubt a few speculators will buy it, especially in a rising market, and there might be a bit of money to be made, but the big money won't go anywhere near it. The smell of fraud is Kryptonite to institutional investors, just as generalizethis astutely explained to you. Ignore at your peril.

If there were no other alternatives, then maybe, just maybe, the big money would hold their nose and go in. But that's nowhere near the reality. There are many alternatives. Dash won't make it past the first screen.

* "No one ever got fired for buying IBM." i.e. If, as an asset manager, you buy something without enormous red flags and it loses money, you took a reasonable risk and it didn't pay off. If you ignore the enormous red flags and buy something that loses money, you are incompetent, or in on the fraud, and you get fired or sued.
minersday

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 02:53:31 AM

You bolded statement doesn't apply when there is potential manipulation due to a highly concentrated supply, only when that market value is the result of a credible market process. Which is exactly why serious investors who need to cover their ass* are going to stay the hell away from anything with such enormous red flags: because the market prices can't be trusted.

No doubt a few speculators will buy it, especially in a rising market, and there might be a bit of money to be made, but the big money won't go anywhere near it. The smell of fraud is Kryptonite to institutional investors, just as generalizethis astutely explained to you. Ignore at your peril.

If there were no other alternatives, then maybe, just maybe, the big money would hold their nose and go in. But that's nowhere near the reality. There are many alternatives. Dash won't make it past the first screen.

* "No one ever got fired for buying IBM." i.e. If as an asset manager, you buy something without enormous red flags and it goes down, you too an intelligent risk and it didn't pay off. If you ignore the enormous red flags and, you are an idiot and you get fired or sued.

And this goes for any coin, I don't even know if bitcoin is an exception in this, this is how the virtual currencies are.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 02:54:34 AM

* "No one ever got fired for buying IBM." i.e. If as an asset manager, you buy something without enormous red flags and it goes down, you too an intelligent risk and it didn't pay off. If you ignore the enormous red flags and, you are an idiot and you get fired or sued.

And this goes for any coin, I don't even know if bitcoin is an exception in this, this is how the virtual currencies are.

If you think Bitcoin is bad then Dash is 100x worse. I shouldn't even need to explain why, but if I do just take a look at this thread.

That's really the point. When someone is surveying the market and looking for reasonable investments, they can find ones with far, far less in the way of red flags than Dash. If anything gets rejected on the basis of reputation and fraud risk, and many will, that will certainly include Dash.

The Dash leadership pretty much knows this which is why they keep changing names. It makes sense to at least try to get away from the past that way, but it won't work.
minersday

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 03:07:52 AM

If you think Bitcoin is bad then Dash is 100x worse. I shouldn't even need to explain why, but if I do just take a look at this thread.

That's really the point. When someone is surveying the market and looking for reasonable investments, they can find ones with far, far less in the way of red flags than Dash. If anything gets rejected on the basis of reputation and fraud risk, and many will, that will certainly include Dash.

The Dash leadership pretty much knows this which is why they keep changing names. It makes sense to at least try to get away from the past that way, but it won't work.

Markets do choose the coins, they choose the coins where there are the highest market caps and value for trading and margins And why? again money talks.
Basically virtual currency market cap = trust of coin
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 03:08:58 AM

Markets do choose the coins, they choose the coins where there are the highest market caps and value for trading and margins And why? again money talks.

Yes please buy smoothcoin! It has a premined supply of one billion coins and I just sold one the other day for $1 = market cap $1 billion, right?

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 03:14:20 AM

The Bytecoin premine disguised as a ninjamine is far worse than the Dash instamine.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
minersday

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 03:21:27 AM

Yes please buy smoothcoin! It has a premined supply of one billion coins and I just sold one the other day for $1 = market cap $1 billion, right?

People would buy/sell the coin, if it had been proven in crypto-exchanges to be a valid coin and traded for years, so it really would have some "stable" value, which in turn comes into coins market cap.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 03:24:06 AM

People would buy/sell the coin, if it had been proven in crypto-exchanges to be a valid coin and traded for years, so it really would have some "stable" value, which in turn comes into coins market cap.

The value is extremely stable. I sold another coin for $1 a few weeks ago, and a few weeks before that I sold one for 50c, so there is a nice rate of return going. I suggest you get in right away.
minersday

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 03:33:02 AM

The value is extremely stable. I sold another coin for $1 a few weeks ago, and a few weeks before that I sold one for 50c, so there is a nice rate of return going. I suggest you get in right away.

And whom are you calling a fraud?
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 03:33:33 AM

According to you it is all good as long as it makes the money.
minersday

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 03:37:40 AM

Quote from: minersday
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 03:42:53 AM

So basically what you are saying is that market cap is what counts but only if it meets the standards you have set for credibility and integrity.

What I'm telling you (and generalizethis is telling you, and anyone else who knows how these things work would tell you) is that Dash will likewise not meet the standards set by institutional investors. Just too many red flags in a competitive market where other coins don't have the same baggage.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2015, 03:47:04 AM

the end users of Fintech they use what OS mostly? I guess it would be Windows.
So what's really wrong with it if everybody uses it?

I'm not focused on end users (ie consumers, ie lusers).  Last I checked, Windows isn't part of OpenStack.   Cheesy 

AFAIK, Fintech's core infrastructure runs on *nix (Debian, Red Hat, BSD, and Solaris variants, with Java.Scala overlays thrown about randomly).

But never mind all that.  The point is Dash is a scam, and Monero is the only real alternative for security and privacy-centric applications.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
minersday

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 04:01:13 AM

So basically what you are saying is that market cap is what counts but only if it meets the standards you have set for credibility and integrity.

What I'm telling you (and generalizethis is telling you, and anyone else who knows how these things work would tell you) is that Dash will likewise not meet the standards set by institutional investors. Just too many red flags in a competitive market where other coins don't have the same baggage.

When you have market cap and it's been traded and listed years, it meets the standards you have set for credibility and integrity, people trade the coin so they trust it. Bigger the trust bigger the market cap.
Sorry to sound like a broken clock, but again money talks in this business.
That's why some new coins get listed on exchanges that previously were bitcoin and litecoin only.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »
  Print  

Jump to: