Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 09:28:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I want firstbits key pair for 1gig  (Read 8515 times)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 12:51:54 PM
Last edit: August 14, 2012, 01:19:07 PM by DeathAndTaxes

Well, my stupid head begins to understand.  Cheesy  And if you use tables? This will increase the probability of finding a match?

No.  There is no method which will allow you to solve this problem faster than an exhaustive brute force search.  

If you could brute force the public/private keypair for a particular exact bitcoin address with any reasonable amount of computing power (even a massive amount) it would instantly destroy Bitcoin.  Why stop at finding "1GiGKdNCywjPxdXEg6PbPtXWYNZStFoSfr" why not find the private key for an address holding hundreds of thousands of Bitcoins and instantly steal them?  Of course even if you did how would you use them?  Someone else would likely be stealing them from you by finding your private key.  Who would be foolish enough to accept them as payment when they can just run some computers and steal them from you instead?  Even if they are honest why would any merchant want  coin which could be instantly stolen after they receive it?  

The value of BTC would fall to nothing.  I mean what good is a store of value where someone can instantly and remotely take it from without any access to the store of value.  "Poof" - value gone.

The only method to find a particularly public/private keypair is an exhaustive brute force search and the address space is 2^160th.  That is what vanitygen is doing.  It is simply trying random numbers until it finds one that produces an address which matches your pattern.  The longer the pattern the longer the search takes.  Each digit increases the avg time to find a solution by a factor of 58x.   So if you could fine an address which matches the first 5 digits in a day, one that matches 6 digits would take roughly 2 month, one that matches 7 digits would take roughly 10 years, one that matches 8 digits would take roughly 6 centuries, one that matches 10 digits would take 2 million years.

If you turned the entire planet into a super computer which ran at perfect efficiency (the thermodynamic limit) and built a dyson sphere around the sun to capture all of it's entire energy output you couldn't produce all addresses before our sun burned out.  You might have a ~1% chance of finding the keypair for a particular address sometime in the next 5 billion years.
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 12:59:16 PM

yeah but everyone know the answer to that question would be 42 Cool

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
naima53

Activity: 616
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 01:10:24 PM

Not sure why.  I think all of your questions have been answered.  What exactly do you want to know?
Yes. I too am on that list. And I also fear for my investment. That would be fucking stupidity if someone stole all the coins from the list, using the SEQUOIA SUPERCOMPUTER and tables. This fear of losing money.

Donate me) 16f6iWHHkVEnDReeBQPT9GwCNwUfPTXrp2
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2012, 01:15:28 PM

Not sure why.  I think all of your questions have been answered.  What exactly do you want to know?
Yes. I too am on that list. And I also fear for their investment. That would be fucking stupidity if someone stole all the coins from the list, using the SEQUOIA SUPERCOMPUTER and tables. This fear of losing money.
What list? If you're talking about firstbits - there is no list!
That's been explained several times here.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2012, 01:19:04 PM

Not sure why.  I think all of your questions have been answered.  What exactly do you want to know?
Yes. I too am on that list. And I also fear for my investment. That would be fucking stupidity if someone stole all the coins from the list, using the SEQUOIA SUPERCOMPUTER and tables. This fear of losing money.
I think the short answer is that Bitcoin uses the state of the art in cryptographic techniques and unless you give someone your private key your Bitcoins are safe. But, on the other hand, if you lose your private key you are totally screwed and your Bitcoins will never be recovered.  No one can "take" anyone elses Bitcoins without the private key.

Do you have a more specific question?

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
naima53

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 01:20:06 PM

Not sure why.  I think all of your questions have been answered.  What exactly do you want to know?
Yes. I too am on that list. And I also fear for their investment. That would be fucking stupidity if someone stole all the coins from the list, using the SEQUOIA SUPERCOMPUTER and tables. This fear of losing money.
This list. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=92423.0 Thanks for the clarification.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2012, 01:22:39 PM

This list. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=92423.0 Thanks for the clarification.
Ahh the list.  You made the list?  Congratulations.  Now keep that private key safe and backed up!

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
naima53

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 02:00:09 PM

You made the list?
No, I did not. But I was there.

naima53

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 02:44:26 PM

You might have a ~1% chance of finding the keypair for a particular address sometime in the next 5 billion years.
Well .... That is impressive .. Why I did hear about a quantum computer? How the light can solve this? As I understand it , just change the mediator (the light instead of electrons) - the rest remains the same ..

enmaku

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 06:53:42 PM

DeathAndTaxes
Why not try
C:\vanitygen.exe -k -o file.txt 1
. File file.txt per day increased to ~10 gigabytes. Then simply search this text 1GiGKdNCywjPxdXEg6PbPtXWYNZStFoSfr  at file.txt ? Or the likelihood is too small? (sorry for the noob question, I do not quite understand)

Thank you.
The time to write the file to disk and then read the file to match addresses is more than just matching addresses in memory. At least with a GPU it definitely. I guess on a CPU it may keep up. But why create a file full of unwanted addresses?

Matching a 7 character prefix takes days... Matching 8 takes years...
Matching all 36 takes <---forever--->

Bitcoin wouldn't be much good if you could find a key with anything less than all the computing power in the universe... and I'm just being vague on purpose because the numbers are so huge.

Bitcoin addresses are a 160-bit hash of the ECDSA public key. Given the way Bitcoin's address mechanism works, you don't need to find the exact private key someone else generated, just one that hashes to their address - which is still CRAZY hard but less hard than finding the exact 256 bit private key. How hard?

On a Radeon 5xxx series (the kind a lot of us miners have) you can generate about 23.5 million keys per second. 160 bits of address gives us ~1.46*10^48 possible addresses. At 23.5 million keys per second, it would take you ~6.2*10^40 seconds, a bit under 2*10^33 (that's a 2 followed by 33 zeroes) years to search the entire key space. Realistically you'd probably find your key well before finishing the entire key space, but given that the sun will experience a red giant/white dwarf conversion phenomena in a few billion years and envelop the Earth, but assuming you can become immortal, get to another planet, keep your constituent atoms from decaying along with the rest of the atoms in the universe, and avoid all the black holes everything is collapsing into, you've got about 10^100 years (depending on how accurate our guesses at certain cosmological constants are) to finish calculating all those keys, which is more than enough - assuming you can avoid the heat death of the universe, Bitcoin isn't future proof!

Realistically some breakthrough in tech will invalidate Bitcoin's current encryption schema long before then resulting in a shift to new encryption methods, which isn't that hard to do (as evidenced by the sCrypt() variants out there).

TL;DR: you're entirely unlikely to ever find the privkey of that address with any hardware under any circumstances, ever.
unclemantis (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 08:48:05 PM

Email bounced for contact@firstbits.com

What is this guy's username on here?

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 08:49:01 PM

FreeMoney, IIRC.
unclemantis (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 08:54:55 PM

FreeMoney, IIRC.

PM sent. Thanks!

Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
enmaku

Activity: 742

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 01:13:16 AM

What, exactly, are you going to ask him? If he can change the algorithm that assigns firstbits because you're so super special? It's not a big database that he can just overwrite or something, it's an algorithm that finds the first address in the blockchain matching 1gig* - it's published, widely used and there's a fair chance that even IF firstbits.com would change their copy of the algo just for you, the community would abandon it for another site that adhered to the publicly published standard.

firstbits 1gig is in use, you're not going to change the algorithm, you're not going to brute force the privkey, just choose a different target and move on with life. It's gone man, it's gone.
unclemantis (OP)

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 02:20:02 AM

What, exactly, are you going to ask him? If he can change the algorithm that assigns firstbits because you're so super special? It's not a big database that he can just overwrite or something, it's an algorithm that finds the first address in the blockchain matching 1gig* - it's published, widely used and there's a fair chance that even IF firstbits.com would change their copy of the algo just for you, the community would abandon it for another site that adhered to the publicly published standard.

firstbits 1gig is in use, you're not going to change the algorithm, you're not going to brute force the privkey, just choose a different target and move on with life. It's gone man, it's gone.

Where there is a will there is a way and what ever the way is I will find it!

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Prefix '3GiG' not possible
Hint: valid bitcoin addresses begin with "1"

Are you sure?

How do you explain this address then?

https://blockchain.info/address/3A5XQWZPzG4GrpVeYFaDBZ1s4sXkYB69Wf

But don't let a fact get in the way of a strongly held belief Wink

I'm not understanding how the 3 addresses aren't valid...their relation to op_eval, multisig, hashes of scripts, etc....but by this link it appears to me that a 3 address can both store Bitcoins and transfer them to a 1 address: https://blockchain.info/address/3DLCRW4v2zcMoWfk8HH95JvMtQgCKhgKYt

Now, please, I don't want to be responsible for killing anyone...if you feel you might rupture an intracranial aneurysm, please stop reading and go see an interventional neuroradiologist or neurosurgeon.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 03:31:44 AM

3 addresses ARE valid, but they cannot be created in the same way as a 1 address.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
ErebusBat

Activity: 560

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 03:50:52 PM

Where there is a will there is a way and what ever the way is I will find it!
Please let us know.... I would like to get at pirates wallet.

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 06:29:30 PM

How about variations like 1gig 1Gig 1gIG and the like? I remember there are both ways to find firstbit addresses, and at least one site/service/script does indeed honour capitals..

Mantis, I am very sure you won't reach your goal on the route you are now. Tell us what you have in mind, maybe there are other solutions..

Ente
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 06:32:13 PM

How about variations like 1gig 1Gig 1gIG and the like? I remember there are both ways to find firstbit addresses, and at least one site/service/script does indeed honour capitals..

Mantis, I am very sure you won't reach your goal on the route you are now. Tell us what you have in mind, maybe there are other solutions..

Ente
What site/service is that?  Capitals shouldn't be recognized - it introduces way too much confusion when relaying firstbits.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: