Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 05:31:46 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: DEA Agents in Silk Road Case Face Fraud Charges  (Read 14412 times)
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 06:03:36 PM

FWIW, I'm personally convinced Ulbricht is guilty.  I bet he's going to get a retrial, but I'd bet on him going to jail anyway.  Bitcoin angle aside, Ulbricht is just another crook.  There is absolutely nothing special about him.  He did what crooks do, he got caught like crooks get caught, he's going to jail like crooks go to jail.  

Force and Bridges on the other hand are special.  They are corrupt Lions, and they are the people who are supposed to be taking crooks down.  Police corruption is not merely bad, it's WORSE than anything an ordinary crook can do.  Those guys?  I want them to rot in jail.  Not just for stealing or extortion or bribe-taking or money laundering or all those other ordinary-crook kinds of things that they could and should do time for - although they deserve jail time for that too.  But the horrible thing, the poisonous thing, the thing that absolutely cannot be tolerated in a nation that aspires to be free, is this: I want them to rot in jail for betrayal of the public trust.
TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 06:07:12 PM

I just want to add one little-known detail:

CarlForce is the brother of ArtForz.

Can we get some citation for this?

I hereby cite Tomatocage as Most Gullible (and Legendary) Bitcointalk reader of the month, and it's only the second of the month.

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
galdur

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 06:07:56 PM

Yeah, absolutely thieves belong in jail as does corrupt police. Not much more to say about this affair really.

Good luck, g

ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 07:55:57 PM

FWIW, I'm personally convinced Ulbricht is guilty.  I bet he's going to get a retrial, but I'd bet on him going to jail anyway.  Bitcoin angle aside, Ulbricht is just another crook.  There is absolutely nothing special about him.  He did what crooks do, he got caught like crooks get caught, he's going to jail like crooks go to jail.  

Force and Bridges on the other hand are special.  They are corrupt Lions, and they are the people who are supposed to be taking crooks down.  Police corruption is not merely bad, it's WORSE than anything an ordinary crook can do.  Those guys?  I want them to rot in jail.  Not just for stealing or extortion or bribe-taking or money laundering or all those other ordinary-crook kinds of things that they could and should do time for - although they deserve jail time for that too.  But the horrible thing, the poisonous thing, the thing that absolutely cannot be tolerated in a nation that aspires to be free, is this: I want them to rot in jail for betrayal of the public trust.

+1!

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 08:22:59 PM

Bolded-
Interesting, because what Ulbricht did is against the law, you just throw him under the bus with all the other "criminals". Ross did what he did because the war on drugs was killing and hurting way more people than it helped (for starters). It was hurting the planet. It enriched the wrong people and governments, a tax on the poor. He sure wasn't living a kingpin lifestyle and a quick view at the life he lived showed he was a great guy by every account. So, he created a website which allowed people to freely trade whatever they wanted. Yeah, lots of it was drugs, lots of those were legal drugs without prescriptions (I hear).

To side with law because it is law, removes ones ability to think. And it is not such a crazy thing to say. The war on drugs is a HUGE failure and it was designed to be, it is a war against people and their consciousness. Cannabis looks to be going full legal over the next few years and our government is being forced to compassionately and rationally reconsider these archaic laws. The silk road brought down violence by all accounts. Silk Road(s) are not actually needed, but they are just speeding up the inevitable legalization of drugs, breaking the corrupt monopolies that certain... groups possess.

BTW - From every account, Ross sure is special in many peoples opinions. You can see it here, on Reddit, on podcasts, etc.

Its about sharing

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2015, 08:40:32 PM

Every day the United States government has less legitimacy in authority, less legitimacy in the use of violence against any individual. How long until we get our Mohamed Bouazizi?

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
bigasic

Activity: 924

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 09:12:08 PM

I agree, I think Russ will get a new trial, but the results will be close to the same, he may get of on one or two counts, but probably not. Russ did what he did way before Carl and the shaun were dirty. Russ is guilty, imho, but the baltimore case and NY case were totally separate, they collaberated every once in a while, but most of the time, they did their own thing. (ive read pretty much every document released) Carls main job was to be DPR's friend and a mafioso type person, hence the murder for hire, but from what I read, when dpr wanted to do the first murder for hire, Carl just asked what he need to be done, he didn't push him one way or another, so I also think that the murder for hire charge in baltimore still may stick, although its not as cut and dry as it was before carl went rogue..
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 10:26:44 PM

I just want to add one little-known detail:

CarlForce is the brother of ArtForz.

Can we get some citation for this?

I hereby cite Tomatocage as Most Gullible (and Legendary) Bitcointalk reader of the month, and it's only the second of the month.

lol dammit!

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2015, 03:09:49 AM

At which point is the suspension of disbelief too much?
iGotSpots
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054

CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2015, 04:23:01 AM

Been following this for a while now. Pretty crazy story and I have a feeling it's just begun. Will be interesting to see the movie in a few years   Smiley

bluespaceant

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 10:40:30 AM
Last edit: April 03, 2015, 11:01:02 AM by bluespaceant

Hello all!

I'm new to Bitcoin Talk but I am a CPA who has over 20 years of financial experience.  

Also, I am very knowledgeable about Bitcoin!  I am here to help with your bookkeeping, income tax preparation, investments,  legal and tax advice,  etc.

Please feel free to contact me carlmforce@msn.com.

I look forward to supporting the Bitcoin community.

Thanks,

Carl

I have been a licensed CPA since 1996 and have 20 years of experience in the financial industries.  Also, I have significant experience with Bitcoin (especially legal issues) and contacts with the U.S. Secret Service, HSI, and IRS - Criminal Investigations.

Best way to contact me is at carlmforce@msn.com.

I accept payment in Bitcoin Smiley
cadaf

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 10:53:23 AM

Hacked by "rogue secret service agent"

lmao
sAt0sHiFanClub

Activity: 546

Warning: Confrmed Gavinista

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2015, 10:56:56 AM

Hello all!

I'm new to Bitcoin Talk but I am a CPA who has over 20 years of financial experience.  

Also, I am very knowledgeable about Bitcoin!  I am here to help with your bookkeeping, income tax preparation, investments,  legal and tax advice,  etc.

Please feel free to contact me carlmforce@msn.com.

I look forward to supporting the Bitcoin community.

Thanks,

Carl

All his posts were soliciting for business. But the crowdfunding reference ( since gone) would have been fun to look at!!

We must make money worse as a commodity if we wish to make it better as a medium of exchange
timk225

Activity: 955
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 01:47:10 PM

Ross Ulbricht may get some jail time, but it shouldn't be 30 years.  Maybe a year or two.

Yes, he created Silk Road, but he never possessed any of the drugs for sale on it (probably), and he didn't buy the drugs (again, probably).  He merely facilitated a way for others to buy and sell drugs and made some nice coin on the side from sales commissions.

Those people would have bought and sold their drugs one way or another even if Silk Road never existed.  So putting Ulbricht in jail does not serve justice or help anyone.   Aside from making a website that specialized in drug sales, he didn't actually do anything wrong.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 02:19:38 PM

Ross Ulbricht may get some jail time, but it shouldn't be 30 years.  Maybe a year or two.

Yes, he created Silk Road, but he never possessed any of the drugs for sale on it (probably), and he didn't buy the drugs (again, probably).  He merely facilitated a way for others to buy and sell drugs and made some nice coin on the side from sales commissions.

Those people would have bought and sold their drugs one way or another even if Silk Road never existed.  So putting Ulbricht in jail does not serve justice or help anyone.   Aside from making a website that specialized in drug sales, he didn't actually do anything wrong.

You're right, other than facilitating international illegal drug distribution he didn't actually do anything wrong. He's no worse than a mule that brings drugs to the U.S from Mexico. It's not like he was selling the drugs. Why are they being so hard on him?

Whitehouse

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 02:28:11 PM

Lol. Charlie Shrem got a couple of years and his charges were minute in comparison. He'll be lucky to get anything under 20 years. His only hope is if they can prove wrongdoing by the feds on an appeal.

Yes, he created Silk Road, but he never possessed any of the drugs for sale on it (probably), and he didn't buy the drugs (again, probably).

Wrong. According to his own diary he kept he was the very first seller on there selling shrooms he grew.

Not quite. I think you need to read up on the case and the charges against him. He also allegedly facilitated or helped to organize certain big drug deals. There's also the murder for hire charges and money laundering etc.

duke1839

Activity: 143
Merit: 104

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 04:57:06 PM
Last edit: April 03, 2015, 06:25:32 PM by duke1839

Ross Ulbricht may get some jail time, but it shouldn't be 30 years.  Maybe a year or two.

Lol. Charlie Shrem got a couple of years and his charges were minute in comparison. He'll be lucky to get anything under 20 years. His only hope is if they can prove wrongdoing by the feds on an appeal.

Charlie Shrem did nothing wrong.  Ross Ulbricht did nothing wrong.  The burden of proof is not on the accused.  We are all supposed to be presumed innocent.

Yes, he created Silk Road, but he never possessed any of the drugs for sale on it (probably), and he didn't buy the drugs (again, probably).

Wrong. According to his own diary he kept he was the very first seller on there selling shrooms he grew.

Growing and selling a fungus shouldn't be a crime no matter what politicians say.

Those people would have bought and sold their drugs one way or another even if Silk Road never existed.  So putting Ulbricht in jail does not serve justice or help anyone.   Aside from making a website that specialized in drug sales, he didn't actually do anything wrong.

Not quite. I think you need to read up on the case and the charges against him. He also allegedly facilitated or helped to organize certain big drug deals. There's also the murder for hire charges and money laundering etc.

We now know why the murder for hire charges were dropped.  It turns out they were facilitated by a DEA agent (allegedly) to cover up his own theft of bitcoins.  This jury would have blindly found Ulbricht guilty on any charge that was put in front of them so I always wondered why they didn't just include the murder for hire charge as well.  Now we know.  Ross Ulbricht should have never been tried in the first place let alone serve jail time.  All the evidence against him is tainted.  The only reason he is in jail is because the government wanted to save face and put someone in jail in this high profile case.  They knew they were going to have egg on their face but they wanted to have at least a scalp to point to as a victory that made it all worthwhile.  Incarceration is a racket that punishes both prisoners and taxpayers.  Only the most dangerous of criminals need to be incarcerated.  Not Charlie Shrem nor Ross Ulbricht.

1839REgeNTM2b84byywinp3BjtWdEqw27x
iGotSpots
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054

CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2015, 05:54:08 PM

I'm torn on this one. He's being made an example of, which sucks for him. I do think it's a bit harsh, though, even for the 'poster child,' but they don't really care at this point. In a few years, he may get softened up on, depending what happens with other people involved. This entire situation just keeps getting crazier and crazier. The rabbit hole is deep as fuck

sAt0sHiFanClub

Activity: 546

Warning: Confrmed Gavinista

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2015, 06:08:03 PM

Wow. Those Sunni extremist nutjobs could do with a guy like you.  Growing something  = Jail time.  How very enlightened.

As for the hit for hire shit, don't you think that fact that the DEA guy involved has been arrested for stealing and trying to do a runner to Algeria might have taken some of the shine off that particular gem of US jurisprudence?  Even a little?   Hmmm??  Huh Huh

Edit:  Sorry, replied before seeing duke1839 response,  substitute above with '^this  Grin"

We must make money worse as a commodity if we wish to make it better as a medium of exchange
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 06:23:05 PM

What confuses me about Ross isn't whether he was sentenced to life or got off completely free. Ross strikes me as a pretty bright kid. He must have known that the Christian Puritan laws in this country would eventually catch up with him because he wasn't 12 years old and tried to hide his identity. He's not a martyr because he did try very hard to hide his real identity. Martyrs usually want everyone to know who they are and don't mind taking a bullet for the team. What confuses me is why this bright kid didn't leave America to run his illegal business? Why stay in the Christian Lions jaws waiting for the eventual bite? Makes no sense to me.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: