Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 03:04:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Summer Bubble  (Read 5274 times)
BoardGameCoin

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 04:51:54 AM

While I agree stability is ultimately desirable, I believe the price needs to go up significantly for the market to sustain certain kinds of activity (e.g. settlement between significantly sized accounts globally). Having BTCUSD < $1000 puts serious limits on the kind of activity that can occur in the market. I'm really not interested in stability until that level, and I do view buying below that level as a long-term good bet. Even at that level, the total bitcoin monetary base would be worth $21 billion, which still leaves some room for gradual growth.

I'm selling great Minion Games like The Manhattan Project, Kingdom of Solomon and Venture Forth at 4% off retail starting June 2012. PM me or go to my thread in the Marketplace if you're interested.

For Settlers/Dominion/Carcassone etc., I do email gift cards on Amazon for a 5% fee. PM if you're interested.
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 04:56:57 AM

Oh no m8! I didn't sell. I'm one of the "primitive btc users", actually those bubbles makes me temporarily rich.  Grin
The problem is that they hurt hard the market, by market I mean REAL economy markets, and not a bunch of "wizards" gathering at Hogwarts as speculators are, which relies more in a stable currency than what value the currency itself helds.

You have a point, but if we ever stuck in $5s  it will stay as a nerdy-small-niche thing. Now here is a scenario, what do you think happens when some one of few are ready to put in serious cash in it?  By the looks of it there is a rush among 2 or more new big players, and they are in acquisition mode, there is nothing else except going up while rest of the world learns more about Bitcoin from media and people talking about it. It was bound to happen.  $50 million market cap is just too unsustainable for a global currency
BCEmporium (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1218

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 05:03:55 AM

Sure, but being stable doesn't mean being frozen. A steady uptrend is more desirable than these bumps. Have it at 5 and 2 months later at 7, 2 months later 9, etc, is normal and good, but have it going up 100%+ in one month, knowing it will be "corrected" shortly after, isn't. Merchants may be now selling their wares for 10 BTC (130 USD) and restock next month with BTC @, let's say, 7 or 8 USD, so they've sold that for only 70 or 80 USD, and this is a problem, unless they run to exchange it to fiat, but then we will never have a bitcoin economy but a "bitcoin paypal" instead.

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
  TRUE BLOCKCHAIN GAMING PLATFORM 
DECENTRALISED AUTONOMOUS UNIVERSES

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
BoardGameCoin

Activity: 283

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 05:11:48 AM

A bitcoin paypal is good enough for the economy for the time being, particularly if merchants store off a small amount of btc as a speculative store of value. The net effect would be a lot of price support at any level, leaving the door wide open for a market cornering that drives the price up to reasonable levels. I believe we're starting to see this exact effect on a small scale right now. I do think we need another stable period to get more exchange-rate following price support, but I doubt that'll happen until somewhere in the $20-$100 range.

I'm selling great Minion Games like The Manhattan Project, Kingdom of Solomon and Venture Forth at 4% off retail starting June 2012. PM me or go to my thread in the Marketplace if you're interested.

For Settlers/Dominion/Carcassone etc., I do email gift cards on Amazon for a 5% fee. PM if you're interested.
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 05:18:43 AM

Sure, but being stable doesn't mean being frozen. A steady uptrend is more desirable than these bumps. Have it at 5 and 2 months later at 7, 2 months later 9, etc, is normal and good, but have it going up 100%+ in one month, knowing it will be "corrected" shortly after, isn't. Merchants may be now selling their wares for 10 BTC (130 USD) and restock next month with BTC @, let's say, 7 or 8 USD, so they've sold that for only 70 or 80 USD, and this is a problem, unless they run to exchange it to fiat, but then we will never have a bitcoin economy but a "bitcoin paypal" instead.

https://twitter.com/kevinrose/status/235266398899810304
http://www.avc.com/a_vc/2012/08/bitcoin-update.html

and there is more stuff out in the media and else where

gotta act quick while it is still under appreciated. I agree with you on stable slow growth, but it isn't going to work with inflow of new people, there will be period of rush, volatility and what have you while Bitcoin still being discovered.
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 05:46:24 AM

ah, the ol' summer bubble.  i remember the summer bubble of the '05 housing market. personally i see a direct correlation between the rise of the coin and the dark knight rises.   has to be the real reason.
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 06:30:55 AM

I think we are seeing a sort of Summer Bubble. But more importantly, we are seeing the true value of Bitcoin. I think it's starting to click in everyone's mind that Bitcoin is here to stay. Yes, the demand is going up bit cause... well, it's Summer. But I think it's a bit of "Hey man, Bitcoin's here to stay. I want some. This is a smart investment."

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 11:04:20 AM

Oh no m8! I didn't sell. I'm one of the "primitive btc users", actually those bubbles makes me temporarily rich.  Grin
The problem is that they hurt hard the market, by market I mean REAL economy markets, and not a bunch of "wizards" gathering at Hogwarts as speculators are, which relies more in a stable currency than what value the currency itself helds.

Don't worry: the speculators who cause unnecessary instability lose money on average.

I don't think it's fair to just talk about "speculators" as if they're all one and the same. Ultimately, it's speculators who provide liquidity, allowing larger players to move in and out of Bitcoin quickly and easily. But it needs much more time.

No reason to panic or blame Bitcoin. We can stabilize this beast eventually. Not overnight though.
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 11:21:30 AM

There is not enough summers to make any conclusions about anything. Personally I believe the time of the year is 100% coincidence. Although the time between these two mega rallies might have significance. The original time was mostly due to Silk Road and the first boom, it was a complete coincidence that it was the Summer. Now it has been 1 year and maybe that has significance in itself.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Jointops420

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 11:38:25 AM

Its only summer on half the globe.
matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 12:12:53 PM

Its only summer on half the globe.

Yeah the vastly mostly populated half.

SpontaneousDisorder

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 12:34:58 PM

I think btc is volatile because of its tiny capitalisation. And because of its sometimes immature userbase.  Wink
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 12:42:10 PM

Any merchant who doesn't update their prices more than once a month probably shouldn't be a merchant ... for a lot of reasons.

It is pretty easy for a merchant to support dynamic prices in BTC so they get the same amount of fiat currency to rebuy inventory.  Hell bitpay is even clever enough to allow a merchant to take 85% in fiat and 15% in BTC so they can pay the bills and still have some long exposure to bitcoin.
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 12:45:27 PM

Any merchant who doesn't update their prices more than once a month probably shouldn't be a merchant ... for a lot of reasons.

It is pretty easy for a merchant to support dynamic prices in BTC so they get the same amount of fiat currency to rebuy inventory.  Hell bitpay is even clever enough to allow a merchant to take 85% in fiat and 15% in BTC so they can pay the bills and still have some long exposure to bitcoin.

Yup, the good folks at Bitpay have dealt with the volatility issue for merchants IMO. They just need to get the word out more.
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 02:04:58 PM

While I agree stability is ultimately desirable, I believe the price needs to go up significantly for the market to sustain certain kinds of activity (e.g. settlement between significantly sized accounts globally). Having BTCUSD < $1000 puts serious limits on the kind of activity that can occur in the market. I'm really not interested in stability until that level, and I do view buying below that level as a long-term good bet. Even at that level, the total bitcoin monetary base would be worth $21 billion, which still leaves some room for gradual growth.

+1

But that monetary base isn't garanteed :/
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 04:37:26 PM

It's hard to know if this a pattern with only two examples. If it happens next year then I may look at strategies to profit from such a phenomena.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 05:12:06 PM

"Summer bubble had me a blast.

Summer bubble happened so fast.

I met a Coin crazy for me.

Met a USD cute as can be.

Summer highs driftin' away, to uh-oh those summer lows."

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
anu
Legendary

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 05:51:26 PM

It's hard to know if this a pattern with only two examples. If it happens next year then I may look at strategies to profit from such a phenomena.

There may be a difference to last time: Last time there were a lot of early adopters cashing out - probably wanting to buy a Porsche, which is understandable. So the bubble burst.

Now it seems most early adopters are pretty much empty. They may have kept a few 1000, but the only "early adopter" I know of who has significant amounts is Satoshi himself.

If that is correct, we can expect a slow rise, maybe with temporal set backs. But a pattern entirely different from last year. But no more crashing. I think we will never again see single $ digits.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
Electricbees

Activity: 322

We are bees, and we hate you.

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 10:15:57 AM

Winter is coming...

You're such a northern-hemispherian....
This is very true... In a state of the 50, which experiences two seasons. Winter, and Construction.

On an on-topic note, this massive spike in price is officially starting to scare me. Someone get Proudhon in here to talk everyone down from their rally-highs...

Donations are welcome!
1BEES19ds5gEnRBoU1qNFPfjRXe94trMG3
salty

Activity: 562
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 10:39:54 AM

"Summer bubble had me a blast.

Summer bubble happened so fast.

I met a Coin crazy for me.

Met a USD cute as can be.

Summer highs driftin' away, to uh-oh those summer lows."

A wella wella wella ...

Tell me more tell me more did your sell go too far?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: