Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:04:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Project will be making a major announcement in September  (Read 53357 times)
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 12:58:15 PM

Iran and China are pricing their Oil trades in BTC?  Grin

I dig this  Grin

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DutchBrat

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 12:59:49 PM

Gavin = Pirate = Satoshi

Q.E.D.
labestiol

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 01:09:26 PM

At first i thought it was just multisig ui, which will for sure contribute to stability.
But now my brain don't want to stop thinking about what it would be (you're mean Charlie... how am I going to sleep now ?)

It's apparently related to regulation. I really like the idea that it would be recognized as a currency by some country, and clearly Iceland is a good candidate.
If we go further on that, why not an announce of the Icelandic central bank that they will purchase some bitcoins (putting a floor on the market, that would be stability).

1BestioLC7YBVh8Q5LfH6RYURD6MrpP8y6
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 01:11:43 PM

I'm not gonna say what the announcement is....but I will say that you are all wrong and no one is even close lol (Well...some of you were kinda close)

-Charlie
You mentioned something once before I think, about a surprise that will change what people think the government thinks of bitcoins... so I'll guess its some sort of basis for bitcoin being protected legally

Ok, I take it back. Your the closest. Nuff said, Im gonna get shot for saying this much.

Hmmm, the Mint Chip Challenge closes on in 38 days. Thats on the 24th of September. "Buying bitcoin with Mint Chips" is still highest voted:
http://ideas.mintchipchallenge.com/?utf8=%E2%9C%93&search=&order=comment

Maybe the Canadian government will make digital currencies legal, thus including bitcoin.
Although I know "Mint Chip" is not its own currency, but rather a wallet for digitized CAD, any attempt to lodge a new law that prepares Canada's authorities for the monetary future could include a definition for "real" virtual currencies just like that.
axus

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 01:28:30 PM

Julian Assange will be digitized and smuggled out of the UK in the blockchain?

Grin Grin Grin
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 02:06:08 PM

Sounds like there could be a legal judgement of some kind in favor of Bitcoin.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 02:10:55 PM

If we go further on that, why not an announce of the Icelandic central bank that they will purchase some bitcoins (putting a floor on the market, that would be stability).

Indeed. Any small economic nation looking to invest in assets right now couldn't go far wrong Tongue

Edit: assuming whichever hypothetical minnow of a central bank hasn't been building up the reserves for some time already...

Vires in numeris
Inedible

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 02:59:49 PM

Bitcoin technology is going to be used to start a government sponsored block chain run by Blackwater.

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
WiseOldOwl

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 03:08:32 PM
Last edit: August 22, 2012, 03:55:52 PM by WiseOldOwl

Kim Dotcom will launch a new file/music/whatever sharing service that uses bitcoin as the currency of choice Cheesy

Iceland will start a trial where they accept tax payments denominated in Bitcoin, just to spite London for harbouring all those convicted criminal bankers.
Both of those would be awesome. Keep dreamin' - though Iceland is small enough that maybe government support and gradual introduction may be feasible as a secondary currency.

Iceland don't have a lot of international obligations if I remember rightly, could indeed be a geniune likelihood

I saw this and couldnt help but notify you all that back in my bitcoin exchange days i directly contacted the icelandic ministry of banking (im not looking up the real name right now) and spoke with them about bitcoin. I needed a bank system that wouldnt shun me away for running a bitcoin to fiat business. Iceland is the place for this period. The combo of tech savy people and their banking situation makes it a perfect haven for bitcoin business if properly cultivated. It was to early I believe, but could be done easier now.

now back into the shadows I go.

EDIT : here is this too bring you up to speed      http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Iceland_says_NO_to_Debt-Slavery
paulie_w

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 03:24:25 PM

out of curiosity, how can we have "surprises" here? it is an open source project, shouldn't whatever is coming be on the roadmap already?
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 03:26:55 PM

out of curiosity, how can we have "surprises" here? it is an open source project, shouldn't whatever is coming be on the roadmap already?
Someone said it wasn't an change in the code.

So... let's wait
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 03:47:22 PM

There will be no big announcement.  It is a pump 'n dump.    Tongue
scomil (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 03:56:18 PM

Seems likely that the announcement will be made during Bitcoin Conference, London 15-16, September 2012.

http://bitcoin2012.com/

For those of you speculating about Iceland. Looking at the list of speakers, we have - Birgitta Jónsdóttir, member of the Icelandic Parliament. She is also the spokesperson and main sponsor for the International Modern Media Institute.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_Modern_Media_Initiative

Reading through the the Elements of the law, it seems Iceland might be the one civilized country that will act to protect the bitcoin network, as opposed to doing everything to overthrow and disrupt it.

We have the people of Iceland to thank for setting precedent by throwing out the bondholders in 08/09 and rewriting their constitution.

http://theguardianeyewitness.tumblr.com/post/749345738/protest-at-icelandic-premiers-residence

Lets hope the pieces fit the puzzle. Either way, Birgitta Jónsdóttirs speech should be interesting.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 04:08:55 PM

Seems likely that the announcement will be made during Bitcoin Conference, London 15-16, September 2012.

For those of you speculating about Iceland. Looking at the list of speakers, we have - Birgitta Jónsdóttir, member of the Icelandic Parliament. She is also the spokesperson and main sponsor for the International Modern Media Institute.

Reading through the the Elements of the law, it seems Iceland might be the one civilized country that will act to protect the bitcoin network, as opposed to doing everything to overthrow and disrupt it.

We have the people of Iceland to thank for setting precedent by throwing out the bondholders in 08/09 and rewriting their constitution.

http://theguardianeyewitness.tumblr.com/post/749345738/protest-at-icelandic-premiers-residence

Lets hope the pieces fit the puzzle. Either way, Birgitta Jónsdóttirs speech should be interesting.

Hmm, do you know something we don't scomil?  Smiley

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 04:12:29 PM

+1. Outspoken protection of the bitcoin network by an official government representative would indeed add to the longterm stability of the project. It provides a "safe" haven". Not that bitcoin would need one, but its still good to know that it would be an officially accepted payment type in the "real" world.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 04:13:42 PM

Maybe they are working with bitcoin card and will release it.
barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 04:20:03 PM

I think this has zero chance of ever happening to Bitcoin, but if a country declares something to be its official currency, I believe that means you don't have to pay capital gains taxes on that thing. For example, if you transfer dollars to sterling, the value of sterling goes up, and then you transfer back to dollars, you don't have to pay taxes on the gain because sterling is an official national currency. IANAL.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
dust

Activity: 840

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 04:22:59 PM

I think this has zero chance of ever happening to Bitcoin, but if a country declares something to be its official currency, I believe that means you don't have to pay capital gains taxes on that thing. For example, if you transfer dollars to sterling, the value of sterling goes up, and then you transfer back to dollars, you don't have to pay taxes on the gain because sterling is an official national currency. IANAL.
I'm fairly certain this is not true, at least in the US.

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
drakahn

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 04:23:33 PM

Here in AU I am pretty sure any capital gain (even if its unrealised) is Taxable... I also ANAL... (oh lol)

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 05:06:37 PM

I think this has zero chance of ever happening to Bitcoin, but if a country declares something to be its official currency,[...]

Think for a second.  Who cares if bitcoin is a country's official currency?  Bitcoin use need only be protected by law in a certain country to gain added legitimacy...

An affirmative law saying "yes, bitcoin is legal" would be wonderful, would it not?

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: