Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 04:47:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Discussion about 10,000BTC Bet (Official)  (Read 104432 times)
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 04:33:52 PM

I think the irony is that this bet, which was initially started in an attempt to teach those who were overly vocal and eager to accuse something of being a scam, will end up showing that when a large group of people with possible knowledge of a topic warn you about it, you REALLY should listen, lest you lose out twice, first on being involved with the thing they warned you about, and second with trying to show you know better that those with actual knowledge/experience.

And regarding Chaang, if Pirate has the money to pay back -everyone-, then what can Chaang Noi possibly do to prevent that?
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Coin.Karma

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 04:36:58 PM

Mathew I know you regard any serious questions from me as trolling, but are you implying that pirate hasn't paid everyone back because Chaang Noi threw a spanner in the works to win his bet against you?

No. I'm implying that Chaang Noi is actively working -against- pirate paying out, throwing as many spanners, and attempting to convince others to throw -their- spanners in as well, in an attempt to sabotage my bet. Yes. I have witnesses-- the people he tried to convince to do his dirty bidding. Chaang Noi is not the reason why Pirate is not paying back -anyone-, he's the reason why pirate -can't- pay back -everyone-. I'll repeat-- He's actively working against Pirate at every turn so that I will lose my bet. I wonder how the community thinks about that as a "fair" bet.

Don't worry though, it would take Pirate paying back everyone -except- Chaang Noi shills for me to consider that as an excuse to call the bet a farce.

not that I know goat, but I just have this feeling about him delaying things, its pretty weird what he keeps doing such things...never really trustable, looks at any oppurtunity to capitalize on without consideration for others...kind of weird attitudes...............
Blind

Activity: 235

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 05:21:36 PM

I feel like this community would speculate why an ant walks the way he walks if you were bored enough.

Community is currently speculating how this ant which had all its legs torn off, is going to walk in 3 days time to win the bet.

Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem. -- Ronald Reagan
bigasic

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 05:33:51 PM

I think the irony is that this bet, which was initially started in an attempt to teach those who were overly vocal and eager to accuse something of being a scam, will end up showing that when a large group of people with possible knowledge of a topic warn you about it, you REALLY should listen, lest you lose out twice, first on being involved with the thing they warned you about, and second with trying to show you know better that those with actual knowledge/experience.

And regarding Chaang, if Pirate has the money to pay back -everyone-, then what can Chaang Noi possibly do to prevent that?

+1

You took the words out of my mouth...
Draino

Activity: 168

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 05:35:39 PM

I feel like this community would speculate why an ant walks the way he walks if you were bored enough.

Community is currently speculating how this ant which had all its legs torn off, is going to walk in 3 days time to win the bet.

i just got a creepy omen feeling, so i'd like to say:

in case mr. wright's peculiar behaviour isn't ego-mania but is bipolar-mania; if you do lose the bet and your mood crashes

please, don't do anything.. drastic
gene

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 05:38:00 PM

Ahem...

First, your scenario can't avoid a technical default, since he already *has* technically defaulted.
Agreed. Pirate actually defaulted on Monday.

But in the terms of his bet with Vandroiy he has two weeks grace. And in the terms of Matthew's bet he has three weeks grace.

I can't wait to see how the "terms" of those bets will morph.

Last I heard assets with pirate exposure were still selling for 80% of face value. Anyone have an update?

24h average on the GLBSE is at ~50%.

I am shocked it is that high.

It can't go lower than that while Matthew is offering even odds on a default. Assuming an investor has the cash available and trusts Matthew, he can get 50% of his "investment" back by simply making a bet with Matthew for 50% of his exposure.

Big assumption there. Could just as likely lose everything.

Either matthew is unwell (if he is crazy, then we shouldn't be taking advantage of him) or he has some special knowledge. Or he never intended to pay out (as suggested by his vague terms).

In any case, this wager has failed the smell test since day 0.

*processing payment* *error 404 : funds not found*
Do you want to complain on the forum just to fall for another scam a few days later?
| YES       |        YES |
P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 05:38:54 PM

He's actively working against Pirate at every turn so that I will lose my bet. I wonder how the community thinks about that as a "fair" bet.

Completely fair. If for some reason I cant imagine, Pirate's ability to pay back his loans depended on Goat, then I would have tenfolded my bet. However, if its only stalling and pirate pays back everything he owes plus interest later, let me be on record as saying I will refund you my wager as if you had won.

edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 05:38:59 PM

in case mr. wright's peculiar behaviour isn't ego-mania but is bipolar-mania; if you do lose the bet and your mood crashes

His death has already been broadcast all over Korean television. How much more drastic can you get?

Still around.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 05:39:41 PM

His death has already been broadcast all over Korean television. How much more drastic can you get?

+1

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 05:45:09 PM

Not very PC mate. Also Mathew "faggot" Huh?!!!! it's 2012 mate you can't say things like that!

I missed this comment earlier. Sir, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that word. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(unit)

thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 06:04:49 PM

Mathew I know you regard any serious questions from me as trolling, but are you implying that pirate hasn't paid everyone back because Chaang Noi threw a spanner in the works to win his bet against you?

No. I'm implying that Chaang Noi is actively working -against- pirate paying out, throwing as many spanners, and attempting to convince others to throw -their- spanners in as well, in an attempt to sabotage my bet. Yes. I have witnesses-- the people he tried to convince to do his dirty bidding. Chaang Noi is not the reason why Pirate is not paying back -anyone-, he's the reason why pirate -can't- pay back -everyone-. I'll repeat-- He's actively working against Pirate at every turn so that I will lose my bet. I wonder how the community thinks about that as a "fair" bet.

Matthew you need a cereal box education.  As in read the box in the morning as you eat your bowl of candy-coated wheat.  You see that promotion?  See the part where it says "Not open to P&G employees or its affiliates"?  Maybe you should consider WHY that might be printed there...

When you agreed to a non-trivial bet against people who are to some degree affiliated with BST you essentially guaranteed that they would be working towards a payout on the 10th.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 06:08:19 PM

Matthew you need a cereal box education.  As in read the box in the morning as you eat your bowl of candy-coated wheat.  You see that promotion?  See the part where it says "Not open to P&G employees or its affiliates"?  Maybe you should consider WHY that might be printed there...

When you agreed to a non-trivial bet against people who are to some degree affiliated with BST you essentially guaranteed that they would be working towards a payout on the 10th.

Your post.  It needs fixing.
Duderin0

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 06:16:31 PM

What? I like big ponies.

LOL Bronyes!
Hexadecibel
Human Intranet Liason
VIP

Activity: 571
Merit: 504

I still <3 u Satoshi

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 06:25:15 PM

This a pony thread now?...lol

@fluttershy there are aspects of every fandom that you are not going to like... Take bitcoin for instance and long term lending...

thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 06:35:08 PM
Last edit: September 06, 2012, 08:26:10 PM by thezerg

Matthew you need a cereal box education.  As in read the box in the morning as you eat your bowl of candy-coated wheat.  You see that promotion?  See the part where it says "Not open to P&G employees or its affiliates"?  Maybe you should consider WHY that might be printed there...

Your post.  It needs fixing.

No, the double score for people who "invested" with Pirate and bet against Matthew is when Matthew loses the bet on the 9th, and Pirate pays out on the 10th.  (Not saying I think Pirate will ever pay...)

[EDIT] of course if you assume the players really thought all this out it becomes quite a "wall street" like drama.  It implies M had a deal and relationship with P that he believed is stronger that of P to the PPT ops.  This is one reason why I didn't bet (another reason is that betting is fundamentally zero-sum -- it does not create value like normal economic activity). 

But getting back to reality -- naw, I don't think these guys really thought it all through  Smiley  I think we're just seeing M's flashy exit from the bitcoin community.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 06:45:58 PM

2500 BTC
19FdGp8LcFFfpZxEXpTs9GC3J7eW2k9UG2
no comment.

Accept it?
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 06:50:49 PM

2500 BTC
19FdGp8LcFFfpZxEXpTs9GC3J7eW2k9UG2
no comment.

Accept it?

Sure!

peasant

Activity: 272
Merit: 250

Cryptopreneur

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 06:56:31 PM

Ouch! Just don't know who's gonna get hurt. I will laugh my ass off if Pirate pays at the last minute and all of his haters that bet get fleeced.  Cheesy
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 06:57:51 PM

Ouch! Just don't know who's gonna get hurt. I will laugh my ass off if Pirate pays at the last minute and all of his haters that bet get fleeced.  Cheesy

Shhh. You're scaring away the pigeons.

c0in$

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 07:19:04 PM

Which PPT is the one that did not provide the requested information?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 »
  Print  

Jump to: