Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 11:29:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Kraken Accepting MtGox Bankruptcy Claims  (Read 8274 times)
Eastfist

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2015, 09:42:07 PM

Kraken is out to steal your credentials and bitcoins. My understanding is they're just passing the funds back and forth between themselves. If you put money into Mt. Gox, you're most likely never going to see it again. Don't think Kraken will reimburse you for it. They say so right in their disclaimer.
hmblm1245

Activity: 628
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 10:19:44 PM

Kraken is out to steal your credentials and bitcoins. My understanding is they're just passing the funds back and forth between themselves. If you put money into Mt. Gox, you're most likely never going to see it again. Don't think Kraken will reimburse you for it. They say so right in their disclaimer.

Where are you getting this information?
My understanding is they're just passing the funds back and forth between themselves.
Bagatell

Activity: 722

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 06:28:58 AM

Where are you getting this information?

His arse. /ignored.
Eastfist

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2015, 06:43:46 AM

LOL. You're going to regret being ignorant.
WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 08:41:50 AM

Without any source or logic of how you come to this conclusion its just 1 random guy on the internets crazy opinion which seems like a troll.  Please dont do that
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 08:47:31 AM

So as of when can we make claims to get out bitcoin back?
It seems impossible that Kraken will be able to cover the full amount, as that would cost them 600,000BTC or $135million, but I would be pretty happy to get 25-50% back depending upon how much was recovered.

It still seems odd to me that 200k were found straight away, yet apparently nothing has been found since, but they still havent really showed where it went either.  This is exactly what the blockchain is for!
WhatTheGox
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 08:52:57 AM

It seems impossible that Kraken will be able to cover the full amount, as that would cost them 600,000BTC or $135million, but I would be pretty happy to get 25-50% back depending upon how much was recovered.

It still seems odd to me that 200k were found straight away, yet apparently nothing has been found since, but they still havent really showed where it went either.  This is exactly what the blockchain is for!

Dude you aren't getting 25-50% as the kraken CEO has already pointed out, but yeah no idea why we cant know the full details at this point.  Apparently the hope of finding the other coins is almost zero so giving information to public now isn't going to hurt any investigation.
NUFCrichard
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 08:57:59 AM

Dude you aren't getting 25-50% as the kraken CEO has already pointed out, but yeah no idea why we cant know the full details at this point.  Apparently the hope of finding the other coins is almost zero so giving information to public now isn't going to hurt any investigation.

How do they justify not giving us at least 25%?  They recovered 25% of the bitcoins, surely they need to be given back to the people who actually owned them...

Otherwise the deal sounds like this - Kraken kindly accepts 200,000BTC from Gox, then offers to reimburse less than 200,000BTC to the customers, essentially stealing some of the customers coins, then they want us to be happy that they have restored faith in Bitcoin... not sure about that one.
Amph (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 09:04:28 AM

It still seems odd to me that 200k were found straight away, yet apparently nothing has been found since, but they still havent really showed where it went either.  This is exactly what the blockchain is for!

Dude you aren't getting 25-50% as the kraken CEO has already pointed out, but yeah no idea why we cant know the full details at this point.  Apparently the hope of finding the other coins is almost zero so giving information to public now isn't going to hurt any investigation.

How do they justify not giving us at least 25%?  They recovered 25% of the bitcoins, surely they need to be given back to the people who actually owned them...

Otherwise the deal sounds like this - Kraken kindly accepts 200,000BTC from Gox, then offers to reimburse less than 200,000BTC to the customers, essentially stealing some of the customers coins, then they want us to be happy that they have restored faith in Bitcoin... not sure about that one.

maybe they will use the rest for cover their offers about free fee ecc..., which still sounds unfair to be honest
WhatTheGox
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 10:32:37 AM

How do they justify not giving us at least 25%?  They recovered 25% of the bitcoins, surely they need to be given back to the people who actually owned them...

Dont know i always thought i would be getting around 25%.  Right now i would be worried i'd get something lame like 15%.  Much money has been wasted with all the time gone by, silly things like unnecessary mail drops cant help.  I figure they will be taking some % of the 200k? Sad
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 03:04:38 PM

You should consider these facts as well:

1. Not all of the users might be alive now.
2. Among those users who are alive, not all of them will claim the lost coins.
3. Among the people who claim their loses, not everyone will be able to verify their accounts.

So by default, if Kraken promises to distribute the 200,000 BTC, they will be left with tens of thousands of coins.
hmblm1245

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 04:43:38 PM

Maybe Kraken is trying to gain a large customer base. If all 100,000 creditors or even half setup accounts, that looks great for investors that may or may not know or care about how they got the new users.
NUFCrichard
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 06:42:24 PM

You should consider these facts as well:

1. Not all of the users might be alive now.
2. Among those users who are alive, not all of them will claim the lost coins.
3. Among the people who claim their loses, not everyone will be able to verify their accounts.

So by default, if Kraken promises to distribute the 200,000 BTC, they will be left with tens of thousands of coins.

They should set a deadline for claims, after that date they can see how many BTC are owed and divide the 200000 proportionally.
If only 200,000 are claimed, then all claims could be met in full, if less than 200k in claims are made, then they can make a nice profit out of it!

I don't understand how it would work with cash, but I said I would rather get a cash refund, at $470 a cash refund is much better than a bitcoin  refund at $230!
ensurance982

Activity: 518

Trust me!

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 09:34:52 PM

That really doesn't make any sense, they are officially selected to perform this process and their name is also mentioned the official documents about the bankruptcy of Mt. Gox. I don't see any way in which they could disappear with the coins our cash in the money without relaying to you afterwards.

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
Eastfist

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2015, 09:44:39 PM

That really doesn't make any sense, they are officially selected to perform this process and their name is also mentioned the official documents about the bankruptcy of Mt. Gox. I don't see any way in which they could disappear with the coins our cash in the money without relaying to you afterwards.

That sounds a little naive.
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 09:58:25 PM

Having look at this for a day or so I can't seem to find any downsides to this. I believe this really facilitates the whole claim process for the average person. Many people will not be willing to put much effort into getting back their coins with chances all succeeding this slim. Anyone disagreeing?

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
hmblm1245

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 02:28:46 AM

Having look at this for a day or so I can't seem to find any downsides to this. I believe this really facilitates the whole claim process for the average person. Many people will not be willing to put much effort into getting back their coins with chances all succeeding this slim. Anyone disagreeing?
I agree.
H.W.Z

Activity: 574

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 02:46:01 AM

I don't think so! We lost money in Mt Gox. Now we have the chance to get back why not go there to claim back except that only a small amount is lost in there! So they don't bother to claim the money back. 

WhatTheGox
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 08:54:15 AM

There is going to be a ton of coin left over from people not wanting to attach their names to get it for whatever reason.  Also some people might not claim for other reasons.  What happens to the unclaimed coin i wonder?
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2015, 08:55:19 AM

You don't have to use Kraken. There are three options. listed at http://www.mtgox.com/img/pdf/201504_faq_en.pdf, which is operated by the bankruptcy trustee.

1. Use the bankruptcy trustee's online system.
2. File on paper with the Tokyo court, in Japanese.
3. Use the Kraken system.

Option 1 is probably the best. You get paid in yen. Debts denominated in Bitcoins will be converted to yen at the price of Bitcoin the day before the bankruptcy was filed, 1 Bitcoin = $483 = 50,058.12 yen.

That's the way bankruptcy works. Everything gets liquidated down to the local currency and creditors are paid from that. You don't want to be paid in Bitcoin anyway, since the price has crashed since the bankruptcy and is way below $483 now.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: