Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:53:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 [278] 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 ... 496 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage  (Read 1382131 times)
liljsbach

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 04:31:33 PM

Statement from the Team:

https://www.reddit.com/r/siacoin/comments/6tmx0r/why_is_sia_important/?utm_content=title&utm_medium=hot&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=siacoin

Now this is what I'm talking about! Smiley

A powerful statement, that lifts your spirit up and addresses many concerns, and gives us an image of what could be... 70 to 90% of the cloud storage market!

I am really thankful they released that statement today.

Wow, this may be a gamechanger for the current trend.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hakkane

Activity: 422
Merit: 270

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 05:16:05 PM

@Hakkane
are you an official member of Sia team?
Just wondering since you always come up with all kind of answers, really appreciated your quick responce in this thread.

No, I am not  Smiley Just an enthusiast here. As most of Sia power-users are on the Slack, Reddit and Forum, I try to at least check twice per day here and provide some relief to people with technical questions. Thanks for your words, it is my pleasure to help.

With all due respect to the efforts of developers.....I'm tired of fighting with their SIA application, reinstall the 3 day ! If they want to build the matrix storage everything should be as simple as possible, let's take the example of the teamveiwer that received a billion computers for simplicity. I am not a speculator just a square, but my siacoin will only see on bittrex Wink
Have you tried posting your issues here or on the Slack? Most of the times a full reinstall is not necessary. Next time ask for help and be sure someone will try to give you a workaround for the issue  Wink

Statement from the Team:

https://www.reddit.com/r/siacoin/comments/6tmx0r/why_is_sia_important/?utm_content=title&utm_medium=hot&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=siacoin

A powerful statement, that lifts your spirit up and addresses many concerns, and gives us an image of what could be... 70 to 90% of the cloud storage market!

Not only that, we now also have a Community Manager, proclaimed today: @Steve. I am not sure if he will be around in Bitcointalk as this is not an official channel, but you'll see him in Slack, Forum and Reddit

Does SIA have any plans for mobile (iOS and Android applications). It will be very useful to control your coins, stats...

Not any official client for now. However, be aware that there is a non-official Sia app in the Play Store, and people is reporting it is not working. Just remember the only official client is the desktop UI that can be downloaded on http://sia.tech/
zahidmoon

Activity: 1148
Merit: 269

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 06:47:42 PM

Is there anything major in the pipeline for Sia currently?
sia coin is quiet good coin its price change is sudden. somtimes its go up somtimes its down
i heard news on twitter that minio will be adding sia support to their standard product!
all minio users will soon have the ability to use sia as their backend storage.
i will buy more when its go down again
jacafbiz

Activity: 2072
Merit: 529

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 06:53:17 PM

Filecoin seems to be a major threat to SIA project, the likes of Storj and Filecoin seems to be well capitalised than SIA and will have money to attract best talent to their platform unlike SIA that is under funded

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
Miner-room101

Activity: 69

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 09:26:55 PM

Filecoin seems to be a major threat to SIA project, the likes of Storj and Filecoin seems to be well capitalised than SIA and will have money to attract best talent to their platform unlike SIA that is under funded

FileCoin is definitely well funded even for the craziness that is the crypto world.  They have raked it in

TheSmithKing

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 01:08:07 PM

To Pluto!!  Grin
Sia +35% as we speak.
hazukison

Activity: 100

Donate --> 15B6eKDUmjbV21Ujwj32HCX7qctCeSuzyi

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 01:18:28 PM

While I'm glad to see it clawing its way back from the brink of nothing but a landslide ever since I put money in what could be the reason for the small uptrend just now? After reading a bunch of information about how fees and prices need to he kept as low as possible how can something like sia ever reach something like the $1 stage? (If ever etc)

Mature student aging rapidly
15B6eKDUmjbV21Ujwj32HCX7qctCeSuzyi
Hullo

Activity: 980
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 01:40:29 PM

Sia is seeing big appreciation by market today. It has already 50% increased in matter of minutes. This industry of providing storage solution is very big and can absorb many projects in it. I don't see any danger for Sia from those two projects as all can work in coexistence.
obszoenling

Activity: 448
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 01:50:31 PM

Sia is seeing big appreciation by market today. It has already 50% increased in matter of minutes. This industry of providing storage solution is very big and can absorb many projects in it. I don't see any danger for Sia from those two projects as all can work in coexistence.

I think the season lays in the struggeling of bitcoin. People go back to their altcoins. And you all know that Sia is never a bad option. When those who invested in Filecoin get desperate due lack of communication and development progress Sias time has come.
Actually I wanted to buy more Siacoins yesterday but had to delay it for today. Today morning i had to wait a few hours getting my transfer of my bitcoins to the exchange confirmed. Now i got in when Sia was already up 30%. But that's okay. It is not the end  Grin

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
BillCoin

Activity: 476
Merit: 259

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 02:24:36 PM

Seems like it has a very strong peak that mainly came for the reason the bitcoin price has been surge low, causing all the crypto coins that has been going down at the last days to go up.

I can't see how sia returns to the 800 satoshi ath it had in the last month , but in crypto you can not predict anything, I hope that I am wrong Smiley.

pydev7

Activity: 172

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 02:30:17 PM

Woow, what a great update from Sia  Cool
https://blog.sia.tech/sia-may-august-2017-update-8929f21c56f7
Desancabulada

Activity: 11

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 02:39:43 PM

What we have seen in the last few hours, price wise, is simply a vote of confidence from the market - this is how the market reacts to great communication and transparency.
MrSunshine

Activity: 1181
Merit: 259

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 05:41:19 PM

While I'm glad to see it clawing its way back from the brink of nothing but a landslide ever since I put money in what could be the reason for the small uptrend just now? After reading a bunch of information about how fees and prices need to he kept as low as possible how can something like sia ever reach something like the $1 stage? (If ever etc)

Sure, but not for a few years. If they become the go to cloud storage provider at 1$/coin there valuation would be ~28 Billion+, which is must less the valuation of many tech companies in terms of stock market valuation.
freebutcaged

Activity: 588
Merit: 541

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 09:54:00 PM

For normal home users with expensive internet connection and not being able to run 24/7 this is the worst possible way of earning, I know that we

Can set our own desirable rates of payment but what happens when a large storage provider with very cheap internet and electricity beats us to the

Competition? according to the current calculations if I host files I'd be paying from my pocket but for what, so other people could have access to

Decentralized cloud storage? some company like google, they are paying %5 of what I'm paying for internet+electricity+hardware and that's why

They are the best cloud storage provider, if it's about the decentralization then people like me will never have the chance to take any part in this.

If I download or upload 1TB of data over my internet connection, I'll have to pay $0.25 for every gigabyte, that means 1TB=$250 so if I host files

On sia will I earn at least $300 for 1TB? I didn't even mention the electricity cost.
In the silence

Activity: 1289
Merit: 294

''Vincit qui se vincit''

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 09:58:43 PM

Its value is very low compared the online storage we already have, ranked 29 in https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/siacoin/
$2 is the fit value for this coin.
Hakkane

Activity: 422
Merit: 270

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 12:54:04 AM

For normal home users with expensive internet connection and not being able to run 24/7 this is the worst possible way of earning, I know that we

Can set our own desirable rates of payment but what happens when a large storage provider with very cheap internet and electricity beats us to the

Competition? according to the current calculations if I host files I'd be paying from my pocket but for what, so other people could have access to

Decentralized cloud storage? some company like google, they are paying %5 of what I'm paying for internet+electricity+hardware and that's why

They are the best cloud storage provider, if it's about the decentralization then people like me will never have the chance to take any part in this.

If I download or upload 1TB of data over my internet connection, I'll have to pay $0.25 for every gigabyte, that means 1TB=$250 so if I host files

On sia will I earn at least $300 for 1TB? I didn't even mention the electricity cost.

Hello. If you want to be a host, clearly there are some requirements, and the most clear one is having unlimited, non-metered internet connection. It is not universally available, but it is very normal to have unlimited connections in several countries. The other requirement is having your host online 24/7, so you need a dedicated machine (server or not), the same as with mining.

If you meet these two points, you can start hosting and you'll have the same opportunities as any "big farmer" hosting, as long as you setup a cheap pricing. The key is accessing to cheap HDDs, and those are not difficult to buy for less than $20/Tb. If you set up a pricing of $1-2/Tb/month, you make ROI in 1-2 years. In opposition to mining, there is not a "difficulty" parameter that gives you less profit as more people get into the business: as long as you are among the top hosts in scoring, you get contracts.

Electricity costs for hosting are irrelevant. An optimized server will use less than 50W. HDDs of low disks speed consume 2-3W.

Overall, hosting is not for everybody, but on certain conditions it can be profitable.

And of course, being average prices about $2-3/Tb/month, Sia is 10x cheaper than Amazon Storage, so naturally we will get their part of the pie of cloud storage. Not to mention the rest of advantages compared to them like encryption and decentralization...
Big Naturals

Activity: 756
Merit: 268

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 02:42:01 AM

Statement from the Team:

For people who don't follow links,

We're seeing a pattern that we've seen before. Sia hits some high point in the price, then people start to sell off and the price begins to fall. People get frustrated at their falling investment and start pointing at all of Sia's deficiencies and saying why it can't succeed, why it won't succeed, why the dev team is insufficient and incompetent.

Last year Sia pumped from about 3 satoshis to about 180 satoshis. Then it fell to 28. The whole way down, people were upset, and missing the bigger picture. They would talk about the user experience. They would talk about how you could only upload like 5 GB to the platform. They would talk about the giants and how nobody would ever be interested in using Sia when you could only store 5 GB on it. They would complain that Sia doesn't do any marketing. They would complain that Sia didn't have any money. They would accuse the devs of price manipulation.

I had many people private message me below the price of 40 satoshis in late 2016 and early 2017 saying they just didn't believe that the fundamentals made sense. They said they really like the project but don't see how it could be successful, so they were selling what little they had remaining and leaving. These people sold millions of coins for under a thousand dollars.

Everyone today is missing the point. Everyone is focused on trivial things like a 30% inflation rate. Like a competitor that just raised $230 million despite having no working code and a whitepaper that is incomplete and that betrays a poor understanding of blockchain technology.

Sia is going to change the face of cloud storage. That's a $20 billion market, and it's projected to become a $200 billion market. Sia is not some niche either, it's a full upgrade to how cloud storage works. We aren't aiming at 1%, we are aiming at 70-90% market share, because the core technology is that good.

Today, most Internet infrastructure is owned by a small number of companies. When you put your data in the cloud, you give up control. They can choose to delete your data, they can choose to hold your data hostage, they can change their terms of service on you. These are not uncommon situations either. Here's a story about photobucket requesting ransom prices from Ebay and Amazon. About a month ago, atlassian.com announced massive price increases for their platform, which left many people out to dry. Several months ago, Amazon pulled the unlimited tier from their Amazon Cloud Drive, giving users 180 days to download the data and find a new home.

When you put your data in the cloud, you give it to someone else. The traditional cloud is controlled by humans. There can be downtime, terms changes, price changes, companies can go under (like Soundcloud). We have built a fragile internet that puts the power in the hands of a few.

Sia changes that equation. Sia allows people to use the cloud without giving up control. This is a feature that resonates deeply with IT admins. The majority of IT admins will agree that they don't like using the Cloud, and that they would rather use another option if they could, except that the cloud offers so many advantages that they are willing to accept the loss of control of their data. Sia changes this equation. IT admins can have all the benefits of the cloud, without giving up control. It's a big step forward, and it's the core reason for blockchains existing in the first place.

The advantages don't stop there. Sia is cheaper, faster, more reliable, more secure, and has better uptime than the traditional cloud. The software today is not fully able to realize these benefits, but that's no fault of the protocol. The protocol itself is the foundation for a superior cloud platform, even if you don't care about trust. Sia is a full fledged CDN, with storage points in over 50 countries and on all 6 continents. Amazon can't claim numbers like those. Sia has hosts within 50 milliseconds of every major city in the world. Amazon can't claim that either. If you want low-latency storage to every city in the world (useful if you are YouTube, Netflix, Imgur, etc.), Sia is the best technology to use. The world's leading CDN (Akamai) charges >$50/TB. Sia charges $0.50, and that's a sustainable price.

The community has fallen into a mental trap that we see every time the price is declining. We see it with Bitcoin too. As the price goes down, people only ask themselves "what are the ways this project can fail?". I can promise you, Sia has a much better chance of success than 90% of the cryptocurrencies with a higher market cap. The projects technological fundamentals are exceptional, and an outlier in the space. Not only that, we've actually shipped a working product, and it's actually decentralized. Every 3 months has seen a release that marks a major step forward in usability and functionality.

The overwhelming din of pessimism of the past three months needs to stop. We are on a mission, and we are going to complete it. The community can't function when every other post is about how Sia is a waste of time. If you believe that, stop wasting your time and leave. The true community of Sia does believe in the project, because they know how serious the potential is. Sia is a revolutionary technology, and it's far, far ahead of everything that's trying to compete with it.

Thank you.
Pajulapoiss

Activity: 554
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 03:40:24 AM

Statement from the Team:

For people who don't follow links,

We're seeing a pattern that we've seen before. Sia hits some high point in the price, then people start to sell off and the price begins to fall. People get frustrated at their falling investment and start pointing at all of Sia's deficiencies and saying why it can't succeed, why it won't succeed, why the dev team is insufficient and incompetent.

Last year Sia pumped from about 3 satoshis to about 180 satoshis. Then it fell to 28. The whole way down, people were upset, and missing the bigger picture. They would talk about the user experience. They would talk about how you could only upload like 5 GB to the platform. They would talk about the giants and how nobody would ever be interested in using Sia when you could only store 5 GB on it. They would complain that Sia doesn't do any marketing. They would complain that Sia didn't have any money. They would accuse the devs of price manipulation.

I had many people private message me below the price of 40 satoshis in late 2016 and early 2017 saying they just didn't believe that the fundamentals made sense. They said they really like the project but don't see how it could be successful, so they were selling what little they had remaining and leaving. These people sold millions of coins for under a thousand dollars.

Everyone today is missing the point. Everyone is focused on trivial things like a 30% inflation rate. Like a competitor that just raised $230 million despite having no working code and a whitepaper that is incomplete and that betrays a poor understanding of blockchain technology.

Sia is going to change the face of cloud storage. That's a $20 billion market, and it's projected to become a $200 billion market. Sia is not some niche either, it's a full upgrade to how cloud storage works. We aren't aiming at 1%, we are aiming at 70-90% market share, because the core technology is that good.

Today, most Internet infrastructure is owned by a small number of companies. When you put your data in the cloud, you give up control. They can choose to delete your data, they can choose to hold your data hostage, they can change their terms of service on you. These are not uncommon situations either. Here's a story about photobucket requesting ransom prices from Ebay and Amazon. About a month ago, atlassian.com announced massive price increases for their platform, which left many people out to dry. Several months ago, Amazon pulled the unlimited tier from their Amazon Cloud Drive, giving users 180 days to download the data and find a new home.

When you put your data in the cloud, you give it to someone else. The traditional cloud is controlled by humans. There can be downtime, terms changes, price changes, companies can go under (like Soundcloud). We have built a fragile internet that puts the power in the hands of a few.

Sia changes that equation. Sia allows people to use the cloud without giving up control. This is a feature that resonates deeply with IT admins. The majority of IT admins will agree that they don't like using the Cloud, and that they would rather use another option if they could, except that the cloud offers so many advantages that they are willing to accept the loss of control of their data. Sia changes this equation. IT admins can have all the benefits of the cloud, without giving up control. It's a big step forward, and it's the core reason for blockchains existing in the first place.

The advantages don't stop there. Sia is cheaper, faster, more reliable, more secure, and has better uptime than the traditional cloud. The software today is not fully able to realize these benefits, but that's no fault of the protocol. The protocol itself is the foundation for a superior cloud platform, even if you don't care about trust. Sia is a full fledged CDN, with storage points in over 50 countries and on all 6 continents. Amazon can't claim numbers like those. Sia has hosts within 50 milliseconds of every major city in the world. Amazon can't claim that either. If you want low-latency storage to every city in the world (useful if you are YouTube, Netflix, Imgur, etc.), Sia is the best technology to use. The world's leading CDN (Akamai) charges >$50/TB. Sia charges $0.50, and that's a sustainable price.

The community has fallen into a mental trap that we see every time the price is declining. We see it with Bitcoin too. As the price goes down, people only ask themselves "what are the ways this project can fail?". I can promise you, Sia has a much better chance of success than 90% of the cryptocurrencies with a higher market cap. The projects technological fundamentals are exceptional, and an outlier in the space. Not only that, we've actually shipped a working product, and it's actually decentralized. Every 3 months has seen a release that marks a major step forward in usability and functionality.

The overwhelming din of pessimism of the past three months needs to stop. We are on a mission, and we are going to complete it. The community can't function when every other post is about how Sia is a waste of time. If you believe that, stop wasting your time and leave. The true community of Sia does believe in the project, because they know how serious the potential is. Sia is a revolutionary technology, and it's far, far ahead of everything that's trying to compete with it.

Thank you.

Good stuff mate, thanks for the quote!
 It's pretty usual people who are trying to make a quick buck will get frustrated after when they see that their losing money instead. So the do the stupid thing and sell with a loss, and try to jump on to the next rocket, which has already increased in value, then they buy in high again, and the same circle go on. "daytraders" maybe? They do several trades a day always losing money.

Use ur money to invest! Once u buy something stick with it, and try not to buy crap!

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
DeepVault
Blockchain File Signatures
deeponion.org
narrrf

Activity: 275
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 03:40:37 PM

Thanks for sharing this!

I am a fan and want to BUY and HOLD as much as i can - in this type a portfolio I have SIA.

Thanks for all the cheap COINS out there HEHEHE

best greetz from austria
tintumon

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

dinkimole nokkalle...

View Profile
August 17, 2017, 01:51:22 AM

Thanks for sharing this!

I am a fan and want to BUY and HOLD as much as i can - in this type a portfolio I have SIA.

Thanks for all the cheap COINS out there HEHEHE

best greetz from austria
I am also accumulating at these prices. I am sure SIA will bounce back to its old glory days once BTC is settled.
Pages: « 1 ... 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 [278] 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 ... 496 »
  Print  

Jump to: