Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:44:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 [290] 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 ... 496 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage  (Read 1382129 times)
beerfinger

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 02:45:22 AM

Hi all, new to Siacoin here. Is there any way to keep SC in a wallet without having to download the entire 4+ Gb blockchain?

There is a reputable group of developers preparing a Lite wallet that will not require to have locally the full blockchain, but they will need some extra weeks to release it.

Alternatively, if you just need to generate some addreses to keep funds in cold storage, you can use this tool: https://github.com/avahowell/sia-coldstorage Take in mind that for being able to expend those funds again you'll need to use the full client

Thanks.

It says, "sia-coldstorage is a utility that generates a seed and a collection of addresses for a Sia wallet, without the blockchain. This is useful for creating 'cold wallets'; you can run this utility on an airgapped machine, write down the seed and the addresses, and send coins safely to any of the addresses without having to worry about malware stealing your coins. You can use Sia to restore the seed and spend the funds at any time."

Does that mean I should just turn of wifi on my computer while running the utility?

Also, what does this mean: "Take in mind that for being able to expend those funds again you'll need to use the full client"

Is that the same thing when it says, "You can use Sia to restore the seed and spend the funds at any time."

Does that mean no matter when, if I ever want to spend/sell/trade my Siacoin, I will have to install Sia-UI and download the full blockchain?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hakkane

Activity: 422
Merit: 270

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 03:27:58 AM

Thanks.

It says, "sia-coldstorage is a utility that generates a seed and a collection of addresses for a Sia wallet, without the blockchain. This is useful for creating 'cold wallets'; you can run this utility on an airgapped machine, write down the seed and the addresses, and send coins safely to any of the addresses without having to worry about malware stealing your coins. You can use Sia to restore the seed and spend the funds at any time."

Does that mean I should just turn of wifi on my computer while running the utility?

Also, what does this mean: "Take in mind that for being able to expend those funds again you'll need to use the full client"

Is that the same thing when it says, "You can use Sia to restore the seed and spend the funds at any time."

Does that mean no matter when, if I ever want to spend/sell/trade my Siacoin, I will have to install Sia-UI and download the full blockchain?

I have the feeling that you are not very familiar with these kind of wallets, so lets keep it simple: if you are not familiar with cold storage solutions, just use the official UI client. You'll have to download the blockchain, but with it you can send and receive transactions.

A cold wallet software is simply a generator of address for you, but without using a full client you can't see the balance or send coins: it is just an address generator that will provide you a recovery seed you can later use to access your funds in a full client. Some people like to use these kind of cold wallet generators in computers that NEVER have access to internet, to maximize the security. But that is optional.
attilafx

Activity: 56

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 08:51:34 AM

[So there you have it. As I said before. The  devs failed miserably. If it was such a great coin then price would be in the thousands sats and not below 200. Like I mentioned before, charts never lie  Wink

They might not lie (they actually do, as they just show the mood of speculators), but you are either an ignorant or just a FUD spreader that wants to buy Sia cheap. Read what I wrote previously, buddy

[/quote]

If I want to buy Sia low and cheap you could argue that I already can since it is trading below 1000 sats. look at the market orders. right now there are 40 BTC buyers and 10 BTC sellers in the range of 180 to 190. Still price is grinding lower. There is no buying interest in SIA. and with a zillion BTC traded on a single day you can not deny that the market isn't interested in this coin. And there I go back to my initial statement. If it was such a great coin we wouldn't trade this low at all. I'm not here to ruin the party, but you have to see the fact that the market isn't interested and if the market overall isn't interested you might actually see much much lower prices. Especially as the dumping continues because somebody is selling all the time.
BillCoin

Activity: 476
Merit: 259

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 09:39:29 AM

[So there you have it. As I said before. The  devs failed miserably. If it was such a great coin then price would be in the thousands sats and not below 200. Like I mentioned before, charts never lie  Wink

They might not lie (they actually do, as they just show the mood of speculators), but you are either an ignorant or just a FUD spreader that wants to buy Sia cheap. Read what I wrote previously, buddy

If I want to buy Sia low and cheap you could argue that I already can since it is trading below 1000 sats. look at the market orders. right now there are 40 BTC buyers and 10 BTC sellers in the range of 180 to 190. Still price is grinding lower. There is no buying interest in SIA. and with a zillion BTC traded on a single day you can not deny that the market isn't interested in this coin. And there I go back to my initial statement. If it was such a great coin we wouldn't trade this low at all. I'm not here to ruin the party, but you have to see the fact that the market isn't interested and if the market overall isn't interested you might actually see much much lower prices. Especially as the dumping continues because somebody is selling all the time.
[/quote]

It really depends where you look at.

I think that the main reason to the sia price being low is the very high inflation rate.

About 200K siacoins are being created every 10 minutes which is an insane inflation, I think that it is the reason that the price keeps low instead of skyrocketing.
attilafx

Activity: 56

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 11:00:57 AM

It really depends where you look at.

I think that the main reason to the sia price being low is the very high inflation rate.

About 200K siacoins are being created every 10 minutes which is an insane inflation, I think that it is the reason that the price keeps low instead of skyrocketing.

[/quote]

That's quite a lot. it's not inflation but hyperinflation then. No wonder every uptick is being sold into.
Hakkane

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 03:11:26 PM

There are 30 billions of Siacoin in circulation, so valuing the project at $230 millions. That is a market cap 10 times more than 4 months ago, 20 times more than 5 month ago and 200 times more than one year ago. Do you dare to say there is no interest in the project? Sia is an already functional product offering 3 petabytes of data so far among 750 hosts, but there is of course room for new features (all of them are in their roadmap https://trello.com/b/Io1dDyuI/sia-public-roadmap) and a lot of room for adoption growth: the value will keep growing naturally the closer we get to the endgame of Sia.

Your problem is also that you are using as a reference of the value of Sia the Bitcoin. That is a bad idea in general: how can you use a reference point for the value of Sia a coin that has duplicated its value during the last month? That's a horrible control. Is anybody panicking around about the dollar devaluation because the USD/BTC charts say so? But in the case of Sia it has even less sense to use the BTC as a control for its value, as file contract prices are adjusted manually to dollar prices by the hosts. It is an economy linked t dollar prices. And if you check the SC/USD charts, you'll see Sia has grown enormously, reached a peak at 2 cents on May, and since then it has been stable at the 0.7-1 cent of dollar.

Ultimately, still you are only using market charts to determine how good a project is. Seiously @attilafx, if you are an investor and you are only looking at BTC charts to know which projects are good or not instead of checking more info, digging in the communities and learning abut upcoming features, sell right now all your positions in cryptos because very soon you are going to lose everything
CryptoKeeper802

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2017, 05:41:23 PM

There are 30 billions of Siacoin in circulation, so valuing the project at $230 millions. That is a market cap 10 times more than 4 months ago, 20 times more than 5 month ago and 200 times more than one year ago. Do you dare to say there is no interest in the project? Sia is an already functional product offering 3 petabytes of data so far among 750 hosts, but there is of course room for new features (all of them are in their roadmap https://trello.com/b/Io1dDyuI/sia-public-roadmap) and a lot of room for adoption growth: the value will keep growing naturally the closer we get to the endgame of Sia.

Your problem is also that you are using as a reference of the value of Sia the Bitcoin. That is a bad idea in general: how can you use a reference point for the value of Sia a coin that has duplicated its value during the last month? That's a horrible control. Is anybody panicking around about the dollar devaluation because the USD/BTC charts say so? But in the case of Sia it has even less sense to use the BTC as a control for its value, as file contract prices are adjusted manually to dollar prices by the hosts. It is an economy linked t dollar prices. And if you check the SC/USD charts, you'll see Sia has grown enormously, reached a peak at 2 cents on May, and since then it has been stable at the 0.7-1 cent of dollar.

Ultimately, still you are only using market charts to determine how good a project is. Seiously @attilafx, if you are an investor and you are only looking at BTC charts to know which projects are good or not instead of checking more info, digging in the communities and learning abut upcoming features, sell right now all your positions in cryptos because very soon you are going to lose everything

Extremely well said.  Fundamental Analysis / market research is almost EVERYTHING.

CryptoWinner

Activity: 147

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 11:47:39 PM

Where does SIA stands compare to Storj?

pricewise there is a huge difference..

That's because SIA block rewards are really big.

I'm glad that SIA is recovering slowly (I hope to see 200+ sato soon).

SEMUX   -   An innovative high-performance blockchain platform   
▬▬▬▬▬      Powered by Semux BFT consensus algorithm      ▬▬▬▬▬
Github    -    Discord    -    Twitter    -    Telegram    -    Get Free Airdrop Now!
tintumon

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

dinkimole nokkalle...

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 03:45:43 AM

After the last pump/dump SIA is having a steady organic growth  now. We will be seeing 300+ satoshi by the end of the year at this rate
matrixturk

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 05:01:11 AM

I wonder a answer a question.  maybe user will upload illegal content to storage. has it control for content by sia?
siddartha1492

Activity: 952
Merit: 284

In love with Bitcoin!! 💓💕

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2017, 05:05:03 AM

Can you only rent out your disk space if you have Sia coins. Also how do you protect against malwares and viruses that may be included in the user's files or if the user deliberately disguises the virus as files?

trgnn

Activity: 756
Merit: 103

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 06:46:46 AM

I wonder a answer a question.  maybe user will upload illegal content to storage. has it control for content by sia?

If I understood correctly, the files are encrypted and no, Sia has noway to control what is uploaded. Everything is kept secret and nobody can open and read your files.

But maybe I'm wrong ?

matrixturk

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 10:50:57 AM

If I understood correctly, the files are encrypted and no, Sia has noway to control what is uploaded. Everything is kept secret and nobody can open and read your files.

But maybe I'm wrong ?

Your sensible correct but when we make hdd mining mission hosted some hdd to SIA. I wonder will it problem for us if users upload illegal content. Because all content will be in our hdd.
marketone
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 10:56:04 AM

Yes, SIA block rewards are high that's why it cannot able to survive in the market because people are kept dumping the SIA coins. Only volumes are increasing but the value of SIA is the same situation when Bitcoin price increases.
Hakkane

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 11:44:31 AM

But maybe I'm wrong ?

Your sensible correct but when we make hdd mining mission hosted some hdd to SIA. I wonder will it problem for us if users upload illegal content. Because all content will be in our hdd.

There is no danger for hosts, as storage providers are not liable of contents they hosts. Besides, files are encrypted and each individual host is unable the reconstruct the full file as they are recipient of only fragments of it. This is from the Sia Wiki:

Hosts (and websites) are considered safe from user submitted content under section 512 of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Storage providers, websites and ISPs (Internet Service Providers) are considered protected under 230(c)(1) of the Communications Decency Act. No cases in the US have specifically accused websites of CP and 230©(1) and it is considered a safe harbor, but has never been tried. If you require more specific information, we recommend you discussing this with your legal representation

In any case, a future update will allow hosts to remove specific file contracts, just in case laws change and a host is required to delete certain files
CryptoWinner

Activity: 147

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 12:01:16 PM

Yes, SIA block rewards are high that's why it cannot able to survive in the market because people are kept dumping the SIA coins. Only volumes are increasing but the value of SIA is the same situation when Bitcoin price increases.

Big coin supply is not bad. Continuous mining is also not a bad thing, it brings security to the blockchain! I'm sure that SIA will recover to 300 sato levels soon. Strong project that might be slightly undervalued right now.

SEMUX   -   An innovative high-performance blockchain platform   
▬▬▬▬▬      Powered by Semux BFT consensus algorithm      ▬▬▬▬▬
Github    -    Discord    -    Twitter    -    Telegram    -    Get Free Airdrop Now!
obszoenling

Activity: 448

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 01:01:47 PM

Big coin supply is not bad. Continuous mining is also not a bad thing, it brings security to the blockchain! I'm sure that SIA will recover to 300 sato levels soon. Strong project that might be slightly undervalued right now.

"Slightly undervalued". They are whitepapers who have more market cap than Sia. It is a wolf in sheep's clothing but unfortunately a victim of that cryptocurrency hype. There are two options:

A: Sia is currently undervalued
B: 99% of the other cryptocurrency are currently far overvalued

Choose one.

People nowadays mainly buy coins to hold. They treat them as an investment. But that is not a healthy process.  Bitcoin might be an exception thus his status as worlds first crypto coin. But we don't need 900 of them. We need coins that have a use, a use that is more than beeing a currency and not only a theoretical one from a whitepaper. That's why the crypto world is turning into a morgue. A morgue full of crypto coins that everybody has, but nobody wants. And guess what: You won't find SiaCoin there. Cause I will still need it to pay my cloud storage bill.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Aquazi

Activity: 215

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 01:49:25 PM
Last edit: September 04, 2017, 02:06:47 PM by Aquazi

"Slightly undervalued". They are whitepapers who have more market cap than Sia. It is a wolf in sheep's clothing but unfortunately a victim of that cryptocurrency hype. There are two options:

Choose one.

People nowadays mainly buy coins to hold. They treat them as an investment. But that is not a healthy process.  Bitcoin might be an exception thus his status as worlds first crypto coin. But we don't need 900 of them. We need coins that have a use, a use that is more than beeing a currency and not only a theoretical one from a whitepaper. That's why the crypto world is turning into a morgue. A morgue full of crypto coins that everybody has, but nobody wants. And guess what: You won't find SiaCoin there. Cause I will still need it to pay my cloud storage bill.

Nobody's going to use ever siacoin as a storage solution.

It's either expensive for the host or expensive for the customer, but it can't be good for both Wink

And this ignores how complicated it is to store and download files from sia compared to mainstream solutions, the fact that you can't give a siacoin bill to your accountant and the constant price fluctuation.

You guys just can't give up.

About your B), yes 100% of the cryptocurrency market is all hype and no use atm and is seriously overvalued.

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▶▶▶▶ Get Your Free Tokens Now ◀◀◀◀  First PoS Smart Contract Token
    PoSToken       Free Airdrop ●  No-ICO ●  100% Annual Interest First Year
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ANN ●  WebSite  ●  Twitter  ●  Slack  ●  Whitepaper
pinkman12345
Legendary

Activity: 1070
Merit: 1021

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 01:52:47 PM

The world need cheap hosting and yes we are moving in that direction since 1995, look at the hosting plans in late 19s and now. So why you feel that Sia token will gain value when the world needs cheap hosting?? If Sia falls below the rep value then it will be a inflation. mark my words.

zahidmoon

Activity: 1148
Merit: 269

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 07:43:18 PM

Choose one.

People nowadays mainly buy coins to hold. They treat them as an investment. But that is not a healthy process.  Bitcoin might be an exception thus his status as worlds first crypto coin. But we don't need 900 of them. We need coins that have a use, a use that is more than beeing a currency and not only a theoretical one from a whitepaper. That's why the crypto world is turning into a morgue. A morgue full of crypto coins that everybody has, but nobody wants. And guess what: You won't find SiaCoin there. Cause I will still need it to pay my cloud storage bill.
yes you are right and most of them invest without investigate that coin properly
and i think also that sia is undervalue 156 sat price right now but its supply is also huge more then 29 billion
but this coin is much better then ERC20 based token or you can sat ETH based token
and i also heard a news about china that china has ban all the ICOs. this news really impact in a lot of crypto currencies
Pages: « 1 ... 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 [290] 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 ... 496 »
  Print  

Jump to: