Bitcoin Forum
July 07, 2024, 04:20:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold Losing It's Shine?  (Read 6821 times)
umaOuma

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 10:23:27 PM

Gold will never lose it's shine as this is oldest asset which is trusted by everyone throughout history.If you refer at recent collapse of price then I will say that was hype and was artificial raise in price.Gold will always decide the value of everything.This time when Gold's price will rise that when will be genuine and long term rise.

Gold is definitely the best product for investment. History says it all. And the reason behind it is that people trust gold more  as it is a traditional product and gives a good return on investment so at present the prices have gone down but it will raise in the future coming period.

Sure, gold is solid, but has low return of investment. You'll never get rich putting 10K in gold. You may be come a millonaire if you put 10K in BTC. Gold is too stablished to give the insane returns BTC and other crypto projects like Maid can give you in the future.

You are absolutely right but the problem bitcoin is facing is that people don't trust it..people have more faith in gold as it is traditional so people dont want to take risk and invest in bitcoin and thats the reason they invest in gold as they know even if they get less returns but their investment is safe.
ThEmporium

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 09:57:44 PM

Gold will never lose it's shine as this is oldest asset which is trusted by everyone throughout history.If you refer at recent collapse of price then I will say that was hype and was artificial raise in price.Gold will always decide the value of everything.This time when Gold's price will rise that when will be genuine and long term rise.

Although I agree with your comment, It is just a mindset of us that we got deep craze on this yellow metal, this mindset has been developed by our ancestors. If their is no buyer for this yellow metal, then there will no demand for this, however there are other metal ore such as Diamond, pearls, which has real mark value against the Gold. I believe that platinum is just a hype and never withstand in front of this yellow metal Smiley
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 11:23:54 PM

I don't think gold is about to lose its shine anytime soon. We're currently in the greatest bond bubble in history that is about to burst soon. Then gold will be en vogue again.

As others have pointed out, gold has special properties (weight, color) that fascinate people. While I would not claim, that gold will *always* be valuable, it's still one of the most reliable assets because of its unique aesthetic appeal to human soul.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
knowhow

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 01:41:37 AM

well gold can stay fixed between some worth on the next years,on the last 50 years gold raised a lot as the interest to have it raised at the same point,before only rich people had acess to it the people werent able to even think on have it,anyway the gold is the only thing that can face the problems that may come on the future near,but lets say we will never know how much it can grow in price as if it will go lower ,is a good investment but the better one is to live without think only in future all must think and act thinking on the future the sons,the family  ,but im pretty sure gold will keep attract more and more investors..the same way i believe it can keep gain more worth on the next years
OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 02:47:40 AM

Gold has a number of characteristics that would be of interest to many savers / investors.

1)  Perhaps No. 1 in importance would be that gold is insurance against .gov becoming tyrannical or incompetent.

2)  Gold is recognized and wanted all over the world.  "There is always someone around who will buy your gold."

3)  Gold is likely to go way up in price in case Europe has big problems (think Grexit, etc.).  After Europe, problems would come to America.

4)  Gold has been valued as the best Store of Value for 5000 - 6000 years, it is relatively easy to detect "fake gold" as well.

5)  Gold moves somewhat independently of other investments, thus good diversificatin.

6)  Gold is easy to hide.......
jayce
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1515

Pie Baking Contest: https://tinyurl.com/2s3z6dee

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2015, 05:40:45 AM

Sure, gold is solid, but has low return of investment. You'll never get rich putting 10K in gold. You may be come a millonaire if you put 10K in BTC. Gold is too stablished to give the insane returns BTC and other crypto projects like Maid can give you in the future.

What will you do if in the future price of BTC drop a lot? It's just my speculation, but if that really happen, you lost all your investment. Although gold is too stable, but its more safe.

Its better to earn small profit than the high profit with higher risk.

Where did you hide that? LOL
I think it's easier to hide BTC  Grin

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2015, 08:52:27 AM

Where did you hide that? LOL
I think it's easier to hide BTC  Grin

All your BTCs exist in the blockchain (and only as long as the blockchain itself exists and is consistent). Not something that you can hide quite easily. You can use mixers, exchanges, dice sites to cover your steps (this has been discussed a zillion times), but they are still there and still traceable...

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 01:15:07 PM

Everyone who supports the argument that Gold is losing its value, just limits their observation to the Gold vs USD exchange rates. Against the US Dollar, gold is losing is value for quite some time. That is because the USD is too strong right now. For example, the Euro has lost almost 30% of its value against the USD in the past 12 months. When compared to the EUR, gold has fared much better.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 01:22:16 PM

Everyone who supports the argument that Gold is losing its value, just limits their observation to the Gold vs USD exchange rates. Against the US Dollar, gold is losing is value for quite some time. That is because the USD is too strong right now. For example, the Euro has lost almost 30% of its value against the USD in the past 12 months. When compared to the EUR, gold has fared much better.

this argument is moot, in the sense that it is strong against euro, because euro is loosing its value, so in the end gold isn't becoming really stronger it is just the euro that it is weaker...

gold is indeed losing its old value, comparing it to a an asset that is even more dead doesn't make it stronger,  see where we are going? pointless argument
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 01:32:58 PM

this argument is moot, in the sense that it is strong against euro, because euro is loosing its value, so in the end gold isn't becoming really stronger it is just the euro that it is weaker...
Right now, against the US Dollar, all the other currencies are losing their value. The list is quite long, but it includes EUR, UKP, RUR, CHF, AUD, UAH, INR, CAD, CNY.etc. So you can't argue saying that the value of the USD has remained the same, and that of all the other currencies have gone down. The same can be said about commodities such as gold and crude oil. Their value in USD has fallen, mostly because the USD is too strong right now.
qiwoman2
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1023

Oikos.cash | Decentralized Finance on Tron

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 02:12:22 PM

Gold is being hoarded well by Asia now especially China, Turkey and India. Anyone a little bit investment savvy is going to collect some gold. It may not be the latest craze but put it this way, Turkey now has atm machines that dispense gold bullion and bank accounts that can send out gold checks. So as long as gold is around people's intrinsic trust in it is always going to be there, especially in the volatile times that we live in currently.

█▀█ █ █▄▀ █▀█ █▀ ░ █▀▀ ▄▀█ █▀ █░█
█▄█ █ █░█ █▄█ ▄█ ▄ █▄▄ █▀█ ▄█ █▀█

DeFi on Tron
and trustless token exchange
█████

█████

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

JOIN OIKOS

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

█████
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
█████
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2015, 02:37:37 PM

Right now, against the US Dollar, all the other currencies are losing their value. The list is quite long, but it includes EUR, UKP, RUR, CHF, AUD, UAH, INR, CAD, CNY.etc. So you can't argue saying that the value of the USD has remained the same, and that of all the other currencies have gone down. The same can be said about commodities such as gold and crude oil. Their value in USD has fallen, mostly because the USD is too strong right now.

I suggest anyone pretending gold losing its shine put their money where their mouth is. If gold is indeed losing its value, why not short it against euro, dollar and whatnot? Gold can lose value against some currency for some time, but its long-term expectation against any fiat currency out there has never been negative...

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 02:48:56 PM

I suggest anyone pretending gold losing its shine put their money where their mouth is. If gold is indeed losing its value, why not short it against euro, dollar and whatnot? Gold can lose value against some currency for some time, but its long-term expectation against any fiat currency has never been negative...

Exactly. Gold will protect its value much better than any of the fiat currencies. As per my understanding, the logic is pretty simple. Let's say right now, some 171,300 tonnes of gold exists in the world (according to BBC). And right now Euro worth some € 1 trillion is in circulation.

Now comes the interesting part. Gold is mined at the rate of 3,000 tonnes per year (growth rate of 1.75% per year), but Euro notes are being produced at the rate of €60 billion per year, which represents a growth rate of 6% per year. This means that the inflation for Euro is going to be much higher, when compared to gold.
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2015, 02:55:18 PM

I suggest anyone pretending gold losing its shine put their money where their mouth is. If gold is indeed losing its value, why not short it against euro, dollar and whatnot? Gold can lose value against some currency for some time, but its long-term expectation against any fiat currency has never been negative...

Exactly. Gold will protect its value much better than any of the fiat currencies. As per my understanding, the logic is pretty simple. Let's say right now, some 171,300 tonnes of gold exists in the world (according to BBC). And right now Euro worth some € 1 trillion is in circulation.

Now comes the interesting part. Gold is mined at the rate of 3,000 tonnes per year (growth rate of 1.75% per year), but Euro notes are being produced at the rate of €60 billion per year, which represents a growth rate of 6% per year. This means that the inflation for Euro is going to be much higher, when compared to gold.

Not quite so. In the long run you are right indeed, but you don't take into account paper gold, the total amount of which exceeds by a good margin the amount of physical gold out there at sale. This makes the gold market more susceptible to market manipulation and higher price volatility (though not as much as the silver market)...

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 03:08:55 PM

Not quite so. In the long run you are right indeed, but you don't take into account paper gold, the total amount of which exceeds by a good margin the amount of physical gold out there at sale. This makes the gold market more susceptible to market manipulation and higher price volatility (though not as much as the silver market)...

I am not considering paper gold at all. It is worthless. Unless you are having physical gold with you, you don't own gold. The market manipulation with paper gold is indeed ongoing in the western nations. But as nations such as China and Russia hoard more and more physical gold, it will become impossible for the Western banks to continue with this manipulation.
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2015, 03:20:28 PM
Last edit: June 06, 2015, 07:33:16 PM by deisik

I am not considering paper gold at all. It is worthless. Unless you are having physical gold with you, you don't own gold. The market manipulation with paper gold is indeed ongoing in the western nations. But as nations such as China and Russia hoard more and more physical gold, it will become impossible for the Western banks to continue with this manipulation.

It is not worthless, since it, beyond doubt, affects the price of physical gold. Wtf, worthless means zero value and absence of influence, but I don't know a word which would fully convey the meaning of a negative value and influence that paper gold may have on gold prices...

OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 03:28:29 PM

deisik & bryant.coleman

Paper gold may have some worth now, but eventually it will not.  At that point, gold  is likely to jump in price by at least an order of magnitude.

"All paper will burn."

-- ANOTHER

Physical gold in your own possession is the key to the Store of Value marvel of gold.  When will this happen (paper gold to zero, physical to the moon)?  Beats me, but it feels like it will not be long.

I was thinking it might happen in 2009, but that's just me...
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2015, 04:33:20 PM
Last edit: June 06, 2015, 04:44:05 PM by deisik

deisik & bryant.coleman

Paper gold may have some worth now, but eventually it will not.  At that point, gold  is likely to jump in price by at least an order of magnitude.

"All paper will burn."

-- ANOTHER

Physical gold in your own possession is the key to the Store of Value marvel of gold.  When will this happen (paper gold to zero, physical to the moon)?  Beats me, but it feels like it will not be long.

It was not just you. I remember it well when a lot of experts, semi-experts, and pseudo-experts claimed gold soon skyrocketing to 2,000$, 3,000$ and over 5,000$ per ounce back then...

Bitdonator
Legendary

Activity: 1223
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 02:38:32 PM

Gold will never lose it's shine.
People use gold as store of value for
tousands years.

AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 03:55:15 PM

deisik & bryant.coleman

"All paper will burn."

-- ANOTHER

It was not just you. I remember it well when a lot of experts, semi-experts, and pseudo-experts claimed gold soon skyrocketing to 2,000$, 3,000$ and over 5,000$ per ounce back then...

There are always exaggerated claims with everything. But the difference with Bitcoin is, Bitcoin is something totally new and unparalleled with potential to disrupt the very definition of money, while Gold is Gold, and can never have new uses and will not disrupt institutions and technology.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: