Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:39:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to grow the Bitcoin idea?  (Read 12951 times)
BrightAnarchist
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 853
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 28, 2010, 08:38:58 PM

BC is money, but maybe we'd be better off referring to it as a 'trade regulation medium' (or something along those lines) - I think that'd really get their goat as they couldn't deny it.

Yes, they can.  Because Bitcoin is not money, it's currency, and they do know the difference.  They may not think highly of it, but most at Mises.org can respect the attempt at a voluntary alternative currency.  Particularly one that solves the online commerce problems so elegantly.  Bitcoin just isn't mature enough to warrant attention from policy wonks.

Mises.org is a lost cause for BTC support IMO. They refuse to run Bitcoin articles because they don't want to "promote" it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 28, 2010, 09:00:29 PM

BC is money, but maybe we'd be better off referring to it as a 'trade regulation medium' (or something along those lines) - I think that'd really get their goat as they couldn't deny it.

Yes, they can.  Because Bitcoin is not money, it's currency, and they do know the difference.  They may not think highly of it, but most at Mises.org can respect the attempt at a voluntary alternative currency.  Particularly one that solves the online commerce problems so elegantly.  Bitcoin just isn't mature enough to warrant attention from policy wonks.

Mises.org is a lost cause for BTC support IMO. They refuse to run Bitcoin articles because they don't want to "promote" it.

It's a fair concern.  Mises.org has a lot of sway with opinions that we might want to influence, but their support isn't magical.  If Mises.org started running favorable articles; Bitcoin would get many new people and more attention than just those who wish us well, and if Bitcoin can't succeed without Mises.org then it can't survive in the long run anyway.  If Bitcoin makes it, then Mises.org will run articles.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
S3052 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 28, 2010, 09:22:57 PM

if I follow this great thread correctly, it seems that misis could be very useful.

meybe we should approach it on a personal level, isn't there anyone in the forum who has some personal contacts with key stakeholders at mises?

Anonymous

September 29, 2010, 01:55:15 AM

If we want to get the word out we might have to advertise. I suggest an advertising campaign on one of the large libertarian shows such as free talk live. I actually heard one of the saturday co-hosts mention bitcoin live on air not long ago think it was 26 sep . A script would need to be agreed on that explains bitcoin to the masses .
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2010, 03:29:59 AM

If we want to get the word out we might have to advertise. I suggest an advertising campaign on one of the large libertarian shows such as free talk live. I actually heard one of the saturday co-hosts mention bitcoin live on air not long ago think it was 26 sep . A script would need to be agreed on that explains bitcoin to the masses .

Advertisement is for corn syrup and diet pills. We need someone who is knowledgeable and can speak well get an interview on freedomainradio or another liberty podcast.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2010, 03:34:49 AM

Advertisement is for corn syrup and diet pills. We need someone who is knowledgeable and can speak well get an interview on freedomainradio or another liberty podcast.

It's too narrow a topic, and dull.  A thirty second spot late on Fox Business would be big, but that costs money.  And if anyone does something like this, I'm going to need to have more bitcoin to sell on Mtgox.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2010, 03:44:28 AM

It's too narrow a topic, and dull.  A thirty second spot late on Fox Business would be big, but that costs money.  And if anyone does something like this, I'm going to need to have more bitcoin to sell on Mtgox.

Well, if the person could also talk about agorism and the internet and p2p stuff it could be a good interview. It doesn't have to be a whole show, but it could certainly be more than 30 seconds. It took me a week to get my wife to understand the basics. Heh, maybe that just means I shouldn't do it.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2010, 04:06:00 AM

Well, if the person could also talk about agorism and the internet and p2p stuff it could be a good interview. It doesn't have to be a whole show, but it could certainly be more than 30 seconds. It took me a week to get my wife to understand the basics. Heh, maybe that just means I shouldn't do it.

Maybe it just shows that our wives don't actually listen to us anymore.

Anonymous

September 29, 2010, 04:21:02 AM

Get an interview on Glenn Beck's show. He recently mentioned a libertarian book (F.A. Hayek) on there and it went to number 1 on the amazon bestseller list. Other shows are John Stossel or Judge Napolitano.

My wife rolls her eyes when I mention bitcoin.....

mizerydearia

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
September 29, 2010, 06:57:32 AM

Your wife is kyuuute:
Anonymous

September 29, 2010, 06:59:49 AM

Your wife is kyuuute:

If my better half looked like that bitcoin would be the last thing on my mind  Tongue
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2010, 07:36:06 AM

Your wife is kyuuute:

If my better half looked like that bitcoin would be the last thing on my mind  Tongue

Who is that?  She looks like she is half Asian.  Is she some model, or was this picture taken by some boyfriend showing off?

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2010, 07:38:30 AM

You mean because you'd be taking her to the optometrist?

Aqualung

Activity: 357
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 29, 2010, 08:52:57 AM

maybe our wives listen to us, but think that bitcoin is just another game (very obscure game) for beloved husbands...  Smiley

used to be a miner
LZ
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1072

P2P Cryptocurrency

View Profile
September 29, 2010, 08:55:40 AM

And I like that game. Cheesy

My OpenPGP fingerprint: 5099EB8C0F2E68C63B4ECBB9A9D0993E04143362
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2010, 09:15:37 AM

I love Free Talk Live, I used to listed to them daily.

Anyway, my advice when calling FTL is to always be ready to respond to questions asked by the show hosts, so think about how to respond to the common questions.

Also, it would be really cool if FTL started using bitcoin as part of their AMP program.  They currently use paypal, which charges lots of transaction fees, which is a waste considering they have a stream of small donations.

Maybe we (bitcoin forumn community) could offer a monthly donation that we pay in bitcoin instead of paypal?  If we do some high monly dobation, then the name of the donator (call him "bitcoin") is listed on their website.  Or maybe we can purchase and advertising package from them in bitcoin?

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
Anonymous

September 29, 2010, 09:41:52 AM

Mark one of the cohosts of ftl does an interview segment after many of the shows. Maybe this could be better.
Anonymous

September 29, 2010, 09:48:35 AM

I love Free Talk Live, I used to listed to them daily.

Anyway, my advice when calling FTL is to always be ready to respond to questions asked by the show hosts, so think about how to respond to the common questions.

Also, it would be really cool if FTL started using bitcoin as part of their AMP program.  They currently use paypal, which charges lots of transaction fees, which is a waste considering they have a stream of small donations.

Maybe we (bitcoin forumn community) could offer a monthly donation that we pay in bitcoin instead of paypal?  If we do some high monly dobation, then the name of the donator (call him "bitcoin") is listed on their website.  Or maybe we can purchase and advertising package from them in bitcoin?

Cheesy  I actually emailed Ian about setting up a bitcoin donation as I am also a monthly donator to ftl. He said he didnt understand how bitcoin works. Maybe if other people contact him about setting it up it might peak his interest. I know they often auction ad banners on the site.
Anonymous

September 29, 2010, 09:50:23 AM

maybe our wives listen to us, but think that bitcoin is just another game (very obscure game) for beloved husbands...  Smiley

Im surprised they complain considering the amount of time they spend on farmville  Cheesy
Anonymous

September 29, 2010, 09:57:20 AM

http://www.prweb.com/

We could submit bitcoin here as a press release. I nominate the bitcoin blogger to write it!
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: