Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 05:51:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you expect from the halving in 2016?  (Read 20549 times)
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3258

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 07:51:43 AM

Another trick question:

Why do some people insist that the supply of bitcoins will fall at the halving, when the supply of bitcoins will actually continue to rise at the rate of 75 per hour.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Sarthak

Activity: 518
Merit: 501

Error 404: there seems to be nothing here.

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 07:54:51 AM

Another trick question:

Why do some people insist that the supply of bitcoins will fall at the halving, when the supply of bitcoins will actually continue to rise at the rate of 75 per hour.

Sounds Interesting! How does that happen?
The numbers of miner will increase or..?  Huh Huh

RappelzReborn

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 07:59:14 AM

What do you expect from the halving next year regarding price development of Bitcoin?

Currently, the price is very stable although there are created around 3k new Bitcoins every day. In my opinion, the price stability results by a constantly increase of demand. When the supply will be halved in 2016, the price should be grow linear if the current demand stays the same.

What do you think?

I always expect the worse! Bitcoin will die and we'll switch to a new cryptocurrency!

I don't think so , Bitcoin is original and basically all the other cryptoo currencies are some cheap copies of Bitcoin .
So unless someone comeup with a new idea better then Bitcoin and not just a copy of it ... no one is going to switch anything with anything else.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 08:04:54 AM

Another trick question:

i believe they are just talking about the mined supply, not the actual total supply

Another trick question:

Sounds Interesting! How does that happen?
The numbers of miner will increase or..?  Huh Huh

are you serious, he is talking about the total supply, we are around 14M now, it's obvious that it will keep rising until 21M...
Sarthak

Activity: 518
Merit: 501

Error 404: there seems to be nothing here.

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 08:08:20 AM

What do you expect from the halving next year regarding price development of Bitcoin?

Currently, the price is very stable although there are created around 3k new Bitcoins every day. In my opinion, the price stability results by a constantly increase of demand. When the supply will be halved in 2016, the price should be grow linear if the current demand stays the same.

What do you think?

I always expect the worse! Bitcoin will die and we'll switch to a new cryptocurrency!

I don't think so , Bitcoin is original and basically all the other cryptoo currencies are some cheap copies of Bitcoin .
So unless someone comeup with a new idea better then Bitcoin and not just a copy of it ... no one is going to switch anything with anything else.

I don't understand what you mean by Bitcoin is original! Bitcoin wasn't the first cryptocurrency!

Here's a paragraph from Wikipedia!

In 1998, Wei Dai published a description of "b-money", an anonymous, distributed electronic cash system.[17] Shortly thereafter, Nick Szabo created "Bit Gold".[18] Like bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies that would follow it, Bit Gold was an electronic currency system which required users to complete a proof of work function with solutions being cryptographically put together and published

Edit:
are you serious, he is talking about the total supply, we are around 14M now, it's obvious that it will keep rising until 21M...

I'll tell you what I understood and what I didn't!

What I understood:
1) The mining reward halves in every four years!
2) I know we've reached 14M coins!

What I didn't understand:
How will 75 coins increase per hour when the reward will decrease by a half?

Amph
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 08:13:20 AM

What do you think?

I don't understand what you mean by Bitcoin is original! Bitcoin wasn't the first cryptocurrency!

Here's a paragraph from Wikipedia!

In 1998, Wei Dai published a description of "b-money", an anonymous, distributed electronic cash system.[17] Shortly thereafter, Nick Szabo created "Bit Gold".[18] Like bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies that would follow it, Bit Gold was an electronic currency system which required users to complete a proof of work function with solutions being cryptographically put together and published

the difference is that bitcoin is the first decentralized crypto, also those other crypto are not based on complex hash fuctions, they are like electronic money, nothing to do with bitcoin

so yes bitcoin is the first, don'tc compare it to that e-gold centralized garbage
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 03:43:47 PM

The current reward is 25 BTC, which increases the supply at the rate of 150 per hour. After the halving, the supply will continue to increase, but at the rate of 75 BTC per hour.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Unkle

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 05:06:27 PM

I would like to expect that the price of bitcoin will rise with the halving but I'm not so sure. It's hard to say what the price will be tomorrow never mind in a year and halfs time.
Natalia_AnatolioPAMM

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 06:20:56 PM

I would like to expect that the price of bitcoin will rise with the halving but I'm not so sure. It's hard to say what the price will be tomorrow never mind in a year and halfs time.

that's true, bitcoin is unpredictable
tyz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1531

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 10:05:03 PM

And what is your explanation for your assumption? Would be interested how you come to this.

What do you think?

Dotto
Legendary

Activity: 981
Merit: 1005

No maps for these territories

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 10:56:41 PM

I will tell what will happen. The price will be anticipated, so massively that it will crash hard on these days. After that kind of beartrap and then it will stabilize at the previous price and then and only then, will gradually, organically increase.
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 03:56:55 AM

i think if the price can survive long enough till it reaches the halving in 2016 and it stays at this range that it is right now, it is going to go up.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 07:55:02 AM
Last edit: June 05, 2015, 04:32:20 PM by Amph

I will tell what will happen. The price will be anticipated, so massively that it will crash hard on these days. After that kind of beartrap and then it will stabilize at the previous price and then and only then, will gradually, organically increase.

don't hold too much hope in that "gradually increase" it could skyrocket in few days like it did with the 1200, now all those big news are like compressing the "spring"(bitcoin), when they will release it you will see what will happen to the price

for now it's better to expect some more dangerous crash or a bad price for not disappointing your expectations
kingaltcoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 01:19:09 PM

yes i agree that price will rise when production of the coins get halved. but slow rise, don't expect fireworks
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 04:25:34 PM

I think the price is going to go up, then down, and then up again. Or, it will go down, then up, and then down again. Either way, it is going to go up or down, or maybe stay the same.  Wink

Natalia_AnatolioPAMM

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 05:02:22 PM

Another trick question:

where did you get the number from?
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2015, 05:24:33 PM

its an interesting question, because what could happen could affect the price, and the price could affect what could happen.

If the price going into the drop is too low, the network hashrate will decrease because certain mining operations will no longer be profitable. With the dropping out of some cloud mining services over the past year, I imagine many of these operations are operating on razor thin margins and just hoping that the valuation increases.

This, in turn, could increase the percentage of enthusiast miners, that don't care about the price and would support the network regardless. Which potentially increased hoarding, supply goes down, commercial operations come back in...

And the other 2 unknowns that could influence what happens are the costs of energy and any increases in efficiency. And of course the other is general world affaris. Bitcoin as global buffer currency is still a phenomenon that we haven't fully witnessed yet.

So, in summary, I expect more of the same = bitcoin will continue to function as a global asset / currency / remittance system with perhaps a slight redistribution in hashrate.

What is really interesting is to consider what will happen when the block reward is 0, considering the feature meant to compensate is transaction fees, but the blocksize limit hinders the ability of the transactions fees to compensate... so there's a lot of work to be done. In regards to this, I think the halving will wake everyone up to the importance of transaction fees in sustaining the network and get some real solutions to this blocksize problem.

sorry for the OT.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 07:39:48 PM

Another trick question:

where did you get the number from?

apparently some users does read only the last post of the thread...

here for your nuisance

The current reward is 25 BTC, which increases the supply at the rate of 150 per hour. After the halving, the supply will continue to increase, but at the rate of 75 BTC per hour.
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 01:55:39 PM

yes i agree that price will rise when production of the coins get halved. but slow rise, don't expect fireworks
yeah, I agree. even if after halving and all it follow up hype, the bitcoin prices rises it is not going to go to the moon. I doubt if it goes anywhere $1000-$1200 which we saw in the last bubble.

Only Bitcoin
sdmathis

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

AKA The Rubber Monkey

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 09:18:07 PM

There is no reason for anything to happen. If the price of Bitcoin goes up, it will have nothing to do with the mining rewards halving. A decrease in the mining rewards has no effect on the existing money supply.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: