Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 04:47:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you expect from the halving in 2016?  (Read 20548 times)
Alley
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 02:17:39 AM

If price doesn't double I'd say we have a serious problem.  It would basically mean adoption is decreaseing as less money needs to come in daily to maintain price.
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 02:43:58 AM

If price doesn't double I'd say we have a serious problem.  It would basically mean adoption is decreaseing as less money needs to come in daily to maintain price.

The price would increase in the run up to the halving... not necessarily immediately after halving.
So you would have no base to compare to.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 07:30:34 AM

what i predict is that the price will rise after the tx limitation is increase, this will act as a sort of another little block halving, that will encourage many to adopt bitcoin and thus rising its price

so i'm expecting two bubble in 2016 or from late 2015 to the end of 2016
Wexlike
Legendary

Activity: 1473
Merit: 1086

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 09:21:07 AM

The price would increase in the run up to the halving... not necessarily immediately after halving.
So you would have no base to compare to.

I share your opinion. Price will rise in advance to the halving. And the miners won't increase their hashpower, they are going to wait for the reduced block reward.
WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 01:09:13 PM

because of the halving approaching usually, the pump will see the light before the halving. $500 each btc I think

The block halving wont simply double the bitcoin, it seems to send it into another price bubble. Consider we had a move from $10 - $266 and then a move from around $100 - $1200 all off the back of the previous block halving what do you think will happen this time now we are safely above $200 as a start point.
SmoothCurves

Activity: 379
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 08:04:18 PM

because of the halving approaching usually, the pump will see the light before the halving. $500 each btc I think

The block halving wont simply double the bitcoin, it seems to send it into another price bubble. Consider we had a move from $10 - $266 and then a move from around $100 - $1200 all off the back of the previous block halving what do you think will happen this time now we are safely above $200 as a start point.

A bubble to 20k down to 8k then back up to 70k
tommorisonwebdesign

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 08:09:35 PM

I'm hoping the halving in 2016 will double the price in Bitcoin. I'm hoping the value of bitcoin gets to $1000 by then. I have a security contract witgh cloudminr.io and I hope by then I will have profitied quite substantially through trading.

Signatures? How about learning a skill... I don't care either way. Everybody has to make a living somehow.
Natalia_AnatolioPAMM

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 08:23:35 PM

I'm hoping the halving in 2016 will double the price in Bitcoin. I'm hoping the value of bitcoin gets to $1000 by then. I have a security contract witgh cloudminr.io and I hope by then I will have profitied quite substantially through trading.

Doubling seems topic, but bitcoin will go up a bit for sure - if will survive till that time
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 07:36:06 AM

doubling seems the minimum that it should happen with the halving, i'm expecting far more than that to be honest, a good return to the 1k price, will be a better thing to reflect the halving

if we can correct the price by 5 usd every week(like we are doing with the last mini-pump) we have already a 250+ increase before the halving
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3239

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 05:04:56 PM
Last edit: June 25, 2015, 07:12:52 PM by odolvlobo

There is a lot of wishful thinking, speculation, and random guesses in this thread. I can do that too.

It seems pretty straightforward: half the bitcoins, half the price. Sell now.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 05:41:18 PM

There is a lot of wishful thinking, speculation, and random guesses in this thread. I can do that to.

Or wait till it goes back up to $1,200 to buy then sell at $250 cuz you need the money. lol

windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
June 26, 2015, 08:42:58 AM

Lol. Funny troll post.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
June 26, 2015, 10:48:04 AM

doubling seems the minimum that it should happen with the halving, i'm expecting far more than that to be honest, a good return to the 1k price

I expected such a comment from a newbie, but certainly not from a high ranked hero member. You just seem to live in a fantasy world, like plenty of other people here are.
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2015, 11:19:41 AM

doubling seems the minimum that it should happen with the halving, i'm expecting far more than that to be honest, a good return to the 1k price

I expected such a comment from a newbie, but certainly not from a high ranked hero member. You just seem to live in a fantasy world, like plenty of other people here are.

well no there are some bases that tell you why it should skyrocket to x2, and 1k is only x2 that, you really think that it is so far stretched that bitcoin will reach 1k around the next halving? what i believe is that 1k is even a low amount for the next halving

if the demand stay the same(very likely) the price must rise to accomodate the fact that there will be less dumping, this is a fact

now let's give equal chances of a rise and a decline(because they are unknown)

if the demand rise you will get an amount that is above x2 of current price(because of the 12.5 reward)

if the demand decline you will get the same price as now(because of the 12.5 reward)

so we have in the end, 33% chance that it will double due to halving, 33% that it will increase above the doubling of the halving, and 33% that it will stay the same, now it's obvious that the probability is toward a rise...

1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
June 26, 2015, 12:14:23 PM

well no there are some bases that tell you why it should skyrocket to x2, and 1k is only x2 that, you really think that it is so far stretched that bitcoin will reach 1k around the next halving? what i believe is that 1k is even a low amount for the next halving

if the demand stay the same(very likely) the price must rise to accomodate the fact that there will be less dumping, this is a fact

now let's give equal chances of a rise and a decline(because they are unknown)

if the demand rise you will get an amount that is above x2 of current price(because of the 12.5 reward)

if the demand decline you will get the same price as now(because of the 12.5 reward)

so we have in the end, 33% chance that it will double due to halving, 33% that it will increase above the doubling of the halving, and 33% that it will stay the same, now it's obvious that the probability is toward a rise...

It's obvious that the price will increase when there is less supply, most people will agree. Especially when demand stays the same. 50% less supply doesn't mean we'll see the price increase to x2 from current price.

That's what most people hope for, but we still have to deal with a huge load of people who are ready to sell to benefit from the rise. I think a fair estimate would be at around $400 when halving is done.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
June 26, 2015, 12:18:36 PM

It's obvious that the price will increase when there is less supply, most people will agree. Especially when demand stays the same. 50% less supply doesn't mean we'll see the price increase to x2 from current price.

That's what most people hope for, but we still have to deal with a huge load of people who are ready to sell to benefit from the rise. I think a fair estimate would be at around $400 when halving is done.

It would be very interesting to get an idea of where freshly mined coins go. I would guess very, very few hit an exchange. They're either hoarded or sold with pre existing OTC deals.

Either way, other than some sort of psychological boost, I think the effect on price will be borderline negligible unless demand goes through the roof. There are more than enough sellers of existing coins to satisfy everyone.
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2015, 04:29:16 PM

if the demand stay the same(very likely) the price must rise to accommodate the fact that there will be less dumping, this is a fact
33% chance that it will double due to halving, 33% that it will increase above the doubling of the halving, and 33% that it will stay the same

Your assumptions are questionable and the math doesn't work that way because:

1. Supply and demand include all bitcoins, not just newly minted ones.
2. Supply and demand are curves and their intersection determines the price.
3. The halving doesn't decrease the money supply, it decreases the growth of the money supply.
4. Those outcomes not the only possible outcomes and the probabilities are just wild guesses.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2015, 07:16:20 PM
Last edit: June 26, 2015, 07:47:03 PM by Amph

if the demand stay the same(very likely) the price must rise to accommodate the fact that there will be less dumping, this is a fact
33% chance that it will double due to halving, 33% that it will increase above the doubling of the halving, and 33% that it will stay the same

Your assumptions are questionable and the math doesn't work that way because:

1. Supply and demand include all bitcoins, not just newly minted ones.
2. Supply and demand are curves and their intersection determines the price.
3. The halving doesn't decrease the money supply, it decreases the growth of the money supply.
4. Those outcomes not the only possible outcomes and the probabilities are just wild guesses.

i just made it simple without all the hassle about it, i know there are more variables in play(like miners efficiency)

well you can lock one and predict how the market will play, this how you do it with two variables

i was not talking about the total supply of course, but about the mined supply, which is the block reward...

they aren't wild guesses at all, they are all based about what will happen if the demand changes in only 3 possible ways, up, down, remain the same

up and remain the same are in our favor, because of the supply halving unless miners efficiency will be so big, that they will consume 1/2 of what they consume now to match the halving, which is impossible

and there is no guessing here, the efficiency doesn't double within a year, actually it is more slim than many think, around 10%

and anyway it is a matter of simple logic, we know what will happen with the supply, so the only real variable is the demand here, the other variable is the coins that are held by early adopters, but i will not take those into consideration because they are a big portion of demand too, so we can consider them neutral

fact 1 if the demand rise the price must rise, because the supply(mined supply, aka block reward) will be halved
fact 2 if the demand stay the same, the price must rise, because the reward will be halved
fact 3 if the demand decline the price will probably decline, it depend on how much it will decline, because if the decline will not be greater, than the less absorbtion that the market need to absorb, because there are less coins dumped from the miners, then the price will stay the same

so we have two cases where the price will go up and one where it will probably go down, now it is clear like the sun that there are more chances of an increase than a decrease, here no one was talking about a 100% increase scenario, only probability, like always it work
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2015, 09:26:25 PM

At the risk of beating a dead horse ...

i was not talking about the total supply of course, but about the mined supply, which is the block reward...

Then the demand you are talking about must be the demand for newly mined bitcoins, right? Either way, new bitcoins are indistinguishable from old bitcoins, so it doesn't make sense to talk about only new bitcoins.

fact 1 if the demand rise the price must rise, because the supply(mined supply, aka block reward) will be halved
fact 2 if the demand stay the same, the price must rise, because the reward will be halved
fact 3 if the demand decline the price will probably decline, it depend on how much it will decline, because if the decline will not be greater, than the less absorbtion that the market need to absorb, because there are less coins dumped from the miners, then the price will stay the same

Basically, that is invalid because you are comparing the demand for all bitcoins to the supply of new bitcoins. The supply of new bitcoins is halved, but the supply of bitcoins continues to rise.

so we have two cases where the price will go up and one where it will probably go down, now it is clear like the sun that there are more chances of an increase than a decrease, here no one was talking about a 100% increase scenario, only probability, like always it work

I have a bag containing 99 marbles. There are three colors of marbles in the bag: red, green, and blue. If I pick one at random, what is the probability of it not being red? The correct answer is not 2/3. I'll let you figure out why not.

OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
June 27, 2015, 02:10:59 AM

I have a bag containing 99 marbles. There are three colors of marbles in the bag: red, green, and blue. If I pick one at random, what is the probability of it not being red? The correct answer is not 2/3. I'll let you figure out why not.

Ah, that probability would vary between some 6% and 93%!  Depending on how many marbles of each color are in the bag.  Need to have an idea of the distribution of each color in the population, also assuming each marble the same size, texture, physical placement of marbles within the bag, etc.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: