Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 12:36:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL SC Die Guestimation/Speculation  (Read 4082 times)
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 03:19:35 PM

Standard-cell ASICs and synthesis-flow ASICs are not considered full-custom chips.

The phrase "fully custom" is a BFL-ism that sounds a lot like "truthiness" Smiley  In fact the third google hit for "fully custom asic" on the entire interweb is BFL which ought to be a hint that it is a contortion of the usual industry terminology...
I've pointed this out to Inaba too. He also claimed that the fact bASIC had said they were using cell-based ASICs meant that they were using structured ASICs and wouldn't be able to compete with BFL's chips on power efficiency. I'm fairly sure that's wrong?

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 05:05:33 PM

Some general information on ASIC design and production:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application-specific_integrated_circuit

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/7042/how-much-does-it-cost-to-have-a-custom-asic-made

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
SLok

Activity: 568
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 12:10:23 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT-smMzg54k&feature=relmfu

at 0.48  "full-custom asics, etc

By the way, BFL doesn't use the phrase "full custom" to mean the same thing it means in the industry.

We don't?  Please elaborate. (I'm serious, I'm not being snarky.  If we/I am using it incorrectly, then I would like to use the proper term.)

Standard-cell ASICs and synthesis-flow ASICs are not considered full-custom chips.

The phrase "fully custom" is a BFL-ism that sounds a lot like "truthiness" Smiley  In fact the third google hit for "fully custom asic" on the entire interweb is BFL which ought to be a hint that it is a contortion of the usual industry terminology...

WARNING! Don't trade BTC with Bruno Kucinskas aka Gleb Gamow, Phinnaeus Gage, etc Laundering BTC from anonymous sellers, avoid!https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=649176.msg7279994#msg7279994 #TELLFBI #TELLKSAG #TELLIRS WARNING! Darin M. Bicknell, a proclaimed atheist, teaching at the Jakarta CanadianMontessori School. Drop your kids there at your own risk! WARNING! Christian Otzipka - Hildesheim is a known group-buy scammer, avoid! WARNING! Frizz Supertramp, faker with dozens of accounts here! WARNING! Christian "2 coins to see SLOk's" Antkow, still playing his little microphone...WARNING! Slobodan "Stolen Valor" Bogovac, faking being a ProfessorWARNING!Marion Sydney Lynn, google him, errr her, errr.. and lol
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 12:59:35 AM

If Altera HardCopy is used it will be on 28nm, with a maximum of 11.5M gates, or a maximum hash rate of 12.35 GH/s at 1 GHz, but these run at 400-700 MHz typically.

If this really is the case, the power usage will not be much less than the corresponding ASIC.  Altera themselves state, "Average of 50% performance improvement over corresponding FPGA, average of 40% less power consumption compared to corresponding FPGA."  Thus, from a hash/s/w standpoint, the ASIC would be about 200% greater than the corresponding FPGA.  A by-hand design like that of CAST's ASIC would be the only ASIC able to really deliver the kind of power consumption BFL has been hinting at.

That is their older, outdated hardcopy process.

see the new hardcopy info starting here;
http://www.altera.com/devices/asic/asic-index.html

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
mem

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 04:47:55 AM

By the way, BFL doesn't use the phrase "full custom" to mean the same thing it means in the industry.

We don't?  Please elaborate. (I'm serious, I'm not being snarky.  If we/I am using it incorrectly, then I would like to use the proper term.)

"Full of Shit" is the term I use to describe you and your companies claims frequently Inaba, feel free to borrow it.

Honestly as you work for and defend a predatory con artist who scammed senior citizens out of a some totaling over 26 Million USD I think shit is the nicest thing you could be full of.

Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 04:51:56 PM

Full Custom huh.

Reading some on the different ASIC types here:
http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/7042/how-much-does-it-cost-to-have-a-custom-asic-made

They say that the pros of a Full Custom ASIC are the same as with a standard-cell ASIC, but more so.  A Full Custom can deliver even better performance, smaller die size, reduced power consumption, [presumably] lower cost per unit to manufacture, etc.

The cons are also the same as a standard-cell ASIC, but more so.  Design cost and effort required is even higher, and "Odds of screwing something up is much higher".

If BFL is indeed going for a Full Custom design before anyone has even done a [simpler] standard-cell design, I would call this a "shoot the moon" approach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearts#Shooting_the_moon

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 05:31:42 PM

With a standard cell ASIC, default structures are used. Say you want to place an inverter, it might end up looking something like this (in Cadence Virtuoso)

If you want to easily chain together different structures, it works out very nicely. It doesn't mean it's always the most efficient way to lay out a design though. With a full custom ASIC, once you have your schematic you can move away from standard cells and lay out the design in the most efficient way for both size and speed by moving around the location of the transistors and metal layers.

For SHA this would be much less expensive than a comparable sized chip, since you really only have to optimize one hashing engine. All the rest can basically be repeats of your single design.
maxxoccupancy

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 03:08:55 AM

I've also seen something like 654,000 logic gates for a full SHA256 pipeline, which is, of course, much faster than one that has just the 13.5K gates functional unit taking 65 cycles.

I would like to work on development of a polymorphic altcoin that maintains a stable value and is more resistant to fraud.
btc: 15diNSNVontYf5iUvQqnLSQJ9rCAHuwpyJ   betyourbits.com      LTC: LRqVTEPcS7uusMy7JDqYEUg6KqdhfRWC5B
DogECoin: DDHG719WNCCav5MWQQqyxLABFhZTG3jwX3     QRK:  QdKnP5SqoG9r4CNuFcY1oesaYUAsu1W5hF
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: