Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:43:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My response to the community  (Read 17766 times)
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 07:48:22 AM
Last edit: September 24, 2012, 10:58:59 AM by hazek

In hindsight, I no longer see this bet as being funny and I think it was in horrible taste. The community members who were my friends who are standing up against this are right in doing so I and I have no place in the bitcoin community as I clearly don't take it as seriously as everyone else. I am happy to have learned so much from Bitcoin and I'm glad to have shared in many experiences as well, but I cannot discount the claims that I have some issues with manicism as there is no other explanation for my often irrational behavior. I'll be seriously looking at my life and exiting from the community with my sincerest apologies.

Mihai Alisie will be speaking for the Bitcoin Magazine at the London conference. I am in the process of exiting the company completely equity and all in addition to already having resigned as a director and Editor in Chief, as it seems the right thing to do for the future of the magazine.

Ellet's IP is being handed over to a more capable party and I will be exiting any involvement with it.

DCAO is being dismembered and the existing heads will start another organization a bit more seriously toned.

I will not be involved in any businesses in this community any longer. It is clear my immaturity is hurting the community more than I am helping it, and the position I have been in has only resulted in hurting myself and those around me. I'm glad to see that many people did get my joke, but I ask that they not defend me as even I see now that it was crossing all sorts of lines that should never have been crossed and I have absolutely no excuse for it.

I'm sorry I let so many people down that I never even realized actually cared and I hope I can somehow serve as an example of what not to do so that all of this was not a complete waste.

I will now leave how I came.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kentrolla

Activity: 1554
Merit: 565

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 07:51:07 AM

Sad

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
Coinabul

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 07:54:34 AM

Matthew,

I was one of your earliest supporters. It has been fun working with you and bouncing ideas off of you. However, the current events have truly been unforgivable.

I think that you did really harm some people with your actions. The internal strife that your bet created is terrible. The relationships that suffered because of your actions are worth much more than whatever message you tried to make. I think that your decision to leave is a token of grace, no more. I don't know if I want you to stay or if it's truly time for you to go. Part of me thinks that you need to face the community and give back all that you took away by building up the Bitcoin infrastructure that is sorely needed. But the other part of me wonders if you're capable for the task, and if you can ever win back this community.

In any case, here's to the bumpy ride that was, and still is, Bitcoin. We had some good growth and you did do a lot for the community. Whether the sum of your actions is positive or negative, I do not know. Whatever you do, I wish you luck on your future endeavors,

-Jon

(To those harmed by Matthew's debt, this is only meant to be a farewell. I don't want to take a position on either side, thank you.)

Coinabul.com - Gold Unbarred
Website owners, let me put my ads on your site! PM me!
Lethos

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 07:58:22 AM

In hindsight, I no longer see this bet as being funny and I think it was in horrible taste. The community members who were my friends who are standing up against this are right in doing so I and I have no place in the bitcoin community as I clearly don't take it as seriously as everyone else. I am happy to have learned so much from Bitcoin and I'm glad to have shared in many experiences as well, but I cannot discount the claims that I have some issues with manicism as there is no other explanation for my often irrational behavior. I'll be seriously looking at my life and exiting from the community with my sincerest apologies.

Mihai Alisie will be speaking for the Bitcoin Magazine at the London conference. I am in the process of exiting the company completely equity and all in addition to already having resigned as a director and Editor in Chief, as it seems the right thing to do for the future of the magazine.

Ellet's IP is being handed over to a more capable party and I will be exiting any involvement with it.

DCAO is being dismembered and the existing heads will start another organization a bit more seriously toned.

I will not be involved in any businesses in this community any longer. It is clear my immaturity is hurting the community more than I am helping it, and the position I have been in has only resulted in hurting myself and those around me. I'm glad to see that many people did get my joke, but I ask that they not defend me as even I see now that it was crossing all sorts of lines that should never have been crossed and I have absolutely no excuse for it.

I'm sorry I let so many people down that I never even realized actually cared and I hope I can somehow serve as an example of what not to do so that all of this was not a complete waste.

I always watched what you did without saying much about. I'm not one for the Drama, which you often loved getting involved in.
You had the chance to do a lot with your position and by your own admission your immaturity got the better of you.

Apologies are a bit late coming, but I hope this has made you learn the hard way that it's not the best way to act.
People don't forget when you do what you did on this scale, just because you said sorry.

This is something you going to have to live with, that you can't just sweep under the rug at a later date.

hannesnaude

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

Firstbits : 1Hannes

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 08:02:01 AM

What id will you be using for your new account?
Coinoisseur

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 08:03:00 AM

Matthew,

This reads to me as a sincere post. I wish you well, while continuing to disapprove of the damage that's been done, and with respect suggest that you consider seeking some professional help if your quality of life is adversely affected by the kind of behavior we have seen from you recently.

- Coinoisseur

╓▄▌██P                  
                                                 ╔▄▌███▀███▌                   
                                           ▄▄▌██▀▀╚  ╓██╩██                    
                                     ▄▄███▀▀╙      ▄██  ▓█                     
                               ▄▌███▀▀+          ▄█▀   ▐█                      
                        ,▄▌███▀▀¬              ▓█▀     █▄                      
                  ,▄▌███▀▀                  ,██▀      █▌                       
               '█████▌▄▄,                 ╓██╩       ██                        
                  ▀██▌▐▀▀▀█████▌▌▄▄╓    ▄██¬        ▄█                         
                     ▀██▄        ╚▀▀▀████          ▐█═                         
                        ▀██▄        ▓█▀██          █▀                          
                           ▀██▄  ,██▀   █µ        ██                           
                              ▀███Z     ██       ██                            
                                ▐██     ▐█      ▄█                             
                              ,,╓╓█▓▄▌   █▌    ▐█U                             
                        º▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███   ▀█    █▌                              
                          ▀█▓▓▓▓▓████▀█▌  █▌  ██                               
                            ▀███████▌  ▀█µ▀█ ██                                
                              ▀█████     ███▓█                                 
                                ▐███      ▀██Ñ                                 
                                            ▀                             

labestiol

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 08:05:15 AM

I hope this has made you learn the hard way that it's not the best way to act.

1BestioLC7YBVh8Q5LfH6RYURD6MrpP8y6
the_thing

Activity: 546
Merit: 252

Proof-of-Stake Blockchain Network

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 08:28:36 AM

You'll operate under a new account and remain secretly involved in your businesses.

,gaaaaaaaagaaaaaaaaaaaaagaaaaaaaag,
           ,aP8b    _,dYba,       ,adPb,_    d8Ya,
         ,aP"  Yb_,dP"   "Yba, ,adP"   "Yb,_dP  "Ya,
       ,aP"    _88"         )888(         "88_    "Ya,
     ,aP"   _,dP"Yb      ,adP"8"Yba,      dP"Yb,_   "Ya,
   ,aPYb _,dP8    Yb  ,adP"   8   "Yba,  dP    8Yb,_ dPYa,
 ,aP"  YdP" dP     YbdP"      8      "YbdP     Yb "YbP  "Ya,
I8aaaaaa8aaa8baaaaaa88aaaaaaaa8aaaaaaaa88aaaaaad8aaa8aaaaaa8I
`Yb,   d8a, Ya      d8b,      8      ,d8b      aP ,a8b   ,dP'
  "Yb,dP "Ya "8,   dI "Yb,    8    ,dP" Ib   ,8" aP" Yb,dP"
    "Y8,   "YaI8, ,8'   "Yb,  8  ,dP"   `8, ,8IaP"   ,8P"
      "Yb,   `"Y8ad'      "Yb,8,dP"      `ba8P"'   ,dP"
        "Yb,    `"8,        "Y8P"        ,8"'    ,dP"
          "Yb,    `8,         8         ,8'    ,dP"
            "Yb,   `Ya        8        aP'   ,dP"
              "Yb,   "8,      8      ,8"   ,dP"
                "Yb,  `8,     8     ,8'  ,dP"   
                  "Yb, `Ya    8    aP' ,dP"     
                    "Yb, "8,  8  ,8" ,dP"
                      "Yb,`8, 8 ,8',dP"
                        "Yb,Ya8aP,dP"
                          "Y88888P"
                            "Y8P"
                              "       

Free TON

PEER-TO-PEER MULTY-BLOCKCHAIN SYSTEM
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬.
▬▬▬TON SURF - OFFICIAL WALLET.

▄███████████████████▄
        █████████████████████
▄█████  █████████████████████
██████  ████             ████
███     █████████████████████
██████  ████             ████
██████  █████████████████████
███     █████████████████████
███████ ▀███████████████████▀
▀███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▀████
  ████▌                 ██ 
  ▐██▌                     
   █▌

TELEGRAM
FORUM
WIKI
flower1024
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 08:33:35 AM

if you feel so sorry take the btc you have and divide them proportionally.

for me this would be enough

btw: i would have paid (and i expect most others also): or would you have told us that it was just a joke in case that pirate would have paid?
DarkEmi

Activity: 223

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 08:34:24 AM

If you had no intent to scam (and I truly hope that was the case) in the first place then thats really a noble way out.
You destroyed all your credibility.

The one that Amir, Donald, Patrick should have choosen way earlier.

ProProfi.com
The first home improvement service cryptocurrency project
ICO | Discuss on Forum
MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 08:38:00 AM

I don't think Matthew is sorry for anything other than losing the bet.
Below is a not so private skype conversation he initiated with me earlier today.

[9/10/12 3:47:49 PM] Matthew N. Wright: Just wanted to say that I'm sorry for any negative backlash my prank might have caused. I had never intended to take that bet seriously and was laughing for 3 weeks straight for which I honestly thought would be an easy "fuck you", but it turned out I was shortsighted and hurt a bunch of people. That really wasn't my intention and I feel awful. I took the necessary steps for the businesses I'm involved in and have decided to take a back seat to everything from now on.

[9/10/12 3:48:51 PM] Roger Ver: I saw your posts and listed to you on DonkDown Radio.   I don't believe you.

[9/10/12 3:51:15 PM] Matthew N. Wright: Don't believe the posts?
[9/10/12 3:51:37 PM] Matthew N. Wright: Or don't believe that I'm sorry for the backlash of this troll?

[9/10/12 3:51:52 PM] Roger Ver: I don't believe that you intended for it to be a prank from day one.
[9/10/12 3:52:07 PM] Roger Ver: I'm sure you are sorry that you lost the bet.

[9/10/12 3:53:31 PM] Matthew N. Wright: I had discussed the prank with johnthedong, Vicente, and several others beforehand. It was all a show. I heard the arguments as to why it "must have been a scam", but regardless of how it looks, I was caught up in the entertainment.
[9/10/12 3:54:09 PM] Matthew N. Wright: I'm not sorry for trolling the community (it really needed it and I believe I have helped push through some new changes), I'm just sorry so many people who I thought would laugh at it ended up just getting hurt by it. That wasn't intentional.

[9/10/12 3:56:20 PM] Roger Ver: I think your best course of action at this time would be to stop lying about it being a joke from day one.  Then post an apology on the forum telling everyone that you thought you were going to win the bet,  and that you are sorry that you never had the money to make good on your half of the bargain.

[9/10/12 3:59:16 PM] Matthew N. Wright: cbeast has suggested the same thing but I am not sure what an apology would do. Although I know I stepped over a line of sorts, there are people trying to use what I say against me legally at this moment (including Vladimir) and I am not sure what an apology to the community would result in

Coinoisseur

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 08:44:02 AM

[9/10/12 3:53:31 PM] Matthew N. Wright: I had discussed the prank with johnthedong, Vicente, and several others beforehand. It was all a show. I heard the arguments as to why it "must have been a scam", but regardless of how it looks, I was caught up in the entertainment.
[9/10/12 3:54:09 PM] Matthew N. Wright: I'm not sorry for trolling the community (it really needed it and I believe I have helped push through some new changes), I'm just sorry so many people who I thought would laugh at it ended up just getting hurt by it. That wasn't intentional.

[9/10/12 3:56:20 PM] Roger Ver: I think your best course of action at this time would be to stop lying about it being a joke from day one.  Then post an apology on the forum telling everyone that you thought you were going to win the bet,  and that you are sorry that you never had the money to make good on your half of the bargain.

[9/10/12 3:59:16 PM] Matthew N. Wright: cbeast has suggested the same thing but I am not sure what an apology would do. Although I know I stepped over a line of sorts, there are people trying to use what I say against me legally at this moment (including Vladimir) and I am not sure what an apology to the community would result in

Perhaps the sincerity I read is entirely fake. I now emphatically think Matthew should seek some professional psychological help.

I wonder what the people he mentions as being in the know think of this.

╓▄▌██P                  
                                                 ╔▄▌███▀███▌                   
                                           ▄▄▌██▀▀╚  ╓██╩██                    
                                     ▄▄███▀▀╙      ▄██  ▓█                     
                               ▄▌███▀▀+          ▄█▀   ▐█                      
                        ,▄▌███▀▀¬              ▓█▀     █▄                      
                  ,▄▌███▀▀                  ,██▀      █▌                       
               '█████▌▄▄,                 ╓██╩       ██                        
                  ▀██▌▐▀▀▀█████▌▌▄▄╓    ▄██¬        ▄█                         
                     ▀██▄        ╚▀▀▀████          ▐█═                         
                        ▀██▄        ▓█▀██          █▀                          
                           ▀██▄  ,██▀   █µ        ██                           
                              ▀███Z     ██       ██                            
                                ▐██     ▐█      ▄█                             
                              ,,╓╓█▓▄▌   █▌    ▐█U                             
                        º▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███   ▀█    █▌                              
                          ▀█▓▓▓▓▓████▀█▌  █▌  ██                               
                            ▀███████▌  ▀█µ▀█ ██                                
                              ▀█████     ███▓█                                 
                                ▐███      ▀██Ñ                                 
                                            ▀                             

jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 08:44:13 AM

I suppose it is too much to ask that this be the last thread on the matter

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 08:49:02 AM

I'm sorry for you, I hope that the Bitcoin community will grow up the next years.
You have asked too much to some brains.

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
swissmate

Activity: 364

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 08:51:16 AM

I'm really sorry for all of this, you seemed a cool guy.
But that's what happens when someone plays with people's money.

Live long and prosper.
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 08:55:20 AM

LOL at the people still believing anything Matthew has to say.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 09:36:27 AM

Matt, You have never shied away from blunt words. Accordingly, I would love to see you stop beating around the bush and rather say:

"In hindsight, I now see this bet for what it was - a scam."

Indeed the whole stunt would've actually been much less significant if he had admitted from the start that it was a scam. But no, he continues to pretend it was "just a joke". That only makes it worse.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Blind

Activity: 235

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 10:01:19 AM

I wonder how long it will take the trolling sockpuppets to realize I'm not leaving anywhere irregardless of the outcome of the bet.

ROFL. See ya.

Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem. -- Ronald Reagan
blablahblah

Activity: 775

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 10:02:44 AM

Perhaps the sincerity I read is entirely fake. I now emphatically think Matthew should seek some professional psychological help.

Lol. Always the US' of A way! Want moral support and guidance? Go pay someone for it!

I say give the guy a break. People make mistakes, he underestimated people's stupidity, get over it.
Maybe the gamble-aholics who are baying for blood should take a look at themselves? If Matt is such a well-known prankster/troll/clown/whatever, what were you thinking engaging in a bet? Of course you were going to lose by not getting your free winnings.

I reckon MNW should stay if he wants to, the site feature of "scammer" tags is childish, and besides, if he's not here, who will educate the n00bs about the dangers of Nigerian scams?
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 10:08:44 AM

A corrupt society always punishes those that seek to improve it.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: