Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:41:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: TOWN HALL (prep) Meeting: Butterfly Labs  (Read 21795 times)
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2012, 06:12:49 PM

Sonny will answer some or all of the questions in the third post in this thread as time permits.  I hope today (and I am encouraging that time frame).

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinINV

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 07:56:15 PM

Have you always had 229 g/h Inaba?

jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 08:13:21 PM

No one has "always had" any amount of computing power.
freeAgent

Activity: 240

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 08:14:53 PM

It's showing about 470GH/s right now.
BitcoinINV

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 08:19:10 PM

He said he would not use butterfly labs to his advantage as a miner? or did I read that wrong? Or did he get rich?

dooferorg

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 08:44:39 PM

A glance at  http://www.bitcoincharts.com/ seems to indicate that everyone's 'slice of the pie' just got a whole lot smaller.

I see Inaba is mining the crap out of the new ASICs before shipping them...

Snapshot at: 9/21/12 4:45PM EST
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/210/fyp22q2.png/

BTC: 1dooferoD3vnwgez3Jo1E4bFfgMf81LR2
ZEC: t1gnToN2HZW4GD52kofEVdijhRijWjCNfYi
BitcoinINV

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 08:49:37 PM

Q. You are going to have an unfair advantage when it comes to mining equipment, you’ll be able to get as much as you want before anyone else!
 A. I will not be expanding my mining footprint as it would be a conflict of interest.  I will continue with my current obligations and already acquired/paid for equipment but will not be purchasing or utilizing additional equipment as part of my mining operations.  This is one of the hardest changes I will be making, as I firmly believe there are plenty of opportunities in this space that I am going to be missing out on, but I believe I can do more good for the bitcoin community as a whole working to provide that equipment to people as opposed to using it myself.

Just saying... should stick to the plan man... it looks bad to keep your word.

Don't look like your missing out lol

Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 08:51:51 PM

Q. You are going to have an unfair advantage when it comes to mining equipment, you’ll be able to get as much as you want before anyone else!
 A. I will not be expanding my mining footprint as it would be a conflict of interest.  I will continue with my current obligations and already acquired/paid for equipment but will not be purchasing or utilizing additional equipment as part of my mining operations.  This is one of the hardest changes I will be making, as I firmly believe there are plenty of opportunities in this space that I am going to be missing out on, but I believe I can do more good for the bitcoin community as a whole working to provide that equipment to people as opposed to using it myself.

So how big was your mining footprint exactly when you made that statement?

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 08:54:29 PM

He said he would not use butterfly labs to his advantage as a miner? or did I read that wrong? Or did he get rich?
He is mining on behalf of other people who are planning to upgrade and elected not to have their units shipped to them, but instead have Josh mine for them.  This saves them the time lag between shipping the old units back and receiving ASICs, as well as shipment-back costs.

A glance at  http://www.bitcoincharts.com/ seems to indicate that everyone's 'slice of the pie' just got a whole lot smaller.

I see Inaba is mining the crap out of the new ASICs before shipping them...

Snapshot at: 9/21/12 4:45PM EST
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/210/fyp22q2.png/

See above.  He is not mining on ASICs.

A. I will not be expanding my mining footprint as it would be a conflict of interest.  I will continue with my current obligations and already acquired/paid for equipment but will not be purchasing or utilizing additional equipment as part of my mining operations.  This is one of the hardest changes I will be making, as I firmly believe there are plenty of opportunities in this space that I am going to be missing out on, but I believe I can do more good for the bitcoin community as a whole working to provide that equipment to people as opposed to using it myself.

Just saying... should stick to the plan man... it looks bad to keep your word.

Don't look like your missing out lol
He didn't expand his mining operations.  He had a huge farm already, but he is also mining on behalf of other people.  See above.
BitcoinINV

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 08:57:05 PM

Ok that makes sense, just looked funny. I had not read the other threads with the info in it. But why would he only mine with them sometimes? Whats with the increase and drops in hashrate, if he is mining for someone, Would he not keep it on 24/7?

color

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 09:00:46 PM

Josh from Butterfly Labs @ Bitcoin Conference 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT-smMzg54k&feature=colike

edit
not my video
/edit
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 09:03:11 PM

Ok that makes sense, just looked funny. I had not read the other threads with the info in it. But why would he only mine with them sometimes? Whats with the increase and drops in hashrate, if he is mining for someone, Would he not keep it on 24/7?
I think he's hopping between pools?
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 11:00:02 PM

He is mining on behalf of other people who are planning to upgrade and elected not to have their units shipped to them, but instead have Josh mine for them.  This saves them the time lag between shipping the old units back and receiving ASICs, as well as shipment-back costs.

So they are already receiving ppls trade-ins while they have yet to ship a single ASIC?

This should go without saying, but...

Do you know this for a fact (your statement above that Inaba is mining on customers' behalf using their traded-in FPGAs), or are you guessing?  Can you cite a source?

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
fuuka

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 11:22:59 PM

I was planning to pre-order (or just order...) once pictures of hardware had been posted.  That's what I did with the singles.

Definitely selling my singles now.  Not worth the risk, even with Paypal's shitty protection.

BFL has always been a little shady, not giving timely updates being the worst of it, but this is too much.
RHA

Activity: 392

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 11:27:25 PM

So they are already receiving ppls trade-ins while they have yet to ship a single ASIC?

No. They (BFL) will receive these trade-ins not earlier than in day when Inaba (datacenter operator) transport them to BFL office.
It was organized near two months before Inaba was employed by BFL. Now he continues his earlier duties along with helping BFL as BFL_Josh.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 07:20:13 AM

I would like to know what specific functions Sonny carries out within BFL. Is he a director, president, owner, CEO, founder, employee, or a combination of some or all of the above? Also, what is the history of his involvement with BFL?

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2012, 03:44:31 PM

I would like to know what specific functions Sonny carries out within BFL. Is he a director, president, owner, CEO, founder, employee, or a combination of some or all of the above? Also, what is the history of his involvement with BFL?

^ +1. Unlike the other stupid questions, this is really the only one that matters.
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 04:19:48 PM

Q: Have customer preorder funds been used to fund development or inventory costs for the SC line, and if all or a supermajority of your customers requested a refund of their preorder would you be able to provide it?
bobitza

Activity: 560
Merit: 256

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 04:29:04 PM

Hey guys, maybe we should have some technical questions, so we don't turn this session into a 100% witch hunting meeting.

I would like to know:

1. Details on the delivery of first ASICs
- are they still scheduled for end of October?
- what are the risks to delivery dates? (i.e. we are waiting for some shipments that might or might not come) and what's the impact (will put us 2 weeks/months/years behind schedule)
- is there a "cut-off" date for pre-orders? (aka a date after which the 1/3 shipping rule will no longer apply and is basically first come first served?)

2. Details on the future plans and products
- what's the warranty period for the SCs? (I really hope there is one ...)
- any ASIC v.2 planned in near future or full focus on production?

Thanks.

ApeSwap.
The next-gen AMM,
Staking and Farming
Protocol on BSC
           ▄██▄
          ██████
          ██████
          ██████ ▄▄███▄
          █████
███▀ ▀▀█
    ▄█████████████▌    ▀█
   ██▀  ▀█████████▄     ▀█
  ██      █████████▄
 ▄█▀       █████████▄
▀▀          ▀█████████▄
              ▀█████████▄
                ▀█████████▄
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Stake now
for over 900% APR!
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 04:31:44 PM

It's pretty clear from Sonny's message, "I am not a majority owner." (emphasis added), that he is not just an employee (as frequently implied by Inaba), but is actually an owner of the company.

Buy & Hold
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: