Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:07:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Great Silk Road Crash of 20** ...?  (Read 37049 times)
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 01:22:14 AM

so......people buy more btc as SR goes down???

someone hoping to be first back on and get the low drug prices?

I interpret it as SR not actually being that big a deal to the BTC economy after all. 

That or traders actually educated themselves on what was happening (actually not that much) and bought/sold on a rational basis instead of pure panic. PSHHHHT hahahha just kidding on that one.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hyena
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1011

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 09:24:17 AM

they have constantly something wrong there. some icons misplaced is not a biggie. I wonder if you can do load balancing easily in tor network. They don't seem to use RESTful design for example. Because tor is so slow it is really important to optimize the page as much as possible.

★★★ CryptoGraffiti.info ★★★ Hidden Messages Found from the Block Chain (Thread)
Desolator

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 11:18:09 PM

Looks like SR has been partially compromised by means of SQL injection. Damage limited so far, but who knows whats next!
http://www.reddit.com/r/SilkRoad/comments/151sok/sr_quick_buy_is_a_scam/

From the article: "I'm aware of the image hack that has taken place and am working with my team to fix the issue. Whoever was able to pull it off was is very skilled and clever."

...in 2001 maybe, lol.  SQL injections is part of basic programming classes in every college in America (more in the context of preventing them).  All you need to know to do an SQL injection is SQL, lol.  That's a million or so people in the US alone.  What a joke.  Wow so potheads and burnouts can't custom code their own 100% homemade, SQL injection-proof interface that matches the capability level of craigslist.  SHOCKER! They should have just used Angelfire or Tripod or Geocities then Cheesy  I'm surprised they didn't use Wordpress or phpBB2 lol.

Although I still think my idea to act as a rigged TOR node then watch reaction times in millisecons of symmetrical traffic that claim to be hitting the clearnet but are too short would identify the true IP address of their server in about a day.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 07:48:59 AM

Although I still think my idea to act as a rigged TOR node then watch reaction times in millisecons of symmetrical traffic that claim to be hitting the clearnet but are too short would identify the true IP address of their server in about a day.

..and then it would miraculously change.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Desolator

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 05:47:19 PM

That wouldn't matter a bit.  They'd know exactly where the server was hosted even if it changes IPs quickly. Even if they move to an entirely different server, they'd confiscate the old one and possibly some valuable info off of it as to who was running it.  I doubt it's in someone's basement on a residential ISP account, lol.  So it's definitely in a server hosting place somewhere, which is easily accessible by the cops.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 06:00:09 PM

Desolator, and you somehow think you are the first guy that came up with such an idea? I like your youthful completely unfounded self-confidence, really, but step back and look around you Smiley You did not hack SR, so your claim of "everybody and their mom could do it" is worth less than the enter key on your keyboard, i.e. 0 coins.

i am satoshi
Desolator

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 02:38:32 PM

Anyone who writes database-related software of any kind in any language is trained in how not to let your software be vulnerable to SQL injections.  That means we know how to do them as well.  Here, let me teach you the super, extra, amazingly complex way to do it:
Find an improperly filtered input field on a website or in a program or whatever you're targetting then add dummy data, an SQL statement termination character, and a new SQL statement that does anything you want.  Tada, that's it.  The specificl version of SQL, the database structure, etc are some wildcards but for common software like non-customer web interfaces, it's trivially easy to find out both of those.
epetroel

Activity: 431
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 04:36:38 PM

Anyone who writes database-related software of any kind in any language is trained in how not to let your software be vulnerable to SQL injections.

You might be surprised.  Spend a little time looking over questions in the PHP tag on StackOverflow.com and you'll see way too many devs who are completely ignorant about SQL injection Sad
Desolator

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 04:55:49 PM

I meant ones who, like me, actually went to college to learn programming and database design.  Not just someone who attempted to sort of learn it on the internet and only learned the syntax then volunteered for a FOSS project like phpBB3 or something.  That reminds me of all the women in my web design class who knew nothing about computers or servers or the internet.  They just wanted a more modern job than fashion design so they switched degrees and now they make website without knowing what Redhat is or what JPG compression means.  Those people have no business working in IT.
Ploo

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 05:26:01 PM

Quote from: Desolator

Holy shit you must be really smart if you're like the only person smart enough to be able to take down a $20m/year illicit drug market.

I mean, that's a pretty big target, both for authorities and hackers, right? And you're the only one that can do it so all that is left to say is that you're like the smartest person in the world, dude!
Third Way

Activity: 238

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 07:52:06 PM

I meant ones who, like me, actually went to college to learn programming and database design. 

>I meant ones who, like me, 

>like me

>actually went to college

>to learn programming and database design.

The fact you "had" to go to college to learn this is quite telling. Your ego is quite bloated, friend.

blease resbond -> 1BYJKxpntNn6TZbM5M5CWkEb8vr8vDcBrr
meanig

Activity: 531
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 08:07:21 PM

I meant ones who, like me, actually went to college to learn programming and database design.  Not just someone who attempted to sort of learn it on the internet and only learned the syntax then volunteered for a FOSS project like phpBB3 or something.  That reminds me of all the women in my web design class who knew nothing about computers or servers or the internet.  They just wanted a more modern job than fashion design so they switched degrees and now they make website without knowing what Redhat is or what JPG compression means.  Those people have no business working in IT.

You're just acting bitter now because none of them would be your friend. Give up that ghost and get on with your life. There's plenty more fish in the sea!
twolifeinexile

Activity: 154

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 01:48:48 PM

I don't believe Silk Road is going to crash.
By 'The Great Silk Road Crash' I was referring to the BTC price crash that Silk Road disappearing would precipitate.

I don't believe SR is large enough to crash Bitcoin. I don't think we'll even see that big of a dip in prices.
Silk Road revenue is said to be "approximately USD 1.9 million per month". If this demand suddenly disappeared then I think there would be a massive dip. You can also add market panic to the mix.

I want to add that I am not trying to spread FUD with this topic - I just think this is something Bitcoin will have to go through during its evolution.

Well said,
SR is not big enough to get some serious resources to be used to bust them out, once it reaches a critical point that some agency/agencies would took it seriously and dump resources, besides, SR may be get busted all by traditional means (get some random clue from someone, caught one involved, snitch others)
When it happens, bitcoin may endure a hard hit.
Desolator

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 03:58:14 PM

I meant ones who, like me, actually went to college to learn programming and database design. 

>like me

The fact you "had" to go to college to learn this is quite telling. Your ego is quite bloated, friend.

Yes, normal programmers go to college to get real world training from career programmers who actually know what they're talking about.  If you're just some nerd sitting in front of your computer with a textbook you got off Amazon, trying to learn it with zero guidance or on some forum full of arrogant douchebags who pretend they're professional programmers too, good fucking luck.  That's where garbage code with no standards, no comments, and no sense comes from.

If you want to know what kind of software comes from self-taught dumbfucks who are clueless about UI design standards and efficient programming, look at Fedora 18.  It's like me trying to write a symphony and not knowing shit about music, lol.

What a coincidence that the same exact people saying professional programming training isn't necessary are the same ones who talk out their ass about security vulnerabilities and make immature, misguided comments to anyone they view as potentially superior to them because they have no self esteem.  I guess dumbasses about programming are dumbasses about everything in life.
ErebusBat

Activity: 560

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 10:35:49 PM

I love the interwebs

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
carlosiness

Activity: 672

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 06:01:46 PM

don;t panic and be happy, dude Wink

MY ACCOUNT WAS HACKED, BUT THIS ASSHOLE DIDN'T CHANGE THE PASSWORD. I DON'T USED THIS FORUM FOR AGES. YOU COULD SEE IT FROM MY ACTIVITY. I USED THIS FORUM FOR FUN AND TO GET SOME BTC FROM SIGNATURES.. NOW I SEE TERRIBLE POSTS AND CRIMINAL OFFENSE FROM MY ACCOUNT. I FEEL VERY SORRY FOR ALL WHO HARMED FROM THIS LAYER ASSHOLE.. I exported my outbox when he was doing dirty jobs.. OUTBOX HERE FOR DOWNLOAD
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 07:41:56 PM

>like me

Yes, normal programmers go to college to get real world training from career programmers who actually know what they're talking about.  If you're just some nerd sitting in front of your computer with a textbook you got off Amazon, trying to learn it with zero guidance or on some forum full of arrogant douchebags who pretend they're professional programmers too, good fucking luck.  That's where garbage code with no standards, no comments, and no sense comes from.

If you want to know what kind of software comes from self-taught dumbfucks who are clueless about UI design standards and efficient programming, look at Fedora 18.  It's like me trying to write a symphony and not knowing shit about music, lol.

What a coincidence that the same exact people saying professional programming training isn't necessary are the same ones who talk out their ass about security vulnerabilities and make immature, misguided comments to anyone they view as potentially superior to them because they have no self esteem.  I guess dumbasses about programming are dumbasses about everything in life.

The vast majority of the code that monitors satellite and seismographic data to identify nuclear tests for the US gov was written by someone with no formal training in programming.  He was self taught and frequently schooled those with formal training.  However, he is very intelligent.  Not everybody can teach themselves, but formal training isn't necessary for everyone.  I'm almost done with my CS masters and I have a bachelors in CS and Math, but he often teaches me things I would never learn in school.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Darktongue

Activity: 574

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 09:16:59 PM

Desolator, sadly for some argueing this is right. Formal education is a must for ANY trade or practice.  I'd go out on a limb and say yeah you don't need college.  But you cannot do it alone.  You need mentors,  you need critic's and furthermore you actually need a hard hitter like desolator to point this out.

If you want an example as to why.  Go on digital point. Have one of those east indian coders do something extremely simple for you. You will pay for googled code. Ask them to provide source code then do some googleing of your own. You get what you pay for.

At any rate the point is, you can't be 100% self made.  Ask yourself this question involveing a totally different field.  If your house was on fire would you want the trained crew of emergency responders.  Or the weekend on call crew that has basic training?
Zaih

Activity: 504

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 10:56:52 AM

I could see Silk Road getting shut down if the operator(s) made some sort of mistake that inadvertently disclosed their identity.  That mistake could be as simple as spelling some word in a peculiar way and then finding that same misspelling uniquely somewhere else, like here on the forums, or on Facebook, or whatever.

What would be awesome, however, is if the SR operator had a "dead man switch" that automatically disclosed his complete source code to the public in case he ever ceased to run it unexpectedly (died or went to jail or whatever).  Then half a dozen copycats - basically anyone with the balls - could take his place and open up all kinds of markets after he has nothing to lose by sharing his code.  (Meanwhile, the public would get a chance to close any hidden security holes or whatever there might be).

Mike is obviously one of the few who knows who DPR is lol
im3w1l

Activity: 280

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 05:21:22 PM

Ok, I didn't read the whole thread, but I think it would definitely be possible for USG to close down SR. Just pump a lot of traffic at it and see where traffic increases. You will have a lot of noise so do it a whole lot of times. Eventually you will see that everytime you pump traffic at SR,   165.54.43.21  gets a lot of encrypted traffic. GG
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: