Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:11:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Could Monero replace Bitcoin soon?  (Read 33658 times)
psomas2

Activity: 304
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 10:04:39 AM

Nah i dont think so.
Millions of people have invested on bitcoin.
Hardly an other coin will replace it.

Rule #1 Never get emotional when trading.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pandher
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

Stagnation is Death

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2015, 10:10:00 AM

Nah i dont think so.

Although i dont share the idea that Monero will replace Bitcoin but talking about millions investing in Bitcoin, that could change as easy as clicking SELL
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 11:10:15 AM

Yes also add there that it should be a lightweight wallet, because i`m sure , for the sake of usuability, not many people like to hold 20-30 GB blockchains on their PC.

So if a lightweight version becomes possible that would be the holy grail Smiley

Other than that, yes monero is a really privacy friendly coin, with very demanded features, that could replace bitcoin, one distant day in the future, if these minor thing could be fixed.

Lightweight wallets are already a well-known requirement no need to log that. Thanks for the input either way though.

g3rszpi

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 02:54:03 PM

Nah i dont think so.
Yeah, you are right.Until even bitcoin can't hit a stabile price with stabil crowd, we cant even dream about replacing btc.
newb4now

Activity: 686

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 04:24:19 PM

Similar discussion is happening on Reddit now:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/3eqk9s/question_about_monero_vs_bitcoin/
Andrelvogue

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 07:24:30 AM

what do you guys think about these cryptonote technology, should we worry about it? Huh
Maybe in the future but till then bitcoin will still be bigger
owm123

Activity: 392

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 07:35:08 AM

Nope.

Bitcoin is NOT anonymous: http://www.bitcoinisnotanonymous.com
darkagentx

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 07:39:04 AM

Bitcoin could not be replaced by Monero, not soon nor any years in the future. Maybe in a different timeline! Wink

LucyLovesCrypto

Activity: 414
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 10:51:07 AM

Bitcoin could not be replaced by Monero, not soon nor any years in the future. Maybe in a different timeline! Wink

Most of the world has not yet realized the importance of privacy. When that happens Monero has as good of a chance to replace bitcoin as any alternative in assistance today.  Of course other alternatives could come along before the masses rush to privacy tech. It will be fun to wait and see what happens!
CoinThug

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 10:52:13 AM

Nah don't worry about it.
owm123

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 11:11:22 AM

Most of the world has not yet realized the importance of privacy. When that happens Monero has as good of a chance to replace bitcoin as any alternative in assistance today.  Of course other alternatives could come along before the masses rush to privacy tech. It will be fun to wait and see what happens!

"Every week or two, from now on, will see new privacy disasters, each worse than the last. Every week or two, from now on, will see millions of people who suddenly wish there was more they could do to protect their privacy."http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/oct/02/why-is-it-so-hard-to-convince-people-to-care-about-privacy

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 08:45:31 PM

It is possible but not because of fungibility / privacy. It is very possible because of adaptive blocksize limits and a tail emission that addresses the issue of developing a fee market after the block subsidy ends. The latter is the elephant in the room that very few people in the Bitcoin community are even talking about yet lies at the heart of the blocksize debate.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
languagehasmeaning

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 09:11:44 PM

It is possible but not because of fungibility / privacy. It is very possible because of adaptive blocksize limits and a tail emission that addresses the issue of developing a fee market after the block subsidy ends. The latter is the elephant in the room that very few people in the Bitcoin community are even talking about yet lies at the heart of the blocksize debate.

I have seen you make this argument before and I agree adaptive blocksize limits are important.  I am curious why you feel it is MORE important that the fungibility issue
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 01:23:41 AM

Most of the world has not yet realized the importance of privacy. When that happens Monero has as good of a chance to replace bitcoin as any alternative in assistance today.  Of course other alternatives could come along before the masses rush to privacy tech. It will be fun to wait and see what happens!

The interesting thing is that people's ACTIONs depict that privacy is important to them.

Most people may say "Privacy doesn't matter" but in their actions they close their curtains, keep their email passwords safe/secret, and don't plaster their bank statements all over the city.

Privacy does matter all of us in some form or fashion.

Anyone saying they don't care about privacy is lying because in one way or another there is an action that that person does in their daily life that counteracts that statement.

I'm pretty sure people wouldn't want to take a shit in the open streets of manhattan while sitting on a toilet for all people to see right?

I don't see people handing out their SSN on the streets in the form of flyers.

I don't see people living in glass houses for authorities to be able to see every part of your home from the road.

The list goes on and on...

This topic is very important as people don't realize their privacy matters until they are under scrutiny by TPTB.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2015, 01:36:25 AM

Most of the world has not yet realized the importance of privacy. When that happens Monero has as good of a chance to replace bitcoin as any alternative in assistance today.  Of course other alternatives could come along before the masses rush to privacy tech. It will be fun to wait and see what happens!

The interesting thing is that people's ACTIONs depict that privacy is important to them.

Most people may say "Privacy doesn't matter" but in their actions they close their curtains, keep their email passwords safe/secret, and don't plaster their bank statements all over the city.

Anyone saying they don't care about privacy is lying because in one way or another there is an action that that person does in their daily life that counteracts that statement.

I'm pretty sure people wouldn't want to take a shit in the open streets of manhattan while sitting on a toilet for all people to see right?

I don't see people living in glass houses for authorities to be able to see every part of your home from the road.

This topic is very important as people don't realize their privacy matters until they are under scrutiny by TPTB.

I think the remark should be altered to," I don't care know enough about my digital life to achieve a similar privacy to the one I enjoy in the physical world." If you make digital privacy intuitive and easy enough, people won't feel like they need a computer science degree to even try. Imagine if learning to close the blinds took six years of schooling and the vigilance to monitor and evaluate all the newest OPSEC? Or if you had to make the blinds yourself? You'd probably hear a lot of, "I don't care about blinds."

owm123

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 02:30:08 AM

People care about privacy a lot, but they mostly worry about privacy from a neighbor, a thief, or a random person from a street.

But they do not care much about mass survivable. They dont care much, or what is more likely they even dont know, that google has access to all emails, that windows 10's cortana is recording everything, skype recording conversations, etc. Most people view nsa, google, mircrosoft as the 'good guys'.

The most common way of thinking is "I have nothing to worry about, as I have nothing to hide". Meaning hide from police, nsa, google, etc.

tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3948
Merit: 1418

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 02:32:08 AM

Could Monero replace Bitcoin soon?

Simple answer:  No.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Eastwind

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 07:27:20 AM

Simple answer:  No.

They are different coins for different purposes.
newb4now

Activity: 686

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 10:02:25 AM

Simple answer:  No.

They are different coins for different purposes.

Perhaps "replace" is the wrong word for the question. Even when the importance of privacy privacy becomes better recognized, complete transparent will be good for some purposes.

Monero has a view key function to offer transparency, but Bitcoin is transparent by default with little effort needed to trace transactions. Of course the Bitcoin network effect is huge.

Monero can gain substantial market share in time but still not "replace" bitcoin.
dre1982

Activity: 770
Merit: 284

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 10:06:49 AM

Nah i dont think so.

Bitcoin is already so much ahead of all the other coins. Doubt it if there will be one coin with comes close to Bitcoin.

I think it wouldnt happen in the first couple of years.

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: