Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:10:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Could Monero replace Bitcoin soon?  (Read 33653 times)
ultrloa
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 1226

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2016, 06:18:11 AM

No i dont think any altcoin could replace bitcoin ever specially not seeing that happen in the near future.Yes i think Monero has the potential to rise but replacing bitcoin will be too much expectation from it.Any other coin is still very much far away from the bitcoin right now and no altcoin is gonna replace it.

Yes that would not be happen and how could a new altcoin would replace bitcoin? Its blurry situation and cannot be happen eventhough monero have high volume and community because i am very sure that they exchange it to become BTC, because we all really know that bitcoin is more usefull rather than any altcoin existinh out there, theirs no doubt that the price of monera will spike but it will remain there.

I really believe in this coin but I say no it can not replace bit coin soon, maybe one day in the very distant future but not soon

Never in my wildest dream that Monero replacing Bitcoin even in a thousand years.

Monero is nothing compare to bitcoin and for many years of its existence it gather more trust and it has many used in online markets and with monero i dont see any store accepts it  or any merchant that we can use monero to buy some things that we need.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cryptimus prime

Activity: 493
Merit: 551

View Profile
August 12, 2016, 06:37:11 AM

Why is everybody speaking of replacing? Or A vs B?

Some of you speak about the crypto development as if there would just be place for one, just a small piece of cake.  Cheesy
Crypto is still small and of tiny financial significance at the present moment. I simply hate this toxic crypto environment, which is caused by big greed and small brains.  Grin

Ethereum does not need to "replace" BTC in order to be successful. XMR doesn`t need to replace BTC either to function or to grow in value.
The XMR supply is not that high, if there is some interest peak for it due to more need for privacy and fungibility and easier use of XMR then of course the current price won`t hold.
dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
August 12, 2016, 06:45:11 AM

In a certain way, one could say that Monero has already replaced bitcoin in its original conception, namely as an anarchist currency.  Bitcoin has, unfortenately, become an half-institutionalized gambling/speculating tool with more and more demand for state justice, legal interference, and "mainstream regulation".   Most of the market cap of bitcoin is made of speculation as just another financial tool in the big toolbox of financial gamblers, and only a minuscule tiny fraction is devoted to the original goal of bitcoin, which was freedom from state, law and finance.  Monero still has most of that promise, as I don't think that its market cap is mainly driven by financial gamblers.  However, it is true that monero is, as far as I know, not (yet ?) used as a genuine currency, as bitcoin was at a certain point, on the dark net.
So, yes, of course, Monero will never replace bitcoin in the market cap range, as most people with a lot of money actually love state and law (which made them rich in the first place).  Market cap as bitcoin sees it now, measures actually compliance with the state and fiat system, and not its anarchist purpose which will probably remain a tiny fraction of all accumulated wealth in this world, which will stay for stil a long, long time in state and law abiding and abusing hands.
That said, there's no reason why both cannot have a peaceful co-existence, where exchanging (with distributed exchanges) bitcoin into monero provides the way to get back the original purposes of bitcoin, which were freedom from state and law intervention (by statists, called money laundering and illegal financial transactions of course).

The big danger is that bitcoin will have such a thirst for regulation, that it will cause a lot of trouble for anarchist versions of it like monero.  I wouldn't be surprised that at a certain point, anonymous cryptocurrencies will be outlawed, and traceable things like bitcoin will be imposed.
Mzie

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2016, 08:02:40 AM

Monero is a good coin but not good enough for BTC,
Blazin8888

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 06:42:56 AM

Darknet markets are implementing XMR....could be huge
dmarine

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 06:59:14 AM

I don't think so, the main reason is adoption.
dinofelis

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 07:44:20 AM

My idea is that technically and objectively speaking, monero should have replaced bitcoin, but it won't.  It is not because it is technically superior, and solves big issues of something, that it gets adopted, if people don't see the issue.  It is not the first example of a superior system not breaking through, and an inferior system (especially if "first mover") keeping the market.

Linux vs. windows comes to mind, and that comparison is very, very close to the monero-bitcoin comparison.  
Bitcoin is like windows: it is the first mover on personal computer systems.  It has a GAPING SECURITY HOLE: the total lack of anonymity.  People don't seem to care.  They will once it is too late, and regulation sets in severely (ask Ulbricht !).
Monero is like linux.  The small crowd of geeks understanding the difference will not steer the market against the marketing and publicity muscle of the first mover and the start of its vested interests.  I wouldn't even be surprised if the "anonymity hype" will be won by DASH, even though it is totally inferior technology.  Again, windows vs. linux comes to mind.  Or should we say: apple against linux.
Monero is much more grass roots, and DASH is now in the process of setting up a financial hierarchy and vested interests which will do what is needed to sell their inferior although somewhat working product.

But actually, as with linux, it doesn't matter in the end.  The market cap of monero should be high enough (it isn't, for the moment) for it to be a sufficiently strong means of exchange with anonymity.  It shouldn't necessarily be the market leader.  Like linux, the market share of linux is large enough for linux users to use it.  We don't care that windows has the lion's share, and we don't care that an inferior imitation with a lot of marketing (Apple) is also having its cake.

From the moment it is big enough to be a player, that's good enough.
Jalinco

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 05:37:12 PM

I've seen this asked in other places too even though i've never even heard of it. Going to look into as this alt seems to be getting more attention.
Abiky
Legendary

Activity: 3178
Merit: 1359

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 06:33:06 PM

It could be. Still, the more adoption a crypto currency has the more its price and marketcap will rise towards reaching higher rankings. In my opinion, I think that there would be no crypto to replace Bitcoin for now (unless it manages to solve scalability, and other issues first as well as develop a truly unique technology). Bitcoin will remain the #1 original crypto for a pretty long time, and who knows maybe even the price will be above $1000 by then. Just sharing my thoughts  Grin

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Snorek
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 07:04:06 PM

It could be. Still, the more adoption a crypto currency has the more its price and marketcap will rise towards reaching higher rankings. In my opinion, I think that there would be no crypto to replace Bitcoin for now (unless it manages to solve scalability, and other issues first as well as develop a truly unique technology). Bitcoin will remain the #1 original crypto for a pretty long time, and who knows maybe even the price will be above $1000 by then. Just sharing my thoughts  Grin
Honestly I am not that happy with idea of Monero being used as primarily currency of Dark Markets - but I guess it is better for Monero to take scapegoat position than bitcoin.
I guess we now will be having some headlines in mainstream media about how evil Monero network is.

About that position of king of crypto I doubt that bitcoin will be ever dethroned. Bitcoin has something that any of new coins cannot recreate - almost perfect initial distribution of coins.
PeRo

Activity: 1040
Merit: 538

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 07:16:28 PM

No, it will not remove Bitcoin, no alternative cryptocurrency will ever replace Bitcoin. Bitcoin is the first and only good cryptocurrency around, others are just wannabe copies or scam coins. Monero is not good even as an alternatice cryptocurrency.

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██
█████████▀██▀████████
████████▀
░░░░▀░░██████████
███████████▌░░▄▄▄░░░▀████████
███████
█████░░░███▌░░░█████████
███
████████░░░░░░░░░░▄█████████
█████████▀░░░▄████░░░░█████████
███
████▄▄░░░░▀▀▀░░░░▄████████
█████
███▌▄█░░▄▄▄▄█████████
▀████
██████▄██
██████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀
.BitcoinCleanUp.com.

.     Debunking Bitcoin's Energy Use     .
███████████████████████████████
███████▀█████████▀▀▀▀█▀████████
███████▌░▀▀████▀░░░░░░░▄███████
███████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐████████
████████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████
████████▄░░░░░░░░░░░▄██████████
███████▀▀▀░░░░░░░▄▄████████████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄████████████████
...#EndTheFUD...
Abiky
Legendary

Activity: 3178
Merit: 1359

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 07:17:21 PM

About that position of king of crypto I doubt that bitcoin will be ever dethroned. Bitcoin has something that any of new coins cannot recreate - almost perfect initial distribution of coins.

I couldn't agree more with you. Bitcoin is unique and it will be very hard for another alt coin to ever replace it. Also, its creator is a mystery in which I think is another factor which makes Bitcoin a very popular crypto providing true decentralization and the strongest security of any crypto currency network ever available.  Smiley

███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1967

View Profile
August 20, 2016, 07:42:50 PM

I couldn't agree more with you. Bitcoin is unique and it will be very hard for another alt coin to ever replace it. Also, its creator is a mystery in which I think is another factor which makes Bitcoin a very popular crypto providing true decentralization and the strongest security of any crypto currency network ever available.  Smiley

Re: perfect initial distribution of coins

Monero wasn't much different, TBH. I believe the number is still 21million in the end for both coins.

Pretty sure I agree 100% with this guy here:

My idea is that technically and objectively speaking, monero should have replaced bitcoin, but it won't.  It is not because it is technically superior, and solves big issues of something, that it gets adopted, if people don't see the issue.  It is not the first example of a superior system not breaking through, and an inferior system (especially if "first mover") keeping the market.

Linux vs. windows comes to mind, and that comparison is very, very close to the monero-bitcoin comparison.  
Bitcoin is like windows: it is the first mover on personal computer systems.  It has a GAPING SECURITY HOLE: the total lack of anonymity.  People don't seem to care.  They will once it is too late, and regulation sets in severely (ask Ulbricht !).
Monero is like linux.  The small crowd of geeks understanding the difference will not steer the market against the marketing and publicity muscle of the first mover and the start of its vested interests.  I wouldn't even be surprised if the "anonymity hype" will be won by DASH, even though it is totally inferior technology.  Again, windows vs. linux comes to mind.  Or should we say: apple against linux.
Monero is much more grass roots, and DASH is now in the process of setting up a financial hierarchy and vested interests which will do what is needed to sell their inferior although somewhat working product.

But actually, as with linux, it doesn't matter in the end.  The market cap of monero should be high enough (it isn't, for the moment) for it to be a sufficiently strong means of exchange with anonymity.  It shouldn't necessarily be the market leader.  Like linux, the market share of linux is large enough for linux users to use it.  We don't care that windows has the lion's share, and we don't care that an inferior imitation with a lot of marketing (Apple) is also having its cake.

From the moment it is big enough to be a player, that's good enough.

Thanks, very well said. Smiley

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
phishead

Activity: 1873
Merit: 840

Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2016, 01:31:47 AM

Monero wasn't much different, TBH. I believe the number is still 21million in the end for both coins.

It's 18.4 million coins that has a tail emission of 0.3 coins per minute/block(?) at the very end forever.

https://monero.stackexchange.com/questions/9/how-many-monero-will-be-mined-in-total/14#14
owlcatz
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 01:46:28 AM

It's 18.4 million coins that has a tail emission of 0.3 coins per minute/block(?) at the very end forever.

https://monero.stackexchange.com/questions/9/how-many-monero-will-be-mined-in-total/14#14

Thank you for the clarification, appreciated. Love this coin! Cheesy

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
Lineranger

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

https://www.directbet.eu/_Images/TipstersChamp/Ava

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 02:21:27 AM

even dogecoin, litecoin and ethereum will never afford to replace bitcoin
and possibility for monero to dissapeared higher than replaced bitcoin

owlcatz
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 02:25:19 AM

even dogecoin, litecoin and ethereum will never afford to replace bitcoin
and possibility for monero to dissapeared higher than replaced bitcoin

This has nothing to do with shitcoins like doge, litecoin or even other good coins like ETH, why even try to compare? You fail, stop spamming. Tongue

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
ironm@n

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 07:30:26 AM

I think Monero would have to offer something else besides anonymity.
DaveyJones

Activity: 768
Merit: 505

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 08:38:01 AM

Like a dynamic blocksize?
dinofelis

View Profile
August 21, 2016, 11:34:58 AM

I think it is essential.  It is my main issue with bitcoin.  All the rest is technical, but automatic anonymity (and derived fungible money) is essential, and totally absent of bitcoin.

Satoshi *thought* that pseudonymity was sufficient, but he forgot that network analysis and all the links made by transactions make it a traceable item.  Satoshi was also missing an essential cryptographic technique (ring signatures).

I consider bitcoin dangerous for that reason.  40 years after you made a payment, it is still open in the block chain.  You don't know what happens to society in 40 years.  Imagine the Nazis analysing block chain to trace Jews and their friends.

Unfortunately, I'm part of the small crowd of geeks that thinks that way / sees this issue.  Most people don't care. 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: