Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:12:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Could Monero replace Bitcoin soon?  (Read 33653 times)
dwgscale11

Activity: 335
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 06:11:19 PM

what do you guys think about these cryptonote technology, should we worry about it? Huh

Lol, No.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dafar
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

dafar consulting

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 06:15:13 PM

[

But yes, not soon.  I think somewhere in the 2020-2024 range it is likely that 1 XMR = 1 BTC.  But both will be at a much higher fiat/gold price by then.

I hate it when Legendary members talk out of their ass

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
██████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 07:06:25 PM

[

But yes, not soon.  I think somewhere in the 2020-2024 range it is likely that 1 XMR = 1 BTC.  But both will be at a much higher fiat/gold price by then.

I hate it when Legendary members talk out of their ass

Quoted so I can taunt you come 2025

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1440

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 02:31:07 AM

Not soon, even dash can't, dash is no.1 anon coin, monero is no.2, maybe ethereum has the chance to replace bitcoin, but maybe in 10 years.

Dash is not even close to being #2.  Coinmarketcap.com is valuing the supernode capital on an MTM basis.  If that capital, and the stealth instamined millions were to float on the market, dash could drop 90% in a day.  

All of the monero is floating.  The cap numbers for Monero are actual, legit numbers.

But yes, not soon.  I think somewhere in the 2020-2024 range it is likely that 1 XMR = 1 BTC.  But both will be at a much higher fiat/gold price by then.

For me bitcoin's price will have to go down substantially for XMR to catch up if ever it really has a chance to catch up. Why do I think this? Because for XMR to be the no.1 capitalized coin in coinmarketcap.com, a big group of whales from bitcoin must first unload a big part of their BTC and load up on XMR.

Now that XMR is discovering its own market niche people will start to form and build an economy around it. This will take maybe a shorter time than it did forming bitcoin's economy in the dark market. But beware to the community of Monero. You have to accept and embrace the fact that XMR might be seen as the "evil coin" used by criminals, illegal drug peddlers and maybe also terrorists to cover their tracks. This could be an impediment or an advancement in its development depending on your point of view.

There was a reason why Darkcoin dropped the "dark" to be viewed as a more "legitimate" alternative to bitcoin. Maybe they did not want to go to the dark market road. For me that is a big mistake. Monero is going where no one is willing to go. That will push for more advancement of the coin.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2016, 07:38:15 AM

Not soon, even dash can't, dash is no.1 anon coin, monero is no.2, maybe ethereum has the chance to replace bitcoin, but maybe in 10 years.

Dash is not even close to being #2.  Coinmarketcap.com is valuing the supernode capital on an MTM basis.  If that capital, and the stealth instamined millions were to float on the market, dash could drop 90% in a day.  

All of the monero is floating.  The cap numbers for Monero are actual, legit numbers.

But yes, not soon.  I think somewhere in the 2020-2024 range it is likely that 1 XMR = 1 BTC.  But both will be at a much higher fiat/gold price by then.

For me bitcoin's price will have to go down substantially for XMR to catch up if ever it really has a chance to catch up. Why do I think this? Because for XMR to be the no.1 capitalized coin in coinmarketcap.com, a big group of whales from bitcoin must first unload a big part of their BTC and load up on XMR.

Now that XMR is discovering its own market niche people will start to form and build an economy around it. This will take maybe a shorter time than it did forming bitcoin's economy in the dark market. But beware to the community of Monero. You have to accept and embrace the fact that XMR might be seen as the "evil coin" used by criminals, illegal drug peddlers and maybe also terrorists to cover their tracks. This could be an impediment or an advancement in its development depending on your point of view.

There was a reason why Darkcoin dropped the "dark" to be viewed as a more "legitimate" alternative to bitcoin. Maybe they did not want to go to the dark market road. For me that is a big mistake. Monero is going where no one is willing to go. That will push for more advancement of the coin.

"Man wird am besten für seine Tugenden bestraft." --Nietzsche

phishead

Activity: 1873
Merit: 840

Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2016, 07:48:32 AM

You really think that when some whale unloads his bags for Monero, that the people receiving Bitcoin is going to automatically sell it for fiat?  If the majority of people do not, then Bitcoin would not lose it's value which could be said for XMR too since they are indirectly tied together. Personally I can't see people trading altcoins regularly to be the ones who would "cash out" so easily in and out of cryptos like that.
dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 08:49:20 AM

I think that a potential anarchist weapon should be tested real world in the criminal sphere (in the same way that states test their weapons in warfare).  Bitcoin has gone the institutional side, Winkelvoss type, and is somewhat lost as anarchist weapon, and has become of late more a trap for people looking for freedom rather than a tool in their endeavour. 

The goal of a crypto currency is not to have the biggest market cap.   The market cap should be big enough such that individual trades are small enough compared to it not to "crash the market", so there is some need of market cap.  But if a bigger market cap only comes through regulation and institutionalisation, it is useless.   The economy using it (for real, as a means of exchange) should be diverse and large enough for it to be a genuine useful means of exchange.  But that's it.  Bitcoin has not a very large use as a means of exchange: it is mainly a speculation tool, and a "store of value".  In fact, cryptos only serious use as a means of exchange has been in darknets.  It is now somewhat used as a means of payment for software services (VPS, VPN...). 

From the moment that distributed crypto exchanges exist (and that's easier to do than distributed FIAT/crypto exchanges), in fact, all crypto is the same market.  You can then easily change from bitcoin to monero to whatever coin in a hopefully anonymous and unstoppable way, and all these markets unite, in the same way as most fiat markets are united by FX exchanges.

So there is no need for monero to replace bitcoin.  It is very well that monero's resistance to state warfare is tested in the real world instead of in flame wars on forums, to see what the technology really has to offer.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 11:13:54 AM

I think that you will find Monero something of a disappointment as an "anarchist weapon".  Consider that it has regulatory compliance features baked in.  Not auspicious. It is cash. It's really no more of an anarchist weapon than is a dollar bill.  Anti-fascist, maybe.  Anarchist, not so much.

I think it would be much safer to say that it is a disruptive technology.  That will threaten many established interests, but rather than creating an anarchic power vacuum, it will displace some power from holders of legacy currencies. Most of those newly empowered will not be anarchists.  Some will be anomic, deviant.  Certainly the DNM demographic will be over-represented in early stages, but in the long run who has the most to protect, the most need of privacy?  The wealthy and the powerful.  Serving their interests is not likely to please most self-identified anarchists.

(Disclosure: Myself, I am an anarchist, in some senses.  I consider intelligent liberty to be the highest form of utility, and consider nation-states to be murderous rapacious gangs of thugs, responsible for hundreds of millions of lost lives, operating lawlessly under the color of law.  In other senses I am not. I order my life by my understanding of divine law, and seek to be scrupulously compliant with prevailing legal norms and authorities wherever it is not in conflict with higher laws.)

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
passivebesiege

Activity: 854
Merit: 502

CTO & Spokesman

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2016, 12:40:25 PM

what do you guys think about these cryptonote technology, should we worry about it? Huh
I think need to make it more usable first before saying it will replace to bitcoin,  and I read article about this coin but still not convince that it will make there own name and get a high value. Break the price of ethereum first before assume  monero will replace  bitcoin.
dinofelis

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 12:52:38 PM

I think that you will find Monero something of a disappointment as an "anarchist weapon".  Consider that it has regulatory compliance features baked in.  Not auspicious. It is cash. It's really no more of an anarchist weapon than is a dollar bill.

The dollar bill is a strong anarchist weapon, like gold was.  One is fighting the dollar bill exactly for that reason. But the dollar bill has the problem of being a physical object, which leaves physical traces, and cannot be transported invisibly to a random person or group or entity somewhere else in the world.  You need physical contact to transfer it.  You need to store it somewhere you can reach it.  It can be found.  It can easily be stolen.  If you take an air plane, and you take $ 1000 000 in dollar bills, there's a risk to be found.  If you have a monero address somewhere on an encrypted device, or even as a brain wallet, there's no trace.   Nobody can know you have it.  Of course, you can chose to reveal it.  But one cannot force you.  You may die with your secret, transmit it to relatives, no-one will ever know.

I call an anarchist weapon, something the state cannot steal, cannot block, cannot use against you when you use it to enjoy your freedom.
dinofelis

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 01:03:25 PM

I think need to make it more usable first before saying it will replace to bitcoin,  and I read article about this coin but still not convince that it will make there own name and get a high value. Break the price of ethereum first before assume  monero will replace  bitcoin.

The market cap is not the essence of a crypto currency.  There needs to be a market cap, but the height is irrelevant from the moment it is high enough to be able to "carry" all transactions you would like to.  It looks like bitcoin is more of a speculative tool (the hope of moon one day and Hodling on one hand, and trader's volatility joy on the other) rather than a useful currency to buy stuff with.   The part of the market cap of bitcoin that is actually used to buy stuff with must be really small (i'm talking about what Fisher's formula would give you, if you know the total amount of goods and services bought with bitcoin - apart from other crypto or cash of course - and the velocity by which a coin earned that way is spend again on goods and services).  A wild guess is that a single bitcoin would probably only be of the order of $10 or less if that was the only driver of its market cap, although I don't know.
Labumi

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 02:50:49 PM

The market cap is not the essence of a crypto currency.  There needs to be a market cap, but the height is irrelevant from the moment it is high enough to be able to "carry" all transactions you would like to.  It looks like bitcoin is more of a speculative tool (the hope of moon one day and Hodling on one hand, and trader's volatility joy on the other) rather than a useful currency to buy stuff with.   The part of the market cap of bitcoin that is actually used to buy stuff with must be really small (i'm talking about what Fisher's formula would give you, if you know the total amount of goods and services bought with bitcoin - apart from other crypto or cash of course - and the velocity by which a coin earned that way is spend again on goods and services).  A wild guess is that a single bitcoin would probably only be of the order of $10 or less if that was the only driver of its market cap, although I don't know.

I don't understand exactly what you mean. However, according to my understanding that you say that bitcoin is not going to be something that is bad for all things, for all that is in the bitcoin also already exists in other digital currencies, Bitcoin also appeared to help things that cannot be done by other digital currencies. And I think that for now the bitcoin yet into something quite pleasant, because it does not yet have a clear legal
dinofelis

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 03:32:07 PM

I don't understand exactly what you mean.

To me, a crypto currency is a means of doing something, of empowering your freedom of action, in this case, as a free means of exchange with no meddling in.  The freedom to produce value for others, and obtain value produced by others, without getting ripped off, hindered, or obliged to ask for permission to a set of thugs that call themselves the state or any other maffia.  The freedom to give that power to whoever you like, for the reasons that are yours, and yours only.

The need for a means of exchange is so essential in all economic relationships, that you can compare it to the bloodstream in a living being.  If you have control over the blood stream, you control the essence of the living being.  The state understood this.  So it takes full control of all economic exchange, by controlling, verifying, tapping 50% or so from, each and every little blood stream in the living body which is our society, and goes after everyone trying to have a drop of blood exchanged without its prying eyes and sticky fingers on it ; then the state goes on and labels these victims "fraudsters", "tax evaders", "illegal traders", etc... and turns them into criminals.

There have existed physical goods that were good means of "blood" that helped people exchange value: gold and cash.  But them being physical goods, they carry with them all the limitations and risks of physical goods.

Crypto is the first time a means of exchange has been invented that is as handy as cash (or almost so), and has not these problems of physical goods.  Bitcoin was a brilliant invention.
But bitcoin is mainly NOT used to do that.  Bitcoin is mainly used by people speculating on it, thinking they can get value from its increase in price as an early adopter (hodlers), or by trading on its volatility.  Most of its market cap is made of this, and not by being used as the tool in economic exchange without state meddling or state theft.  Bitcoin is mainly NOT used as the blood in the veins of free exchange, but as a gamblers (sorry, "investors") token in the big financial casino.

And bitcoin has a serious flaw in it, its traceability, if you want to use it to enjoy your freedom of exchanging value with other people, or giving value to people you like for whatever reason.

The part of the value of bitcoin that comes from "being blood in the veins of free exchange" is pretty small as compared to its market cap.

If you use a means of exchange SIMPLY as a means of exchange, it acquires a price, by Fisher's formula: P x Q = M x V, because you keep the finite amount of tokens during a finite time between two exchanges.  If I work today, I earn X value, stored in that means of exchange, which I spend next week for about X value in consumed goods and services.  This "X value" and this "one week" is what gives the means of exchange a finite price.
I will for the moment assume that dollars are a good indicator of market value (it is, in the short term).  There are 15 million bitcoin.  Imagine that on average, every bitcoin is held one week between acquiring it for some goods or services, and spending it on other goods and services.  Say, people work to acquire bitcoin, and spend that amount of bitcoin on average 1 week later.  So every week, 15 million bitcoin are acquired by working, and 15 million bitcoin are spend in this example.  Suppose that in a whole year, people earn and spend for 15 billion dollar that way.  That's quite huge, isn't it.  Bitcoin is NOT used that way, is it.
Well, if that were the case, then the dollar price of a single bitcoin would be 1 000 / 52 = $19.
Of course, if people would on average wait one month between earning a bitcoin, and spending it, if 15 billion dollar a year is earned and spend with bitcoin, its price would be about $80.

I'm pretty sure that is NOT the case, and if it is, the only place where that can be the case is dark markets.

This is why I say that the actual "currency" part of the bitcoin market cap is way, way below the actual market cap and price, which is mainly speculation, and not "earning them and spending them", the blood in the veins of free exchange.

The problem is that the state doesn't like that free flowing blood, and that you put yourself at serious risk doing so, and bitcoin is simply cryptographically not protecting you ; on the contrary.   The traceability of its open ledger is a privacy nightmare.

This is why I say that for an actual usage, as "blood in the veins of free exchange" you do not need the market cap of bitcoin.  You need a certain market cap, but it doesn't need to be as high as the 10 billion of bitcoin.  And to "replace bitcoin" in the veins of free exchange is probably not such a huge task either, because my impression is that bitcoin is not used much for that.  It was probably more used for that in the old days (on dark markets) than now when people realized that they are graving their transactions in the open for eternity.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 05:47:35 PM
Last edit: August 26, 2016, 06:44:45 PM by ArticMine

To me, a crypto currency is a means of doing something, of empowering your freedom of action, in this case, as a free means of exchange with no meddling in.  The freedom to produce value for others, and obtain value produced by others, without getting ripped off, hindered, or obliged to ask for permission to a set of thugs that call themselves the state or any other maffia.  The freedom to give that power to whoever you like, for the reasons that are yours, and yours only.

The need for a means of exchange is so essential in all economic relationships, that you can compare it to the bloodstream in a living being.  If you have control over the blood stream, you control the essence of the living being.  The state understood this.  So it takes full control of all economic exchange, by controlling, verifying, tapping 50% or so from, each and every little blood stream in the living body which is our society, and goes after everyone trying to have a drop of blood exchanged without its prying eyes and sticky fingers on it ; then the state goes on and labels these victims "fraudsters", "tax evaders", "illegal traders", etc... and turns them into criminals.

There have existed physical goods that were good means of "blood" that helped people exchange value: gold and cash.  But them being physical goods, they carry with them all the limitations and risks of physical goods.

Crypto is the first time a means of exchange has been invented that is as handy as cash (or almost so), and has not these problems of physical goods.  Bitcoin was a brilliant invention.
But bitcoin is mainly NOT used to do that.  Bitcoin is mainly used by people speculating on it, thinking they can get value from its increase in price as an early adopter (hodlers), or by trading on its volatility.  Most of its market cap is made of this, and not by being used as the tool in economic exchange without state meddling or state theft.  Bitcoin is mainly NOT used as the blood in the veins of free exchange, but as a gamblers (sorry, "investors") token in the big financial casino.

And bitcoin has a serious flaw in it, its traceability, if you want to use it to enjoy your freedom of exchanging value with other people, or giving value to people you like for whatever reason.

The part of the value of bitcoin that comes from "being blood in the veins of free exchange" is pretty small as compared to its market cap.

If you use a means of exchange SIMPLY as a means of exchange, it acquires a price, by Fisher's formula: P x Q = M x V, because you keep the finite amount of tokens during a finite time between two exchanges.  If I work today, I earn X value, stored in that means of exchange, which I spend next week for about X value in consumed goods and services.  This "X value" and this "one week" is what gives the means of exchange a finite price.
I will for the moment assume that dollars are a good indicator of market value (it is, in the short term).  There are 15 million bitcoin.  Imagine that on average, every bitcoin is held one week between acquiring it for some goods or services, and spending it on other goods and services.  Say, people work to acquire bitcoin, and spend that amount of bitcoin on average 1 week later.  So every week, 15 million bitcoin are acquired by working, and 15 million bitcoin are spend in this example.  Suppose that in a whole year, people earn and spend for 15 billion dollar that way.  That's quite huge, isn't it.  Bitcoin is NOT used that way, is it.
Well, if that were the case, then the dollar price of a single bitcoin would be 1 000 / 52 = $19.
Of course, if people would on average wait one month between earning a bitcoin, and spending it, if 15 billion dollar a year is earned and spend with bitcoin, its price would be about $80.

I'm pretty sure that is NOT the case, and if it is, the only place where that can be the case is dark markets.

This is why I say that the actual "currency" part of the bitcoin market cap is way, way below the actual market cap and price, which is mainly speculation, and not "earning them and spending them", the blood in the veins of free exchange.

The problem is that the state doesn't like that free flowing blood, and that you put yourself at serious risk doing so, and bitcoin is simply cryptographically not protecting you ; on the contrary.   The traceability of its open ledger is a privacy nightmare.

This is why I say that for an actual usage, as "blood in the veins of free exchange" you do not need the market cap of bitcoin.  You need a certain market cap, but it doesn't need to be as high as the 10 billion of bitcoin.  And to "replace bitcoin" in the veins of free exchange is probably not such a huge task either, because my impression is that bitcoin is not used much for that.  It was probably more used for that in the old days (on dark markets) than now when people realized that they are graving their transactions in the open for eternity.

This makes some very valid points, nevertheless there are some areas where I have to disagree.

1) The state is by far not the biggest source of friction in the current fiat money system. Most of the friction comes from the actions of entrenched players such as banks, credit card issuers and other entrenched providers such as Western Union. These entrenched private sector payment providers are for the most part responsible for most of the fees and restrictions with electronic fiat payments today. I actually doubt that crypto will have that much impact on the state. We must keep in mind that in the 1950's and 1960's top marginal income tax rates were close and in some cases over 100% of income, yet for the most part transactions were in the form of cash and bearer instruments (bonds, stocks etc). The role of the banks and other payment intermediaries was greatly diminished when compared to today. Crypto in this respect is in fact turning back the clock by 50 - 60 years.

2) The role of speculators and investors in crypto currency is to anticipate the future value of a crypto currency due to market use under Fisher's formula. One would expect during the initial growth phase of a crypto currency that a very significant part if not most of the market capitalization is due to investment and speculation. This is both normal and actually necessary for the crypto currecny to function as money in commerce; however one must always keep in mind that the ultimate justification is the future value of the crypto currency for use in commerce. The market is simply attempting to predict this future value. In this respect Monero is no different from Bitcoin.

3) Bitcoin has a very significant problem that is completely orthogonal to privacy, anonymity and fungibility. This is of course the protocol limitation of the 1 MB fixed blocksize limit. Furthermore there no clear solution to this problem in Bitcoin that does not lead over time to a situation where the Bitcoin miners do not have an incentive to secure the network. Monero has addressed this issue with a tail emission. I must emphasize this. A Monero style adaptive blocksize without a tail emission such as is the case in Bytecoin, is a prescription for disaster.. This is why the blocksize limit in Bitcoin is so intractable, and why those in the small block Bitcoin camp also have very valid arguments. Bitcoin like coins such as Litecoin and Dash also have the same fundamental problem as Bitcoin here since they both have a fixed maximum number of coins. Dogecoin could safely use a Monero style adaptive blocksize limit since it also a tail emission.

Monero could over time overtake Bitcoin in market cap simply by taking over the growth in the demand for crypto that Bitcion cannot accommodate. This is because accommodating such growth while maintaining the security of the Bitcoin network, may well require breaking a fundamental social covenant of Bitcoin; namely the 21 million XBT limit. The privacy, anonymity and fungibility aspect of Monero would simply add fuel to the fire.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
XbladeX
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 07:17:19 PM

Yea if it will be so popular in terrorist world then all exchanges based in civilized countries will be force to stop trading it.
All people who will have open xmr wallet will be juge as terrorist and you will see that masses 10 person per day able to use XMR.
Do you think that any government will allow such tool to exist,they will put in prison for having XMR client in computer.
You will see liquid of XMR hmm bugattis which are sold once per year at dealer if goverment will ban such coin.
Terrorism is good ecscuse for them for more control in USA currently you can go to jail without court for forever because they suspect that you are terrorist.
If they target XMR as terrorist money GL to that coin. Dev will land in prison as well as it was with guys who was developing disk encryption.
They claim that disk encryption is weapon and he went to jail Cheesy.
You won't hide with your xmr in hole dark net is nice marketing stuff but it can be really death blow at end for coin.

PS: A day when XMR would be popular in terrorist community its best day to sell IMO.

Request / 26th September / 2022 APP-06-22-4587
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2016, 07:49:52 PM

Yea if it will be so popular in terrorist world then all exchanges based in civilized countries will be force to stop trading it.
All people who will have open xmr wallet will be juge as terrorist and you will see that masses 10 person per day able to use XMR.
Do you think that any government will allow such tool to exist,they will put in prison for having XMR client in computer.
You will see liquid of XMR hmm bugattis which are sold once per year at dealer if goverment will ban such coin.
Terrorism is good ecscuse for them for more control in USA currently you can go to jail without court for forever because they suspect that you are terrorist.
If they target XMR as terrorist money GL to that coin. Dev will land in prison as well as it was with guys who was developing disk encryption.
You won't hide with your xmr in hole dark net is nice marketing stuff but it can be really death blow at end for coin.

PS: A day when XMR would be popular in terrorist community its best day to sell IMO.

The problem with that scenario: if you ban Monero by name, and do not ban its attributes, you'll end up with dozens of forked coins to take Monero's place--Monero doesn't break any laws, so laws would have to be made (and then designed around) to make Monero illegal, and the more specific the law, the more likely you'll just get a whack-a-mole scenario similar to designer drugs. Plus, you seem to miss that US law isn't world law just yet(China and Russia might embrace Monero or vice versa if countries want to go that route) and it's still impossible to keep people from downloading wallets or creating games that don't use Monero as game currency, but certainly give you the option to deposit XMR, move to a country where it's legal and then spend as you see fit (CK plug).

obit33

Activity: 514
Merit: 258

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 08:03:54 PM

unbelievable... all the exact same arguments that were used in 2012 and 2013 against bitcoin are now used against monero...

very very very bullish!

best regards

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 08:09:03 PM

The problem with that scenario: if you ban Monero by name, and do not ban its attributes, you'll end up with dozens of forked coins to take Monero's place--Monero doesn't break any laws, so laws would have to be made (and then designed around) to make Monero illegal, and the more specific the law, the more likely you'll just get a whack-a-mole scenario similar to designer drugs. Plus, you seem to miss that US law isn't world law just yet(China and Russia might embrace Monero or vice versa if countries want to go that route) and it's still impossible to keep people from downloading wallets or creating games that don't use Monero as game currency, but certainly give you the option to deposit XMR, move to a country where it's legal and then spend as you see fit (CK plug).

Interestingly one can legitimately argue that because of its lack of a premine and that there is no diversion of the emission to pay developers, promoters etc., Monero is one of very few crypto currencies that is in compliance with existing laws in the United States. To understand why I suggest reading the guidance from FinCEN https://fincen.gov/statutes_regs/guidance/html/FIN-2013-G001.html. Then ask the question: How many other crypto currencies meet the definition of "de-centralized convertible virtual currency" under the guidance?

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
XbladeX
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 08:10:48 PM

Do you think that world powers will allow to use XMR on their territory ?
They will alow if they control it. When switzland doesn want to release info about some money transfers then some sad men
comes to Switzland and they have convinced them to make changes i guess they had "good" arguments.
Today because of money loudering you have more restricted laws when it will be needed all XMR exchanges will go down
they will impose good law and they will shut it down. XMR would exist p2p but you wont get any fiat window for it that will couse hard drop in volume.
If you want challenge a biggest superpowers and help terrorists with XMR you are on loose side.
And big Russia and China they don't want to much freedom for their people and XMR is problem for them too.
If XMR will be popular in terrorists group it will be shut down.

XbladeX
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 08:16:06 PM

unbelievable... all the exact same arguments that were used in 2012 and 2013 against bitcoin are now used against monero...

very very very bullish!

best regards

But XMR is now 50M while BTC 900m.
So when you will get like 500m and volume over 10m $ it will bring attention,
when terrorist/drug dealers will start using it for real that will be end of XMR.
Today just one transport of cocaine is worth probably 50m Cheesy...

PS: Bitcoin is traceable is not such dangerous it's less dangerous than real cash ^^

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: