Poll
Question: Is the earth a globe/sphere?
Of course! - 31 (62%)
No, we've been lied to. - 17 (34%)
I just don't know for sure... - 2 (4%)
Total Voters: 50

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is there such an insurgence of flat-earthers in 2015?  (Read 29769 times)
criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 03:35:51 PM

You're not allowed to wander off on your own....

So you mean i will be only able to walk over areas with no gravitation  or where they build an anti gravitation device so that i dont notice the 10.000+++ lbs?

The Earth is stationary, it's the Sun that orbits.

I see now, but then we could not explain why the rest of our sunsystem works like it works.

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
        ██████    ██████████████████▄
       ██████     ███████████████████
      ██████                   █████
  ██████
 ███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ████████████████████████████████████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀
.LATTICE - A New Paradigm of Decentralized Finance.

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 03:38:44 PM

Why? Because the Earth is in fact flat.

Cool! All hail Terry Pratchett Smiley! Can someone tell me where can I find the Rim on Travelrepublic or on booking.com? Some reviews about the best hotels there would be also useful Smiley.

I'm sorry I forgot to mention. The UN has declared the Antarctic off limits, to the public.

"The treaty, entering into force in 1961 and as of 2015 having 52 parties,[2] sets aside Antarctica as a scientific preserve, establishes freedom of scientific investigation and bans military activity on that continent. "

Not sure what u mean.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Antarctica

*edit

Was actually just thinking of booking a trip and see if i really weight 17.000 lbs there lol

Are your weight figures based on gravity? The idea is with a flat Earth, gravity either doesn't exist, or doesn't work the way we think it does.

Google this:

Gravitational lens. Examples like this shows that our understanding of gravity is correct

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
        ██████    ██████████████████▄
       ██████     ███████████████████
  ██████
 ███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ████████████████████████████████████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀
.LATTICE - A New Paradigm of Decentralized Finance.

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 03:46:03 PM

Why? Because the Earth is in fact flat.

Cool! All hail Terry Pratchett Smiley! Can someone tell me where can I find the Rim on Travelrepublic or on booking.com? Some reviews about the best hotels there would be also useful Smiley.

I'm sorry I forgot to mention. The UN has declared the Antarctic off limits, to the public.

"The treaty, entering into force in 1961 and as of 2015 having 52 parties,[2] sets aside Antarctica as a scientific preserve, establishes freedom of scientific investigation and bans military activity on that continent. "

Not sure what u mean.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Antarctica

*edit

Was actually just thinking of booking a trip and see if i really weight 17.000 lbs there lol

Are your weight figures based on gravity? The idea is with a flat Earth, gravity either doesn't exist, or doesn't work the way we think it does.

Google this:

Gravitational lens. Examples like this shows that our understanding of gravity is correct

Gravity like centrifugal force is fictitious.   
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2015, 03:52:42 PM

Why is there such an insurgence of flat-earthers in 2015?
The same reason we have so many climate change denialists in 2015: many/most children are brainwashed with superstitious pseudo-reasoning during their formative years by organized religions.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 03:56:43 PM
Last edit: July 19, 2015, 04:07:02 PM by Wilikon

Off topic: (consciousness)

Remember that stupid story about the dress? Was the dress gold and brown or blue and black? That morning I saw that stupid dress and could not believe some people could see it blue and black. I could not understand what all the fuss was about. It was clearly gold and brown. And not yellow. I mean GOLD and BROWN. Not doubt about it. I was laughing so hard and felt sad for the people who only saw it as blue and black. I've looked at the dress on my calibrated monitor on my PC. I've looked at the same article on my ipad. The dress was definitely gold and brown.

Then later that day an article put what I was seeing as gold and brown, then scrolling down the same article was showing the same dress, but in a different picture. When I scrolled back up to compare the first image of that dress in the same article I could no longer see it as gold and brown...

This is one of the most bizarre experience in my life. My reality got a .1 update in real time. Until today I can not see the color I was seeing the first time I saw that dress.

Maybe Physical Reality is an established consensus among sentient observers...

TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2015, 04:28:23 PM

Because the Earth is in fact flat.
Oh, it's FACT is it?

It would have been better if you had tried to debunk what he said in a form of debate instead of asking a question to something he's already stated.

I've read about this a while back. I had no idea it was such big "movement..."

Cool

The Earth is FLAT ~The planes help to prove the plane - Video that shows how far flights should be according to Google Maps, and then tries to book flights. Also shows the flight paths, that look odd on a globe, but make sense on a flat earth map.

The Horizon doesn't curve, Ships Zoom, Flat Earth - Shows what looks like a boat disappearing over the curve, zoomed in, you can still see it clearly.

As far as the flight paths, you will notice the chosen path which seems to not make any sense, makes a lot more sense suddenly when you look closer to see they took that way because THERE ARE ISLANDS TO LAND ON TO REFUEL.

As far as the ship, this is not proof of anything either. If you are on land, you are ABOVE SEA LEVEL, meaning any time you look at a ship at a distance, you are looking down on it, negating the effect of it being hidden behind the curvature of the earth until it goes further away. Also it is pretty clear the photographer is on a hill from the photos.

The same reason we have so many climate change denialists in 2015: many/most children are brainwashed with superstitious pseudo-reasoning during their formative years by organized religions.

You wish your beliefs had such scientific acceptance as the earth being round. The roundness of the earth is a documented fact. Using something other than "psuedo-reasoning", such as scientific studies, prove that humans are causing global warming. Oh yes that's right you can't, because either they don't exist or they are completely unscientific bullshit. We all know how allergic you are to providing scientific studies to back up your Marxist religious dogma.
notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 04:52:49 PM

Remember that stupid story about the dress? Was the dress gold and brown or blue and black? That morning I saw that stupid dress and could not believe some people could see it blue and black. I could not understand what all the fuss was about. It was clearly gold and brown. And not yellow. I mean GOLD and BROWN. Not doubt about it. I was laughing so hard and felt sad for the people who only saw it as blue and black. I've looked at the dress on my calibrated monitor on my PC. I've looked at the same article on my ipad. The dress was definitely gold and brown.

Then later that day an article put what I was seeing as gold and brown, then scrolling down the same article was showing the same dress, but in a different picture. When I scrolled back up to compare the first image of that dress in the same article I could no longer see it as gold and brown...

This is one of the most bizarre experience in my life. My reality got a .1 update in real time. Until today I can not see the color I was seeing the first time I saw that dress.

Yeah I remember the fuss about that, I figured it was a stupid marketing gimmick to get women to open up their purse strings. I didn't pay any attention to it but, if there is something weird like you say then perhaps it belongs in the The Berenstæin Bears thread.

Wilikon
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 06:25:33 PM

Yeah I remember the fuss about that, I figured it was a stupid marketing gimmick to get women to open up their purse strings. I didn't pay any attention to it but, if there is something weird like you say then perhaps it belongs in the The Berenstæin Bears thread.

Hmm...

Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 06:45:23 PM
Last edit: July 19, 2015, 07:14:27 PM by Buffer Overflow

Because some people are at war with science. They are so desperate to disbelieve that they will cling to anything available to 'prove' their anti-science position, using 'data' taken from their inferior experiments.

I'm guessing deep down you already knew this already.

TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2015, 07:40:45 PM

Because some people are at war with science. They are so desperate to disbelieve that they will cling to anything available to 'prove' their anti-science position, using 'data' taken from their inferior experiments.

Part of the problem is the standards of what people call "science" has dropped unbelievably low due to general ignorance of the population about correct scientific method. As a result bad information is passed off as "science", resulting in idiocy like this where people start rejecting all science because it is increasingly grouped in with bad information.
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 08:04:40 PM

Global warming is generally responsible for making people more stupider, more irrational, prone to wars and other things as a side-effect of the food supply reduction.
popcorn1
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1027

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 08:11:42 PM

I seen this all on youtube just never bothered to watch because its so stupid to think the earth is flat so why waste my time when i can watch something more interesting  Wink Wink
coric

Activity: 169
Merit: 10

ExToke - Fee Free Trading

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 08:14:40 PM

This forum is full of all kinds of crazy anti-science bullshit and religious fundamentalism: Willikon, Spendulus and their global warming denialism, BAdecker and his creationism, Actor Tom Truong and his inbred bloodlines, saddam and his Nazi pseudoscience, you won't find a better recruiting ground for a flat earth cult than bitcointalk.

▬▬ι═══════-  ♦ EXTOKE  -═══════ι▬▬
●▬●▬●▬●▬ FEE FREE DECENTRALIZED EXCHANGE! ▬●▬●▬●▬●
[{Website}{Token Sale}{White Paper}{Platform}{Twitter}{Facebook}
MakingMoneyHoney (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 11:39:22 PM
Last edit: July 20, 2015, 12:33:25 AM by MakingMoneyHoney

Because the Earth is in fact flat.
Oh, it's FACT is it?

It would have been better if you had tried to debunk what he said in a form of debate instead of asking a question to something he's already stated.

I've read about this a while back. I had no idea it was such big "movement..."

Cool

The Earth is FLAT ~The planes help to prove the plane - Video that shows how far flights should be according to Google Maps, and then tries to book flights. Also shows the flight paths, that look odd on a globe, but make sense on a flat earth map.

The Horizon doesn't curve, Ships Zoom, Flat Earth - Shows what looks like a boat disappearing over the curve, zoomed in, you can still see it clearly.

(images cut for quote)

As far as the flight paths, you will notice the chosen path which seems to not make any sense, makes a lot more sense suddenly when you look closer to see they took that way because THERE ARE ISLANDS TO LAND ON TO REFUEL.

As far as the ship, this is not proof of anything either. If you are on land, you are ABOVE SEA LEVEL, meaning any time you look at a ship at a distance, you are looking down on it, negating the effect of it being hidden behind the curvature of the earth until it goes further away. Also it is pretty clear the photographer is on a hill from the photos.

As for the flight paths, on the globe map, it looks almost exactly the same distance to get from Australia to South America, as it does to go from Australia to the US. I understand what you're saying, but that's pushing it, they seem like the same distance or very close to it.

For another level video closer to the ground: https://youtu.be/F4w41bjgymw?t=1m

Edit: By believing in science, I mean, believing in science in the same way someone believes in a religion, such as taking things as faith, instead of testing them personally.

On the contrary, your own words say most people these days believe in science over religion. Which is it more people believing science or more people believing in religion? If, by your own words, there are less and less parents believing in religion, then there will be less and less children taught in religion, and more and more people believing in science. How do you explain the fact that more and more people are not believing in science with your premises?

No, along with my previous response to Beliathon, I find it hard to explain why people would be disbelieving in science these days. Also, I mentioned, most people on the flat earth stand point, are NOT religious.

This forum is full of all kinds of crazy anti-science bullshit and religious fundamentalism: Willikon, Spendulus and their global warming denialism, BAdecker and his creationism, Actor Tom Truong and his inbred bloodlines, saddam and his Nazi pseudoscience, you won't find a better recruiting ground for a flat earth cult than bitcointalk.

Really? I thought that most if not all people would not believe in it. I agreed with Beliathon that most people believe in science over religion these days. Most people believe in science over superstitions, etc. I also want to point out this wasn't to convince people, but to cause debate over why people are starting to argue this these days.

According to my thoughts, and people like Beliathon, more and more people are believing in science. I would add they believe in science, like a religion, with a faith that means they do not look and try to prove it themselves, or try to disprove it.

None of this can account for the people who are starting to try to disprove it, remembering that most of the dis-provers are not religious. In fact there is a whole page on the flat earth and Christianity trying to prove the bible does not say the earth is flat.
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 11:56:27 PM

believe in science

How the hell do you "believe" in science? Do you believe that 2+2=4? I thought it could be tested, guess I was wrong...
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3836
Merit: 1373

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 12:00:32 AM

It's all about people with flat feet needing something stable to walk on.    Grin

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, methylene blue, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/, https://thedrardisshow.com/, https://thehighwire.com/.
MakingMoneyHoney (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 12:32:34 AM

believe in science

How the hell do you "believe" in science? Do you believe that 2+2=4? I thought it could be tested, guess I was wrong...

By that I would be meaning, believing in science in the same way someone believes in a religion, such as taking things as faith, instead of testing them personally. Sorry, I should have clarified that, I will edit now.
Wilikon
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 01:50:28 PM

And yet I do not believe the earth is flat. I do not believe in carbon taxes to save the planet either. I believe in free speech and you have the right to participate by sharing your ideas and insults, as long it is not an open and direct threat toward anyone here.

You can also "ignore" me or stop visiting this sub as I do not post in other subs, or very rarely.

Smiley

jaysabi
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1115

★777Coin.com★ Fun BTC Casino!

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 04:12:12 PM

I've spoken up in other threads, that I think debate is great. You learn something new everyday. Though most laugh at this immediately, I find the debates going on fascinating.

There comes a time when debate is pointless. The Earth is not flat. Debate on the topic is not great, it's evidence of either stupidity, trolling, or subversion for personal gain (money, attention, notoriety; whatever your currency of choice).

There are certain topics where I wouldn't characterize debate as "great", and this is one of them. Not to say people aren't free to be stupid, but celebrating it is going too far.

jaysabi
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1115

★777Coin.com★ Fun BTC Casino!

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 04:18:27 PM

believe in science

By that I would be meaning, believing in science in the same way someone believes in a religion, such as taking things as faith, instead of testing them personally. Sorry, I should have clarified that, I will edit now.

Saw this point and just wanted to elucidate: Your point that faith in science and faith in religion have parallels may be true, but with one major difference in that science deals in things that are objectively and demonstrably true and verifiable, whereas religion is based entirely on things that are not. I wouldn't characterize these types of faiths as being the same, as faith in things that can be proven doesn't seem like faith to me at all. Faith in the principles of science may be closer, but still, that's based on a history of producing results and doesn't seem very faith-like in the religious sense.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: