Bitcoin Forum
June 06, 2024, 02:01:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Dash a better alternative to Bitcoin?  (Read 23615 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
qwizzie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 10:05:37 PM
Last edit: October 25, 2015, 10:17:59 AM by qwizzie

I came across this well written article about Dash which raises an interesting question : Is Dash a better alternative to Bitcoin?

http://www.cryptoworldwide.com/crypto-coin-spotlight/inside-dash-is-dash-a-better-alternative-to-bitcoin/
Posted By: Scott Sidders July 21, 2015
Written By: Scott Sidders

DASH contends to have real world application because of it’s cash-like qualities and user-base – in other words, the technology and community behind DASH make it worth noting as not merely a tradable crypto commodity, but as a potential cryptocurrency for future widespread adoption.

What is DASH?

DASH is an alternative to bitcoin that features better anonymity via Darksend, a protocol that mixes and mashes transactions together before dispersing them to the proper addresses. This stops people from tracking DASH users’ spending of the coins. DASH is intended to emulate cash (only digital), in that DASH is untraceable, instant, and bypasses the need for third-parties for transfer of funds. DASH is a fork from Bitcoin, meaning it can easily adopt new applications made for Bitcoin.

InstantX

There’s thousands of crypto coins, so why should you care about DASH? First, DASH offers fast transactions across the internet. You could send DASH from Canada to Zimbabwe, to Brazil, to Scotland, to Australia, and back to Canada in mere seconds. Peer-to-peer this is nothing new, but peer-to-merchant, transactions can be finalized in seconds as opposed to bitcoins’ minutes to an hour for satisfactory confirmations. For example, if you want to send BTC to a merchant this can take up to an hour before confirmations are processed enough for the merchant to release their product. For DASH, using the new InstantX protocol, you could send DASH to the merchant and in seconds the transfer can be locked in to ensure double spending cannot occur, thus allowing the merchant to release their product instantly. This is true for all merchants that adopt InstantX. An entire white paper has been written dedicated to explaining this further if you want to read more: http://www.scribd.com/doc/241012134…hanism-for-Mitigating-Double-Spending-Attacks

Darksend

DASH offers better anonymity than bitcoin via Darksend. Some bitcoin merchants have declined buyers due to “dirty money” since they can gain an idea of where bitcoins have come from. Darksend essentially scrambles transactions so that you can’t trace which payments were sent by whom. Anonymity may not be important to all crypto users, but think about countries run by totalitarian regimes where you don’t want the authorities to know what you do with your money. Maybe you don’t want people knowing how much money you have or maybe you don’t want your friends and family know what you do with your money. Regardless of why you would want your transactions private, it’s about giving crypto users the option and the right to financial privacy. Think of how much information credit card companies gather and sometimes sell to companies for better targeted advertising. You now have the option to deny being subjected to sharing your financial information thanks to DASH.

Masternodes

Best of all, no third party carries out these tasks, masternodes do. A masternode can be hosted by anyone and in order to host one you need to have 1000 (approx $3600 USD) DASH as collateral which deters bad actors from acquiring 51% of the masternodes. The masternodes perform tasks for the DASH network such as the mixing up and distributing of payments via Darksend. Since this costs to perform, masternode hosts receive a percentage of the block reward. That’s right, by owning a masternode, you can earn dividends on every block mined – and best of all, you don’t have to do anything. The return on investment for masternodes has been around 14% annually which has gained a lot of appropriate attention. The 1000 DASH that must be secured as collateral doesn’t leave your possession either, it only has to be untouched to keep your masternode running.

Furthermore, masternodes create a decentralized system of governance. By owning a masternode you can participate in voting on future projects — similar to how voting stock works for a company and its shareholders.  Masternodes have some real potential for other developers too. If interested I recommend checking out Fernando Gutierrez’ candid article regarding masternodes here: https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/po…uly-trustless-and-opens-endless-possibilities

Why does DASH matter?

The technological aspect of DASH is great, but greatness is in the eye of the beholder and without people using DASH, it’s worth nothing. However, this is not the case. The DASH development team has shown to be a real asset to the crypto world. For instance, the DASH team recently went from pseudonymity to being open and known. This is a big step in crypto because most coins currently have developers that hide behind their user names without anyone knowing who they really are. This becomes problematic when a coin is worth something because now whether the original developers intended to be ethical, or not, they now have incentive to cash out and abandon the coin without being personally held accountable. Incidentally, this happens all too often. Thus, having upfront and honest developers is a huge step in the alt-coins and will hopefully continue to be the standard. Here’s an example of one member from the DASH team, Fernando Gutierrez, doing a talk at a BTC group meeting in Barcelona. https://youtu.be/wj-5sBFHQAU

DASH does have an active, and quite large, community behind the coin relative to others. It cannot be stressed enough how important community is. Think about how Bitcoin became so large a phenomenon now. People that believe in the technology put themselves out there to communicate the value of using cryptos to the public. DASH’s community, though small in comparison to bitcoin, has some really passionate and intelligent people that believe in it. This can’t be said about most crypto coins.

Conclusion

Predicting how crypto coins will be in the long term future is difficult because of how fast this industry moves, but it is reasonable to believe that DASH will be around and I wouldn’t doubt it if DASH became worth much more than it is now. Due to the strong community, the adaptability to integrate new technology from the bitcoin protocol, the security, and anonymity aspect of this crypto coin, DASH contends to be a better alternative to bitcoin, though this is dependent on the people’s attitude towards DASH. I can’t predict the future, so obviously you shouldn’t base financial decisions on my words alone. However, I’m going to humour you and make a prediction for DASH’s future prospects. Based on what I’ve learned about DASH thus far, DASH will gain a lot of attention in the next year, and in one year from today, I think DASH will have steadily climbed to over $30 USD and will remain above this price.

Suggested further readings:

The DASH white paper:

https://www.dashpay.io/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Dash-WhitepaperV1.pdf

InstantX white paper:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/241012134…hanism-for-Mitigating-Double-Spending-Attacks

Masternode article:

https://www.dashpay.io/news/self-sustainable-decentralized-governance-by-blockchain/

The information provided herein is the author’s opinion and provided for entertainment purposes only. While the author strives to make the information on this website as timely and accurate as possible, the author makes no claims, promises, or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the contents of this site, and expressly disclaims liability for errors and omissions in the contents of this site. The information contained in or provided from or through this website is not intended to be and does not constitute financial advice, investment advice, trading advice or any other licensed advice. The authors on this website are in no way liable for any decisions you make based on information provided herein. CryptoWorldwide.com and its staff do not necessarily endorse nor oppose any claims or views expressed by authors on the website. All content is subject to copyright and may not be reproduced in any form without express written consent of the publisher.

* Pls discuss if you think Dash will indeed be a better alternative to Bitcoin
* Pls discuss this with rationality and motify your response
* pls have some respect for both the cryptocurrency and its community. accusations of scam towards Dash will not be tolerated in this self-moderated topic, there are enough of those out there already !

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2015, 10:10:13 PM

No, because Dash is "bad crypto."

https://twitter.com/petertoddbtc/status/622081863008436225

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
qwizzie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 11:14:59 PM
Last edit: July 21, 2015, 11:35:39 PM by qwizzie

I took some time to think it over for myself and here is my own opinion :

Personally i think it will depend on a few conditions :

- There need to be a growing awareness of cryptocurrency in general where people will not only regnonice and understand Bitcoin but also understand its weakness
such as lack of privacy (transactions can get traced easily now and even more easily in the near future with upcoming regulations) and the inefficiency / handycapped
use of it on a truelly global scale involving millions of transactions when it will be trying to fullfill the role of electronic cash (and most likely failing).  

* there is already a growing awareness of this weakness of Bitcoin that you see expressed in articles coming out lately but if that will persuede either
current bitcoin users or new bitcoin users to look for alternatives is still very much the question.

- To have DASH as better alternative it will need to have a simple package that is easy to understand, easy to use, very fast and very secure. That will mean moving towards not only
PC / Windows users but also Phone users (Android, IOS, Windows Phone) and making everything very very user-friendly.

- DASH will have to get an effective marketing campaign setup to attract more attention and position itself as direct competitor of Bitcoin.

When these conditions are met i feel DASH will have a good chance of being considered a better alternative to Bitcoin.

Good thing with DASH is that they already have a very capable development team thats adressing these conditions as we speak and are also incorporating latest Bitcoin updates
into the Dash code. So that gives me confidence that they are on the right track with making Dash both compatible with Bitcoin and at the same time differentiate itself from Bitcoin
by addressing specific weaknesses of Bitcoin.

edit : i'm off to bed now so i will check in tomorrow again. But i want to emphasize the following rules once more when replying to this topic :

* Pls discuss if you think DASH will indeed be a better alternative to Bitcoin
* Pls discuss this with rationality and motify your response
* pls have some respect for both the cryptocurrency and its community. accusations of scam towards DASH will not be tolerated in this self-moderated topic, there are enough of those out there already !

Certain people seem to read over them so i thought to put them up once more, no doubt i will be forced to delete a few posts that ignores these rules (specially the last one) tomorrow...

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
thefunkybits
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 12:02:15 AM

This...Dash has a blockchain waiting to be deanonymized. Monero keeps no such ledger and doesn't face this ticking time bomb
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 12:09:35 AM

This...Dash has a blockchain waiting to be deanonymized. ...

This.

Dash may be a fun exercise in the psychology of young-adults/late-teens, but I think there's a high probability that 5 years from now, it'll be trading at less of a fraction of BTC than it is today (due to fundamentally inferior crypto and p2p-design versus other coins in the niche in which it can even theoretically gain market-share). That said, like every alt, it also seems to be an exercise in financial psychology of illiquid assets (anyone read "Reminiscences of a Stock Operator"?), so the swings in the meantime may be extreme and provide yet more data for academic observers.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2015, 12:33:01 AM

This...Dash has a blockchain waiting to be deanonymized. ...

This.

Dash may be a fun exercise in the psychology of young-adults/late-teens, but I think there's a high probability that 5 years from now, it'll be trading at less of a fraction of BTC than it is today (due to fundamentally inferior crypto and p2p-design versus other coins in the niche in which it can even theoretically gain market-share). That said, like every alt, it also seems to be an exercise in financial psychology of illiquid assets (anyone read "Reminiscences of a Stock Operator"?), so the swings in the meantime may be extreme and provide yet more data for academic observers.

Kids, listen to your Legendary elders.  Just say No to Dash.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
qwizzie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 06:19:10 AM

Another point for Dash that it will have a decentralised budget funds system in place that will make sure that future projects
will get funded though Dash's blockchain (it will be implemented with next update).

In my eyes this will mean that Dash as project can keep developing itself and does not risk drying up due to lack of funding.
This in contrast to other altcoins (and Bitcoin) who really need funds, any funds to keep operating. This (again in my eyes) increases the
surviveability of Dash as coin and keeps the community involved (which is rather large and active already).

Derrike

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 06:53:27 AM

No I don't think that it can be an alternative to Bitcoin.
I still think that it is a pump and dump.
Ingatqhvq

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 10:07:48 AM

No, it can't be better than bitcoin, it's just a copy of bitcoin with a little improvement.                                 
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2015, 01:13:34 PM

That said, like every alt, it also seems to be an exercise in financial psychology of illiquid assets (anyone read "Reminiscences of a Stock Operator"?), so the swings in the meantime may be extreme and provide yet more data for academic observers.

Jeez...I read that book, but it was such a long time ago...

Would you be good enough to provide a tl;dr on what the book said about the psychology of illiquid assets? Thx. Smiley

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

g3rszpi

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 02:05:47 PM

As long as most of the people are sticked to BTC and BTC is the "fundament" of cryptocurrencies there is no chance for any other coins.

EDIT : Which is not a bad thing
qwizzie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 05:37:14 PM

As long as most of the people are sticked to BTC and BTC is the "fundament" of cryptocurrencies there is no chance for any other coins.

EDIT : Which is not a bad thing

Some would say competition is good for the cryptocurrency scene, having only one player in the market will stiffle development and also puts the
cryptocurrency scene at risk. What if that one player crashes due to some unforeseen event or what if that player due to regulations changes into
something that only vaguelly resembles current Bitcoin ? Its better to have an alternative cryptocurrency that has proven it can not only do technical
development but has also troubleshooting abilities and know how to fix things if things really need fixing.

That alternative coin has got to be in the current ranking top 10 coins somewhere as these coins have proven themself to retain their market position even
during hard times. At least Dash is not afraid of letting the world know it wants to form a better alternative to Bitcoin, all other altcoin currencies seem to be happy
with current status quo.

bitcart

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

www.bitcart.io

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2015, 08:02:04 PM

Looking forward to seeing what it has to offer but I will stick to trial and tested bitcoin for the time being!

www.bitcart.io
Bitcart - spend bitcoins online and save!
Buy Amazon gift cards with bitcoin and save up to 20% off
dadon
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1002

Pecvniate obedivnt omnia.

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2015, 08:23:06 PM

I'm not spamming but i just wanted to say just check out SDC please, i am not biased and if there was something better i would support it, but there isn't, and we just had a great new update http://shadowtalk.org/topic/437/v1-3-testnet  check it out.
as i said not spamming but i been around awhile now and it's frustrating to see the only two coins getting any recognition in the privacy division are XMR and DASH sorry but it's a fact SDC has a far better design and it's much cheaper, i think it's time to recognize this project that gets little to no attention.
the code is almost built from scratch, there was no premine no ico cleanest launch ever, why is it being ignored, not that i care, just baffles me, here is everybody arguing over whats better DASH  or XMR and SDC gets ignored sorry but i invested in almost all privacy based coins from the start XC DRK Monero and i moved on because SDC was better, please check it out and tell me im wrong.
sorry again if you think im spamming check my post history not my style.
illodin

Activity: 966

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 09:56:43 PM

This...Dash has a blockchain waiting to be deanonymized. Monero keeps no such ledger and doesn't face this ticking time bomb

I think you got it the other way around, on-chain vs off-chain.
illodin

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 09:57:33 PM

Another point for Dash that it will have a decentralised budget funds system in place that will make sure that future projects
will get funded though Dash's blockchain (it will be implemented with next update).

In my eyes this will mean that Dash as project can keep developing itself and does not risk drying up due to lack of funding.
This in contrast to other altcoins (and Bitcoin) who really need funds, any funds to keep operating. This (again in my eyes) increases the
surviveability of Dash as coin and keeps the community involved (which is rather large and active already).    

This might be the game changer. Dash won't get stuck with the tech or design it has had at the launch or stalled progress like other coins when their devs run out of funds and interest.
illodin

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 10:01:22 PM

Also, we are only at the first page and already MONERO and SDC have been mentioned. Tells a lot who's trying to ride the coat tails and who's the leader.
dadon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2015, 10:10:10 PM

Also, we are only at the first page and already MONERO and SDC have been mentioned. Tells a lot who's trying to ride the coat tails and who's the leader.
Yeah i mention it because it's clearly better don't take my word for it use your brain! plus look at the volume on bittrex 140btc and climbing  Kiss
dadon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2015, 10:11:45 PM

opps spoke too soon 162 now
illodin

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 12:01:06 AM

opps spoke too soon 162 now

So this is the SDC market watch thread now?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: