Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 11:30:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 60 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Bitcoin Foundation  (Read 127561 times)
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 12:44:33 PM

Signed up. Confirmation email incoming?
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2012, 12:47:32 PM

Bravo Gavin.
It was worth waiting the 24 of september  Smiley
This organization complements nicely a rather loose community of developers.

Although I hate to quote myself I speculated on this forum a month ago "Some kind of W3C-like organization to manage BIPs, including Google's sponsorship ?"
I was wrong about Google unless they join as platinum member and I could have thought of the linux foundation as a model more relevant than W3C at this stage of the bitcoin development.

You can count on my support as an individual member already.

Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 12:49:26 PM

I just suggested it to them. Maybe others might do the same?
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 12:52:26 PM

I agree this is a good idea, and have sent in my membership because over the last couple of years I've come to respect several of the main parties involved in this project.

That being said, how are you guys planning on not becoming the headquarters for Bitcoin? In other words, what kind of arms length systems are in place to distance yourselves (the foundation) from the thing itself (Bitcoin)?

jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 01:01:22 PM

lovebitcoins.org just got put out of business

dadj

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2012, 01:03:52 PM

This is exactly what Bitcoin needs - a legitimate corporate entity backed by members around the world to defend against the onslaught of propaganda that will inevitably come Bitcoins way. Signed up for life membership!

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
YOLOdice.comFast 1% Edge DiceAwesome ChartsFaucetPlay / InvestJOIN NOW!
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
SuperHakka

Activity: 196

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 01:08:28 PM

How comes the bitcoin logo is nowheere to be seen on that webiste, you know the BTC

'First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they attack you. Then you win.' - Mohandas Gandhi
"Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, 'Would an idiot do this?' and if he would, I do not do that thing." - Dwight Schrute
Jan
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 01:08:50 PM

Same here. I guess they do it manually.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2012, 01:13:28 PM

I will lol if silk road becomes a platinum member.

Seal
Donator

Activity: 848
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2012, 01:16:47 PM

Thank you. This is a great milestone for us.

+1

Gavin, great work. In the interest of transparency, you might want to add in your OP that one of the uses of donations is to pay for your full time salary as a bitcoin developer. That in itself deserves credit and goes to show the dedication of the board members so far.

+1 to Mark for the first platinum membership too.

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 01:34:01 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  This is fantastic news and I'm happy to enthusiastically support this.  I'm super excited about the foundation.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
tpantlik

Activity: 136

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 01:35:08 PM

Wow, great news.

How comes the bitcoin logo is nowheere to be seen on that webiste, you know the BTC
Maybe they will standartize it at first?

Gods sent us a powerful tool - cryptography - to fight with those who are trying to exploit us. USE IT!!
World

Activity: 743

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 01:39:22 PM

Thank you. This is a great milestone for us.

+1

Gavin, great work. In the interest of transparency, you might want to add in your OP that one of the uses of donations is to pay for your full time salary as a bitcoin developer. That in itself deserves credit and goes to show the dedication of the board members so far.

+1 to Mark for the first platinum membership too.
+1 Roger Ver has announced a significant donation to the Foundation as a way to get our budget launched

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
bangers

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 01:42:05 PM

Hopefully coz they realise it sucks
Grouver (BtcBalance)

Activity: 530

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2012, 01:45:53 PM

It also worries me that you need to give away your anonymity to support this project.
Where will this precious data end up when shit hits the fan?

The_Duke

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 01:47:15 PM

Q: Is this the infamous September Announcement?

Yes.

So the bitcoin foundation (which had nothing to do with founding bitcoin and created itself without involvement from the bitcoin community or its creator) gets a start as some incredibly overhyped Announcement (yeah, with a capital A apparently).
THIS is that big announcement that would bring more stability to bitcoin? A self proclaimed "bitcoin foundation" that on its own decides how to best help bitcoin?
To me, this just looks like a lot of e-peening by a bunch of people who on their own have become too invested in bitcoin and who are in effect decentralizing it by pulling to much attention and too much involvement onto themselves, thereby hindering the openness and freedom of bitcoin.
Why does something that is supposed to be uncontrolled and decentralized need a centralized body to control anything? What if the Bitcoin Foundation starts doing or saying things that a lot of bitcoin users feel is harmful to bitcoin? Can we replace the people in bitcoin foundation?

It will give the "outside world" (filled with evil bankers, corporations and goverments) a centralized point from which to influence bitcoin. (And whoever thinks they will influence it in a direction that is good for bitcoin is just being naive) They can now just talk to THE "Bitcoin Foundation", which happens to also include the major developers, the ones controlling the trademarks, etc.
Under the flag of "not for profit" bitcoin seems to get commercialized. Sad

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2012, 01:51:24 PM

The industry pricing suggests that it is intended for "bitcoin industry", rather than "industry that happens to accept payment in bitcoin".  Considering the structure of the organization, the distinction seems like a reasonable one to make.
where do pools fit in this?
If mining is not a basic "industry" of Bitcoin - what is?
pools support the bulk of miners and thus do most of the verification of the transactions on the Bitcoin network - for all the Bitcoin users
0fee pools will have 0 chance of attaining silver membership - even most pools with fees run on margins that do not allow one off payments of 500BTC

I would like to be able to sign my registered business up as a corporate member, but simply cannot afford to.

Graeme Tee
Ozcoin pooled Mining Pty Ltd
ACN: 152 509 272

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2012, 01:58:08 PM

The industry pricing suggests that it is intended for "bitcoin industry", rather than "industry that happens to accept payment in bitcoin".  Considering the structure of the organization, the distinction seems like a reasonable one to make.
where do pools fit in this?
If mining is not a basic "industry" of Bitcoin - what is?
pools support the bulk of miners and thus do most of the verification of the transactions on the Bitcoin network - for all the Bitcoin users
0fee pools will have 0 chance of attaining silver membership - even most pools with fees run on margins that do not allow one off payments of 500BTC

I would like to be able to sign my registered business up as a corporate member, but simply cannot afford to.

Graeme Tee
Ozcoin pooled Mining Pty Ltd
ACN: 152 509 272

I think they should have had a mining rep on the board of governors and you would get my vote  Smiley

Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470

Hello!

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 01:58:53 PM

Debating to sign up or not.

hi
Jan
Legendary

Activity: 1043

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 02:00:56 PM

Q: Is this the infamous September Announcement?

Yes.

So the bitcoin foundation (which had nothing to do with founding bitcoin and created itself without involvement from the bitcoin community or its creator) gets a start as some incredibly overhyped Announcement (yeah, with a capital A apparently).
THIS is that big announcement that would bring more stability to bitcoin? A self proclaimed "bitcoin foundation" that on its own decides how to best help bitcoin?
To me, this just looks like a lot of e-peening by a bunch of people who on their own have become too invested in bitcoin and who are in effect decentralizing it by pulling to much attention and too much involvement onto themselves, thereby hindering the openness and freedom of bitcoin.
Why does something that is supposed to be uncontrolled and decentralized need a centralized body to control anything? What if the Bitcoin Foundation starts doing or saying things that a lot of bitcoin users feel is harmful to bitcoin? Can we replace the people in bitcoin foundation?

It will give the "outside world" (filled with evil bankers, corporations and goverments) a centralized point from which to influence bitcoin. (And whoever thinks they will influence it in a direction that is good for bitcoin is just being naive) They can now just talk to THE "Bitcoin Foundation", which happens to also include the major developers, the ones controlling the trademarks, etc.
Under the flag of "not for profit" bitcoin seems to get commercialized. Sad
If you are worried about the direction of the Bitcoin Foundation and the members of the board you should join the foundation and let your vote count.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 60 »
  Print  

Jump to: