Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:21:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... 159 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Slimcoin | First Proof of Burn currency | Decentralized Web  (Read 136746 times)
gjhiggins
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2016, 02:10:37 PM
Last edit: November 18, 2016, 05:36:40 PM by gjhiggins

Okaaaay, the OS X version works.

It's just a little unfortunate that the whole exercise of rebasing Slimcoin on Peercoin now looks futile:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2jwbvr/excellent_paper_on_why_proof_of_stake_is/clftf16/

Peercoin doesn't just use it (PoW) for coin distribution, but this is one of many misunderstandings people present.

Peercoin uses POW to select which stake can actually mine, it also uses broadcast block signing from the developer to get all the miners selecting from the same stake holders and prevent anyone but the developer from replacing the chain history. ... but thats pretty big centeralization risk.

So *that's* why there's no staking.

As you were.

I'll have another try at rebasing SLM on a different PoW/PoS hybrid codebase.

Oh, perhaps I should have had a bit more confidence, I just received 17.16 SLM mint-by-burn.

Screenshots for info:

Code:

listburnminted

[
{
"PoB Block Hash" : "20e2a76815d7e260a41f95980f90192393f523b317862a69f3d3138e587696d4",
"PoB Hash" : "00063e235a3aad411960d6da8b7cc38db6d6a32e538a006a34d5ae641b3c8950",
"category" : "mint by burn",
"amount" : 17.16000000
}
]

And I forgot that the 1000000 reserve is a hard-coded default so when my laptop crashes and Slimcoin restarts on bootup (which it did - or rather has done now, twice) the default 1000000 will pertain unless I either change it in the RPC console or add a statement (e.g. reservebalance=99) to the conf file. The purpose of the default is, according to the comment, “Handle reserve balance while syncing”.

If you're wondering why I'm even bothering - it's a learning exercise amongst other things.

Cheers

Graham

Edit: updated with new info
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gavrilo77

Activity: 819
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 25, 2016, 09:34:31 AM

Good work!!! Did you compile latest release?
gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2016, 06:50:56 PM

Good work!!! Did you compile latest release?

Not yet. I've been waiting to see whether the code was basically functioning across the range, not just mint-by-burn but also mint-by-stake.

Your post prompted me to check.

Serendipitously, I received the first mint-by-stake tx just as this morning broke.

It was followed by an orphaned mint-by-stake, then two others which were confirmed, totalling very close to the amount of the orphaned tx.

Pix ...

Slimcoin has faultlessly recovered from around a dozen hard crashes of my laptop. The other evening I nudged the machine as I got out of the armchair to retire to bed, inadvertently disconnecting the power cable. The battery drained in less than an hour, shutting the machine down. Slimcoin is configured to start on bootup so in the morning, after I'd re-connected the power cable and the machine had booted, I checked how Slimcoin had got on, synching up to the chain tip. There was just one block to go, apparently .... after a few moments had passed, I realised that it had stuck, as it had done on a previous occasion and, like last time, I should just tough it out and get on with other things. When I re-checked later, it had caught up just fine.

During my Slimcoin-related pereginations, I managed to make the connection between the code that gmaxwell was referencing:

Peercoin uses POW to select which stake can actually mine, it also uses broadcast block signing from the developer to get all the miners selecting from the same stake holders and prevent anyone but the developer from replacing the chain history. ... but thats pretty big centeralization risk.

And the to-be-triggered v04 code in the Slimcoin port (of peercoin) which I postponed because I wasn't in a position to evaluate the effects of such a profound change on the Slimcoin blockchain.

It's currently set to trigger on the 31st Dec this year:

https://github.com/slimcoin-project/Slimcoin/blob/209d10771ed1f3851525d081a2727b04dacf0607/src/kernel.cpp#L19

Code:
// Protocol switch time of v0.4 kernel protocol
unsigned int nProtocolV04SwitchTime     = 1483056000; // Dec 31 2016
unsigned int nProtocolV04TestSwitchTime = 1483056000; // Dec 31 2016

Except that the implementing code is actually disabled (commented out), so nothing will actually happen. That code can now just be excised.

So ...so far, so good. I'll tidy up the codebase and commit it to the public repos.

I'll look into the possibility of cross-compiling a Windows binary, can't promise anything.

The OS X 10.6.8 app is quietly ticking away on the old MacBook (Slimcoin was originally advertised as suitable for running on a Raspberry Pi iirc), hasn't seen any minting tx as yet.

The implementations running on the remote server, my laptop and the MacBook are all in synch with the advertised blockchain explorer: https://bchain.info/SLM/ but I'm really not sure whether I believe the results of `getpeerinfo`.

I think I have a Vagrant+ansible deployment setup around somewhere, I'll add it as a separate repos in the github project pages - if/when I find it.

Cheers

Graham

gavrilo77

Activity: 819
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 25, 2016, 08:05:57 PM

Anyway i am still mining
hankrules

Activity: 673
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 25, 2016, 08:09:24 PM

Descriptive slimcoin stuff

If you get a solid grip on this, it might not be a bad idea to create a new genesis block and starting over (possibly with a different name).  I know I would be interested in mining it.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
enerbyte

Activity: 556
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 25, 2016, 08:52:15 PM

Anyway i am still mining

The same here, although sporadically.
MCHII

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 28, 2016, 11:01:07 PM

Is there an already compiled version of this for windows? I have no idea how to compile on windows Sad but I really want to use the latest version of the wallet. Can someone help me out?

k99

Activity: 346
Merit: 255

Manfred Karrer

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2016, 01:14:49 AM

For exchanges, we could try Bitsquare (a descentralized exchange). It should be easy (and free) to get added

Feel free to make a request:
https://forum.bitsquare.io/t/how-to-add-your-favorite-altcoin

Slimcoin sounds like a really cool project, would love to see it gaining more traction!

but they remove coins with no trading activity.

No worry, we are not that strict yet :-)

Br,
Manfred (founder of Bitsquare)

https://bisq.network  |  GPG Key: 6A6B2C46
enerbyte

View Profile
November 29, 2016, 03:40:30 AM

Is there an already compiled version of this for windows? I have no idea how to compile on windows Sad but I really want to use the latest version of the wallet. Can someone help me out?

This version should work

https://github.com/kryptoslab/slimcoin/releases/download/v0.3.2.1/slimcoin-qt.7z
MCHII

View Profile
November 29, 2016, 06:03:38 AM

This version should work

https://github.com/kryptoslab/slimcoin/releases/download/v0.3.2.1/slimcoin-qt.7z

Thanks for posting that. I actually have that version, and unfortunately I'm unable to solo mine with it (using cgminer). I can sometimes solo mine through the wallet its self, but it usually crashes when I do that. Are there any directions out there on how to compile this on windows? Are all the dependencies needed in the link that was posted on page 8 of the thread?
enerbyte

View Profile
November 29, 2016, 05:48:58 PM

This version should work

Thanks for posting that. I actually have that version, and unfortunately I'm unable to solo mine with it (using cgminer). I can sometimes solo mine through the wallet its self, but it usually crashes when I do that. Are there any directions out there on how to compile this on windows? Are all the dependencies needed in the link that was posted on page 8 of the thread?

You can try to compile slimminer yourself

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1141676.msg12431644#msg12431644
MCHII

View Profile
November 29, 2016, 10:27:48 PM

This version should work

You can try to compile slimminer yourself

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1141676.msg12431644#msg12431644

Sounds great, I'll give it a shot and see if I can do it. Thanks!
ptrace

Activity: 34

View Profile
November 30, 2016, 12:18:30 AM

Slimcoin sounds like a really cool project, would love to see it gaining more traction!

They need a person associated with the official coin. Is someone still around?

The requesting person needs to be associated with the official coin (use an email address indicating that you are from the team)
gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2016, 04:58:04 AM

They need a person associated with the official coin. Is someone still around?

The requesting person needs to be associated with the official coin (use an email address indicating that you are from the team)

Hmm.

At base, an altcoin is a value transfer system implemented in the form of a peer-to-peer networked cryptocurrency. The cryptography securing the implementation imposes some inherent constraints on the peers:

1. The protocol cannot treat peers as anything other than homogeneous
2. The protocol requires that peers can only be distinguished via serialized cryptographic hashes.

Corollaries:

a. The protocol-enforced egality of untrusted peering nodes is inherently inimical to the imposition of a hierarchy.
b. The modelling of peering nodes as serialized cryptographic hashes inherently prohibits any reference to identity.
c. Malfeasance by unidentifiable pseudonymous participants is inherently immune to both financial and social sanction.

So, “official” this and “official” that are meaningless in the context of a peer-to-peer networked cryptocurrency because no-one has the authority to stamp anything “official”.

Or rather, anyone and everyone has the opportunity to stamp anything they want as “official” or make a claim to be “the official dev” but it carries no inherent authority, only that which it can engender by it own efforts.

When it comes to p2p apps, the bottom line is that as soon as the source code is publicly released, no-one is ”in charge” of anything.

Cheers

Graham
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 6216

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
December 02, 2016, 04:09:31 PM

I am happy to see activity! So the Slimcoin experiment can continue.

Thanks Graham for your contributions. I'll be pretty busy the next two weeks but then I will be sure able to test your brand new code (I've seen you recently commited to the master branch).

You are totally right that a P2P project like a cryptocurrency isn't obliged to have a fixed/official "team" or "dev". But taking into account all the scammers and pump-and-dump schemes that populate the altcoin forum, the Bitsquare requirement is somewhat understandable, although it may violate the "P2P principles".

I'll can do the request from the e-mail address associated to the "Slimcoin Community" account (the sockpuppet I started to do the OP of this thread).

PS: The "Linux client getting stuck" problem hasn't appeared to me for a while (at least two months) now, but that could be related to the low mining activity in the last months.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2016, 07:07:16 PM

the Bitsquare requirement is somewhat understandable, although it may violate the "P2P principles"

Understandable but still quite wrong. The principles cannot be violated. Either the system is decentralized and open or it's centralized and controlled. Their list of arbitrary and subjective acceptance criteria tells me which it is. Follow the money and, as ever, it leads to a closed group of unidentified insiders extracting economic rent coupled with vague statements about opening it up in the future, i.e. as soon as they work out another exclusive means of extracting economic rent.

I have got no axe to grind, I try to play a straight bat. In the context of Slimcoin, there is no “official” anything - no official web site to list an official exchange, no official team, no official coin. “Official” has no semantic grounding but they seem to have dreamed one up, the parameters of which can only be guessed at because their list of criteria is so incoherent it is risible. For me, such a fundamentally poor grasp of the principles in a supposedly commercial context is an immediate fail.

I'm committing some updates to the code because I have commit rights to the public repos and I read reports that some people are having difficulty with the code. My original intention was that a more stable codebase could act as a focus for some collective activity. That hasn't changed.

The fake “fintech startup” altcoin meme merely imports the distortions of external inequality into the community. Bittrex had some problems with the SLG wallet, causing them to lose some coins. They “reached out” to “the dev” and “the community” threatening to delist SLG unless the community made good their loss. The dev and the community paid up. Is that a precedent for all, or is one merchant node special and another not? If merchants are to be differentiated, by what operationally definable criteria?

Their incoherence writes large (in crayon) that it has all the potential of turning into a slippery slope of unrealistic and unpredictable expectations.

Just in passing - elsewhere on my desktop, wine is running the Windows binary that I managed successfully to cross-compile. Slimcoin does seem to take forever to sync fully but thus far, it hasn't stuck permanently (requiring a clean-out of datadir and a redo from zero). As with the Linux version, it stuck temporarily, impatient me restarted it and it happily picked up where it left off, whereupon I managed to leave it to do its thing, even if it is in fits and starts.

Up until an hour ago its synching hadn't been rudely interrupted by a h/w crash. Bzzt! ... I was much encouraged to see it spring up unbowed and resume synching. I will let it synch fully before posting the binary to the github repos for people to try out for themselves. As I mentioned, I'll commit a Vagrant+ansible devops solution for people to compile their own Windows binaries.

As for the Mac, the OS X version I compiled up on the MacBook using Qt Creator has received both mint-by-burn and mint-by-stake rewards and doesn't seem to tax the MacBook unduly. Unfortunately it is limited to 10.6.8, anything later can't open the app. I'll try compiling the source on a Yosemite VM.

Cheers

Graham

d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 6216

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
December 03, 2016, 10:24:29 PM

Understandable but still quite wrong. The principles cannot be violated. Either the system is decentralized and open or it's centralized and controlled. Their list of arbitrary and subjective acceptance criteria tells me which it is.

I think you're right here. Your post make me think about all the things that are wrong in the altcoin "circus" right now. Most altcoins are not really P2P projects. Although many of them (with OS licenses) could, in theory, be forked and transformed in a P2P project by community members, the real problem is that most of their users and miners do not really share the "P2P principles" and opt instead for a cult to a god-like developer and an startup-like centralized enterprise model.

Maybe the Bitsquare team is simply not too aware of this problem. They needed some practical mechanism to protect themselves from spam requests and so have opted to adhere to the unwritten rules of the "altcoin circus" when choosing the requirements. But I don't think the Bitsquare founders to be so closed-minded to not accept a coin without "official" team and website if a community explains the reasons in this way. (I may be wrong).

Maybe they even think about it and change their requirements - they could, when describing their requirements for a "contact person", change the word "official" to "commited to and able to answer questions about this coin for at least a year" or something similar.

I think Bitsquare is an interesting project, still far from being perfect, but one step in the right direction regarding decentralized trading, although I like "Atomic"-like mechanisms a bit more as they're even more descentralized (but far more difficult to adopt for the coins because it needs software compatibility).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
casper77
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 1035

View Profile
December 04, 2016, 08:06:08 AM

gjhiggins makes good things for coin
can we consider it's a live ?
are there any non-technical plans, exchanges f.e. ?
ptrace

Activity: 34

View Profile
December 04, 2016, 08:18:41 PM

gjhiggins makes good things for coin

Agreed.
If you guys need help with coding count me in. I'm a sysadmin with some coding and bitcoin-skills, if thats enough.
Testing Crypto

Activity: 614
Merit: 506

Applications

View Profile
December 04, 2016, 10:31:56 PM
Last edit: December 04, 2016, 11:28:32 PM by Testing Crypto

I remember testing Slimcoin, the afterburn staking like PoS was great & just got caught up with the 1000's of others. Would be willing to test Slimcoin again if there is progress & already have a wallet sync'd up since the talk over the last week. Downloaded it, sync'd up & swapped my .dat from years ago. It showed that there was still effective burnt coins, only like 30 on one .dat & 10 on the other. Great concept, but do remember like many others it did have problems with forking or syncing & otherwise worked well.

//already found one block mining with the GUI, "setgenerate true" only seems to work with 4 & can't change it to 1-3?

{
"blocks" : 830663,
"currentblocksize" : 1000,
"currentblocktx" : 0,
"difficulty" : 0.00158252,
"errors" : "",
"generate" : true,
"genproclimit" : 4,
"hashespersec" : -,
"networkghps" : 0.00006730,
"pooledtx" : 0,
"testnet" : false
}

ZwNpPhVYrSrPMS71GLc7TEnbqA9VSZopGn // Gift5YapqsZqSTW8T4S3sCU4sngCkvh4ba // 3Gwc4KzVtuJ9ADnuqzF7XRhSaaE7HkBWpr // 1PAGEHrN62tgUHncGWbbhKe9jhZGXsxFC4
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi {SAT OS hi}
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... 159 »
  Print  

Jump to: