Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:49:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... 159 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Slimcoin | First Proof of Burn currency | Decentralized Web  (Read 136746 times)
gjhiggins
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2017, 05:20:39 PM

Good job! It would be nice to know when and if we could exchange these coins. Any news on that bter initiative? Anything we could do in order to make slimcoin accepted in an exchange?

It could be considered to be a bit early for that.

The implementation is still on test and a busier network may yet reveal serious problems. The Slimcoin codebase is unique, not just in the mint-by-proof-of-burn mechanism but also in the interdependencies with the mint-by-proof-of-work and mint-by-proof-of-stake mechanisms. Problems arising in that area will be extremely difficult to solve as they will likely require extensive modelling - see https://github.com/slimcoin-project/Slimcoin/tree/master/simulations for evidence of the preparatory modelling that informed the design of the implementation (an implementation retained unchanged for the migration, of course).

Cheers

Graham

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cryptovore

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 05:31:45 PM

Interesting! So you say we should wait a little bit more?

Excuse me for being blunt, but what is your position with this project? For me, you seem to be the main developer right now, and you showed nothing but impeccable knowledge of the algorithm and underlying codebase. It's impressive.

You say we should wait form the position of you being the main developer or just a casual, curious tester?

Again, excuse my direct approach, but I think this is a very interesting opportunity. If anything, I am ready to get involved as well (apart form testing, which I'm already doing), I can contribute some time for other tasks. Programming in C is still difficult for me, but I can code stuff in JS, PHP/MySQL and, if need will be, Objective C.

Thank you!
psycodad
Legendary

Activity: 1604
Merit: 1564

精神分析的爸

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 05:36:40 PM

Graham,

Sorry was not meaning to push things wrt exchanges. I remember you saying along the lines of that you won't be dealing with that so I wanted to offer some help.

I'll wait with it until you think the code has been tested and is matured enough for such a step and that will be based mainly on your word and judgement (read: when you think it is ready for an exchange).

Regarding a busier network, what do you consider exactly busier so that we can help with it: More PoW, PoB, PoS, Nodes, Txs or a certain combination or simply just more of everything?

Cheers - psycodad

gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2017, 06:53:19 PM

so far mining with a Raspberry, even Slimcoin, seems educational at most.

It's still helping to secure the blockchain and that does seem to be a feature of the original design.

I realised last night that I might not have reset the reservebalance binding on the 2012-vintage Macbook that's quietly running the Slimcoin app under 10.6.8 - and I hadn't, which explains why thus far it's only had one mint-by-stake (and I'm not even sure how it managed that). I set the reservebalance to zero before I retired to bed and checking just now, it has since received three mint-by-stake rewards.

Mining with Slimcoin hosted at a data-centre will have the advantage of low latency - but that way lies centralisation, as any fule no [1].

So, mindful of the potentially deleterious effect that centralisation would have on a community alt such as Slimcoin, in due course I'll be taking the ill-gotten gains that I made while the network was quiescent (my "SUSah.." mining address is #25 or so on the “rich list”) and making them available for general distribution.

Of course, this only makes sense i) while Slimcoin remains insulated from the social predations of the mechanoids that inhabit cryptocurrency exchanges (bear with me on this one, just for a little while longer because of ->) and ii) if Slimcoin has some utility beyond that of the basic token transfer and accounting system that was inherited with its cloning.

For the immediate future at least, I'd expect the cryptocurrency exchanges' requirements for tokens of officialdom to present an effective barrier to Slimcoin being listed. I hope to exploit the advantage that this offers to make an additional contribution in terms of increasing Slimcoin's ability to offer a positive pro-social experience to its community of users.

Thus far I've posted sketch maps of the first two components of my understanding of altcoins (one: the impact of the cryptography inheritance on the social constraints imposed on the members of the user group and two: how those constraints enforce the creation of a Teal organisation).

There are three more yet to come: the next one sketches out how the cryptography inheritance creates the conditions for a form of “pure” Teal organisation (vs say, “Holacracy”) that inherently operates as a collective intelligence.

It's just more joining of dots to sketch out different ways of describing altcoin user groups --- but some of those descriptions, if accepted as plausible, provide hugely useful information on a number of aspects pertinent to the longevity and success of the collective effort.

For example, once you've viewed things through the lenses provided above, the success of Dogecoin is no longer inexplicable but actually, rather predictable.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Molesworth

Next up in this series of posts, more details on the “additional contribution” that I mentioned above (as soon as I've scoped the work).

Looking back through recent posts: I really do appreciate the considerate responses, it makes the whole thing so much more rewarding. Will respond with specifics later.

Cheers

Graham
cryptovore

View Profile
January 07, 2017, 05:46:35 PM

Rewards disappearing from the wallet. These results are generated seconds from each other. In the initial call of getinfo, it looks a certain amount of newmint, then in the second, the new amount disappeared. It may be just the normal behavior, but I would love some more explanation of this specific situation.

Code:

cryptovore@mymachine:~$ slimcoind getinfo
{
    "version" : "SLMv0.4.1-alpha-46-g6fe14df-alpha",
    "protocolversion" : 60003,
    "walletversion" : 60000,
    "balance" : 1.59000000,
    "newmint" : 92.35000000,
    "stake" : 0.00000000,
    "blocks" : 864124,
    "moneysupply" : 13950308.67000000,
    "connections" : 20,
    "proxy" : "",
    "ip" : "some_ip_edited",
    "difficulty" : 0.01210541,
    "testnet" : false,
    "keypoololdest" : 1483276068,
    "keypoolsize" : 115,
    "paytxfee" : 0.01000000,
    "errors" : ""
}
cryptovore@mymachine:~$ slimcoind getinfo
{
    "version" : "SLMv0.4.1-alpha-46-g6fe14df-alpha",
    "protocolversion" : 60003,
    "walletversion" : 60000,
    "balance" : 1.59000000,
    "newmint" : 73.51000000,
    "stake" : 0.00000000,
    "blocks" : 864125,
    "moneysupply" : 13950291.74379700,
    "connections" : 21,
    "proxy" : "",
    "ip" : "some_ip_edited",
    "difficulty" : 0.01279411,
    "testnet" : false,
    "keypoololdest" : 1483276068,
    "keypoolsize" : 115,
    "paytxfee" : 0.01000000,
    "errors" : ""
}

gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2017, 11:20:07 PM

Rewards disappearing from the wallet.

Not encountered that one.

Do they show up as orphans in the GUI transaction history or in the results of listtransactions?

Cheers

Graham
cryptovore

View Profile
January 08, 2017, 04:39:08 AM

I found this in the listtransactions output

Code:
 {
        "account" : "",
        "category" : "orphan",
        "amount" : 18.84000000,
        "confirmations" : 0,
        "txid" : "775c15db5ba5205328c7fd9972c603c941cf2a95b3d3c693062bd95962f623cc",
        "time" : 1483810810
    },

From my understanding this transaction didn't get enough confirmations. What are the conditions for this event?
gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2017, 05:01:22 AM

From my understanding this transaction didn't get enough confirmations. What are the conditions for this event?

The 0 is the key figure - the app attempted to stake i.e. solved a trivial hash but that solution wasn't the one accepted in the consensus, so the block becomes an orphan. There's competition for all blocks no matter how they are minted. It's spelled out explicitly in the tooltip popup, just hover the mouse pointer over an orphaned transaction.

More here:

https://github.com/slimcoin-project/Slimcoin/blob/master/src/qt/transactionrecord.cpp#L11

Cheers

Graham

cryptovore

View Profile
January 08, 2017, 05:48:35 AM
Last edit: January 08, 2017, 06:08:08 AM by cryptovore

Thanks, makes sense. What surprised me was that the amount briefly appeared in my wallet, then it was gone. But it all happened within the 90 seconds timeframe needed for a block to be accepted.
cryptovore

View Profile
January 08, 2017, 03:56:35 PM

Newbie question: if I burn coins from a certain address / wallet, in order to "mine" coins, or to "get back" coins in exchange of the burning, do I have to keep the wallet open? If I burned from the GUI client, do I have to keep it open? Is PoB related to PoW mining, or is it independent?

Second newbie question: Proof Of Stake is linked to a certain amount of coins in a certain wallet / address? I saw that the maturity period of PoS is one week, but I don't know how to interpret that.

Thanks!

P.S. All my 3 machines (2 x bare metal in a data center, 1 x home raspberry are fully synched now and mining, the raspberry has yet to find a block, but I'm patient).
gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2017, 06:42:15 PM

Newbie question: if I burn coins from a certain address / wallet, in order to "mine" coins, or to "get back" coins in exchange of the burning, do I have to keep the wallet open? If I burned from the GUI client, do I have to keep it open? Is PoB related to PoW mining, or is it independent?

Second newbie question: Proof Of Stake is linked to a certain amount of coins in a certain wallet / address? I saw that the maturity period of PoS is one week, but I don't know how to interpret that.

I'm going to cut myself some slack and point you to the OP and to the old thread where these questions were asked and answered. I acknowledge that this discussion board is a poor means of publishing technical data, technical gems such as this just disappear into the noise but it's all we have.

If the OP doesn't answer your questions, the first 30 pp of the old thread range from the pre-launch phase to a couple of days after launch and cover what you're seeking to know.

When I get a round tuit, I'll scrape the old thread and winnow the posts for technical content, see if I can't hack up an extension to the white paper.

Cheers

Graham
cryptovore

View Profile
January 08, 2017, 07:08:55 PM

Thank you, I appreciate your time and I will refrain myself from newbie questions on this thread. Smiley
DigitalCurrencyConsultant

Activity: 671
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 09, 2017, 07:18:43 AM
Last edit: May 02, 2017, 10:59:41 AM by DigitalCurrencyConsultant

NovaExchange SLM to BTC Market

NovaExchange SLM to LTC Market

Trading Live  Grin

coingecko

on the moon yet?[/center]
cryptovore

View Profile
January 09, 2017, 08:02:42 AM

woot! Smiley
cryptovore

View Profile
January 09, 2017, 08:20:53 AM

My SLM wallet at NovaExchange is shown as being in maintenance. Is this the expected behavior, or we should wait for something on your part?

Thank you.

Later edit: sorry, I just checked, you seem to be running v0.3.2.0-21-gc733da8, latest is 0.4.1. The current blockchain height is over 860.000, the height I'm seeing in coininfo is 13503. So we'll have to wait a bit, I guess. Still, a very nice move from your part, appreciated!
ptrace

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 12:18:36 PM

https://novaexchange.com/market/BTC_SLM/

WOW, great! First SLM have arrived at the exchange.

Can we maybe get it listed on another exchange? BTER, Yobit, Cryptopia?
psycodad
Legendary

Activity: 1604
Merit: 1564

精神分析的爸

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 12:57:11 PM

I just feel like clearly stating that despite me proposing it, I have nothing at all to do with the recent listing at Novaexchange.
It seems the idea has come from Novaexchange themselves which somehow confirms me in my opinion of them. They seem to have added Slimcoin not because of a listing fee but because they think it is an innovative and honest coin. Though it might have still to early according to Graham.

cryptovore

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 03:10:23 PM

I just feel like clearly stating that despite me proposing it, I have nothing at all to do with the recent listing at Novaexchange.
It seems the idea has come from Novaexchange themselves which somehow confirms me in my opinion of them. They seem to have added Slimcoin not because of a listing fee but because they think it is an innovative and honest coin. Though it might have still to early according to Graham.

It's ok, I clearly understood that. Although it may feel too early, having it listed and with a much bigger (hopefully) network will help understand its quirks and, maybe, solve whatever problem may arise.

I saw the first 2 transactions, looks like there's a market maker bot on guard there.
gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2017, 04:21:20 PM

It does seem to be a unilateral action by the people who operate Novaexchange and it's to their credit that they don't feel the need for any bogus tokens of officialdom.

I took a long look at their “v2” API - if it closely matched other exchanges' “v2” API, then it could probably be adapted to work with one of the existing “trading” tabs. Disappointingly, it appears to be idiosyncratic, meaning that the JSON-handling code would require rewriting. Not that I'm convinced a Novaexchange-specific trading tab would be a welcome addition to Slimcoin but, otoh, that counts for naught in a peer-to-peer networked cryptocurrency that (I infer) develops on an evolutionary principle.

I didn't manage to identify canonically the declared operator “Dunkers IT”. Pages of T&Cs, Privacy, Rights, etc. have no legal force whatsoever unless made by an identifiable entity in the operator's legal jurisdiction - I mean, “Who are you gonna call?” to coin a phrase.

There's a “Dunkers IT” in .de but there's just not enough hard info in the placeholder page for me to be comfortable with the match and according to the DNSQuery service the IP address is apparently hosted in .se.

So, they're as unidentifiable in the real world as any other arbitrary peer in the Slimcoin network and will need to earn a positive reputation in the community, no differently to the rest of us.

Personally, as an individual member of this special interest group, I'm as sympathetic to their use of Slimcoin as I am to any other member's.

It's early in that there isn't an actual release yet. The other day, I flipped off the “release” tag in the build configuration:

https://github.com/slimcoin-project/Slimcoin/commit/3347eb4dc4cfa291f2517e5622457d7d63226916#diff-c61070c281aed6ded69036c08bd08addR27

which now causes the code in: https://github.com/slimcoin-project/Slimcoin/blob/master/src/main.cpp#L3150 to add the following warning to the foot of the wallet.

This is a pre-release test build - use at your own risk - do not use for mining or merchant applications

Un-setting the “release” flag is something I should have done back at the start of the migration but at that point I was more concerned with the sanity of the entire notion of migration than with devops nuances such as build release flags.

I've assessed what's involved in enabling OP_RETURN transactions [1, 2, 3 <-hint] to be processed as standard and it appears feasible. I'm working on the code in a new branch (feature.OP_RETURN and have set up a testnet to play with. The branch is non-functioning work-in-progress, the GUI components have been completed but it does not yet generate OP_RETURN transactions.

If anyone wants to keep abreast of developments in this branch ...

Code:
$ git clone https://github.com/slimcoin-project/slimcoin slimcoin.feature.OP_RETURN
$ cd slimcoin.feature.OP_RETURN
$ git checkout feature.OP_RETURN
$ qmake USE_QRCODE=1 FIRST_CLASS_MESSAGING=1 USE_UPNPC=1
$ mv slimcoin-qt slimcoin-testnet-qt
$ ./slimcoin-testnet-qt -testnet -port=41684 -rpcport=41685 addnode=144.76.64.49:41684

The above is a bit “prayerful” in that none of the slimcoin-testnet-qt command-line options should be necessary (the branch code is hard-wired to use testnet and the other bindings should automatically follow) but I'm not yet confident of the completeness of the separation between mainnet and testnet (getpeerinfo on testnet returns confusing results that include mainnet peers), so I added a couple of cc of mouse blood plus a few chicken feathers and it does seem to need them to work (getpeerinfo correctly returns only the one other testnet peer).

I've set the testnet server to setgenerate true 1 to keep the testnet network ticking over. The diff is artificially low (because it's a test network and needs to be cheap to run) and even my lappie can mine blocks.

[1] http://bitzuma.com/posts/op-return-and-the-future-of-bitcoin/
[2] https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/29554/explanation-of-what-an-op-return-transaction-looks-like
[3] https://github.com/elendirx/web2web/

Cheers

Graham

cryptovore

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 09:06:22 PM

That OP_RETURN approach is very interesting. I've been perusing the links you mentioned at the end of the post and I'm fascinated. As far as I understand, OP_RETURN will be limited to 40 bytes, which may, at best, be seen as a key for some other piece of information which can be referenced from there, not as a data storage (it will be strange, but not impossible). Still, having that key in an immutable blockchain opens the door to a lot of interesting pursuits.

I would be very curious to know more about your plans for OP_RETURN in the Slimcoin blockchain, when and if you want to reveal them.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... 159 »
  Print  

Jump to: