Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 09:21:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 10 and Bitcoin Discussion  (Read 7296 times)
Andy4.4

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 03:24:15 AM

It's reviews are good and not any big bug is found currently in it.

But still never gonna use it because windows 8 was also much appreciated in start but after time it became troublesome to use it.

So I'll wait for another year to see how it goes.
TransaDox

Activity: 219
Merit: 102

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 11:16:19 AM

Switch to Linux

Stick with Open source software.

Try Linux Mint

Sure. Because its not like Linux would track and log every website you visit,  conversion you have or file you have opened,  is it?
Reading Metadata is not like interpreting content as “similar”. Now where have I heard that before?  Cool
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2015, 12:05:34 PM

Damn, I'm glad that I didn't use the free Windows 10 upgrade.
I'll stick to Windows 8 for now Smiley

lottery248
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1005

beware of your keys.

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 12:20:25 PM

i am glad that i am using raspberry pi to type this post.
the nearby is my really old PC, but they are so much better than upgrading the windows 10.

out of ability to use the signature, i want a new ban strike policy that will fade the strike after 90~120 days of the ban and not to be traced back, like google | email me for anything urgent, message will possibly not be instantly responded
i am not really active for some reason
a7mos

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 12:23:08 PM

I did not try windows 10 yet but I read some weird things about it like it slowdown the internet connection and track all what you do
Nikinger

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 04:30:23 PM

No matter if Windows 10 is spyware or not, I don't think Microsoft has an incentive to steal an user's wallet but once when you're storing the wallet in the cloud unencrypted by your own, an employee could snatch the private key without you having any proof.

Since Windows 8, a paradigm change was introduced in a subtle way which is more than just spying around. It's the fact that Windows 8 and Windows 10 imports the well-accepted "app" concept for smartphones to the desktop, which includes mandatory phone-home and enforced signatures (it means: not being able to install arbitrary (unsigned) programs called "apps").
Despite the ability to turn off enforced signatures for apps in Windows 10 for now (it's called "developer mode"), Microsoft could take the next step soon, trying to apply the enforced signature concept to classic programs once it's widely accepted as well on desktop PCs.
Once when 99% of the users doesn't want to being able to run unsigned software, Microsoft could do the final step in removing the opt-out option for enforced signatures without having to deal with complaints, requiring you to jailbreak your own desktop PC in order to run unapproved software.

This concept could be enforced even on Linux if the future hardware components are forcing you to use TPM (Trusted Computing Module) - hopefully this will never happen.

1EwKrY5Bn3T47r4tYqSv6mMQkUyu7hZckV
Nikinger

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 05:15:47 PM

If that happens Windows would have shot themselves in the foot and Linux would easily take over, Microsoft needs to watch out with Linux being Free as well.
1. Microsoft will still keep the majority of users because most users will accept this or even doesn't care. Look at some smartphones like iPhone, look at the tablets: the concept of dictating the user what to do with his own machine works pretty well.
2. As long as TPM doesn't get enforced that way; yes, Linux could get a boost from geeks abandoning Windows because of this but Linux won't take over because most users don't care.

1EwKrY5Bn3T47r4tYqSv6mMQkUyu7hZckV
Thekool1s
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1218

Change is in your hands

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 05:32:28 PM

I started preview Win 10 long before I had an interest in Bitcoin, so I've had nothing but windows 10 since I joined here, i'm that new.. works great.. that said.. as I understand all the worries and so forth.. yes.. windows 10, has apps which stay in constant communications.. regardless if you turn them off.. however that said.. it isn't key strokes, logging, search patterns, information about the user.. it is.. as I follow , handshaking security between OS for OS.. for you, you, are protecting you... this is my pc, it says it is, it continues all it's handshaking life to continue to say it is.. keep other peoples software under control, cause Microsoft has this.. the rest.. I haven't a clue.. however.. look it up.. read about it.. it's been part of Windows 10 apps and written up in normal communications.. it's snot smoke and mirrors like many seem to fill their conspiracy minds with.. other wise, disregard.. have fun, i'm new.. or you could always go back to Win 7, better yet, convert to any Linux.. go Chrome.. nothings really stopping your choice in OS's

So, you do not want to turn them off for your and that Apps safety and use.. you can, turn off any personal, searching results, advertising.. all that, can and does get turned off.. no problem..

On another note.. how many have their phones or pc's setup for GPS / Location for their Music channel.. anyway.. security is an important matter.. steps made by apps to insure your safe use.. are part of the business norm...

exactly and we are believing a single person Cheesy I could also post some bullshit about linux etc will these people believe that too? Omg what has this world come too.
WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 05:36:56 PM

keep using windows 7 or 8.
because we are still doubting about the bugs in windows 10.
you won't understand what the bugs will affect your computer if you are not a pro of computing.
using windows 10 will need us to do lots of configuration to prevent privacy failure.
so the bitcoin privacy, even if it is Qt.
i am still using windows 7, at least i am not been affected by windows 10, because that is as easy as windows xp.

avoid using bitcoin wallet if you use windows 10 apparently.

Windows 7 was sweet i was happy with that and now im finding myself avoiding buying laptops with more recent windows because ive never downgraded a version so i have no idea how its done.
acquafredda
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1481

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 05:40:47 PM

If you are a bunch of wise bitcoiners you should not definitely upgrade to Windows 10.

For a series of simple reasons:

a. it's buggy;
b. if you don't revise the privacy settings you'll end up share everything with Windows;
c. why it is given for free from a corporation like that? Easy and clean because you're the product for them;
d. it has been presented as the best windows ever: it is not;
e. cortana is useless.

the list goes on and on...

I will definitely not upgrade windows 7 to windows 10 on my main computer. But I am seriously considering doing it on my laptop which has windows 8.1 installed. I really don't like windows 8  Lips sealed

I think I will wait a few more months to let Microsoft implement important bugfixes before I install windows 10.

I quote myself since we started this conversation a while ago.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 05:41:38 PM

the nearby is my really old PC, but they are so much better than upgrading the windows 10.
This is ridiculous, Windows is not storing logs and logs of forum post in a database somewhere, it just wouldn't make sense. They are looking for keywords for ads like google does when you use their browsers. There is far too much paranoia that you are using a slow arm pc instead of a standard computer.

All a sys admin at microsoft needs to do is cherry pick the data collected from their enormous user base to find bitcoin (crypto) related passwords.

Steal coins and there is 0 recourse for the owner of the coins (well, the original owner  Wink)

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 05:43:32 PM

No matter if Windows 10 is spyware or not, I don't think Microsoft has an incentive to steal an user's wallet but once when you're storing the wallet in the cloud unencrypted by your own, an employee could snatch the private key without you having any proof.

Since Windows 8, a paradigm change was introduced in a subtle way which is more than just spying around. It's the fact that Windows 8 and Windows 10 imports the well-accepted "app" concept for smartphones to the desktop, which includes mandatory phone-home and enforced signatures (it means: not being able to install arbitrary (unsigned) programs called "apps").
Despite the ability to turn off enforced signatures for apps in Windows 10 for now (it's called "developer mode"), Microsoft could take the next step soon, trying to apply the enforced signature concept to classic programs once it's widely accepted as well on desktop PCs.
Once when 99% of the users doesn't want to being able to run unsigned software, Microsoft could do the final step in removing the opt-out option for enforced signatures without having to deal with complaints, requiring you to jailbreak your own desktop PC in order to run unapproved software.

This concept could be enforced even on Linux if the future hardware components are forcing you to use TPM (Trusted Computing Module) - hopefully this will never happen.

This ^ times 21,000,000

Any data collected by Windows 10 and sent to MS servers can be filtered to find private keys that are typed in or passwords to wallets (online or not). MS employee does a data analysis and takes the data the matches what they are looking for and can steal a users bitcoins or other crypto coins.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

TransaDox

Activity: 219
Merit: 102

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 06:21:28 PM

If that happens Windows would have shot themselves in the foot and Linux would easily take over, Microsoft needs to watch out with Linux being Free as well.

I don't think so. Linux has always been free so you have to ask yourself. All things being equal, why do people pay money for something that they can get for free?

The Linux community didn't capitalise on the abomination of Windows Vista. They didn't capitalise on Windows 8 debacle. Are they going to capitalise on Windows 10? Probably not.

Some in the Linux community ask "When will it be the year of the Linux Desktop". They pine for market dominance for a superior operating system. They definitely have the cheapest. They probably have the best hardware support (it runs on anything). It runs most of the internet, TVs and phones even. Yet they still can't get their parents, siblings and aunties and uncles to use it.

When they understand why, instead of snorting derision. When they pool their expertise instead of feuding between distros. When they make things easy because simple has become cool - that year will be the year of the Linux Desktop.
onemorexmr

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 07:19:40 PM

That doesn't change that you can turn off all of these settings and if your security is a large priority you should be investing an a hardware wallet anyways and none of this would be an issue.

1) that doesnt help pc-newbs, which dont know this and just using defaults
2) tests have shown that there is still information submitted to ms - even if everything is turned off (but i am not sure what is transmitted in that case)

imho any os should never contact its vendor. only if a user tells it to do it...and yes this includes automatic updates (at least for me).

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
onemorexmr

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 08:57:32 PM

That doesn't change that you can turn off all of these settings and if your security is a large priority you should be investing an a hardware wallet anyways and none of this would be an issue.

1) that doesnt help pc-newbs, which dont know this and just using defaults
2) tests have shown that there is still information submitted to ms - even if everything is turned off (but i am not sure what is transmitted in that case)

imho any os should never contact its vendor. only if a user tells it to do it...and yes this includes automatic updates (at least for me).
PC-Newbs probably aren't storing bitcoin on their computer and if they are newbs are highly susceptible to losing it. For your number two your right no OS should contact its vendor but we are more on the side of this is our product and let it be ours (this seems to be the bitcoin community as a whole) Software developers seem to be on the other side of this is ours and we are leasing it to you.

well.. i am a developer... but my boss wants our software to talk home. so please dont blame us Wink

bitcoin is money. i know a few people who uses it and arent pc-experts. if much pc knowlegde would be needed to use it, it is a total fail (imho).

at home i only use linux for various reasons.

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 09:37:49 AM

I've read somewhere that they've changed their EULA again? Looks like I will have to downgrade my Windows 10 system again due to these privacy concerns. I definitely do not want Microsoft to hold information as leverage against me in the future.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 10:03:56 AM

This is ridiculous, Windows is not storing logs and logs of forum post in a database somewhere, it just wouldn't make sense. They are looking for keywords for ads like google does when you use their browsers. There is far too much paranoia that you are using a slow arm pc instead of a standard computer.

All a sys admin at microsoft needs to do is cherry pick the data collected from their enormous user base to find bitcoin (crypto) related passwords.

Steal coins and there is 0 recourse for the owner of the coins (well, the original owner  Wink)
Because this software is closed source how do you know that if you "turn off" all of the appropriate settings for security/privacy that it is fully off and not logging your key strokes anyway?

Do you have access to the Windows 10 source? If so please link me to it.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

onemorexmr

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 10:06:58 AM

Because this software is closed source how do you know that if you "turn off" all of the appropriate settings for security/privacy that it is fully off and not logging your key strokes anyway?

Do you have access to the Windows 10 source? If so please link me to it.

you dont need sourcecode to verify if there is anything submitted to ms.
a linux router with iptables -j LOG is enough.

but the question is (and you are right with that) you need the source to see WHAT is transmitted.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 10:17:09 AM

link: http://localghost.org/posts/a-traffic-analysis-of-windows-10

Information transmitted
All text typed on the keyboard is stored in temporary files, and sent (once per 30 mins) to:

oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
pre.footprintpredict.com
reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com

There isn't a clear purpose for this, considering there there's no autocorrect/prediction anywhere in the OS (There is autocorrect in certain text fields, but the supposed purpose for transmitting these keystrokes is to improve autocorrect across devices. Whether a full keylog is necessary for this (as opposed to just corrections) is questionable. Furthermore, this appears to still occur even if the user is not signed in to a Microsoft account, eliminating the "across devices" benefit. Perhaps there is a global autocorrect dictionary that benefits all users, but the privacy implications of an un-disableable always-on keylogger outweigh these potential benefits.). The implications of this are significant: because this is an OS-level keylogger, all the data you're trying to transmit securely is now sitting on some MS server. This includes passwords and encrypted chats. This also includes the on-screen keyboard, so there is no way to authenticate to a website without MS also getting your password.

When a webcam is first enabled, ~35mb of data gets immediately transmitted to:
oca.telemetry.microsoft.com
vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
i1.services.social.microsoft.com
i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net

Everything that is said into an enabled microphone is immediately transmitted to:
oca.telemetry.microsoft.com
vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
pre.footprintpredict.com
i1.services.social.microsoft.com
i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
telemetry.appex.bing.net
telemetry.urs.microsoft.com
cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net
statsfe1.ws.microsoft.com

"If this weren't bad enough, this behaviour still occurs after Cortana is fully disabled/uninstalled. It's speculated that the purpose of this function to build up a massive voice database, then tie those voices to identities, and eventually be able to identify anyone simply by picking up their voice, whether it be a microphone in a public place or a wiretap on a payphone.
Interestingly, if Cortana is enabled, the voice is first transcribed to text, then the transcription is sent to:"

pre.footprintpredict.com
reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
df.telemetry.microsoft.com

"If Windows is left unattended for ~15 mins, a large volume of traffic starts being transmitted to various servers. This may be the raw audio data, rather than just samples."

OTHER CONCERNS

"While the inital reflex may be to block all of the above servers via HOSTS, it turns out this won't work: Microsoft has taken the care to hardcode certain IPs, meaning that there is no DNS lookup and no HOSTS consultation. However, if the above servers are blocked via HOSTS, Windows will pretend to be crippled by continuously throwing errors, while still maintaining data collection in the background. Other than an increase in errors, HOSTS blocking did not affect the volume, frequency, or rate of data being transmitted."

Shocked Shocked Shocked

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

TinEye

Activity: 639
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 10:25:30 AM

the only way is to have two OS, one for sensitive informations like windows 7 and another one for everything else which isn't important even if they can retrieve information from it, this is the case of windows 10
by doing this you won't deprive yourself from using the new windows, while you can secure your privacy, and the best way would be a VM with windows 10 and the main machine with windows 7

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                                                                   ▄█████████                  ██████
                                                                   ███    ███                 ██   ██
         ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████    ██████████████████████   ████████▀
        ██            ▄█          █▄                 █▄          ███            █▄          █        ▄██▀
       ██            ██           ███                ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ███            ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ██   █████▀
       ██   █████    ██   ████   ████   ██     ██    ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██    ██████   ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██   ████▀
      ██    █████   ██    ████   ████   ██     ██   ██          ███   ██████   ██          ██   ████▀
      ██            ██           ███   ███    ███   ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀███            ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀██   ▀▀▀████
      ███           ██▄            █   ██     ██    ██▄          █             ▀█▄          ██      ███
       █████████   ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
      ██           ██
    ██▀           ███
  ████████████████▀
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: